Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

CD, I have a problem. Just like you, I love watching movies. And like most of you, I am in love with the Criterion Collection. Even though I'm mod of this forum, my general film knowledge of foreign films, as well as "important films" has many holes in it. Because of the Barnes and Nobles sale twice a year of Criterion blu-rays (and DVDs), and through the recommendations of posters on this forum, I've been trying to fill those gaps in my repertoire.

It started in college with my first purchase during these sales, Seven Samurai. When I received that blu-ray and watched it for the first time, my eyes opened. I had never seen something in black and white look so good, and I had never known just how influential a film could be on so many other movies I had seen, even since I was a child with Bug's Life. Pandora's box had been opened. Almost every Criterion sale from that point forward I made sure to pick up at least one, usually three Criterion blu-rays. Almost all of them blind-buys do to putting my trust in the brand and the forum posters here. Since then, my collection has grown and grown and I've watched so many incredible movies.

What's the problem then?
This. This is the problem.

I don't actually loving watch them. I buy and buy and buy, but because of lack of time due to work (and having a life outside of it), I have an ever-growing pile of expensive, important paperweights. That's right, I haven't watched a single one of these, ever. Not even one of the ones in the box sets. One of them still has plastic wrap on it, for Christ's sake!

Jesus, dude. You should get on that...
You're right! And in that comes this thread. I'm on vacation this week from work. Not an actual vacation, one of the ones where I sit on my rear end all day for 7 days and do absolutely nothing. So what better way to fill my time then to watch all of these beautiful movies that I've been neglecting.

Oh, well cool. Have fun watchin-
Wait! Don't go! I said there would be prizes, didn't I? What's going to happen is that I am going to try to watch at least 3 movies a day. Some days I'll watch more, some days I'll watch less because I do plan on actually leaving my house at some points. When I watch a movie, I'm going to write a review of it after it ends. They might not be the most in depth reviews for some, but I plan on writing exactly what's going through my mind when the movie is over; my feelings, my observations, my thoughts. But I want you guys to participate in my movie marathon too. So for seven lucky people, you get a prize. One for each day of my vacation.

Prizes?
Oh yes.
  • The first grand prize: Your choice of a (non-box set, I'm not made of money) a Criterion Collection DVD or blu-ray from Barnes and Noble!
  • The second grand prize: A $25 Amazon e-Gift card!
  • Five other lucky winners: A new avatar/custom title (which can be redeemed at a later time if you like your current one)!

That's right. If you win the first, I'll buy you your choice of any (non-box set) Criterion DVD or blu-ray that is currently on Barnes and Noble's website, and have it shipped to you. If you win the second, you'll get a $25 Amazon gift card to make up for the fact that they're not half-off there (even though you'll probably use this to spend it on something else, you jerk). Five other lucky winners will receive a new avatar/custom title.

Wow! How do I enter?
I want this thread to not just be about me. I want you to be a part of it too, and to talk with me about movies. Do you like the movie I watched? Do you hate it? How much do you love the director? How great is the cinematography? Think I hosed up and got the wrong message? Post about it!

The Rules
    [1] To win the Criterion prize, you must be a U.S. resident. Sorry, international shipping is expensive. Please indicate in your first post in the thread if you are U.S. resident or not.
    [2] All winners will be chosen at random through random.org
    [3] To enter, all you need to do is make at least two (2) non-white-noise (i.e. "I like this movie,." "I don't like this movie") posts in this thread before Sunday August 13th, when the winners will be chosen. No additional entries for more than two posts, but please do anyway.
That's it. All you have to do is contribute to the discussion about the movies that I'm watching. You don't even need to talk about the specific movie I'm watching, as long as it's related. No one is going to get an advantage from making big effort posts, but don't let that stop you from making them. I'm doing this so that I, and everyone else, can get a better knowledge of film.

Cool. So what are you watching?
If you couldn't see from the giant HDR iPhone picture I posted, these are the films I'll be watching (organized by spine number, of course, thought I won't be watching them in order). As I watch them, I will update with a link to my review post. For the box set movies, I'm going to try to watch them on different days in order to have some kind of semblance of time passing. Also as mentioned earlier, these are all first time watches for me. I've not seen a single one of them.
The List
10 Walkabout
116 The Hidden Fortress
221 Ikiru
562 Blow Out
584 Kuroneko
628 The Forgiveness of Blood
662 Safety Last!
682 Investigation of a Citizen Above Suspicion
783 Pather Panchali
784 Aparajito
785 Apur Sansar
820 Fantastic Planet
821 Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb
834 Blood Simple
841 Lone Wolf and Cub: Sword of Vengeance
Lone Wolf and Cub: Baby Cart at the River Styx
Lone Wolf and Cub: Baby Cart to Hades
Lone Wolf and Cub: Baby Cart in Peril
Lone Wolf and Cub: Baby Cart in the Land of Demons
Lone Wolf and Cub: White Heaven in Hell
842 Dreams
857 Before Sunrise
858 Before Sunset
859 Before Midnight
888 Stalker

