Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

DogonCrook posted:

Yeah that reminds me i have always wanted a widebody starion

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mitsubishi_Starion

E:holy poo poo not only are these rare now they are going for 15k

They
Aren't
Hard
To
Find.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

Dannywilson posted:

Between a buddy of mine and myself, we've managed to buy three in the last nine months for roughly $3500 total for the three of them. Granted, one is a solid runner, one is being turned into a 1UZ drift/racecar, and the third is being use primarily as a running donor for the other two, but yeah, Starquests are fuckin cool, and I wish more people would appreciate them.

That's the SHP equipped runner out in the first Appalachian snow, right near the Blue Ridge Parkway back in January, right after a 700 mile roadtrip to Myrtle Beach and back. Yeah, she's got a bent bumper and trashed seats, but she looks pretty good, no?

Some day I'll probably get my hands on a '88 or '89 and stick at 4G63T in to it. But probably not until after I get the Talon running, get the totaled one parted out and the chassis hauled off, and probably at least get a different 4-door and say goodbye to the Saturn.

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

How "substantially similar" does a vehicle need to be in order to avoid the 25 year moratorium on import or having to wreck three of them? I mean, I'm pretty sure a Legnum is out since I don't think US ever got a Galant wagon, but what about an Evo Sportback? US market basically just got one that's one trim line down, and the important bits for DOT have US equivalents.

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

KakerMix posted:

I see you your 72 Toyota Publica and raise you 73 Mitsubishi Lancer

I want to take this to Lancer meetups and see all the Evo assholes get all confused.

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

KakerMix posted:

Whatup guys check this out (pic is also a link)

Real-deal GTR, T so it isn't inspected like normal HOWEVER you can have the JCD people send one over.

Here is the sheet translation

It's going to probably go for serious $$$$$$$ but what the hell maybe one of you guys has the pockets to have a real Nissan GTR. Hope this isn't too shilly but I told Yoshi I'd post his email for this just in case.

yoshi@japancardirect.com

There's a surprising number of R32's running around my home state here.

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

KakerMix posted:

Yeah for a lot of people 'Skyline' is all you need, so you can drive around a grandma-spec one and be cool. To have a real GTR though like in my mangas and animes :swoon:

Most if not all of the ones around here are GTR's, a good portion of which were sourced by Motorex.

I saw one in person once, one of the chauffeurs for one of the specialty rental places (they'll drive you around in old Rolls' and such) had one and it was sitting in the garage.

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

I kinda want a Soarer, but I'd probably just build it from a SC.

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

KakerMix posted:

I actually have one of the mystical SC300s with a manual transmission, probably going to sell it soon since now that my wife has her Tracker sorted and it's done biting me there is little reason to have it sitting around.

Currently looking for the next purchases, just got the importation paperwork sorted for the incoming Acty and Rugger and boy I need to go shopping again.

Is that the same transmission the twin-turbo uses?

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

The roof in my 1G Talon was removable, and had a diffuser that would go in its place. You'd get considerably more airflow in to the cabin when it was removed.

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

Shut the gently caress up about "infringing on MAH ROADZ" you loving grognards.

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

Some folks calls it a sling cab but I calls it a kaiser cab,... Mmmmhm,......

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

BigPaddy posted:

The one on BaT isn't too bad if you want something weird and I agree taking a bath on a $5k purchase isn't going to be as ruining as losing out on $13k and flipping cars is always going to be super risky. My personally held belief is that the current inflation in 90s Japanese cars isn't sustainable since even once the US demand has been met there will still be a lot of them and someone is going to be left holding the bag on all those GTRs, Evos, Celicas etc...

