Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009
That truck loving rocks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009
This is my favorite thread of recent memory.

Keep it up guys!

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009
If you get an international drivers license from AAA before you go, you can dress up as Mariokart characters and ride go karts around the city.

It is fun as gently caress.

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009

Snowy posted:

I'm old and all, so I like looking at the 70's-early 80's stuff. Came across this Corolla which was our family car when I was a kid, same color scheme and all but when we had it I NEVER thought we had a cool car. We also had a white 77 or 78 Celica, slightly cooler back then. I'd love to have a sexy version of one of those cars some day.

https://auc.japancardirect.com/aj-3h5LhlkUxQinpy4.htm

Man didn't a goon convert one of these to a GM 3.6L V6 and boost it? That was a fun thread. I seem to remember a Dora the Explorer window shade on the rear passenger window? And I think the hood flew off and smashed the windshield on one of his first on-street test rides.

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009
Some states (like mine) allow you to apply for a transit permit. In my state as long as you have the VIN and attest that it's insured, I want to say it's $15 for a permit that you have up to 2 weeks to activate and once you use it, it's good for up to 3 days. Any licensed driver can apply for this and it's all online, you just print it out yourself. Super handy for buying used vehicles

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009
Website looks awesome, this has been one of my favorite threads to follow over the past year. If I wasn't preparing to move out of the country I would have totally bought something by now.

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009
Hahahaha you won that bad motherfucker? Congrats.

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009

KakerMix posted:

No no no, I didn't even bid on it. It just sold for much less than I expected is all.

Aw man you got my hopes up.

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009
That little guy is delightful!

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009
That troop transport type setup in that fire truck is pretty cool. Is it set up to be an ambulance you think?

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009

everdave posted:

I don’t think so, probably just transport for firefighters. I’ve seen them with sliders in the middle And this isn’t Seth up like that, I assume just a troop carrier.

That's awesome. Good find, I'm interested in seeing more photos eventually!

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009

snugglz posted:

this is a nice photo. I like this photo.

Yup

That's how you sell cars, drat. That photo makes me want to own that car.

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009

French Canadian posted:

I used https://www.photomosh.com which came up when I typed in vaporwave filter :confused:

:stwoon:

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009

KakerMix posted:

Took the top fully off today. Tomorrow we see the final form.

Man I like that a lot.

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009
I'd just like to say I've followed this thread from the beginning and love it. Keep on trucking y'all.

Motronic posted:

A beat up old plastic water tank that is missing the lid and probably has weird (for the US) connections? Sure. Let's say $100.

Lol

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009
I like that Hilux a lot. And the kei pickups.

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009
That Pajero and that Avenir are both really nice.

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009

KakerMix posted:

88 Hilux double cab pickup finally in our possession and it's the ultimate dad killer. The green Hilux we had is the same deal, older millennials just love this thing, me included.

Hi, yes, you just described me! Love those trucks. :)

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009

Chris Knight posted:

:stare: Dat Surf. Almost makes me wish I needed a car, and could shift left handed lol.

You can learn, it's not hard.

For me the hardest thing about switching back and forth from left to right hand drive is I end up hitting the windshield wipers instead of the turn signal stalk.

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009

savesthedayrocks posted:

Turn signals is the window arm.

I haven't driven RHD for a couple years but that will make it easier to keep straight next time. Don't know why I never thought of it that way.

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009

harperdc posted:

Japanese Linguistics minute: the Japanese term for orgasm is “to go,” iku/ikimasu いく and the phrase on the cover is conjugated to say “make [someone] go” ikaseru いかせる written as イカせる for emphasis.

(There’s also an old joke about American/Japanese couples not knowing if they’re coming or going that makes sense in this context)

It also just so happens ika イカ is Japanese for squid :v: so the translator grabbed that.

Rice fields get soaked and flooded, so thats why it’s a level below Super Soaker :v:

:allears:

Amazing

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009

Midjack posted:

I'll miss seeing the sweet JDM cars but I hope it goes well for you in Europe!

Same!

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009
Bro. I have a red 2019 VW Golf Alltrack wagon and your new car is absolutely what mine wants to be. That rules. And it's purely selfish to say but I'm glad you aren't closing the business, Ive really enjoyed watching the cars you've brought in and sold and I'm looking forward to seeing more.

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009
So, is a "R" condition rating the equivalent of a rebuilt/salvage title in the US? Is it conceivably worth paying for an inspection or is it much more likely to be a headache? A car has caught my eye but it's an R and has been listed but not sold several times now, I assume that's a fairly large red flag.

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009

Somewhat Heroic posted:

The answer is ‘MAYBE’!

From the op:

Sometimes they can be worth it. An R can occur anywhere from an aftermarket bumper or spoiler or roof rack added to body panels being replaced to entire resprays. Learning to read the auction sheets gets a little easier with practice. If you see ‘xx’ on a hood or fender or door then that means that body panel has been replaced. If you see ‘c1’ that means corrosion; think like surface rust or even slight bubbling. If you see ‘c2’ that means there is a hole/significant body rot.

Inspections are worth it. I’ve had a total of probably 10 inspections done and at least four of those were ones that looked okay on paper and great in photos but were ‘run, and quickly’ after the inspection. Kaker has had a few R grades I think.

Thanks, that is helpful, I must have skimmed over that part of the OP when I re-read it. Based on that I might keep looking.

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009
Congratulations! While life circumstances haven't let me go through the auction purchase process myself I've been following the thread for years and vicariously enjoying all the updates (from you and the other posters). Thanks for sharing the journey with us.

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009
Hell yeah.

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009
Maybe I am biased as a station wagon lover. But. That loving rules.

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009
Want that Hilux. Great find.

I'm moving to a RHD country in Africa for work for a few years. I was hoping to take advantage of that by importing a Japanese SUV in the 2000-2001 range so that it would be at the "legal to bring back to the States with me" point by the end of my assignment, but it looks like the local government will not let me import anything more than 10 years old. Boo.

I still may buy a car from Japan but if I can't take it with me, I have to deal with significant duty recapture on resale etc. Might not be worth it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009
Well I'm still negotiating with the seller but looks like I'm going to end up with a 3rd gen JDM RAV4. FWD, which isn't my preference but will be fine for the intended use. I'll probably try to get something a bit more capable as a second car after I arrive in Africa.

Any recommendations for a head unit I can swap in to use Android Auto/Carplay? Or can I just use whatever would also fit in a US car of the era?