Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shoota_McG
Sep 8, 2004
We've been doing a small lemons rally with friends up in northern Alberta for like seven years now. We all spend about $500 (or less) on a car, then go bag them in a friend's field. The cost rules are loose and unenforced, but I think the most expensive cars are a few Imprezzas and I don't think any of them were over $600.

People have really started to get competitive and I'm not much of a mechanic so I don't take as much enjoyment out of the racing itself any more. I spend more time filming and do a bit of driving. We tear out the interiors, carve up the tires, and replace the coolant with straight water (the cows who usually call the field home don't like coolant in their bellies).

Some notable cars in the history of the rally are a fleet of Acura Integras (many of these lasted multiple years and over 300k km on the clock), a 98 Imprezza 2.5 RS, a bug eye Imprezza wagon, a late 90s Imprezza wagon, a 7th gen Celica GT, a mk1 MR2, a Mazdaspeed6 (somehow it wasn't even a write off). My lovely cars tend to be boring but reliable since I'm not going to fix them - I've had a 92 Chevy Corsica (dog), 93 Civic CX auto (slow), 95 Sunfire GT (underwhelming), 93 Integra GS (actually ok).

I made a thread each time I made a video. I didn't make a video last year because I wasn't sure I could get close to my 2015 video so I rolled 2016 and 2017 footage into one video here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZUf_v4FT_Yo&t=1s

Here are the older videos, all of them were made by me except for the 2011 Trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=playlist

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
I keep meaning to bug you guys for an invite, but it sure looks like fun. Sort of unfortunate to hear that people are getting competitive, that's usually the first step to someone getting hurt.

As always I think the secret would be to show up with like two or three Cavaliers so you have spares. They're not fast (as you've found) but they're survivors. I see a few Saturns and Neons in the footage as well.

How hogged out was that 2.5RS coupe?

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 06:27 on Aug 1, 2017

Shoota_McG
Sep 8, 2004
I don't think there were any Saturns but maybe one in years past. I believe there was a Neon ACR coupe though.

I don't know what hogged out means but the 2.5 RS was pretty nice. If I remember correctly it was bought off some old lady for right around $500. That car won the rally two or three times now, beating the Mazdaspeed6 both years that car was there.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
Thank you for posting this, every time I see it, it looks like a total blast.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

That looks cool as hell, too bad about it getting more competitive.

Where do you run this? North of Edmonton?

Shoota_McG
Sep 8, 2004

slidebite posted:

That looks cool as hell, too bad about it getting more competitive.

Where do you run this? North of Edmonton?

About 90 minutes NW of Edmonton yeah. That 2.5 RS cleaned up the last few years. It's fun but I have no
aspirations of beating those guys.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Shoota_McG posted:

It's fun but I have no aspirations of beating those guys.
You could always employ the time-honoured technique of racing teams the world over, and cheat outrageously.

Shoota_McG
Sep 8, 2004

InitialDave posted:

You could always employ the time-honoured technique of racing teams the world over, and cheat outrageously.

Shopping for over priced WRXes now!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ri7xl8cZ6AQ&t=48s

• Locked thread