And that's everything. I'll be making a post when I start watching each movie. Because of real life and the fact I literally have the entirety of a week to watch them, all movies will be watched at random times of the day. I'm going to try to watch at least 3 movies a day, starting today.

Thanks to everyone for participating, and I hope you have as much fun as I do.

GonSmithe fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Aug 13, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
I don't know how you bought Blood Simple and then didn't immediately watch it six times in a row.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
US citizen here

Definitely watch The Before Trilogy throughout the week. Preferably Sunrise on the first day, Sunset halfway through, and Midnight at the end. As much space as possible between them is good. I'm also really excited to see what you have to say about Dr Strangelove in this day and age.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Non-US citizen, so I'm just here to make snide insinuations.

That is one hell of a line-up though. I'm jealous as hell right now.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Magic Hate Ball posted:

I don't know how you bought Blood Simple and then didn't immediately watch it six times in a row.

Blood Simple. is a loving masterpiece, any director would be proud to have it in their filmography, and it was the Coens' first, and nowhere near their greatest.

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy
I got a lot to say about my most beloved movie series of all time... the Before Trilogy! Very excited here

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
I can't wait until lots of people only post once in this thread, and then right before the contest's over I'm going to quote them all and say "(Julie Delpy's voice) you're going to miss your post"

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
US Citizen here.

Hope you watch the Lone Wolf and Cubs. I've seen the first 3 myself and they are an absolute blast. Would love to read your thoughts on them.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

I watched three movies plus Twin Peaks yesterday and I can't imagine doing that every single day, so best of luck.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

More open discrimination against Canadians on this subforum.

The only Lone Wolf and Cub movie I've seen is the weird western release that stitched a bunch of movies together to form a loose narrative. I wonder how good they are compared to the source material, which is extremely good.

I can't believe you've never seen Dr. Strangelove...

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

X-Ray Pecs posted:

US citizen here

Definitely watch The Before Trilogy throughout the week. Preferably Sunrise on the first day, Sunset halfway through, and Midnight at the end. As much space as possible between them is good. I'm also really excited to see what you have to say about Dr Strangelove in this day and age.

Jenny Angel posted:

I got a lot to say about my most beloved movie series of all time... the Before Trilogy! Very excited here
Yeah, that's specifically what I was planning on doing.

MacheteZombie posted:

US Citizen here.

Hope you watch the Lone Wolf and Cubs. I've seen the first 3 myself and they are an absolute blast. Would love to read your thoughts on them.
I'm watchin' 'em all, baby.

TrixRabbi posted:

I watched three movies plus Twin Peaks yesterday and I can't imagine doing that every single day, so best of luck.
Like I said, I'm going to be watching things at like 5am EST and whatnot. I usually live on about 5 hours of sleep so when I have an extra 9-10 hours every day this week from not working and the extra time from staying up later, I really have plenty of time. And I honestly really want to watch these, so.

Speaking of which, it's time to get started. I'm going to go make lunch really quick, and start Before Sunrise!

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
I'm a U.S. citizen too, please don't judge me.

Most of these movies are unassailable classics, so it's always nice to have an excuse to discuss them. Can't wait for you to get to the Apu Trilogy, Throne of Blood, Dr. Strangelove, and Stalker. Especially Stalker, I still can't even really articulate my feelings about Stalker and I'd love to read more people's thoughts on it.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

I wish I could watch Dr. Strangelove and Ikiru again for the first time... envious of your staycation.

~USA~

testtubebaby fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Aug 8, 2017

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

I’ll at least contribute something on Safety Last! since it’s one of my favorite silent comedies and my favorite outside of about half of Keaton’s filmography. Harold Lloyd gets overlooked a lot today.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

:911: citizen!

I almost don't want to tell you about Throne of Blood's most iconic moment, where the army has had enough of Mifune's poo poo and they shoot hundreds of arrrows at him. I almost want you to watch that scene for the first time, thinking they are shooting prop arrows. I almost don't have the heart to not spoil that Mifine is getting actual real arrows shot around him. Almost.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Egbert Souse posted:

I’ll at least contribute something on Safety Last! since it’s one of my favorite silent comedies and my favorite outside of about half of Keaton’s filmography. Harold Lloyd gets overlooked a lot today.

