Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

Two Finger posted:

Not that any of you give a gently caress but our left wingers are now leading the polls four weeks out from the election

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=11914816

Just in time to help our Labor party overthrow the Government!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!
Houston update:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Drugs/comments/6wtaz8/80_gel_caps_during_hurricane_harvey/

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.

Two Finger posted:

Not that any of you give a gently caress but our left wingers are now leading the polls four weeks out from the election

I got excited since I thought it would be england

then I found out it was englands equivalent to guam

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country
Chemical plant went kaboom.
https://apnews.com/43288ccafa394ae59fd8a548b23a29a1

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

bird cooch posted:

Man I went down a rabbit hole running these images down through tineye back to 2015 and trying to find context. Best I got was that Kurdish YPG received backing from German antifa at some point. (Top and bottom pic)

The pic in the middle is almost certainly a composite image and was posted to Reddit like this first.

By a portuguese dude (who spends a lot of time defending Franco and Stalin) then on to the Donald in both cropped and uncropped form.
From there it was cropped down and had text added and removed

That dude's fonts are all messed up, the Arabic bit is actually a translation of the English part, but it's written so you have to read it left to right instead of in the correct right to left. It's also why the letters don't connect like they're supposed to. This is a pretty common mistake made by westerners. The UN logo used in some Marvel movies does the same thing.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Also grover continues to deliver

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
I don't know how much weight I can give to the "don't punch Nazis, they'll be the victims!" idea. They're going to say they're the victims no matter what.

If nobody is punching Nazis for real to make them afraid, they'll get together and make that violence in accordance with their ideology then claim it was them being attacked, woe is us look at how poorly everyone treats us we just wanted to talk, super pinky swear.

They will manufacture the victim status people are so worried about, but when they get to choose where and how that violence happens people much more vulnerable will get hurt or killed. Again.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
Remember how Black Lives Matter are the real racists and violent people? (This is old news but often worth a reminder)

http://www.startribune.com/exhibits-from-scarsella-trial-display-deep-rooted-racism-before-night-protesters-were-shot/413455593/

quote:

“Someone needs to go down there and make all those dumb [racial slur] afraid to leave the safety of their own houses,” he wrote in March 2015.

That’s among the newly released text messages, photos and videos filed as exhibits in Scarsella’s trial, which resulted in a jury convicting him earlier in February on 12 counts of felony first-degree assault and riot for shooting five Black Lives Matter protesters on Nov., 23, 2015.
He is scheduled to be sentenced on March 10. Hennepin County Attorney Mike Freeman said he will seek the maximum sentence of nearly 20 years in prison, although he noted that 12 to 17 years would be more likely.

Scarsella and three friends said they went to north Minneapolis’ Fourth Police Precinct that night to livestream an ongoing protest of the death of Jamar Clark, who had been shot and killed a few days earlier during a scuffle with police.

Texts and photos taken from Scarsella’s cellphone and computer, many of which were not presented at trial, show a deeply racist man who talked about being part of a “reserve militia.” He took selfies with his gun in his waistband, wrote frequently about shooting blacks and was passionate about the gun he would eventually use to shoot protesters.

In a follow-up text to the one about Brown and Ferguson, Scarsella referred to blacks as “uneducated monkeys” and that he wanted to make black parents huddle with their children in their homes, “hoping and praying that I pass them by without killing every firstborn black in the neighborhood.”

In another text message not presented at the trial he wrote, “I’ve come to the conclusion that black people should be mandated to have a permit in order to reproduce.” On his computer, Scarsella had photos of swastikas, Hitler, and an image that read “Hitler did nothing wrong.”

Though the jury didn’t see that during trial, they did have access to those exhibits while they deliberated for about eight hours before finding Scarsella guilty.

During the trial, prosecutors showed the jury several other racist texts Scarsella sent to friends, including one where he asked someone “to come practice for when we have to shoot black guys.”

When he testified, Scarsella claimed he shot in self-defense after the protesters ran at him. He responded “yes” when the prosecutor asked if the texts were “just words” that didn’t mean anything to him. Others were just jokes not meant to be taken seriously, he said.

He also said he was “ignorant” about the issues people of color face.

“I think that led me to the texts I sent,” he said.

When Scarsella’s friend and co-defendant Nathan Gustavsson testified, it allowed the prosecution to introduce an image taken off his phone. That showed a rifle pointed at a crude, racist drawing of a black man.

