Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
My favorite meat is hot dog, by the way. That is my favorite meat. My second favorite meat is hamburger. And, everyone says, oh, don’t you prefer steak? It’s like, I know steaks are great, but I like hot dog best, and I like hamburger next best.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Doesn't care for actual dogs mind

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
Donald Trump beat Hillary Clinton in an election for president of the USA

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
feinstein telling a group of kids that she knows what she's doing because she has had the position for a long time therefore

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

moist turtleneck posted:

feinstein telling a group of kids that she knows what she's doing because she has had the position for a long time therefore

she also gave the kids the stock reply of "but how will we pay for it" and was seemingly personally insulted that she would be asked to do anything to improve the world

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Those were the jackbooted tots right

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

She's electable if you vote for her

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

ikanreed posted:

Donald Trump beat Hillary Clinton in an election for president of the USA
and she got more votes anyway which made him so mad additional millions were spent investigating voter fraud that only ever caught republicans trying to vote as their dead parents

was it the last... three republican presidents that didn't win the popular vote?

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Ruffian Price posted:

and she got more votes anyway which made him so mad additional millions were spent investigating voter fraud that only ever caught republicans trying to vote as their dead parents

was it the last... three republican presidents that didn't win the popular vote?

While looking this up (the last R to win popular majority was GWB in 2004 but that's reelection its different) i found that Clinton won 1992 with only 44% of the popular vote which is weird

E: oh, that was H. Ross Perot winning 17% of the popular and 0% of the electoral which is itself kinda wacky!

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

projecthalaxy posted:

While looking this up (the last R to win popular majority was GWB in 2004 but that's reelection its different) i found that Clinton won 1992 with only 44% of the popular vote which is weird

E: oh, that was H. Ross Perot winning 17% of the popular and 0% of the electoral which is itself kinda wacky!
turns out third party candidates, even when they're self-funding billionaires, cannot ever win a single state's electoral votes without a full apocalypse level political event because lol winning one vote out of every six in America gets you exactly jack and poo poo

e: would have said "single electoral vote" but lmao you know what this list is hilarious let me put it here

https://www.archives.gov/electoral-college/2016 posted:

*Hawaii does not appoint its electors proportionally. Due to faithless voting, the electoral votes for Hawaii were: for President, Clinton 3 and Bernie Sanders 1; for Vice President, Kaine 3 and Elizabeth Warren 1.
***Texas does not appoint its electors proportionally. Due to faithless voting, the electoral votes for Texas were: for President, Trump 36, Ron Paul 1, and John Kasich 1; for Vice President, Pence 37 and Carly Fiorina 1.
****Washington does not appoint its electors proportionally. Due to faithless voting, the electoral votes for Washington were: for President, Clinton 8, Colin Powell 3, and Faith Spotted Eagle 1; for Vice President, Kaine 8, Elizabeth Warren 1, Susan Collins 1, Maria Cantwell 1, and Winona LaDuke 1.
Shoutouts to Faith Spotted Eagle and the loving Hawaii elector that voted Bernie/Warren lmao

DACK FAYDEN has issued a correction as of 17:17 on Jan 1, 2024

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Maxine Waters brutal assault on Michael Tracey

One More Fat Nerd
Apr 13, 2007

Mama’s Lil’ Louie

Nap Ghost

Ruffian Price posted:

A non-incumbent R hasn't won the popular vote since 88.

I have heard folks who read the polling tea-leaves say that could possibly change in the nearish future, by running up the score in FL and losing by less in deep blue states, but I doubt it.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Orange Devil posted:

The libs have never been ok.

Clowner
Dec 13, 2006

Further in

bedpan posted:

she also gave the kids the stock reply of "but how will we pay for it" and was seemingly personally insulted that she would be asked to do anything to improve the world

Dems get elected to just explain to us why we can't have nice things

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

i don't recall if this was brought up when the thread was renamed, but i just remembered that time pete went on vacation to somaliland and then wrote a NYT op-ed about our foreign policy there and how we need to support the place and its people. if they're taking pitches from midwest dipshits with zero ties to the CIA, i have some thoughts and would love to work with you, The New York Times. pm's are open

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

My favorite meat is hot dog, by the way. That is my favorite meat. My second favorite meat is hamburger. And, everyone says, oh, don’t you prefer steak? It’s like, I know steaks are great, but I like hot dog best, and I like hamburger next best.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

A politics thing I learned: in 1886, Grover Cleveland became the first and so far only President to get married while actively President. Some "fun facts" about his bride, Frances Folsom

1. 25 years his junior, 47-22
2. Daughter of his (late) lifelong friend and business partner, basically his niece by both their reckoning
3. He was her guardian up until the second he was her husband, when he was also the President of the United States.

