Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
a gay lion named Tangiers
Jul 30, 2013
the trailer opens with a black screen and a voiceover by Croaker: "In those days, the Company was in service to the Syndic of Beryl."

then a montage of shots:

One-Eye and Tom-Tom crawling with maggoty lights that are directed towards the forvalaka (the werepanther) that faces them in a small stone room

Soulcatcher, dressed all in black and androgynous, menaces the Company. It speaks in a cacophony of voices that fade into one another

A whole bunch of bloody fighting scenes interspersed with One-Eye and Goblin's illusions

end with a hazy golden face smiling

"I will remember you, physician"

end trailer

tell me that wouldn't get a standing o

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Is this the series where the writer makes special mention of a time they raped a group of all female combatants, because normally they rape so casually that he doesn't even bother writing it down?

Or is that another generic fantasy series.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

bewilderment posted:

Is this the series where the writer makes special mention of a time they raped a group of all female combatants, because normally they rape so casually that he doesn't even bother writing it down?

Or is that another generic fantasy series.

i think you got rape on the brain

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Idk I don't get the reference. And since when do people clap for tv? :downs:

Loutre
Jan 14, 2004

✓COMFY
✓CLASSY
✓HORNY
✓PEPSI

a gay lion named Tangiers posted:

Soulcatcher, dressed all in black and androgynous, menaces the Company. It speaks in a cacophony of voices that fade into one another

pretty sure in an actual movie this would be followed by Soulcatcher taking her mask off and a zoom in on Charlize Theron

Blurry Gray Thing
Jun 3, 2009
*skips to the later part of the series with the giant woman with eight tits.*

Crash_N_Burn
Apr 19, 2014

I loving love this series of books. The best thing about them is how magic is handled and described. The Dominator was a great villain too, and the last fight vs him was epic. Can't wait to see that one and the last fight with the Limper on a tv. Gonna blow Game of Thrones away

Blurry Gray Thing
Jun 3, 2009

Crash_N_Burn posted:

I loving love this series of books. The best thing about them is how magic is handled and described. The Dominator was a great villain too, and the last fight vs him was epic. Can't wait to see that one and the last fight with the Limper on a tv. Gonna blow Game of Thrones away

It's okay, I guess.

The best part is that bit of self-awareness it has. It gets stronger later in the series. I liked how "Lady" plays up the grim and dark vibe on purpose, and all of the spooky poo poo is intentional and exaggerated with illusions for the sake of drama instead of just a natural byproduct of being so evil. The glowing armor is a costume. It's an impractical clownsuit meant to scare people.

The Dominator sucked, though. Just completely generic without any saving grace. It's just Sauron. Sauron's Ex-Wife is at least something new.

various cheeses
Jan 24, 2013

Wait is this really getting made into a tv series or is it just a gbs thread

Crash_N_Burn
Apr 19, 2014

Its gonna star Eliza Dushku

Crash_N_Burn
Apr 19, 2014

Blurry Gray Thing posted:

It's okay, I guess.

The best part is that bit of self-awareness it has. It gets stronger later in the series. I liked how "Lady" plays up the grim and dark vibe on purpose, and all of the spooky poo poo is intentional and exaggerated with illusions for the sake of drama instead of just a natural byproduct of being so evil. The glowing armor is a costume. It's an impractical clownsuit meant to scare people.

The Dominator sucked, though. Just completely generic without any saving grace. It's just Sauron. Sauron's Ex-Wife is at least something new.

The Lady is basically gonna be Cersei with magic until she falls in love with Croaker, but yeah shes a cool character for sure. The Dominator may have seemed a little anti climactic after all they did to talk him up, but I'd say the Taken are a little more unique than ringwraiths because of how much of their individuality remained.

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

various cheeses posted:

Wait is this really getting made into a tv series or is it just a gbs thread

There's a narrow margin between a lovely gbs thread and a hit tv series so probably idk. :shrug:

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Taskmaster 2023 Second Place Winner

Grimey Drawer
I love this series as well. Apparently it inspired Steven Eriksen to write his Malazan series. Another amazing and sprawling series as well abd probably my favourite.

Smashurbanipal
Sep 12, 2009
ASK ME ABOUT BEING A SHITTY POSTER
Unfortunately it would come out like the "Bastard Executioner" and immediately dropped.

Soulcatcher would be overly sexualized, Tom Hardy cast as Croaker, and they'd cut Silent cause can't have a character who doesn't talk on tv.

Smashurbanipal fucked around with this message at 12:27 on Aug 2, 2017

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Taskmaster 2023 Second Place Winner

Grimey Drawer
Who would you cast as Croaker? From what I remember he's supposed to be a decently put together fellow that can fight his way out of a scrap. Tom Hardy's a bit too action heroey handsome but I wouldnt cast some nerdlinger either.

Blurry Gray Thing
Jun 3, 2009

Crash_N_Burn posted:

The Lady is basically gonna be Cersei with magic until she falls in love with Croaker, but yeah shes a cool character for sure. The Dominator may have seemed a little anti climactic after all they did to talk him up, but I'd say the Taken are a little more unique than ringwraiths because of how much of their individuality remained.

Well, yeah, they're people who just happen to be ancient evil wizards enslaved by a more powerful evil, instead of just faceless spooks. It's another strength of the series.

I'm just saying the Dominator himself doesn't have that at all. Even his wife just talks about him as a generic super-evil with no redeeming or humanizing qualities. The big fight at the end is neat, but that's because all the plot threads all come together (the Limper, that Wizard they dug up, Lady and Croaker, White Rose, Silent's big dramatic moment). The evil dude with the really strong superpowers who crawls out of the earth and gets smacked around is just the least interesting part, even if he's the reason they all came together just then.