Gustavsson, 22, of Hermantown; Daniel Macey, 27, of Pine City, and Joseph Backman, 28, of Eagan, are charged with second-degree riot and aiding an offender.

The videos of the shooting before and after it happened were also released on Thursday, including three that had never been shown publicly before the trial. They include surveillance video of the four men arriving at the Black Lives Matter encampment, where after a few minutes they are quickly surrounded by protesters.

Many of the protesters wanted them to take their masks off or leave. Another video, taken from a cellphone, shows the four fleeing from the protest and ends just moments before the shots were fired. The next shows the chaos after Scarsella fired his gun, including the scramble to get help for the victims and the anguished screams of Tevin King after he was shot in the stomach. King was the most seriously injured of the five shooting victims, with the bullet remaining in his body to this day.

Gee, judge and jury, it was just some words and jokes, why you mad that after I expressed a desire to kill black people, I shot a bunch of black people?

lmbo, they went by the callsigns Saiga Marine and Blackpowder Ranger. ffs.

mlmp08 fucked around with this message at 13:29 on Aug 31, 2017

Anta
Mar 5, 2007

What a nice day for a gassing

bird food bathtub posted:

I don't know how much weight I can give to the "don't punch Nazis, they'll be the victims!" idea. They're going to say they're the victims no matter what.

If nobody is punching Nazis for real to make them afraid, they'll get together and make that violence in accordance with their ideology then claim it was them being attacked, woe is us look at how poorly everyone treats us we just wanted to talk, super pinky swear.

They will manufacture the victim status people are so worried about, but when they get to choose where and how that violence happens people much more vulnerable will get hurt or killed. Again.

Fascists worship strength, their recruiting is directly linked to how strong and successful they seem. Making them seem like victims is bad for them and directly hurts their recruiting. Punching Nazis is not only good, it's necessary.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
https://twitter.com/elijahdaniel/status/902977999733215233

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

That's a funny name for Detroit.

mlmp08 posted:

Remember how Black Lives Matter are the real racists and violent people? (This is old news but often worth a reminder)

http://www.startribune.com/exhibits-from-scarsella-trial-display-deep-rooted-racism-before-night-protesters-were-shot/413455593/

Gee, judge and jury, it was just some words and jokes, why you mad that after I expressed a desire to kill black people, I shot a bunch of black people?

lmbo, they went by the callsigns Saiga Marine and Blackpowder Ranger. ffs.

Saw this related story on Google News this morning:

Officer to woman during traffic stop: 'We only kill black people, right?' (dashcam footage in the link)

quote:

COBB COUNTY, Ga. - Exclusive dash-cam video obtained by Channel 2 Action News caught an officer’s interaction with a woman who said she was afraid to move her hands during a traffic stop.

Cobb County police Chief Mike Register told Channel 2 Investigative Reporter Mark Winne that after Channel 2 Action News submitted an open-records request, he and his command staff looked at the video.

“Remember, we only kill black people. We only kill black people, right?” the Cobb County police officer can be heard saying on the video.

On Friday, they opened an internal investigation.

Register said the officer heard on video is Lt. Greg Abbott. Register said Abbott has been assigned to administrative duties pending the outcome of the investigation.

According to Register, the recording is part of a DUI stop. The woman said she was hesitant to put her hands down to pick up a cellphone because she didn’t want to get shot.

“No matter what context it was said, it shouldn’t have been said,” Register said.

Suri Chadha Jimenez, who is representing the woman in the case, said he believes the officer was being sarcastic after the woman “gave him some lip.”

“It makes you cringe when you hear it. It’s unacceptable,” Jimenez said.

Jimenez says the fear minorities have when stopped is real.

Abbott’s attorney Lance LoRusso gave Channel 2 Action News the following statement:

"Lt. Greg Abbott is a highly respected 28-year veteran of the Cobb County Police Department. He is cooperating with the department's internal investigation and will continue to do so. His comments must be observed in their totality to understand their context. He was attempting to de-escalate a situation involving an uncooperative passenger. In context, his comments were clearly aimed at attempting to gain compliance by using the passenger's own statements and reasoning to avoid making an arrest.”

Register said Abbott had been a good officer and he wasn’t aware of any racial bias complaints.

“We’re not making excuses. We’re meeting this head-on and we’re going to deal with it,” Register said.

According to Register, the incident happened last year, before he became chief. This was also before an International Association of Chiefs of Police report gave the Cobb Police Department a high community approval rating, but also mentioned a perception of discriminatory and biased policing.

