Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
I guess now is probably the perfect time to watch Dr. Strangelove, huh?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

GonSmithe posted:

Yea I think I'm gonna watch it later today as well. May as well get one last viewing in....

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

GonSmithe posted:

Last time I watched it, it was nerve-wracking how little has changed, which made it funnier and more depressing.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

We cannot allow a Criterion gap!

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

I picked a great time to watch this movie. The threat of nuclear war, the thought of the ideals of one man being more important than the nation. As stressing and as close to reality it may be, it's also genuinely hilarious. Multiple times throughout the movie I was belly-laughing. Life is absurd, and it's incredible that this movie can be as relevant then as it is now. God Bless America, Mein Fuh- Mr. President!

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Best character in Dr. Strangelove is George C. Scott's. Such a loveable rear end in a top hat.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Ikiru's up next, after lunch because I guess I need to cry today.

Arcella
Dec 16, 2013

Shiny and Chrome

Dr. Strangelove is one of my favorite movies, probably top 2. The funny thing is I came to it in the early 2000s as a 13-14 year old after seeing this time capsule of a Powerade commercial:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=43Fuzo8C5_c

I watched it and it was enjoyable enough, by the end realized it had the guy from the Pink Panther movies, and hey there's James Earl Jones! But as I got older and more politically aware(ish) it made a lot more sense, and of course someone much smarter than me could write one hell of an essay comparing this to our current "showdown" with North Korea over nukes.

The movie is of course known for Sellers' three roles, but Sterling Hayden and George C Scott steal the show as far as I'm concerned.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

I can't even believe I have to say this:

Do not tell us how pure your essence is.

It's disgusting and weird and frankly speaks to a deep sadness at the core of your being.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
The North Koreans will never get my precious bodily fluids.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

Arcella posted:

of course someone much smarter than me could write one hell of an essay comparing this to our current "showdown" with North Korea over nukes.

No essay is needed, just having Dr Strangelove exist concurrently with our present reality is enough.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Pretty sure Criterion could have gotten away with accidentally pressing Blurays of current news instead of Strangelove.mov and nobody would have noticed the difference.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

I love how Dr. Strangelove is so supercharged with so many sexual subtexts. It's basically saying war is just a battle of who has a bigger dick.

Also, half of what makes the film funny (besides a great cast) is that it's shot to look like a dark, brooding thriller, yet it only makes the absurdity that much funnier.

Tangents
Aug 23, 2008

I've only ever bought a few things from Criterion sales but I'm still in the same boat of never getting around to watching it. In fact, I bought the same two Kurosawa films, Throne of Blood and Hidden Fortress, since I had seen and liked some of his other ones and thought I'd give it a blind shot. Still haven't gotten around to Hidden Fortress, but at least I gave Throne a shot...and I'm finding it kind of hard to remember my reaction to it, so maybe I just have to give it another shot v:shobon:v

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

I haven't watched Strangelove in ages. I feel like I'd have a greater appreciation of George C. Scott's character now.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Edit: I posted this in the wrong thread.

Detective No. 27 fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Aug 12, 2017

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

George C. Scott's performance is good, but more for how it contrasts with Ripper's. Having this cartoon in the war room really throws you for a loop when Ripper starts talking and he's bone serious.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord
Finally got around to (re-)watching Blood Simple and Eraserhead the past two nights. Both are amazing films, made even more impressive by being the debut features from their respective directors. Both also look pretty great on blu-ray. The last Criterion sitting my shelf unmatched is Kuroneko, which I think I'll check out this evening.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

So obviously I did not, in fact, watch all the movies. It turns out that I'm actually more popular than I thought (:smug:) and I actually had a much more active week than I normally would. I'm still going to finish watching these movies. I'm gonna try to watch at least one a night until I'm done with them.

:siren: But more importantly,. here are the winners! :siren:

The winner of the Criterion of their choice: Basebf555!
The winner of the Amazon e-gift-card: Samuel Clemens!
And our five avatar winners: Spatulater bro!, MacheteZombie, Discount Viscount, Power of Pecota, Colonel Whitey!

I'm going to send a PM to the two big winners asking for their credentials. For the five avatar winners, please send me a PM (or an email to gonsmithesa@gmail.com) and I will get you set up with that. As mentioned in the original post, if you don't want to change your avatar now you can still keep your winning until you are ready to change it.

Thanks again everyone for participating, I'm sorry it didn't work out the way I wanted it. But I hope you'll still stick around as I watch the others!

edit- Dammit, neither of you have pms, Samuel Clemens and Baseball please send me an email at gonsmithesa@gmail.com. Baseball I'll need your address, Samuel I just need an email.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
So Dickeye gets to be mod for a week now?

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

GonSmithe posted:

edit- Dammit, neither of you have pms, Samuel Clemens and Baseball please send me an email at gonsmithesa@gmail.com. Baseball I'll need your address, Samuel I just need an email.

