Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

Generic reader who always seems to ask pertinent questions in original posts.

Ahh, a new Grey Hunter LP, erm, wait. The Sims 3?
Where are the hexes Grey? WHERE ARE THE HEXES?

Yep! I’ve decided to go completely out of my comfort zone on this one! If you have no idea who I am, that because most of my LP’s are of Grognard (hardcore) wargames, and you might not have any interest in those. Suffice it to say, I’m on my Second daily post run of War in the Pacific.
I’m a little nuts.

But.. But.. The Sims 3?

Yep. I would normally introduce the game, but if you don’t know what the people torturing phenomenon is, you’ve been under a rock for a long time.

Pictured. the average ending for a sim once their owner is bored of them.

But this is not going to be the house of goons style LP’s you’ve seen before. This will be The Sims with rules and goals. I’m going to grog up a game that is famous for having no real point beyond the torture of imaginary people.
This is going to be a Legacy Challenge.

I’ll bite, but only because I’m a voice that you are controlling and I have to say what you want me to say.

Thanks!
The Legacy challenge is a gameplay style where you start with a single sim and next to no money, living in an almost abandoned lot, and over the next 10 generations try to amass as much wealth and happiness for you Dynasty as possible.

To begin with I will create a single sim of your choosing, then start in the largest empty lot I can buy. This will leave me with about $1,800 left to buy the “house” - which as you guess will not be much! After that play opens up a bit and I will try and take this nobody to the most powerful family in town!

1) No cheating or save scumming
2 )Normal length lifespans. Nothing can be used to extend the Sims lifespan or bring them back from the dead. (Arguing with death for more time is aceptable)
3 )The following lifetime rewards cannot be used - Inheritance, Dusty Old Lamp, Immortal or Age Freeze.
4) Sims that are related to the family are considered “Bloodline” and contribute points. Non “bloodline” sims may contribute money, but not lifestyle points to the family. Adopted sims DO count as part of the bloodline. Married sims only count as bloodline once they produce the next generation.
5) No player created sims can be moved in, any sim that leaves the house may not return. All other sims are fair game. Every generation an Heir must be nominated. This is the person who will remain in the house and birth the next Generation
6) Sims who leave the house no longer contribute points to the family. They are dead to us.
7) All traits must be randomly selected or assigned by the game.
8) The Thread may also impose extra rules. These can be suggested by anyone, and will be ratified with a simple yes/no vote by readers.

So, how do we score those points then?

Generation points - We get one point per generation - for an obvious max of 10!

Portraits, sculpture and books - We obviously need some way of remembering the past! A portrait of the Sim, a sculpture or a Biography/Autobiography can be displayed for 1 point per sim after their death.

House Value - 1 point for every $100,000 the house is worth, up to $2,000,000/20 points.

Aspiration Rewards - 1 point for earning 100,000 lifetime aspiration points on any sim, with a second point for 200,000! We of course want our sims to live good lives.

Thread points - Got something you want me to do? Maybe you think that a mausoleum is an important thing for the family to have. We will decide points and vote for it in the thread.

So, we need a Sim to run through this hell. But I want you guys to supply me with an idea. In my head this is a drifter who is finally settling down. A hobo who has nothing to their name, but you may well come up with something far better.

I need a name, a short backstory and some personality traits. Remember that the Sim will start as a young adult, so don’t have thirty years of all the expansion packs (or know what’s in all of them), so you are limited to the following.

Appaloosa Plains. Although it has a big plateau. Expect cowboys or something, I don’t know.

Bridgeport. The inner city experience.

Sunset Valley. The default setting IIRC.

Twinbrook - Marshtown if you ask me!

Vote for the guy you like the most if you don’t fancy submitting one. These things tend to generate leaders quickly.

I reserve the right to make the person look as much of a bum as I can.

Let’s start a dynasty that will last ten generations!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Well, this is different.

Should we just get it out of the way quick and name the Sim "British Navy"? :v:

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011
Appaloosa Plains is clearly the most defensible :colbert:

How are we feeling about Dan Sickles ?

A brash young man with an eye for the ladies. Rumored to have fled the big city after killing a rival in a duel the other may not have known he was in.

Pink hair.

Flavius Aetass fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Aug 10, 2017

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
I like Bridgeport

Blastinus
Feb 28, 2010

Time to try my luck
:rolldice:
Crap.
Appaloosa Plains looks like the perfect location for your great-grandchildren's evil lair.

Because let's face it, if we're crafting a wealthy dynasty, there are going to be some shady dealings sooner than later.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I feel our Sim family name should be Enterprise, both to commemorate the WitP's most famous ship, and to represent the goals set out by the family.

Our founding father should of course therefore be Bruiser, a homeless military history buff from Brooklyn.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Leperflesh posted:

I feel our Sim family name should be Enterprise, both to commemorate the WitP's most famous ship, and to represent the goals set out by the family.

Our founding father should of course therefore be Bruiser, a homeless military history buff from Brooklyn.

And we must name our estate entiwetok

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011
If we're going that route, the family name should be Essex so Grey can't sink it.

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Joe Ogoonu, second-generation immigrant from glorious Ghana.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I nominate our family name be obscure in joke

pthighs
Jun 21, 2013

Pillbug
Sleazy Pete Martini

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

Leperflesh posted:

Yeah it's this.

Actually, first thread point idea I can think of, some extra points (3?) for building up our house to look like the beached Enterprise. Even more points if it's the Enterprise at sea with the rest of the lot turned into water (swimming pool or pond, I'm not picky).