Register said they’ve responded to the report by instituting a faith forum, precinct discussion groups, training changes and more.

“We are going to keep going forward to make sure we, as a police department, service the community in a most professional way -- all segments of the community,” Register said.

Emphasis mine. "I was only trying to talk this white woman out of an arrest by making a seriously racist comment. I mean, if she was black I would've shot her yeah but let's be real here."

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Anta posted:

Fascists worship strength, their recruiting is directly linked to how strong and successful they seem. Making them seem like victims is bad for them and directly hurts their recruiting. Punching Nazis is not only good, it's necessary.

Fair enough, I wasn't thinking about their recruiting efforts. I was addressing how they'll hide behind everyone else's desire to not have the world be a violent, unstable place while working very hard to make that exist for their targeted minorities. Letting them go and not confronting them in the current environment just lets them target who they want and manufacture that violence anyway.

The time for letting peaceful condemnation and governing bodies take care of the problem ended when the head of that body publicly gave them permission with his speeches and started slinging pardons.

Tremblay
Oct 8, 2002
More dog whistles than a Petco

bird food bathtub posted:

Fair enough, I wasn't thinking about their recruiting efforts. I was addressing how they'll hide behind everyone else's desire to not have the world be a violent, unstable place while working very hard to make that exist for their targeted minorities. Letting them go and not confronting them in the current environment just lets them target who they want and manufacture that violence anyway.

The time for letting peaceful condemnation and governing bodies take care of the problem ended when the head of that body publicly gave them permission with his speeches and started slinging pardons.

Well then you giant pussy. What's with the half measures? Fists? Rocks? What are you a Palestinian street urchin? Why don't your really take care of those Nazis.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Thwomp posted:

Emphasis mine. "I was only trying to talk this white woman out of an arrest by making a seriously racist comment. I mean, if she was black I would've shot her yeah but let's be real here."

How is that even a racist comment? It was essentially an anti-cop statement.

I'm usually ready to board the ACAB train but this is dumb as gently caress.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Jarmak posted:

How is that even a racist comment?

We only kill ..... blacks.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Two Finger posted:

So did ours.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

Tremblay posted:

Well then you giant pussy. What's with the half measures? Fists? Rocks? What are you a Palestinian street urchin? Why don't your really take care of those Nazis.

You're a loving idiot. Societies keep the members of their society in line by formal sanctions (the police, judges) and informal sanctions (not inviting people to parties that are rude, stomping nazis the gently caress out). Laws can't govern everything. There isn't a a formal sanction against saying "all niggers should die" but if you don't think there should be informal sanctions then I'm not really sure if you get how societies work on a basic level. Just like laws, informal sanctions have varying degrees of punishment. There

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Godholio posted:

So did ours.

:wrong:

The democrats are not left wingers.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

ElMaligno posted:

:wrong:

The democrats are not left wingers.

K

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

Heard on the news we just flew a bunch of bombers over NK as a show of force. Seems empty and stupid.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Blind Rasputin posted:

Heard on the news we just flew a bunch of bombers over NK as a show of force. Seems empty and stupid.

Se me false too.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

Blind Rasputin posted:

WERE THEY NAZI BOMBERS?!

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

BigDave posted:

WERE THEY NAZI BOMBERS?!

Don't know, I did nazi see them

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

BigDave posted:

WERE THEY NAZI BOMBERS?!

gonna punch some planes brb

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

gonna punch some planes brb

Go punch a T-37, make some AF cadets cry.

Poppyseed Poundcake
Feb 23, 2007

Jarmak posted:

How is that even a racist comment? It was essentially an anti-cop statement.

That cop is so stupid he doesn't realize that cops kill more whites than blacks. What idiot doesn't even know who to kill.

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

sarcasm gonna get a lotta people fired

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

Smiling Jack posted:

sarcasm gonna get a lotta people fired

4chan made it ok to be ironicly racist and ironicly a nazi. Sarcasm comes home to roost when reality catches up to sarcasm. Firing them would be the least punishment.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

M_Gargantua posted:

4chan made it ok to be ironicly racist and ironicly a nazi. Sarcasm comes home to roost when reality catches up to sarcasm. Firing them would be the least punishment.

As an old 4chan user (like 2006) it was going on longer than that, but it really concentrated the hate, and the anonymous posting brought out the worst in people.

