Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
https://twitter.com/hallstephenj/status/893093302635036673

RIP the headphone jack. post your favorite headphone jack memories in this thread. here's mine:

i remember when i was 13, i had a Creative JukeBox mp3 player. it had a headphone jack.

nostaglia...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Android has always been a "me too" sort of affair so not surprised they are copying the worst decision apple ever made.

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

yesterday i was listening to some tunes... with the headphone jack

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE
op there are many companies manufacturing android devices, most of which will continue to have headphone jacks

hth

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
pretty soon the only androids w/ an audio jack of any sort will have a line out you have to connect to a headphone preamp and will cost audiophile $$$ because every me too anroid will want to make those sweet dongle bux

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Instant Grat posted:

op there are many companies manufacturing android devices, most of which will continue to have headphone jacks

hth

android, and the people who choose android, suck.

hth

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

Instant Grat posted:

hth

as chrome goes, so goes the world

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
lol, so now you'll have to buy android compatible or iphone compatible headphones, because of course they don't use the same port.

or use bluetooth like some idiot chud with a charging fetish

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

i remember my w810i did not have a headphone jack

what it did have was a headphone jack dongle, which was bad because it cost $30 and the pins were made out of kitten fluff and hope

that's my memory of a great product from the walkman mobile listening music device company

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

apple's $9 dongle has a decent dac, can't wait to see the quality adapters this decision is going to produce

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

infernal machines posted:

lol, so now you'll have to buy android compatible or iphone compatible headphones, because of course they don't use the same port.

imagine all the headphones coming out worth a t-jack that has lightning on one side & microusb on the other

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
not really related but it would be cool if there was a QLab knockoff for cell phones so all the retard poverty tier rentals that come in could build their idiot garbage at home and not have to use my good gear. could just feed them a 1/8" and call it a day. that would be cool

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

flakeloaf posted:

i remember my w810i did not have a headphone jack

what it did have was a headphone jack dongle, which was bad because it cost $30 and the pins were made out of kitten fluff and hope

that's my memory of a great product from the walkman mobile listening music device company

i had one of those too, and i remember the lovely headphone dongle

used the same connector as the charger, so you had to pick between listening to bangin tunes and charging your phone

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Research confirms that black is a color like silver is a color, and that beyond black is clarity.

infernal machines posted:

I used to be on the same page with you here, but then I actually bought a cheapass pair of chinese BT earbuds that last like 10 hours on a charge and I couldn't give a gently caress less about the 3.5mm port.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

and the tumour's barely noticeable

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Research confirms that black is a color like silver is a color, and that beyond black is clarity.

flakeloaf posted:

and the tumour's barely noticeable

*takes a pull from a pall mall unfiltered*

what, ya wanna live forever or sumfin?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
c'mon you apes! you afraid to die? ~*inserts earpiece*~

Colonel Taint
Mar 14, 2004

Totally ok with this and apple's removal of the headphone jack as long as we can refer to this period in tech history as 'the big jack off' or some such

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

jacking in is one of my favorite activities

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

akadajet posted:

Android has always been a "me too" sort of affair so not surprised they are copying the worst decision apple ever made.

Bloody posted:

jacking in is one of my favorite activities

HoboMan
Nov 4, 2010

im upset

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER
In this brave new world how do I plug phone into car speakers and charge it at same time

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
very carefully :xd:

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

ShadowHawk posted:

In this brave new world how do I plug phone into car speakers and charge it at same time

Usability is an edge case

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

ShadowHawk posted:

sorry the design team all have android auto. that isnt a use case so worksforme wontfix

flakeloaf posted:

Usability is an edge case

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

ShadowHawk posted:

my car (2014 chevy spark, so nothing special) has a USB port that is iPod/iPhone compatible

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

they should go the opposite and switch to 1/4" jacks, v satisfying jackfeel on those

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

carry on then posted:

v satisfying jackfeel

text me

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
courage

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

I see a lot of people w/ Bluetooth on-ear headphones (beats I guess) lately

WilWheaton
Oct 11, 2006

It'd be hard to get bored on this ship!
Who's going to make the USB C to Tape Deck adapter?

Bored Online
May 25, 2009

We don't need Rome telling us what to do.

Silver Alicorn posted:

I see a lot of people w/ Bluetooth on-ear headphones (beats I guess) lately

success

French Canadian
Feb 23, 2004

Fluffy cat sensory experience

Silver Alicorn posted:

pretty soon the only androids w/ an audio jack of any sort will have a line out you have to connect to a headphone preamp and will cost audiophile $$$ because every me too anroid will want to make those sweet dongle bux

mods change name to "dongle bux" TIA

suffix
Jul 27, 2013

Wheeee!
the 3210 already did not have a heapdhone jack either
we've come full circle

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

I had a motorola krzr which only had a mini-usb port, but you could buy an expensive set of headphones.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

French Canadian posted:

mods change name to "dongle bux" TIA

dongledongs in vietnam

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
Idgi what's the advantage of having no headphone jack

Other than selling dongles and being annoying

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

My Linux Rig posted:

Idgi what's the advantage of having no headphone jack

Other than selling dongles and being annoying

apple feature parity a year late and a dollar short(er on build costs)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

three elevenths of a billimetre thinner

• Locked thread