Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
also every customer should get the same build with no external dependencies

good luck, the company's future is in your hands

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

also we need to whitelabel it so our corporate partners can do their own builds

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
maybe you can use Machine Learning to determine the settings. that would really look good in our sales materials

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
didn't know my boss posted in yospos

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
every enterprise software project eventually becomes a bad DSL

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
"can you give us a black box with enough configuration options to make it do whatever we want to do?" - The Management

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

2007: can't we just do that in sharepoint? we already have the licenses
2017: can't we just do that in salesforce? we already have the licenses

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
this is the database I've been developing *opens multi-gig excel file*

pram
Jun 10, 2001
at my last job, for no reason, a department made their own FUNCTIONAL version of puppet in scala. their job was 'performance testing' btw not developing ego project configuration management

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe

pram posted:

at my last job, for no reason, a department made their own FUNCTIONAL version of puppet in scala. their job was 'performance testing' btw not developing ego project configuration management

:stonklol:

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

Gazpacho posted:

also every customer should get the same build with no external dependencies

good luck, the company's future is in your hands

what is "a network interface device driver"

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

pram posted:

we've got like 2 of our own build tools and our build process looks like a fractal ouroboros and we've rolled our own libc and idk why but idk these things just kinda happen if you have too many software developers and not enough (good) management

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

Bloody posted:

what is "a network interface device driver"
turn on your monitor?

my homie dhall
Dec 9, 2010

honey, oh please, it's just a machine
i've been reading a lot about microservices, can we put them in our product?

Gone Fission
Apr 7, 2007

We're here to make coffee metal. We're here to make everything metal.

Ploft-shell crab posted:

i've been reading a lot about microservices, can we put them in our product?

done

would you like some cloud synergy with that

maybe an internet of thing on the information superhighway with augmented reality?

my homie dhall
Dec 9, 2010

honey, oh please, it's just a machine
*extremely having never written a line in code in their life voice*: so I had some thoughts on changes we could make to our architecture

Gone Fission
Apr 7, 2007

it just has to work. I feel like maybe people aren't grasping that concept

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

Ploft-shell crab posted:

*extremely having never written a line in code in their life voice*: so I had some thoughts on changes we could make to our architecture

:sigh: how i know that voice all too well

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

what is my dick, op

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

*extremely been hiding massive technical debt for like a decade to conceal their own incompetence voice* uh, we'll have to look into that

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

Gone Fission posted:

it just has to work. I feel like maybe people aren't grasping that concept

this statement is everything that's wrong with modern business

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Cat Face Joe posted:

this statement is everything that's wrong with modern business

there is a level below minimum viable product :ssj:

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Are we a hadoop - all of the clusters will Hadoop.

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
hadoop is a nightmare and i wouldn't even want to think about running a cluster in the supportless environments that are most enterprises

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

lancemantis posted:

hadoop is a nightmare and i wouldn't even want to think about running a cluster in the supportless environments that are most enterprises

how can we be big data if we don't though?

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
yeah i forgot that multi-gig spreadsheet "database" is also big data

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

our customers would rather send us excel files than use the webapp interface for enterting data, can we reimplement excel in the webapp for them?

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

excel is great for sending data around, gently caress anything that can't eat an xlsx file

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
just like all enterprise applications tend to evolve into bad DSLs, all enterprise data entry systems tend to evolve to being bad versions of excel

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

the talent deficit posted:

our customers would rather send us excel files than use the webapp interface for enterting data, can we reimplement excel in the webapp for them?

last job I was at they talked to microsoft about this but there was no way to not mix their sign on and office 365 accounts so it's CSV upload for everyone instead

Gone Fission
Apr 7, 2007

qirex posted:

*extremely been hiding massive technical debt for like a decade to conceal their own incompetence voice* uh, we'll have to look into that

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

lancemantis posted:

Oh p.s, that was a verbatim sentence that I copy and pasted out of my email.

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
i mean i use excel and other desktop apps for all kinds of poo poo but lol there's a limit to that poo poo

its a limit long passed and forgotten by the marketing drones

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

i dont care how good it is, were not buying it unless it has a neural net

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe

Salt Fish posted:

Oh p.s, that was a verbatim sentence that I copy and pasted out of my email.

they'll build them out of low-resource vms located all over the datacenter and disks mounted from the san

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

lancemantis posted:

they'll build them out of low-resource vms located all over the datacenter and disks mounted from the san

What do you mean "them" have you seen our budget?? Do it with 1 server and if you need a 2nd one use your desktop.

pram
Jun 10, 2001

Ploft-shell crab posted:

qirex posted:

lol

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

sure our database is a copy of foxpro running in dosbox but it works

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
we still have filemaker floating around here

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

Salt Fish posted:

What do you mean "them" have you seen our budget?? Do it with 1 server and if you need a 2nd one use your desktop.

• Locked thread