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

M_Gargantua posted:

if you think sarcasm deserves worse punishment then getting fired I should probably just light myself on fire

I have no idea what the rest of your post means

Tremblay
Oct 8, 2002

45 ACP CURES NAZIS posted:

You're a loving idiot. Societies keep the members of their society in line by formal sanctions (the police, judges) and informal sanctions (not inviting people to parties that are rude, stomping nazis the gently caress out). Laws can't govern everything. There isn't a a formal sanction against saying "all niggers should die" but if you don't think there should be informal sanctions then I'm not really sure if you get how societies work on a basic level. Just like laws, informal sanctions have varying degrees of punishment. There

Maybe, and I totally appreciate the condescending tone.

What part of the "traditional" social contract of "physically assaulting people because of what they said is bad" don't you loving understand?

Why don't you loving understand that you and a poo poo load of other people are arguing for, or have already pushed a new social contract that encourages physical violence in response to speech.

Why don't you loving understand that mentality will lead to increased violence.

Why don't you loving understand that like prank wars, this poo poo will escalate.

I fully support the ability for individuals to defend themselves.

I'm not drawing any equivalence between "both sides".

Here are a few standalone statements:

gently caress facism.

gently caress racists.

gently caress self aggrandizing retards like you pushing for violence.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

Smiling Jack posted:

if you think sarcasm deserves worse punishment then getting fired I should probably just light myself on fire

I have no idea what the rest of your post means

I mean if youre sarcasticly a Klansman. Consistently, I'm not talking about bad jokes, but a pattern of behavior. If you are sarcasticly/ironicly a nazi/white supremist/klansman on a regular basis, guess what, you might actually just be a nazi/white supremists/klansman

Much like if you constantly make sexist and misogynistic remarks at work with your bros, you might just have issues with women

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Tremblay posted:

Why don't you loving understand that you and a poo poo load of other people are arguing for, or have already pushed a new social contract that encourages physical violence in response to speech.

Are you talking about the beating black guys with sticks speech or the driving a car into a crowd speech

Tremblay
Oct 8, 2002

FAUXTON posted:

Are you talking about the beating black guys with sticks speech or the driving a car into a crowd speech

I view those incidents as assault, murder + a dash of attempted murder.

I don't view them as speech.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Hmm yes, Nazis and White supremacists have been resurgent in recent years because of excessive violence against them in the last decade.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

Tremblay posted:

Maybe, and I totally appreciate the condescending tone.

What part of the "traditional" social contract of "physically assaulting people because of what they said is bad" don't you loving understand?

Ok so how do you suggest the state handle nazis without impeding free speech.

It's a legal quandary because there is no way to outlaw and punish behaviors that undermine democracy without leaving the door open to the state impeding other forms of speech.

So the solution is swift and effective violence. Escalation is good. Cut out the cancer and don't involve the state. Let the government 'punish' anti nazi violence once the issue is taken care of as we restore peaceful order.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

bengy81 posted:

I'm torn, I really want to get a nice baton to go rear end in a top hat whacking

New thread title please mods

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
I interrupt this debate about Nazi punching to bring sort-of information about the Piss Tape.

Read the Letter Trump’s Attorney Michael Cohen Sent Investigators About the ‘Golden Showers’ Dossier

quote:

President Donald Trump’s attorney Michael Cohen told the House intelligence committee investigating ties between Trump associates and the Kremlin that it should “discern and publicly disclose” the financing and motivations of the salacious dossier claiming, among other things, that Russian sex workers performed a golden shower for the pleasure of the future president.

In an August 14 letter first reported by the New York Times and acquired by The Daily Beast, Cohen seeks to rebut the unproven claims in the dossier alleging his own role in a Trump-Kremlin relationship during the 2016 presidential campaign.

Cohen’s letter is concerned entirely with refuting the dossier’s claims about himself, not its broader allegations about Trump. Despite calling the document “libelous” and says “any repetition of its allegations by the Committee should be rejected,” Cohen’s letter repeats several of its claims.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

bengy81 posted:

I still can't get over the fact that it could be considered bad to be a part of an 'anti fascist" movement in the United States.

So if a group was anti fascist and pro child molestation it would be cool, because hey, they're anti fascist?

It's not a a hard concept at all. The enemy of your enemy is not necessarily your friend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Tremblay posted:

I view those incidents as assault, murder + a dash of attempted murder.

I don't view them as speech.

So when people laud those incidents and dress up as copycats of those suspects, and make threats to do the same things it's just speech?

• Locked thread