Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
let it mellow
Jun 1, 2000

Dinosaur Gum
I remembered liking the sword of Shannara trilogy a long time ago so I've been reading more of his books. And the answer is yes, terry brooks is good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat
no

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat
close htread

Funxion
Nov 30, 2005

This man talks to empty chairs at conventions. Please help this man back to being an idol. Fight Alzheimers!
Too many tragic heroes, but the prologues actually were kinda good to explain the origin of the world he used. But, really I thought the whole tragic hero thing got quite out of hand throughout most of his trilogies.

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

Chief of J.U.N.K.E.R. H.Q.
No. But he is popular, which is far more fiscally rewarding.

MartingaleJack
Aug 26, 2004

I'll split you open and I don't even like coconuts.

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT CROSSING THE STREAMS

I read Sword of Shannara before Lord of the Rings so I didn't know it was a point for point, character for character, complete and total.ripoff.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

No, :gas:

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

I read something with a runner girl, a wizard paladin and demons, but mostly set in the real world. Going from that to shanarra was pretty jarring. 😀

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Avalerion posted:

I read something with a runner girl, a wizard paladin and demons, but mostly set in the real world. Going from that to shanarra was pretty jarring. 😀

They are the same setting.

This is not a joke post, I am 100% serious.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

No.

I mean if you're just looking to move time forward and you're not into substance abuse or binge watching netflix shows then maybe these books are for you, but that's all they're good for.

Sir Simon Milligan
Mar 27, 2003

Yes, I have walked along the path of evil many times, it's a twisting curving path, that actually leads to a charming block garden, but beyond that evil!

Were the Kingdom for Sale books any good? I vaguely remember reading them when I was a kid.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

p. nice Wolf Parade ref posted:

Were the Kingdom for Sale books any good? I vaguely remember reading them when I was a kid.

I definitely read the first one as a kid and remember absolutely nothing about it, so I'm going to veer towards 'no'

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

If you're into comedy fantasy where a dumpy rich American plays out a power fantasy and IIRC marries a tree, I suppose you could read them.

OWLS!
Sep 17, 2009

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Brooks is a better writer than Tolkein.

His OG books are basically lotr fanfic tho.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
If you're used to reading Terry Goodkind he is a vast improvement

If you're used to reading China Mieville then no

His Magic Kingdom for Sale -- Sold! is like the archetypal 1980s pulp fantasy novel though

You could make a not-bad made-for-tv cartoon kids movie out of it, especially the wizard who accidentally turned himself into a dog

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Aug 11, 2017

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

OWLS! posted:

talk about a sophie's choice

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat

OWLS! posted:

you are developmentally delayed

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
The first book is a LOTR rip off, the next couple of trilogies are some decent fantasy pulp with a neat twist, then it rapidly goes downhill into formulaic ultra-poo poo writing.

I dunno, I enjoyed the whole post-apocalypse magic world thing where you occasionally visit the ruins of the old world. They're pretty hard to read now that I'm older than 15 though.

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...
He's better than Piers Anthony at least

let it mellow
Jun 1, 2000

Dinosaur Gum

Rime posted:

The first book is a LOTR rip off, the next couple of trilogies are some decent fantasy pulp with a neat twist, then it rapidly goes downhill into formulaic ultra-poo poo writing.

I dunno, I enjoyed the whole post-apocalypse magic world thing where you occasionally visit the ruins of the old world. They're pretty hard to read now that I'm older than 15 though.

Think I agree with this. All the twists got predictable in later series. He probably peaked with the Shadowen books

E. Source, I read all the series while traveling a bunch over the last few weeks

Whistling Death
Aug 16, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

Juaguocio posted:

He's better than Piers Anthony at least

Piers Anthony is a nice change of pace and wrote fun books. He's no Terry Pratchett, mind you.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
Nothing says fun like explicit gang rape of children

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat
haha what

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Piers Anthony has a book that has a 12 year old girl being gang raped in explicit detail in the opening chapters

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat
nice

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

isnt there some crap about child gang rape in a stephen king book as well

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

A human heart posted:

isnt there some crap about child gang rape in a stephen king book as well

No that was a completely consensual preteen gangbang

Whistling Death
Aug 16, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Piers Anthony has a book that has a 12 year old girl being gang raped in explicit detail in the opening chapters

Are you talking about "And Eternity"?
Been a while since I read that series.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Whistling Death posted:

I'm pretty sure he means the "Bio of a Space Tyrant" series. The first book is about a spaceship full of kid refugees who are repeatedly attacked, raped, and/or killed by space pirates. Plus underage sex, cannibalism, and heavily hinted at incest.

Whistling Death
Aug 16, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

Selachian posted:

I'm pretty sure he means the "Bio of a Space Tyrant" series. The first book is about a spaceship full of kid refugees who are repeatedly attacked, raped, and/or killed by space pirates. Plus underage sex, cannibalism, and heavily hinted at incest.

Huh, sounds pretty hosed up.

Xanth novels were fun. :shrug:

MartingaleJack
Aug 26, 2004

I'll split you open and I don't even like coconuts.
Is Piers Anthony any good?

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...

BananaNutkins posted:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3560541&pagenumber=1

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Whistling Death posted:

Selachian posted:

I love that you guys mentioned two separate book series and neither of you were right

The judges were looking for "Virtual Mode"

OWLS!
Sep 17, 2009

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

chernobyl kinsman posted:

you are developmentally delayed

Hey, tolkien wrote some neat poo poo, his prose was dryer than Mercury tho.

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat

OWLS! posted:

Hey, tolkien wrote some neat poo poo, his prose was dryer than Mercury tho.

just devestatingly retarded

Whistling Death
Aug 16, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

BananaNutkins posted:

Xanth books are good. A couple of the Incarnations of Immortality books (Death and Satan in particular) are good.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

BananaNutkins posted:

Well, by all accounts, he's a hell of a nice guy in person.

His books are weird and pervy though.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Whistling Death posted:

Xanth books are good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Whistling Death posted:

A couple of the Incarnations of Immortality books (Death and Satan in particular) are good.

I liked those as a teenager but refuse to revisit them after that super-pedo horror novel he wrote, which I refuse to Google the name of (Firefly? Firebug?)

• Locked thread