Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
It's that time of the year. HBO's yearly showing of an NFL Training Camp. The 2017 team of choice is your Tampa Bay Buccaneers.

First Episode airs Tuesday, August 8th at 10PM ET.

Hype Video!

https://twitter.com/HBO/status/888822152970911744

Why Watch?

The Bucs are a young, up and coming team with plenty of personality.

Game of Thrones chat:
https://twitter.com/TBBuccaneers/status/892899152853651459

Gruden Cameo:
https://twitter.com/NFL/status/894290875689254912

A new fan movement known as the Stick Carriers:
https://twitter.com/jasonrlicht/status/893974159600082945
https://twitter.com/TBBuccaneers/status/893928367371825152

Ninja moves:
https://twitter.com/NFLFilms/status/893589898615283716

And of course Jameis:
https://twitter.com/TBBuccaneers/status/893184946520690689
https://twitter.com/NFLFilms/status/891704732112347136

wandler20 fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Aug 10, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer
I'm reeeeally excited for this. I read somewhere that HBO isn't airing it live on NOW/GO like they do GoT and I'll have to wait until Wednesdays at 5pm to watch it.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

"Stick Carriers" is so dumb it hurts.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

No Butt Stuff posted:

"Stick Carriers" is so dumb it hurts.

At least it's not something that the team started like the very cool and not at all ridiculous "Siege the Day" tag line.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

Joey Freshwater posted:

At least it's not something that the team started like the very cool and not at all ridiculous "Siege the Day" tag line.

And it's nice to finally have some optimism. The speak softly and carry a big motherfucking stick quote from Koetter was a pretty cool moment though.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Reminder that this airs tonight, but for those with NOW/GO (me) you'll have to wait until tomorrow at 5pm to watch.

Which is dumb.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
Get hyped! First episode airs tonight.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w10AnleekTE

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

Joey Freshwater posted:

Reminder that this airs tonight, but for those with NOW/GO (me) you'll have to wait until tomorrow at 5pm to watch.

Which is dumb.

Take this FWIW:

https://twitter.com/RodeiroMsr/status/895032394293628929

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

I have free HBO until October for some reason so maybe I'll watch, but probably not.

Are there any obvious Bucs storylines outside of the kicker battle?

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Ask me about how my football team's success determines my self worth, and how I wish I lived in New Orleans.

fsif posted:

I have free HBO until October for some reason so maybe I'll watch, but probably not.

Are there any obvious Bucs storylines outside of the kicker battle?

The return of Mike Smith and Dirk Koetter to Hard Knocks.

Which may make your decision to stay away even easier.

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

Hard Knocks: Tampa Bay Buccaneer Edition. Bring your whistle.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

will these boys run on their own gas or not

Roasted Donut
Aug 24, 2007

NWA WHITE POWERRR!!!!
Chris Godwin owns

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Very excited for this. Wonder if anyone will top not believing in dinosaurs.

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
But we're still the best dressed
Gerald McCoy became a weeb :stonk:

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy
@52:22 - Is that The Rains of Castamere??

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Not sure if anyone else agrees but I found the first episode to be pretty boring. Hopefully it'll pick up.

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Ask me about how my football team's success determines my self worth, and how I wish I lived in New Orleans.

shyduck posted:

Not sure if anyone else agrees but I found the first episode to be pretty boring. Hopefully it'll pick up.

Haven't seen it yet, but has Hard Knocks jumped the shark at this point?

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

My favorite part so far is the rookie singing O Canada

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

I pretty much assume Hard Knocks always kind of sucks unless it's the Cowboys or a Rex Ryan team.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

fsif posted:

I pretty much assume Hard Knocks always kind of sucks unless it's the Cowboys or a Rex Ryan team.

Sometimes you have to chuckle when all the coaches cut someone who ends up excellent somewhere else and the next season the coach gets fired. With all the talent in the coaching staff, all the hand-wringing, etc. Always puts a smile on my face.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
so which episode is going to have a bunch of linemen or wideouts go to a crocodile habitat/amusement park/golf course/mall and have a good laugh or whatever

this shows formula is old and boring at this point

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

Jameis is cool

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
https://twitter.com/gregauman/status/895400473951440896

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I'm just now watching. What the gently caress is McCoy wearing

e: him and his kids is :3: though

Joey Freshwater fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Aug 9, 2017

A Pale Horse
Jul 29, 2007

Joey Freshwater posted:

