Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

shackleford
Sep 4, 2006

projecthalaxy posted:

The twitter discourse that Buttigeig was a poc because Malta is in Africa

quote:

“You know, you look a lot like President Bartlet,” the young man said.

President Bartlet smiled, appreciating that he’d referred to him as “President Bartlet” instead of simply “Bartlet”, showing proper respect for the office.

“I get that a lot. Are you a fan of his?”

“Oh, of course! My first vote for President was for him. His speeches were awe-inspiring, and isn’t that what the Presidency is really all about?”

“What’s your name, young man?”

“Pete Buttigieg.”

“Ah you must be Maltese. ‘Buttigieg’ from the Arabic ‘Abu-d-dajāj’, meaning chicken owner or poulterer, literally ‘father of chickens’.”

“Exactly.”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shackleford
Sep 4, 2006

uber_stoat posted:

sup. why we didn't evolve a little switch you could flick to sleep, i just don't know. i blame God.

apparently we did, it takes a healthy person like 10 or 15 minutes to fall asleep? like they just lie down and close their eyes and wait a few minutes

when i first started researching whether i might be a lifelong chronic insomniac i came across this factoid and thought i must be understanding it wrong. like i figured normal humans probably sat around in bed for as little as perhaps an hour with their eyes closed before falling asleep

ambien is a terrible drug, these days half a tab of lemborexant on an empty stomach reliably knocks me out with none of the ambien side effects

anyway that colin powell quote really makes it sound like they were using it recreationally lmao

shackleford
Sep 4, 2006

the big dick toilet salesman attorney general

shackleford
Sep 4, 2006

Thank You, Jesus for Lord President Trump

shackleford
Sep 4, 2006

snopes credulously marking their fact check of taser balls guy "false" based on nothing more than his wife's denial and a brief NYT article that lacks any mention of the presence or absence of a taser

shackleford
Sep 4, 2006

أبو الدجاج Abu-d-dajāj(i)

shackleford
Sep 4, 2006

sam nunberg

shackleford
Sep 4, 2006

lmao wikipedia doing ken bone dirty

quote:

See also
• Ken Bone (activist)

(on the joe the plumber page)

shackleford
Sep 4, 2006

ikanreed posted:

Dick Cheney shooting a man in the face, who then apologized

the conspiracy theory that it was actually dick cheney's girlfriend who shot cheney's friend

shackleford
Sep 4, 2006

3D Megadoodoo posted:

You have to remember those were different times with different mores. Every dude was a loving disgusting pervert back then, is what I'm saying. I'm glad they're all dead and in hell.

they were a bunch of drunk perverts, too. routine disinfection of community drinking water didn't begin in the U.S. until 1908, and it's not a coincidence that the temperance movement peaked a few years later with prohibition. the only beverage that was safe to drink in the 19th century was alcoholic.

shackleford
Sep 4, 2006

the rock breaking news of the assassination of osama bin laden on twitter

shackleford
Sep 4, 2006

that time the U.S. tortured some folks and donald rumsfeld wrote on a memo, what's the problem i stand for 10 or 12 hours every day at my desk

shackleford
Sep 4, 2006

bill o'reilly paying $9 million to settle the falafel case

shackleford
Sep 4, 2006

shackleford
Sep 4, 2006

pierre delecto

carlos danger

shackleford
Sep 4, 2006

was that the party that sarah palin's ex-husband was a member of or was that a different bunch of nazis

shackleford
Sep 4, 2006

MikeCrotch posted:

Am I remembering it right that the farmer starts the turkey murderer up behind them and then stands around awkwardly as he realises they are filming

i'm remembering it as the farmer specifically pointing out to the film crew beforehand that the turkey slaughter would be in frame and the film crew confirming to the farmer that yes they intentionally want to see the turkeys being slaughtered on screen

shackleford
Sep 4, 2006

nikki haley renaming her husband

shackleford
Sep 4, 2006

Mywhatacleanturtle posted:

case in point: a competing contractor designed a plane that met all the specifications and would have actually worked, but it looked like a goofy l’il guy so they went with the plane that can’t fly in the rain instead.

lmao

shackleford
Sep 4, 2006

looks like $12/hour, $24,960/year

inflation calculator says $52K/year in 2023 dollars

shackleford
Sep 4, 2006

wait that episode aired in 1996 so it's about $49K/year in 2023 dollars

shackleford
Sep 4, 2006

george santos

shackleford
Sep 4, 2006

my hazy recollection from reading the book and watching the movie as a child 30 years ago is that the dinosaurs are the bad guys and the humans are the good guys, except for newman who is clearly also a bad guy

shackleford
Sep 4, 2006

harris leaving flowers at the vietnamese john mccain shootdown memorial

shackleford
Sep 4, 2006

is accepting soup returns from some lady's trunk just a thing that grocery stores would do back in the 1980's or something

shackleford
Sep 4, 2006

quote:

If it's possible to control your environment through your thoughts or steer your perceptions (or soul if you prefer) through other universes, I'll bet the secret to doing that is a process called "affirmations."

The process as it was described to me involved visualizing what you want and writing it down fifteen times in a row, once a day, until you obtain the thing you visualized.