Safety Last! is absolutely insane.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

US citizen and I can relate to the desire to just mainline stuff day after day. I've been doing double features on Filmstruck lately, the most recent being Angel at My Table x Days of Heaven and the unintentionally best being L'Atalante x Fat Girl.

Looking forward to your reactions to Stalker, Blood Simple, and Blow Out and I'll be watching along with Aparajito and Apur Sansar since I've only seen Pather Pachali.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
The Lone Wolf & Cub set is the best Criterion release I've ever bought. Those movies are bonkers in the best way.

US citizen

Big Mean Jerk fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Aug 7, 2017

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy
I have a shameful backlog too. The B&N sales have replaced Steam Sales for me as my dumb consumerist outlet. I actually made some headway into checking off classics when they had them on Hulu but now that those are on some other thing I am much more careful about giving things a shot I may not like. I'm going to try and get through the ones I haven't seen before the end of the year, but I don't know if I'll be able to make time for Jeanne Dielman unless the mood really strikes me.

American citizen btw.

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Start remembering what you hear.
I'm working my way through the Apu Trilogy and I'm looking forward to your impressions; the first one blew me away, and the second was drat good too. I've heard nothing but great things about the third but haven't made the time for it yet, maybe this will get me around to it.

Throne of Blood rules, too. I'm also probably going to pick up Blood Simple and Stalker before the sale ends.

( :911: )

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Start remembering what you hear.

Toebone posted:

I'm working my way through the Apu Trilogy and I'm looking forward to your impressions; the first one blew me away, and the second was drat good too. I've heard nothing but great things about the third but haven't made the time for it yet, maybe this will get me around to it.

Throne of Blood and Dr. Strangelove are both excellent, too. I'm also probably going to pick up Blood Simple and Stalker before the sale ends.

( :911: )

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
US Citizen

Watch Blood Simple, Dr. Strangelove and Ikiru immediately. Together. In one day. Maybe in that order.

I just watched the Criterion Ikiru last week and it was awesome. Beautiful movie.

Blood Simple is amazing and it's frustrating as hell to know that it launched the careers of many great talents, even more talent was hanging out while they were filming (Bruce Campbell? Raimi bros? Holly Hunter?). It's infuriating how great of a first film it is, considering the Coens are two soft-spoken nebbish guys with philosophy and lit degrees who decided one day to make one of the most notable neo-noir films while they were couch surfing and their buddies were making some weird cabin horror film that would later go on to be The Evil Dead.

And Dr. Strangelove is a movie that gets better each time I watch it. Some people don't think it's funny--I didn't the first time I saw it--but I found it hilarious last time I saw it in theaters.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

"Twenty four boring hours..." "Who would want to watch that?"

For a movie that might not be incredibly subtle about what kind of movie it is (a romantic "comedy," two young kids falling in love), what struck me the most is the subtleties of Before Sunrise. Besides the stunningly beautiful landscapes and locales of Vienna, the movie focuses mainly on the two main characters and their conversations, and everything that goes along with having a conversation. The facial movements, the body language, the way that someone speaks. Linklater captures all of these unique aspects of each person masterfully, and helps tell the story with them greater than any script could have done without them. Ethan Hawke and Julie Delpy both make their characters real. Whether it be Jesse's constant nervous stammering or Celine's brow furrowing when he talks about biological differences between men and women, these subtleties bring these characters to life and make them feel real.

There's a beautiful scene of the two of them sitting in a restaurant, pretending to be calling their friends back home. The restaurant is filled with jovial Viennese, the only people not enjoying themselves being the two Americans (complaining about the service, like Jesse on the train), and the couple. As Celine talks to her "friend" and pretends to be Jesse's, her pinky trails her lips. She bites it, loses its movement as she tells herself her story and listens to his, theirs. Her eyes widen and focus on him and his greasy hair.

In the end, life is about the little things that happen to us. The encounters with others that shape our perception of the world and how we learn and change because of them. In the grand scheme of things, this movie is the span of twelve hours. But twelve hours is made up of twelve individual hours, made of of sixtiy individual minutes... etc., and what matters the most is how you spend that time before it ends; as everyone's does. And what better way to spend it then losing yourself with someone?

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

I can't wait to talk about Blow Out, the sound is mind-blowing.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I tried watching Blow-Up, but I just wasn't feeling it when I watched it. Should I shelve it for now and go to Blow-Out?

