Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

savesthedayrocks
Mar 18, 2004
Super cool stuff. Good luck with your venture! You've said you don't take your kei van on the freeways, do you have another car or is this your daily and just change your route?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

savesthedayrocks
Mar 18, 2004
Keep that shift knob when you deliver to the fire dept to watch their faces.

savesthedayrocks
Mar 18, 2004
Have you noticed Japanese Classics has been stepping on your turf, Kaker? I’ve seen a ton of vans lately, all which seem extremely awesome.

I’d never heard of a Subaru Sambar. Supercharged? I’m sure that would kill in the Pacific Northwest. Their price seems in line with their other van offerings, but obviously it depends on how cheap they got it.

https://instagram.com/p/BfeccyoH2q2/

savesthedayrocks
Mar 18, 2004

ishikabibble posted:

They actually sold the Subaru Sambar new in the US! :eng101:

...In the 60s.

There was a goon who was working on one as a project iirc? That thread's long since probably fallen into the archives though

Argh, I don’t need this but I am wanting one bad.

savesthedayrocks
Mar 18, 2004

Ferremit posted:

Toyota vs Nissan is a big argument here in Aus, and you will NOT find people who stand with a leg in each camp.

Essentially the line is if you want a power train that lasts forever but the body rots off, but a Nissan. If you want a body that lasts forever but the drivetrain eventually shatters, buy the Toyota.

If you guys are paying $17K for 1HZ landcruisers... I should start buying diesel landcruisers and flogging them into the US. You can buy HZJ75 Troopys for gently caress all here. Let alone selling turbo diesels...

If you have the supply for good condition troopys you could make a killing on ih8mud.

savesthedayrocks
Mar 18, 2004
My vote is for a Toyota Land Cruiser Troop carrier. Parts are easy to source, vehicle is easy to work on, and that variant is desirable over here.

savesthedayrocks
Mar 18, 2004

KakerMix posted:

Flawless Town Ace van with Skylite roof

Low mileage Subaru Sambar van

These are extremely my poo poo. Do you know if Toyota makes a 4wd variant of the Town Ace? Any tips on reading those sheets to see if they are 4wd?

savesthedayrocks
Mar 18, 2004

KakerMix posted:

Yeah I saw the final price this morning (659000 yen, just under 6k USD) but I'm not surprised. Grade 4, interior B, hella low miles and all the options people like (Skylite roof, diesel, 4x4) AND it's a Town Ace rather than the lower-trim LiteAces. I would not be surprised at all if this specific van shows up at Vanlife Northwest here in a month or so. With a 20K USD sticker :v:

https://boise.craigslist.org/cto/d/1990-toyota-master-ace-surf/6617435841.html

There’s already a similar one up for 15k if someone wants it. So nice, I’m really getting tempted.

savesthedayrocks
Mar 18, 2004
Odd question, but do any of the Subaru/Toyota/Honda trucks have a bench seat up front for three people? I need a winter vehicle with 4 wheel drive but need to carry 3 people. I like the functionality of the truck, but guess I could do a van if I had to.

savesthedayrocks
Mar 18, 2004

KakerMix posted:

Having the grill, everything in picture 6 (mirrors and handles etc) and the center caps and rings air-shipped to me like I had the wheel covers and seat covers on the Domingo, I an unwilling to take any chances with that grill, I'm fukkin' STOKED it's included. The other bits are a real nice bonus.

Good call! The turn signals are about $75 on eBay, and mirrors going out mean at least $100 as well.

savesthedayrocks
Mar 18, 2004

KakerMix posted:

https://www.megazip.net/ is currently having a 20% off Black Friday sale, which is pretty....unique, considering that they aren't in the USA and so shouldn't care about US Thanksgiving but oh well!

I just dropped close to $2,000 bucks on various parts from brakes to trim on a couple of my vehicles. I need the parts anyway, might as well spend as little money as possible. Also found out that KZ Prados share front brake calipers with 4Runners :toot:

Coupon code is BF2019 in case you don't spot it in the header :v:

EDIT

The 20% off is also off shipping!

Anyone have feedback on megazip? Only negative reviews on IH8Mud, but seemed like it was just about parts showing up that they didn’t really have.

savesthedayrocks
Mar 18, 2004

Darchangel posted:

I bought a bunch of small parts for my AE86 from them. Other than the aforementioned issue of parts being listed in stock by their sources that are not actually in stock - which, when it happened, they advised me of, and apologized, stating that those parts would subsequently be marked NLA, which they were - I had a very pleasant experience.

Thanks everyone for the feedback. Last question - Do they adjust tour shipping cost based on what they can actually ship? One of the items is huge so costs a bit, don’t want to pay the extra price if it’s not actually going to be shipped.

savesthedayrocks
Mar 18, 2004
Following up for other interested goons about my MegaZip order.

A++ would buy again.