Hell Yeah
Dec 25, 2012

reported for racism sorry op

Blurry Gray Thing
Jun 3, 2009

Smashurbanipal posted:

Unfortunately it would come out like the "Bastard Executioner" and immediately dropped.

Soulcatcher would be overly sexualized, Tom Hardy cast as Croaker, and they'd cut Silent cause can't have a character who doesn't talk on tv.

They really can't start sexualizing Soulcatcher until they get to book five. Dressing like Darth Vader is the whole point.

But once they do they sort of have to to be true to the Source Material:

Jul 30, 2013

Well, yeah, they're people who just happen to be ancient evil wizards enslaved by a more powerful evil, instead of just faceless spooks. It's another strength of the series.

I'm just saying the Dominator himself doesn't have that at all. Even his wife just talks about him as a generic super-evil with no redeeming or humanizing qualities. The big fight at the end is neat, but that's because all the plot threads all come together (the Limper, that Wizard they dug up, Lady and Croaker, White Rose, Silent's big dramatic moment). The evil dude with the really strong superpowers who crawls out of the earth and gets smacked around is just the least interesting part, even if he's the reason they all came together just then.

i dunno i think one of the themes of the books is that "the big evil" is really just another dude that can get smacked around pretty easily, especially if the group doing the smacking around is the company. the dominator didn't even know his own wife's name, so the fact that he's incredibly powerful (which is well represented by the fact that when he escapes the null for even a second he causes huge destruction) doesn't matter when faced with people who have the jump on him and know his weaknesses

i mean even shivetya the immortal all seeing eye is explicitly described as being someone who got abandoned by his fellow gods because they couldn't be hosed to do their jobs

Lawrence Gilchrist
Mar 31, 2010

I would recommend inserting AAVE into Company very carefully. Who is the black Patti LuPone?

Jul 30, 2013

Lawrence Gilchrist posted:

I would recommend inserting AAVE into Company very carefully. Who is the black Patti LuPone?

what

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dcdWlPz5ixk

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

They really can't start sexualizing Soulcatcher until they get to book five. Dressing like Darth Vader is the whole point.

But once they do they sort of have to to be true to the Source Material:

make it a animated series drawn like this cover imo

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
it's been years since i read the black company. i don't think i ever read all the books, i think i just read the first three of them or something. should borrow them again from my friend, i remember really enjoying them.

Lawrence Gilchrist
Mar 31, 2010

"Here's to the ladies who lunch" should be its own episode

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
are they still talking about making a wheel of time tv series

i'm surprised Syfy hasn't snapped that poo poo up. it'd be perfect for their crappy low-budget sensibilities. they could spend whole seasons not advancing the plot at all. or maybe they feel it'd be too much like the dune miniseries they crapped out, seeing as how the first book just rips off Dune with the ending being all "congratulations, you're the Kwisatz Haderach"

i remember telling a friend how i'd barely managed to slog through the first book, and being shocked when he told me it was widely regarded the fastest-paced book in the series. un-loving-believable. you'll never get me to read another of those books. i'd sooner devour a plate of right-wing jerkoff material from Baen Books.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

ClamdestineBoyster posted:

Idk I don't get the reference. And since when do people clap for tv?

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
"yes, congratulations lady high countess space captain honor harrington, you sure have made yourself loving loaded rich off of this war in which our noble great space britain empire is desperately fighting for its life against the evil commie space french! fortunately i have devised a cunning plan which will allow you to reinvest those funds in a manner which not only trebles the size of your great heaving funds, but also ensures that as little of it as possible gets taxed. no war bonds will be purchased as part of this plan"

*the discerning Baen reader smugly smiles and nods, satisfied in the knowledge that none of that glorious prize money will be squandered on any god damned space welfare programs*

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost
I once read the first book of The Black Company series but I'll be goddamned if I can remember a single word of it. I read it because my girlfriend at the time loved it and wanted to talk about it with me.

If I were to review it I guess I'd have to call it "unmemorable".

Blurry Gray Thing
Jun 3, 2009

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

it's been years since i read the black company. i don't think i ever read all the books, i think i just read the first three of them or something. should borrow them again from my friend, i remember really enjoying them.

Yeah, I did that too. Went back to it just recently. Honestly, four and five are better than the original three.

Six really isn't doing it for me so far, but I'm not finished with it yet.

Yeah, I'm reading the series right now. This thread is a weird coincidence. There are so many other nerd books I could have been reading instead, and nobody started threads about those.

Junkfist
Oct 7, 2004

FRIEND?
I was very confused by the op I expected some vaguely racist BET office politics comedy before I remembered this was a nerd thing.

Blurry Gray Thing
Jun 3, 2009
Let's get highbrow and talk about The White Company by Arthur Conan Doyle instead.

What would you do if a very tiny but badass Knight slapped you in the snout and called you Saucy?

Bad Titty Puker
Nov 3, 2007
Soiled Meat
when I see the word "miniseries" to me it doesn't look like mini-series, it looks like it rhymes with "miseries". mih-nih-zeriees

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

What ruined this for me was when they introduced idiot girl who was adopted by the company and at the same time a prophecy of woman-warrior who will defeat evil guys. I thought "Right, I bet she will turn out to be the wondergirl from the prophecy in like 5 books and we totally didn't know :downs: " And of course that is exactly what happened.

• Locked thread