However that said I think the following are going to hold their value forever:

R34 GTR (duh they have hardly ever moved from their original retail price in some cases)
Mk4 Supra (even the lovely auto ones are making good money and there is no shortage of 1JZ/2JZ power trains to swap in + oh hey the car from The Fast and the Furious!)
Evo 1 to Evo 6 (the hardcore ones before Mitsi realised they could make some money selling slightly softer ones in larger numbers)
2001 Impreza WRX 2 door (rare and have been sought after for years already)
Honda Integra DC2 (serious drivers love these things and I do to, double wishbone suspension all round and VTEC in a light car unf)

There will be more but they will be quirky things like the March Super Turbo.

Future Winners aka stuff that will be open to import to the US in the 10 years:

Nissan Stagea RS Four (Wagon built on Skyline platform with 4WD and an RB25DET :getin:)
Honda Integra DC5 (not as good as a DC2 but feels more modern on the inside and still handles great)
Nissan S15 Silvia (more modern 200SX and easy to make stupid fast however already holding its value well)

These are the main ones that come to mind but really after the Late 90s pretty much all the cool stuff went away.

Could possibly add the Legnum VR4 to the list. (I really want one)

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

How much are Legnum VR4's going for?

Asking for a friend.

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

InitialDave posted:

I have no idea who Mitch McConnell is,

He's the shithead turtle-looking motherfucker that's the Majority Leader of the US Senate.

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

everdave posted:

For some reason I see those cup holders in TONS of jap cars for sale at auction. Usually two right next to each other in the same car.

Can we not do the racial slurs, please?

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

Don Lapre posted:

Its not even a nice spec though. Carbed sohc with usdm style front end.

JAAAAAAY
DEEEEEEE
EMMMMM

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

Time to start talking about the "little old lady from Kawaguchi".

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

I had the tape version of that deck.

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

KakerMix posted:

lol this loving thing, I love it so much.

Perfect size to replace with a Transformers badge.

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

InitialDave posted:

That generation, yes, though it's listed as 1800cc and I had it in my head they were a 2.0. Might be misremembering.

Bit late to the party, but the 4G63 didn't start showing up until like '88. Earlier models would've had the 4G62 1.8 like the Starion/Conquest had.

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

On another note, I'm starting to have dangerous thoughts about trying to flip my way to a Legnum VR4 over the next year or so.

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

Charles posted:

I wish we had a goon doing this In Seattle

If I had the seed money I'd probably give it a try, I want to flip my way in to a Legnum when they become legal.

Of course, in Washington you're limited to 4 vehicles a year until you need to be a dealer and I'm not sure how onerous that process is here.

Alternatively just work with Everdave, it's not like he's that far away from us.

BlackMK4 posted:

I've gotten the idea that you can pretty much register whatever you can get your hands on over there, as long as you've got the money to back it up.

lol, funny you say that, I saw this in the UDX garage when I was there earlier this year

I love how it looks like it's happily leaking oil all over that nice floor.

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

Fermented Tinal posted:

It's a Suburban GMC American Car, think great dane puppy that isn't house broken yet.

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

French Canadian posted:

Mother of God the driver transporting my camper had his loving truck break down in Ohio. Fuuuuck thiiiiis.

"Break down"

He's gonna sell your camper and do a runner, bro.

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

Somewhat Heroic posted:

That ST205 is tits! It is definitely unappreciated and is the car that Brian O’Connor should have been driving all along.

I mean, if he'd been driving the actual turbo Eclipse instead of that weak-rear end 420a,...

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

Rhyno posted:

Lies, show us the official Toyota potatoes.

Toyota, potato, Toyota, potato, let's call the whole thing off.

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

Think I may have just seen an import goon in the wild today, rocking a red kei fire truck in a Taco Time parking lot.

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

Failson posted:

Pretty sure I've seen that exact truck too.

Man, how many goons do we got in the Greater Seattle area?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

movax posted:

SNR is low though.

I've got a Sambar and Midget II in the area. And a GT-Four. And a Soarer. And... a MR2.

I went a little crazy earlier in the year. It's a lot of a cars to work through / on... dailying the GT-Four for now though!

Some day,.... there will be a Legnum vr4 in the area.