I was waiting to by a radiator fan shroud because shipping was killer everywhere. Ordered that and a few other items I knew would be in stock and everything arrived from the Middle East in perfect condition.

Thanks all for the feedback and saving me poor!

savesthedayrocks
Mar 18, 2004
Just sent my deposit for my first import! I looked back at my email and realized I signed up for an account in 2017, so sent an email to Yoshi to get started.

Not looking for anything too exotic, a Subaru Sambar truck. Thing I'm most concerned about is rust, I don't want to jump on one too soon and get one with rust since I don't have experience with fixing it. Any other advice for looking at auction sheets or work trucks I'm all ears.

Since I've never worked with GWL, do I call and set up an "account" before hand, or is there enough time to call after I've found a vehicle and won the auction?

savesthedayrocks fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Jan 9, 2021

savesthedayrocks
Mar 18, 2004
Now that it’s January of 2021, how close do you cut looking at 1996 vehicles? Do you include 96 in your search term?

savesthedayrocks
Mar 18, 2004
After a few years I finally bid on a Kei truck!

https://auc.japancardirect.com/st-4VLvGqBmOacoXk.htm

Auction house sheet:

quote:

5mt, small chips in windshield, interior worn dirty scratches and tears, cargo area dents scratches surface rust, mirrors scratched, undercarriage surface rust, other dents scratches paint faded

Inspection:

quote:

324- engine starts idles and revs fine, very slight valve train noise, no oil leaks, tires at 70% no cracks, spare ok, cargo area slight surface rust only, undercarriage slight surface rust only, boots ok, body as is in diagram, windshield chips small, drivers seat door side 20cm tear x 1 3cm tear x2, passenger seat ok, dashboard ok, ceiling liner ok, no burns, clutch ok, gears ok, check lamps ok, lights ok, wipers ok

Wasn't thrilled with the seat rips, but everything else was what I wanted. Super excited to have a blue Kei truck. I've been keeping a running log of fees, and would be happy to share once everything settles.

Anyone that has recommendations for car transport in the Pacific North West I'm all ears.

savesthedayrocks
Mar 18, 2004
Nice! Those are Supra wheels, no?

savesthedayrocks
Mar 18, 2004
:kiss:VESSEL ETA IS 2-12

Starting to set up transport from port (Tacoma). I’ll take any recs if people have them.

Is there normally a delay in processing at the port? What would a realistic timeframe be to send the transport to pick up?

savesthedayrocks
Mar 18, 2004
As an owner of a 91, I approve! Looks great!

savesthedayrocks
Mar 18, 2004

everdave posted:

Thanks!!! Any input or tips/mods appreciate Oates!

If it’s a 91/92 US spec it’s got a 3fe engine, which everyone on ih8mud will poo poo on. I’ve had no problems with it, it’s slow but super reliable. The 3f was put into the 62 body style as well, so sometimes cross referencing earlier years can be helpful.

Also, all the same sites mentioned here for JDM parts is applicable. I’ve bought more parts from Amayama/megazip for my 91 than I have from a Toyota dealer.

savesthedayrocks
Mar 18, 2004
My truck should hit Tacoma tomorrow, and I’m already looking for another vehicle to bring over. This could be a problem!

I remember seeing a Crown and a HiAce van in this thread, any thoughts on which way to lean? My thought is HiAce for potential sale down the road.

savesthedayrocks
Mar 18, 2004
Thanks for the refs on HiAce. Having the engine over the seats seems weird! For you guys that bought one, any tips to look for?

savesthedayrocks
Mar 18, 2004

KakerMix posted:

To title an imported vehicle here in Florida requires the Entry Summary form you will receive completed by Homeland Security from your import broker...

I am in Sarasota and my area office is in Palmetto. Lucky for me as a licensed dealer they have mobile inspectors that can make the rounds. I email my inspector dude, he says when he’ll be by, he shows up, goes over the vehicles comparing paperwork to the actual vehicles, gives me a specific signed sheet of paper with his signature for every one of the vehicles he inspects. Those papers along with the paperwork I received from my import brokers (the same packet I give my driver/transport broker) come with me to the DMV to get Florida titles. Each title costs me around $110 per vehicle.

Can you clarify this part for me, what inspection is done before the title? Is it Homeland Security? I have the entry summary from GWL, and have a driver picking up the truck from port.

Edit: I think I figured it out based on how to title in Idaho, it’s someone from the state that inspects the vin.

savesthedayrocks fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Feb 17, 2021

savesthedayrocks
Mar 18, 2004
Cool, thanks. Using GWL and they emailed me the customs form completed so shouldn’t have to stop at customs.

