Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
What about Key West

they seem a little freaky but in a good way

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Actually pretty normal. B-1s took over that particular job from B-52s last year I think.

B-1s don't carry nukes btw

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

suboptimal posted:

https://twitter.com/MalcolmNance/status/895973426330054656

Good little tweet series that shows that no, we are not in fact locked and loaded, and are quite far from it.

Man, that 25th amendment can't get invoked soon enough. I'd rather have Pence, or gently caress even Mattis couping Trump, than the orange one bumbling his way into WWIII.
I've got a hair up my butt (again) about him implying that B-1s are nuke-capable (at the moment) but yeah he's right. Wake me up when freight trains loaded down with Abrams tanks are heading toward the West Coast.

Seriously though you can't find a precedent for Trump among American presidents. Even the Republicans from the Gilded Age don't fit. You've got to go back to Roman times and their decadent emperors.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

psydude posted:

Dr. Strangelove really did a great job of capturing the mentality of the military leadership during the cold war. I think today's military brass have little interest in starting a massive war just for the hell of it, particularly since most of them were company grade and field grade officers during Iraq and saw the direct result of what barreling into one just for shits and giggles does.
Air Force also got high on the fumes of burning Japanese cities in WWII and went murder-crazy.

Yeah I agree though and while the cult of personality around Mattis for instance is pretty eyerollworthy, he has a reputation for not being an idiot, getting close to what's going on, leading men in combat.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Handsome Ralph posted:

Yeah this is probably true.

I agree that Mattis is a good guy though. I'd like to think if I ever met him, I'd spend more time talking to him about his favorite books than anything else.
Yeah totally. He also seems to realize the limits of military force, which is what that whole "have a plan" thing is really about from my reading, to simplify it. Just throwing bodies at a problem just makes dead bodies.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

ColonelJohnMatrix posted:

China finally drawing a line is hopefully a good thing as it makes it very clear that no one better shoot first, lest they want to go to war with China. I would think in most cases that this would be enough of a deterrent to get both sides to settle the gently caress down....except both of these world leaders are man-children dolts who are probably more afraid of looking weak than they are taking the world into WW3.
China is in a position now where that threat means something, too. Yeah, those Pacific air bases you need to fight another Korean War? Would be a shame if something happened to them.

Though I think Trump's blustering is mainly intended for a domestic audience. People should interpret Trump's rhetoric like they would a Gaddafi, Putin, etc.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Casimir Radon posted:

If you watch PBS's Carrier, which you shouldn't because it will only piss you off, you get to see the story of an idiot enlistee who gets kicked out for racism. At one point during a shore leave a black petty officer had a heart to heart with him about how his worldview is hosed up and he has to stop blaming everything on his upbringing. Unfortunately he was too drunk to remember any of this, and continues being an idiot even after being shown a video of the conversation. He gets thrown out not long after that.

That's not even the worst thing in the show. That would be when this SARC (or whatever the Navy called it at the time) volunteer rapes someone, and she decides to tell her command that it was consensual so she doesn't wreck his career. At that point I did a bunch of swearing and turned that poo poo off forever. Also the music really sucks.
I vaguely remember the show interviewed one sailor who enlisted and wound up as a cook onboard the carrier and suffice to say she hated her job.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

psydude posted:

The economy is fine. That is to say, the economic output of the United States is fine. Note that this is independent of the median wage or purchasing power parity of working-class people.

And again, can anyone actually produce a study that demonstrates that poor economic outlook among rural Americans is correlated to participation in white supremacy or neo-nazi organizations?

I have a hunch it's more of a function of:
I live in Texas which has a lot of lovely rural towns where the young people get out if they can. I'm thinking of places like Sherman, Longview, Big Spring, etc. There are a million of these towns. Most of the population growth in the big Texas cities are from rural parts of the state. Some of these are really bad -- as in you can get a shotgun pulled on you for looking at a neighbor the wrong way.

There are nice small towns, though. One of my favorites is Fredericksburg because of the local wine industry, and tourism has saved the town. It's also a historically German-American region and the town promotes that as an attraction. But that rests on inviting people in and being "open" I guess. Even though I wouldn't exactly describe the area as being culturally like the coasts. It's conservative but feels welcoming to many different people.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
I know city workers were pulling knives out of bushes. That came up before the rally and my reaction was uhhh this is gonna be bad.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Occupy Wall Street was a weird fusion of left-wing and right-wing, with some young guys who were the first to livestream protests at OWS back then drifting over into the alt-right in 2015-2016. I think they were Ron Paul libertarians at the time. Now they worship Pinochet and joke about throwing communists out of helicopters. Ideological evolution is a hell of a thing.

I also remember living in Austin and listening to Alex Jones on the radio (on FM radio there!) about how the "1776 patriots" needed to join OWS and steer it toward Ending Da Fed.