I'm just now watching. What the gently caress is McCoy wearing

e: him and his kids is :3: though

Just finished watching and Gerald is the best. A genuinely good guy. Best moment of the night was Koeter looking very awkward while Jon Gruden, in full Bucs coach cosplay, gave a half assed, cliche filled pep talk to him and Jameis and some other coaches. Koeter came off as kind of a hard rear end which I didn't expect for some reason. This show was basically made for me and I loved every minute of it, but I can't help but feel that its setting me up in a big way.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I know what moment you're talking about and I felt the same way. What was his comment after? "That guy hasn't let ball go has he?" Or something to that effect

A Pale Horse
Jul 29, 2007

Joey Freshwater posted:

I know what moment you're talking about and I felt the same way. What was his comment after? "That guy hasn't let ball go has he?" Or something to that effect

Something like "That guy doesn't miss coaching at all, does he?". Snarky fucker.

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

https://twitter.com/JimMWeber/status/895371820286828545

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

Jameis Winston literally recoiled at the sound of someone asking for consent.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

Chinatown posted:

so which episode is going to have a bunch of linemen or wideouts go to a crocodile habitat/amusement park/golf course/mall and have a good laugh or whatever

this shows formula is old and boring at this point

The past three seasons I haven't been able to get past the first couple of shows. It really has developed it's own tropes...

The wily veteran who just wants to do his job and not get hurt.

The rookie top pick who is hot poo poo but doesn't know what he's doing.

The hard nosed position coach who drops nuggets of wisdom and has a heart of gold.

Unathletic white UDFA who is total canon fodder.

The newly signed free agent who commutes six hours a day so he can be with his six kids.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Jiminy Christmas! Shoes! posted:

The past three seasons I haven't been able to get past the first couple of shows. It really has developed it's own tropes...

The wily veteran who just wants to do his job and not get hurt.

The rookie top pick who is hot poo poo but doesn't know what he's doing.

The hard nosed position coach who drops nuggets of wisdom and has a heart of gold.

Unathletic white UDFA who is total canon fodder.

The newly signed free agent who commutes six hours a day so he can be with his six kids.

Next time use spoiler tags.

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Jiminy Christmas! Shoes! posted:

When did Rivers become a Buc?

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

shyduck posted:

I agree as well. The stuff with Gruden was really cool, but honestly, I don't really care about "a day in the life" stuff and the training camp stuff they showed was pretty generic "Okay team, go out there and give 110% and execute!" nonsense.

I've never really watched Hard Knocks before, is this the typical format?

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Yeah it is now.

Sometimes you get something interesting. But like most shows that start off rough (yet interesting) they take it to a next level for viewership purposes.

Inside the NFL was a favorite of mine when it was the Len Dawson/Nick Buoniconti/Jerry Glanville era. Watching Collinsworth cringe when Glanville would grab him was always entertaining.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

I watched the first half and it was okay. The players are on the Bucs are a lot more compelling than the players on the Rams were. Too bad about Winston being a horrible rapist, he'd be fun to root for.

Dirk Koetter is really insanely boring and the only way I am able to feign interest any time he is on the screen is by pretending he is Rand Paul.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
I imagine being a fan of the team goes a long way with this series because I really enjoyed the first episode.

I did find it odd that Dirk had a Falcons helmet in his office but he had every team, pro and college, that he coached for there so I can sort of understand it.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

wandler20 posted:

I imagine being a fan of the team goes a long way with this series because I really enjoyed the first episode.

I mean, I'm a huge Bucs fan, but nothing about that makes that awkward construction metaphor any better.

"You see, they all have to work together as a team, so we have to be like them and all work together as a team!"

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

WampaLord posted:

I mean, I'm a huge Bucs fan, but nothing about that makes that awkward construction metaphor any better.

"You see, they all have to work together as a team, so we have to be like them and all work together as a team!"

That's some high level coach speak right there. You just knew at least one lame rear end coach couldn't wait to make that comparison.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doronin
Nov 22, 2002

Don't be scared

Colostomy Bag posted:

Inside the NFL was a favorite of mine when it was the Len Dawson/Nick Buoniconti/Jerry Glanville era. Watching Collinsworth cringe when Glanville would grab him was always entertaining.

God I miss that show. I never, ever missed a week of that show when they were hosting. You got really good analysis, the best highlights... ~*memories*~

Although to actually mention something of the topic, I'm glad the Glazers finally succeeded in their more-than-a-decade crusade to be featured on Hard Knocks.

• Locked thread