JCD sent me the hard copies via DHL, I think I’m going to have my truck before I get my packet of papers!

savesthedayrocks
Mar 18, 2004

A Loud Fart posted:

Ok so I'm dipping a toe in this thread and a kei truck or van sounds like a pretty cool toy/project to run around in, for a possibly reasonable price? Here's an example: https://auc.japancardirect.com/aj-IHMumi76aSDit4.htm Dents and scratches, and a interior that is...Less than good, but not unexpected. Seller wants $550. Is that what these trucks realistically go for? I shopped brokers who would transport the vehicle from California to Colorado and the price is $700-$900. Alright, $1450, I'm not flinching! When you add the broker in Japan, the independent inspection, freighter free, and finally the USA broker, how much will that $500 truck cost? $3000-$3500? I mean, that's not good, but I would pay it. Is that fair?

I just got my truck delivered, the actual truck was less than my broker fees (JCD and GWL). I’d absolutely pay good money for a good truck, you are going to pay the same fees regardless (to an extent). I’m going to make an effort post on my experience once I come down from the excitement.

savesthedayrocks
Mar 18, 2004
Under in my opinion. $3500 for all the fees, plus the vehicle cost.

savesthedayrocks
Mar 18, 2004
Here’s some first day excitement pics. I laugh so much every time I see it, and driving around the subdivision is so weird.

On the truck

Customs missed the empty Red Bull can so it lives in the cup holder

Stickers are staying, I need all the horsepower I can get.

For scale- parked in half of a two car garage.

Here’s my ISF in the same spot.

savesthedayrocks
Mar 18, 2004
Interior is so dirty! I have to keep reminding myself that this is a WORK truck so I need to expect that.

I didn’t realize the door cards weren’t actually light grey!

73,000 km!

First mod! Shout out to Chappelle Show!

savesthedayrocks
Mar 18, 2004
Thanks for the info! Stuff for oil change is on the way, and I’ve been researching how to do the timing belt (I’ve never done one before).

Luckily where the paint is faded is on the top of the bed, so I’m contemplating doing a DIY bed liner solution. The rest should just need a polish.

Haven’t been able to drive it much yet, trying to get on the DMV’s calendar to get a title/registration.

savesthedayrocks
Mar 18, 2004
The Idaho DMV is giving me the run around, to confirm this would be “grey market” right? They were saying because it doesn’t have a FHSA sticker it’s not road legal. I tried to explain no import would have that, but there are tons of imports I’ve seen with my own eyes on the road in Idaho. She gave me a phone number to call, so now I’m waiting for the next step.

savesthedayrocks
Mar 18, 2004
No, I just told them it was a pickup truck. You are on to the mini truck thing though, I think they were trying to get me to register it as a OHV vehicle since it has a short wheelbase. Called the lady and now I’m just waiting to hear back. Meanwhile I’m combing through all the laws I can find (the website sucks)!

savesthedayrocks
Mar 18, 2004
Thanks for all the advice. I think the problem is it keeps going to the same person, who happens to be set in their ways. I’m in Boise, so I think escalation is just up and not around.

I talked to the inspector they referred me to, they were all good with the waiver form. They gave me the number to the title department. She kept getting me to say it was a mini truck, but I kept saying it was a cab over truck (like on the docs). The only other hurdle now is when they come out and measure, I’m wondering if there is certain dimensions the vehicle has to be.

savesthedayrocks
Mar 18, 2004
After digging through all the Idaho statutes, there is a part about UTV but literally anything from a smart for two, to a mini, to a crx would also fall into that category. Going back tomorrow and being more firm that I have everything in order.

savesthedayrocks
Mar 18, 2004
Well, I don’t want to fully count my chickens but the title craziness seems to be over. I walked in yesterday morning and the lady recognized me right away. She processed my title and registration immediately and was apologetic that she let someone else away her judgement on what to do. Gave me my paper title and stickers for my plate, so should get the physical plates/title in a couple weeks!

savesthedayrocks
Mar 18, 2004
#truckstuff

Giggled the whole time watching guys in their bro trucks trying to park/reverse out of spots. Folding the side down wasn’t really necessary, but why not.

savesthedayrocks
Mar 18, 2004
Super sweet! Do they let you take the roof rack off for shipping? I’m sure cost difference wouldn’t be much different though.

savesthedayrocks
Mar 18, 2004
So good, way to clean out the firehouse. The HiAce caught my eye too.

savesthedayrocks
Mar 18, 2004
Your level of knowledge on weird trim levels never ceases to amaze. I would have scrolled right past.

savesthedayrocks
Mar 18, 2004
Such a cool story, congrats on the sale!

I took the Acty out for a bunch of errands, and met up with a friend in the ~trendy~ part of town for lunch. Before I got my stuff together and truck locked up I had a guy come chat me up about it. When he asked how much it cost to get here I inflated the number and he didn’t bat an eye. I need to make some cards or something to get a business started.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

savesthedayrocks
Mar 18, 2004
Today was certainly a day with the Acty. I got an opportunity to shoot a video of it getting detailed with a local company. After it got all cleaned up we took it to Freak (hipster photo op) Alley. Driving through the alleys was perfect in the truck, I even squeezed by a full size van with plenty of room. As soon as the video gets edited I’ll share it here too.