Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shaddak
Nov 13, 2011

I know they may not be considered Muslims, strictly speaking, but what's your take on B'hai? Do Muslims view them as nonbelievers, or more like how Catholics view Protestants?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaddak
Nov 13, 2011

Another question springs to mind, given the thread title. What's the deal with djin? I mean, I know they aren't the fun loving genies we see in animated movies. Where do they come from, and what place do they hold in Islamic theology?

Shaddak
Nov 13, 2011

CommissarMega posted:

Oh don't worry, I won't hesitate to say 'gently caress the Saudis' as much as I can. Their Wahhabist brand of reactionary thought is a cancer on modern religious practices, and it galls me to see so many people, Muslim or otherwise, look the House of Saud and think 'yep, that's a Muslim all right'. And let's face it, they're hardly the ones to talk about being good Muslims when they sin like the worst of 'em.

If I may butt in here myself, my favourite part of the Qur'An is the simple beginning to just about everything, 'Bismi-llāhi-raḥmāni-raḥīm':

Muslims don't just recite it before we read the Surahs, we say it when we get up in the morning, before every bite of food, before we embark on an endeavour etc. (or at least, that was the way we do it in Malaysia, dunno how it is overseas). It basically means "In the name of Allah, the All Forgiving and All Merciful/Loving", and it's always appealed to me that of all the 99 traits that the Creator chose to know Him by, it's those two. Not 'Al-Quduus' (the all-Holy), not 'As-Salaam' (the Saviour), not 'Al-Muhaimin' (the Protector), not even 'Al-Hakam' (the Judge) or 'Al-'Adil' (the Fair/Just), which are traits you'd expect to see associated with a divine being.

Unfortunately, fundamentalists are often the last people to actually read their holy books, and welp.

I know absolutely no Arabic, so forgive me if this sounds silly. What do long swooshes, like the one in that picture, represent in Arabic sentences? Is it a sound, or some kind of pause?

Shaddak
Nov 13, 2011

This isn't related to Islam, strictly speaking, but I wanted to crosspost something interesting I came across in the Christianity thread. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LT_ANOw-YzU That's a Byzantine chant used in Greek Orthodox churches. I know almost nothing about liturgical music, but I bring it up because something about the vocal style used sounds like the call to prayer (to my non-muslim ears, anyway).

Shaddak
Nov 13, 2011

Grape posted:

The coffee/tea thing is huge in Christian areas in or adjacent to the Middle East as well, so I have to doubt it has major religious origin.

Not to mention many Muslims that really wanted to be intoxicated historically did in fact just go and drink alcohol, some still do. Reading back into the historical states and empires of the Muslim world you encounter drinking aplenty, even if it sometimes got repressed by social crusades and more conservative rulers. You even had some Sufis involving alcohol in spiritual practices.

I mean heck the two really aren't the same experience to pursue. True blue Mid Eastern coffee is like downing an adderall in liquid form, very different from the slow-down relaxation vibe booze gives.

Being a big fan of Turkish coffee, I can confirm this.

• Locked thread