The suggested form would be something like this:

"I, Scott Adams, will win a Pulitzer Prize."

shackleford
Sep 4, 2006

he worked for the phone company (pacific bell) until they fired him, he didn't work for a tech company

shackleford
Sep 4, 2006

"The governor of Alaska is kind of a milf"

shackleford
Sep 4, 2006

quote:

In 2013, Geoffrey Sant in Salon described it as the "Worst Joke in Legal History", claiming the title over seven other contenders including Don West's knock-knock joke during the trial of George Zimmerman.[33] Sant refers to the joke's deployment, in the high-profile context of Roe, as "spoiled icing on the collapsed cake",[34] and cites one law blogger who refers to it as the worst joke of all time outright.[35] Sant's characterization has since been repeated in a New York Times obituary of Weddington;[36] in The Independent,[37] SCOTUSblog,[38] The Washington Post,[39] and the blog of the National Constitution Center;[5] and by Becca Andrews in the book No Choice.[40] Janet S. Kole in the ABA Journal differs somewhat, holding that the worst legal joke is another of Sant's picks, a Supreme Court litigator who in Glickman v. Wileman Brothers & Elliott, Inc. told Justice Scalia "you don't want to give your wife diarrhea" by buying green plums.[41]

shackleford
Sep 4, 2006

good lord

quote:

The all-time champion of inappropriate courtroom humor appears to a former judge in Maryland, Bruce Lamdin, who behaved like a meaner version of Michael Scott, the boss from The Office. Lamdin was suspended thirty days without pay in 2008 for rude jokes, including telling motorists from Pennsylvania, “What’s the big rush to get back to Pennsylvania? It’s an ugly state.” When a landlord testified that her tenant’s child had called her a bitch, the judge retorted, “I’m sure that wasn’t the first time someone called you a bitch.” Responding to a mother with a crying baby, he declared: “If she only knew how much I hate kids, she would not have brought that kid in here today.” Riffing on his child-hatred theme, Lamdin then mused to his courtroom that “we [already] confiscate cell phones and we put the cell phones in plastic bags and send them down to Annapolis. I suggested maybe we ought to do the same with children except poke holes in the bag. . . . We ordered some plastic bags about five feet tall but they haven’t been – they haven’t come in yet.”

When a man with the last name Crook pled guilty to driving without a license and possessing drug paraphernalia, the judge demanded, “Why did you drive so poorly? Smoke a little weed before you got behind the wheel? . . . Smoke a little crack before you got behind the wheel? . . . Well, you’ve got the appropriate last name… All right crack head, Crook.” In a court hearing on prostitution, Lamdin performed an imitation of ghetto-talk. (The transcript reads much like when The Office’s Michael Scott got in trouble for reenacting a racially-charged Chris Rock routine.) “Who put up your bond money for you, your pimp? . . . If I were to release you, you’d be scratching that itch tonight. . . . Ma’am, you can’t bullshit a bullshitter.”

Although the Maryland Commission on Judicial Disabilities suspended Judge Lamdin for inappropriate language, one gets the sense that the Commission was especially offended by jokes directed at them. The opinion quotes Lamdin criticizing the Circuit Court, “I mean, they don’t work in the afternoon up there. . . . They’re all on their way to have cocktails or something up there at the Circuit Court. Yeah, they don’t work in the afternoon. Who are they kidding?”

The Commission also criticizes him for accusing prison guards of corruption and courts of indifference: “You may be able to get some crack down there. . . . Those guards there provide services for services. . . . They don’t care about prostitution in Baltimore City. They’ll move her into one of the diversion courts, spank her, and send her on her way. . . . They treat prostitution like spitting on the sidewalk. . . and you’re guaranteed to have it dismissed when you go up to the Circuit Court.” The Commission declared: “Criticism of judicial colleagues, particularly from the bench in the courtroom, hardly leads to trust and confidence by the public in the Judiciary.” Lamdin would later retire after audio emerged of him degrading a victim of domestic violence.

shackleford
Sep 4, 2006

that's her public opinion, so her private opinion has gotta be something like actually she has three opinions

shackleford
Sep 4, 2006

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

you can tell this story is fake because LBJ would have gotten into it rear end naked while making constant comments about the size of his dong to everyone he packed into the bathroom

yeah they weren't guests and he definitely wasn't clothed

quote:

Five replacement showers were installed to no avail. Even a special water tank was added with its own pump meant to boost the pressure, along with six nozzles located at different heights so that the spray hit every part of the president’s body. The pumps gushed hundreds of gallons of water per minute—more than a fire hose. It still wasn’t good enough.

One of the staff, a veteran of forty-one years, was ordered by the president to watch him test out the shower. “Are you ready for a real man’s test?” the naked president boasted. When the shower handle was turned on, Johnson yelped in pain because the pressure was so intense. But a minute later he was screaming in ecstasy as he was blasted against the wall, turning him beet red.

And yet all the effort still wasn’t to LBJ’s liking. Finally in the end, nothing more was done. To make amends, a sympathetic Mrs. Johnson lamented to the staff, “Anything that’s done here, or needs to be done, remember this, my husband comes first, the girls second, and I will be satisfied with what’s left. Your main role is to make the president happy.”

Daughter Luci then added: “A shower with volume and force was one of my father’s life’s comforts. It’s not much to ask, after all, when you are the leader of the free world; to get that small little bit of solace and creature comfort.”

shackleford
Sep 4, 2006

if i remember right they didn't have a permit to cut down all those trees and got fined several hundred dollars as a consequence

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shackleford
Sep 4, 2006

he was on a riding lawn mower and taken by surprise because he was wearing noise-canceling headphones