E: Or the Essex or the Yorktown. I'm not too particular, but we gotta live in a carrier of some sort.

Crazycryodude fucked around with this message at 06:23 on Aug 10, 2017

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Flavius Belisarius posted:

If we're going that route, the family name should be Essex so Grey can't sink it.

The Kiafeng family.

pthighs
Jun 21, 2013

Pillbug
The Shaw-Katack clan.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Crazycryodude posted:

Yeah it's this.

Actually, first thread point idea I can think of, some extra points (3?) for building up our house to look like the beached Enterprise. Even more points if it's the Enterprise at sea with the rest of the lot turned into water (swimming pool or pond, I'm not picky).

E: Or the Essex or the Yorktown. I'm not too particular, but we gotta live in a carrier of some sort.

TOKYO BAY FORTRESS IS LOCATED AT TOKYO BAY

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

Norma/Norman Terprise
Every child (if we get to name them) is named to keep up the N. Terprise naming scheme.

Does random traits mean our starting sim is restricted? Or do we get complete freedom with the first one's stats and stuff to set a tone, and only the descendants are random? (I haven't played since the original sims like 2 decades ago)

E: bonus point for keeping the family surname to the end?

simplefish fucked around with this message at 06:51 on Aug 10, 2017

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

Do neglected kids still get sent off to military school in Sims 3? Could be a fun mechanic if we gained some points but lost their earning potential as they're taken away

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!

simplefish posted:

Do neglected kids still get sent off to military school in Sims 3? Could be a fun mechanic if we gained some points but lost their earning potential as they're taken away

With a certain expansion, I forget which one, you can send your kids off to Boarding School.

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

It would be awesome if we could dance!
A glorious new adventure awaits Tokyo Bay Fortress in Apaloossa!

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

I'm in favour of Bridgeport - hobos tend to live downtown

Raldan
Oct 21, 2010

HH Challenge Caster
(Pls no bm)
To give a suggestion that's not an inside joke

Charles Ponzi

A recent immigrant to Bridgeport, with big hopes of striking it rich.

General Revil
Sep 30, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The founder should be a young man that signed up for the Navy, blew his enlistment bonus on dependas, booze, and a down payment on a sports car financed at 23%. He then got kicked out after a year or so, had to pay his enlistment bonus back, got his car repossessed, and is now practically homeless.

He'll get back at them though. He plans on turning the plains into the home port for his family's future Navy.

General Revil fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Aug 10, 2017

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

simplefish posted:

Norma/Norman Terprise
Every child (if we get to name them) is named to keep up the N. Terprise naming scheme.

Does random traits mean our starting sim is restricted? Or do we get complete freedom with the first one's stats and stuff to set a tone, and only the descendants are random? (I haven't played since the original sims like 2 decades ago)

E: bonus point for keeping the family surname to the end?

It's free choice on the founder, then random from then on.

Captain Postal
Sep 16, 2007
Is this thread going to be one day per day for the next 10 generations too?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I vote for Bridgeport, which will one day rue the name Johnny O'Goone.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

If i didn't have a 16 month old eating my time it might have been. Sim lives are short.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
Can you build hexagonal houses? I used to do octagons in Sims 1, but hexagons are suitably groggy as a construction requirement. Or staggered squares, if the angles don't work out right.

The Tokyo Bay Fortress must be a model of grognard style.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I'm voting for Bridgeport because hobo, duh, but I'll leave the Sim up to everyone else.

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

Bridgeport

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Right, starting to organise this -
Appaloosa = 4
Bridgeport = 6

Dan Sickles = 1
Bruiser Enterprise = 3
Joe Ogoonu = 1
Sleazy Pete Martini = 1
Noman Terprinse = 1
Tokyo Bay Fortress = 1
Charles Ponzi = 1
Johnny O'Goone. = 1

S w a y z e
Mar 19, 2007

f l a p

I don't care who we are but I know the only proper place for a hobo is Bridgeport

RA Rx
Mar 24, 2016

Bruiser Enterprise
Appaloosa

Could we start with 0 dollars after buying the cheapest lot? That'd be awesome, trying not to starve to death off the bat.

Iunnrais
Jul 25, 2007

It's gaelic.
How can we be a Hobo living under a bridge if we don't live in Bridgeport?

And while I don't care much about the name, I do vote for General Revil's backstory of being a Navy washout.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

For maximum glitches down the line and the proper hobo aesthetic, let's go Bridgeport.

I don't really care about the name though.

Good luck! I considering doing this myself with the random variation, but uh. A ten generation game is very long and a ten generation game of TS3 specifically is very glitchy as the save files balloon.

Leon Cross
May 10, 2016
Bruiser Enterprise

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade
I like Twinbrook and Bruiser Enterprise.

If it's an available career in this game, I suggest instituting a thread rule that, starting with the starting sim's kids, at least one child must become a member of the military.

Epsilon Moonshade
Nov 22, 2016

Not an excellent host.

Sorry for the :downs: here, but is this going to be a screenshot LP, or a video LP? I looked around and I couldn't find any indication either way.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!
Bridgeport for maximum game tripping over itself. I suggest the founder also be Evil, and that every heir will also have that trait.

I know it's in the base game.

Ikasuhito
Sep 29, 2013

Haram as Fuck.

Twinbrook, Enterprise

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Woodchip
Mar 28, 2010
What. This is actually happening.

Swamptown. 4x defense to invasions.

• Locked thread