BrutalistMcDonalds fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Aug 17, 2017

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Juan McClane

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Internet Wizard posted:

For anybody curious about whether WAKE UP AMERICA coffee is good, it's better than like folger's or other pre-ground stuff I guess. Not as good as most of the Black Rifle beans I've had though.

One of the guys at my unit got it for me for my birthday as a joke. I keep the free literature at my desk in case anybody needs to be educated on the constitution or the evils of the communist manifesto.
Hah. I got some WAKE UP AMERICA as a birthday joke from my brother. I burst out laughing when opening the box. It was pretty good!

Jones is a hack fraud, but he sells a decent coffee.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Photo:

https://twitter.com/mykamarul/status/899447417170403328

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

LostCosmonaut posted:

Looking like Texas might eat a hurricane Friday/this weekend.

it gon rain
Well it looks like the core of it will miss Galveston thank God. That city has suffered enough of the Lord's wrath.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
The best argument I heard in defense of antifa is that fascism exploits a flaw in liberalism, since fascists want to use free speech to gain enough power to destroy it before going full Terminator on everyone. So under a liberal framework, you're caught in a trap of allowing fascists and neo-Nazis to use free speech to destroy you, or you destroy their free speech to protect yours.

Antifa types, who are mostly anarchists, don't buy that framework and they see fascism as a threat to humanity which must be stomped out immediately. They also don't believe that stomping them makes the fascists stronger, the idea behind it being to make it costly for neo-Nazis to organize openly. If they want to have a big rally, then antifa will make sure it doesn't happen without chaos breaking out and a state of emergency being declared, like throwing a monkeywrench into the machinery of a would-be totalitarian state before it gets its engine revved up. Fascism is all about well-ordered rituals and intimidating displays of power, and what antifa does is more akin to sabotage.

And predictably enough, these neo-Nazi groups tend to collapse into infighting once that happens.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gLvcrsbliOo

Punching a reporter, bystander or smashing a Starbucks window, I don't get it and don't like it. But I'm sympathetic to the other stuff.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

LordNad posted:

I turned 18 and 9/11 happened while in bootcamp.

lmfao at me
Was it like that scene in Starship Troopers

BadOptics posted:

Edit: :tinfoil:Unless they are trying to get rid of the Air Force.:tinfoil:
Good idea.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Blind Rasputin posted:

What the gently caress?

Edit: oh I think I get it. They were scouring the sea bottom and found an unrelated dead dude in that harbor. Business as usual move along.
Some Malaysian crime family is going :doh:

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
I'm waiting for one of the dams to burst and flood that nuclear power plant in the rain zone. Texas Fukushima.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Would also work as a character in a cyberpunk novel.

But yeah apparently the plant in Matagorda County, one of the two nuke plants in the state, is vulnerable to being knocked out by an upstream dam failure. I'm ready for the Matagorda Zone.

Edit: Dolph Lundgren owns btw. He's my favorite of the 80s action stars.

BrutalistMcDonalds fucked around with this message at 10:17 on Aug 25, 2017

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
I live down the street practically from the FEMA Region VI headquarters (got a cool decommissioned nuclear war bunker underneath) so I bet there will be a lot of busy bees coming to and from soon if this storm goes badly.

If FEMA will even do anything haha

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

LITERALLY SHAKING posted:

I saw that too. Goddamn what a clusterfuck the news cycle is right now.
The news media is so pathetic and obsequious

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
I dunno military people can be pretty violent just go into a titty bar in this city I know because poo poo will go down.

U want to see some poo poo

Some titties

Some drunk armymen making poor decisions?

And that city my friends is Killeen, Texas

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

bird cooch posted:

Deal with the problem children when the nazis/white supremacists/alt right is back under the rock they crawled out from. Blac bloc, juggalos, whatever. Good on em. If they want to stomp assholes fine by me. Enemy of my enemy is my friend.

If this situation was larger and set in the ME these guys would be who? The kurds?
Well since you mentioned it...

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
You can get punched in the jaw for saying a lot of poo poo in America to the wrong people at the wrong time in the wrong place.

My mother called me after that Nazi rally because she was upset by it. Call me old-fashioned but these assholes upset my mother, you know? I don't care if it's against the law I'll punch a Nazi over that. They have an upsetting-my-mother debt to be repaid.

I was going to punch my uncle because he said some unforgivable things to her, but I haven't because he isn't invited to her house anymore. I would've had problems the one time I've seen him since, but it was at a church during a wedding -- so everyone was on their best behavior.

I mean we've got to have some standards.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Anta posted:

Fascists worship strength, their recruiting is directly linked to how strong and successful they seem. Making them seem like victims is bad for them and directly hurts their recruiting. Punching Nazis is not only good, it's necessary.
Nazis are like Klingons. How did Riker survive when he served on that Klingon ship? The Bird of Prey? He found the biggest Klingon on the bridge and punched him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
As a civilian I want to... thank everyone for their service haha

• Locked thread