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

Lurdiak posted:

More open discrimination against Canadians on this subforum.

The only Lone Wolf and Cub movie I've seen is the weird western release that stitched a bunch of movies together to form a loose narrative. I wonder how good they are compared to the source material, which is extremely good.

I can't believe you've never seen Dr. Strangelove...

Shogun Assassin owns pretty hard. It's also pretty much essential viewing if you like Wu-Tang at all, as it's sampled on most of the tracks on Liquid Swords.

Also, Stalker being on that list reminds me that i sadly haven't gotten around to watching Ivan' s Childhood yet, which I got in the CineD secret Santa last year. Sorry, Babysitter Super Sleuth!

Btw I'm a freaking American!!!

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord
That's an awesome lineup of films, you're gonna have a good time. I just watched Stalker for the first time this past weekend and was blown away.

I also have a few Criterions sitting in my "to-watch" pile: Kuroneko, Eraserhead, and Blood Simple (I have seen the latter two but it's been a few years at least). I'll see if I can cross them off my list this week too!

(also in the US)

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

Shogun Assassin owns pretty hard. It's also pretty much essential viewing if you like Wu-Tang at all, as it's sampled on most of the tracks on Liquid Swords.

Shogun Assassin is worth watching for the score alone. I'd almost recommend watching that in place of the first two films, but I'm not sure how well that would mesh with a complete series watch. The first LW&C is good, but has some slow bits. The series as a whole really kicks into overdrive with the second film. IIRC, Shogun Assassin is most of the second film with only 10-15 minutes from the first.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

Detective No. 27 posted:

I tried watching Blow-Up, but I just wasn't feeling it when I watched it. Should I shelve it for now and go to Blow-Out?

Blow-Up sucks as much as Blow-Out owns.

Nroo
Dec 31, 2007

US citizen.

So much good stuff on that list.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

Having had Dr. Strangelove unwatched since I bought it last year, I can relate a little and it's also a reason I've held off so far in participating in this year's sale. Not an American though, but good luck to my fellow American posters.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
lone wolf and cub rips, you should just give me your lone wolf and cub poo poo

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Magic Hate Ball posted:

I couldn't get into Blow-Out. That, Overlord, and Broadcast News are the only Criterions I've ever gotten rid of.

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...
When I went through the Before films in preparation for Midnight a few years ago, the first one stood out as my favorite. Celine and Jesse are fairly naive 20-somethings, yes, but it's also them with the brightest eyes and the most hope for the future, enhanced by the Linklater's signature evocation of naturalism with his actors (and the fact that I was aware there were sequels out there). And I'll also appreciate any movie that's not afraid to be so aimless, as the other entries in the trilogy have more of a sense of urgency attached (which is great too since it means each film isn't so samey), but I'll always be for films that acknowledges doing things because you have all the time in the world for doing them.

e:murrcan

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Kuroneko is a personal favorite of mine and I can't wait to hear your opinion on it once you see it.

Arcella
Dec 16, 2013

Shiny and Chrome
I spent half of Investigation of a Citizen Above Suspicion thinking David Suchet was the lead actor. I really enjoyed the set design, I wish I could have a midcentury modern Italian house.

I'm in the :911:

Edit: I'll also add that I always liked the idea of a (general outline of the plot) detective investigating a murder he committed, but never came across anything with that plot even though I'm sure it's everywhere.

Arcella fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Aug 8, 2017

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I also can't believe you've never seen Dr. Strangelove: Or How I Stopped Worrying and Learned To Love The Bomb.

Though, I can't tell if the movie is more relevant than ever, or if it's now dated because the modern reality has become more ridiculous.

Watch this first. I think people haven't told you to watch it yet because it's so obvious.

Detective No. 27 fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Aug 8, 2017

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!

X-Ray Pecs posted:

Safety Last! is absolutely insane.

As is the transfer; it's bananas how great these silent films look. I wish every old movie could get the same treatment.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Magic Hate Ball posted:

I'm a fan of Blow-up as long as the protagonist isn't interacting with anybody but Vanessa Redgrave. The parts where he's talking to anyone else are trash.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT
Non-US citizen here, but hol yshit you haven't watched Dr Strangelove?

Echoing Detective No. 27 above here, but it really, really resonates a lot more than it might have five years ago, but it's absolutely delightful in that "everything's hosed so let's just roll with it" way. It's also a nice aside from other Kubrick in that it's a lot more playful and perhaps less cynical than the underlying comedy ("comedy"?) in stuff like A Clockwork Orange and Full Metal Jacket.

• Locked thread