Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Gone Fission posted:

it just has to work. I feel like maybe people aren't grasping that concept

qirex posted:

there is a level below minimum viable product :ssj:

Welcome to pre-modern business model, it doesn't have to work or be viable, it just has to fill in some checkboxes for the most part.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

streetlamp
May 7, 2007

Danny likes his party hat
He does not like his banana hat
i basically left my last job because the entire department depended on filemaker / god awful internal tools built with it. the dev responsible for it was leaving so it was assumed i would just take over that loving mess too

pram
Jun 10, 2001
dudes who have been at a company for a billion years who lord over their bespoke solutions (cobbled together from shell and perl and delphi) own. the management will always defer to them because no one else wants to touch their trash

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

pram posted:

dudes who have been at a company for a billion years who lord over their bespoke solutions (cobbled together from shell and perl and delphi) own. the management will always defer to them because no one else wants to touch their trash

yeah this is how i maintain job security too

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
a previous company of mine had a pretty sizable cohort of aging dudes that had built their careers on that

coast to a fat pensioned boomer retirement, working on stuff that requires marginal maintenance that only you can perform, keeping a decent salary because nobody wants you to leave

i mean the worst thing that could happen to them is being fired too early since they don't really have any transferable skills anymore

like there were a couple guys who were full time "domino developers" that basically did some trivial stuff during the day and I swear showed up for only half a day at most

my homie dhall
Dec 9, 2010

honey, oh please, it's just a machine
i love calling in sick every monday morning

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

lancemantis posted:

a previous company of mine had a pretty sizable cohort of aging dudes that had built their careers on that

coast to a fat pensioned boomer retirement, working on stuff that requires marginal maintenance that only you can perform, keeping a decent salary because nobody wants you to leave

i mean the worst thing that could happen to them is being fired too early since they don't really have any transferable skills anymore

like there were a couple guys who were full time "domino developers" that basically did some trivial stuff during the day and I swear showed up for only half a day at most

you can still do this, as long as you're willing to be a dba at a giant company

[not that pensions exist anymore but still]

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
my org has a pension plan :smugmrgw:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

my homie dhall
Dec 9, 2010

honey, oh please, it's just a machine
yeah, we can definitely put [feature that won't work for another two weeks] in the release, it's not like anyone will try and use it

*12 hours after release*

ah gently caress! they tried to use it!

• Locked thread