Just emailed you. Thanks again!

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Basebf555 posted:

Just emailed you. Thanks again!

I sent you an email back

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

You can reroll an avatar winner to replace me, I'm happy sticking with Caterine Vauban - I just couldn't pass up the shot at a Criterion.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Hoooly poo poo, I'm a bit late to the party on this one but I just watched the new Blood Simple Criterion yesterday and it's absolutely stunning. I'd seen the film like 15 years ago but on blu ray it REALLY is something. Very, very difficult to believe that this is a debut. Crazy thing is that the Coens are interviewed in the supplements and they can't stop talking about all the "mistakes" they made with the lighting. Tastes change as people age and mature, I guess.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Basebf555 posted:

Hoooly poo poo, I'm a bit late to the party on this one but I just watched the new Blood Simple Criterion yesterday and it's absolutely stunning. I'd seen the film like 15 years ago but on blu ray it REALLY is something. Very, very difficult to believe that this is a debut. Crazy thing is that the Coens are interviewed in the supplements and they can't stop talking about all the "mistakes" they made with the lighting. Tastes change as people age and mature, I guess.

If you have an hour to blow, you should check out their interview for the Film Society of Lincoln Center with Noah Baumbach: Where and How to Begin a Film?

It's not really visual (they cut out all the clips they show), and it shows how self-deprecating they are.

"We didn't want to comb through our own movies, so we decided to just do a whole thing about our intros."

"Wow, we really like intros of people talking about nothing while we show footage."

"Here's another rambling monologue to start the film".

It's great.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

GonSmithe posted:

Email sent. Thanks again.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
I'm now the proud owner of the Mulholland Drive Criterion, just arrived today. Thanks GonSmithe!

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Basebf555 posted:

I'm now the proud owner of the Mulholland Drive Criterion, just arrived today. Thanks GonSmithe!

Really good choice

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Franchescanado posted:

Really good choice

It was actually my third choice, but obviously its hard to go wrong with Criterion. With October coming up my first two choices were Night of the Hunter and Eyes Without a Face, but they were both out of stock because it was so close to the end of the sale.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Basebf555 posted:

It was actually my third choice, but obviously its hard to go wrong with Criterion. With October coming up my first two choices were Night of the Hunter and Eyes Without a Face, but they were both out of stock because it was so close to the end of the sale.

I don't know how yiu feel about musicals, but you should probably get around to watching The Lure. I'm really interested in seeing all the supplements Criterion's going to do for it.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Franchescanado posted:

I don't know how yiu feel about musicals, but you should probably get around to watching The Lure. I'm really interested in seeing all the supplements Criterion's going to do for it.

I'm definitely going to at some point, I just wouldn't blind-buy it because I typically don't get into musicals. The Lure sounds like it's pretty out there though so I'll definitely give it a go.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Basebf555 posted:

I'm definitely going to at some point, I just wouldn't blind-buy it because I typically don't get into musicals. The Lure sounds like it's pretty out there though so I'll definitely give it a go.

Yeah, no need to waste the free blu-ray on a blind buy. Do let me know when you watch it, I'm interested in your thoughts.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Basebf555 posted:

Night of the Hunter and Eyes Without a Face

Get Filmstruck n watch them

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

MacheteZombie posted:

Get Filmstruck n watch them

I'm stubbornly refusing to sign up for Filmstruck until they have a PS4 app.

Anyway, I've seen both before, and they're great so I'd like to own physical copies. Eyes Without a Face especially was really, really excellent.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Basebf555 posted:

Anyway, I've seen both before, and they're great so I'd like to own physical copies. Eyes Without a Face especially was really, really excellent.

Fair enough, took your post as saying you hadn't seen them!

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Basebf555 posted:

Same. It's ridiculous that they're still saying first quarter of 2017 on their website. :psyduck:

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

MacheteZombie posted:

Fair enough, took your post as saying you hadn't seen them!

I was able to watch a ton of Criterions on Hulu before they lost them to Filmstruck, so there's a bunch that I'd like to eventually pick up on blu ray. Definitely Night of the Hunter and Eyes Without a Face, but also some of Antonioni's stuff and a few Kurosawas that are still missing from my collection.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Basebf555 posted:

I was able to watch a ton of Criterions on Hulu before they lost them to Filmstruck, so there's a bunch that I'd like to eventually pick up on blu ray. Definitely Night of the Hunter and Eyes Without a Face, but also some of Antonioni's stuff and a few Kurosawas that are still missing from my collection.

Between Arrow and Criterion, I'll be able to build my house of Blurays soon.

So many good movies to own and in pristine quality.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

MacheteZombie posted:

Between Arrow and Criterion, I'll be able to build my house of Blurays soon.

So many good movies to own and in pristine quality.

If I were lost in the woods with only my blu ray collection, I could totally build a reasonably sized shelter with them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Hey guys what should my new avatar be?

• Locked thread