Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
I don't know how you bought Blood Simple and then didn't immediately watch it six times in a row.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

Detective No. 27 posted:

I tried watching Blow-Up, but I just wasn't feeling it when I watched it. Should I shelve it for now and go to Blow-Out?

Blow-Up sucks as much as Blow-Out owns.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I couldn't get into Blow-Out. That, Overlord, and Broadcast News are the only Criterions I've ever gotten rid of.

Broadcast News is charming, you fool!!

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
Broadcast News also has that great bit with the Norman Rockwell painting, which I could watch over and over.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
Blow Out is so goddarn good. De Palma had such a great flair for the dramatic back then and an understanding of how entertaining it is to be engaged in craft. The finale is a standout but the failed scream in the opening is one of the funniest things in cinema.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
De Palma from his very beginning up until about Body Double is one of the great runs of films.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

Franchescanado posted:

You're drat right it is. I'd love to see the Criterion blu-ray of Blood Simple.

It's stunning.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
It's fun because the audience gets involved with the movie on a gameplay level - we know how many bullets are in the gun, we know what so and so really means when they say such and such - and the great joke is that it's still suspenseful and unexpected, even though we, the audience, get far more information than the characters, who are all playing their own separate games, do. The handcrafted nature is really fun as well, I miss that punky vibe from the Coen's recent works, that feeling of making a movie for the love of making a movie. If you haven't yet, check out the fundraiser trailer they made before they made the actual movie:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yTHCKnhFkwM

I mean, what could be more straightforwardly tantalizing than those shots of the gun waving and the woman backing away? It's pure cinema.

edit: ich bin ein americaner

Magic Hate Ball fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Aug 9, 2017

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
Red Beard is the most underwhelming Kurosawa I've seen so far - it sounds like a great premise, but when you get down to the granular dramatic details it's just sort of repetitive and shallow.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

Arcella posted:

of course someone much smarter than me could write one hell of an essay comparing this to our current "showdown" with North Korea over nukes.

No essay is needed, just having Dr Strangelove exist concurrently with our present reality is enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

• Locked thread