Relationship dynamics that make you go hmmm

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

projecthalaxy posted:

A politics thing I learned: in 1886, Grover Cleveland became the first and so far only President to get married while actively President. Some "fun facts" about his bride, Frances Folsom

2. Daughter of his (late) lifelong friend and business partner, basically his niece by both their reckoning
3. He was her guardian up until the second he was her husband, when he was also the President of the United States.

You have to remember those were different times with different mores. Every dude was a loving disgusting pervert back then, is what I'm saying. I'm glad they're all dead and in hell.

fermun
Nov 4, 2009

projecthalaxy posted:

Stalin started dating his second wife when he was 40 and she was 16 then married her about 8 months later when she was 17, just before his 41st birthday

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

3D Megadoodoo posted:

You have to remember those were different times with different mores. Every dude was a loving disgusting pervert back then, is what I'm saying. I'm glad they're all dead and in hell.

They're not all dead yet, unfortunately.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
Groomer Paed’man

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 22 hours!
NZ holding out on Covid zero then opening up and Jacinda Ardern resigning because of long covid

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

fermun posted:

Stalin started dating his second wife when he was 40 and she was 16 then married her about 8 months later when she was 17, just before his 41st birthday

Yeah but Stalin did nothing wrong.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
e: remembering the time I posted in the wrong thread lol

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006
Jean Chrétien confusing the word drugs with trucks and saying they need lots more drugs in the country while standing next to Bill Clinton during a press conference.

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

fermun posted:

would have been more socially acceptable with a 5 year plan

shackleford
Sep 4, 2006

3D Megadoodoo posted:

they were a bunch of drunk perverts, too. routine disinfection of community drinking water didn't begin in the U.S. until 1908, and it's not a coincidence that the temperance movement peaked a few years later with prohibition. the only beverage that was safe to drink in the 19th century was alcoholic.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 22 hours!

shackleford posted:

they were a bunch of drunk perverts, too. routine disinfection of community drinking water didn't begin in the U.S. until 1908, and it's not a coincidence that the temperance movement peaked a few years later with prohibition. the only beverage that was safe to drink in the 19th century was alcoholic.
muslims did exist you know ...

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

shackleford posted:

its really not exclusive to that era though.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

mawarannahr posted:

muslims did exist you know ...

If they weren't operating water treatment plants at scale, they probably weren't affecting the water quality.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Animal Friend posted:

would have been more socially acceptable with a 5 year plan
my farm-dwelling aunt asked me if my wife and I "had a five year plan" last Christmas

I was instantly like "yeah, gonna be a real great leap forward. next step is getting new pots and pans for the kitchen" which like sure, second half a bit esoteric joke but hey I post in cspam I went there

turns out that she meant "are you going to gently caress and produce children" not "do you have a Great Leap Forward reference for me"

did not realize this until after the party when I told the first half of this story to my in-laws and they started laughing at how stupid I was

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe

shackleford posted:

This always annoys me, people were not getting drunk because the water quality was bad. They were getting drunk because it was the only safe and legal thrill available until car batteries were invented and you could throw them in the ocean.

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

projecthalaxy posted:

Fun Grover Cleveland fact, he won the popular vote in all 3 of his elections, but only went 2-1 in the electoral. Trump is probably going to invert that in 2024.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Zerg Mans posted:

Fun Grover Cleveland fact, he won the popular vote in all 3 of his elections, but only went 2-1 in the electoral. Trump is probably going to invert that in 2024.
this actually is a fun fact, I had no idea he won the popular vote in the one he lost, thank you for posting it because now I know it before everyone starts Clevelandposting in the runup to november 2024

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Zerg Mans posted:

Bold prediction that Trump won't win the popular vote.

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

Orange Devil posted:

got a bunch of maga weirdos in at secretary of state in some places. wyoming will report 1.6 million votes for trump despite having 600k residents and trump will win red states by 100s of millions of votes to make him feel better

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Orange Devil posted:

I mean Joe Biden sucks (lol grammar check wanted to change this to "sucked"), but I don't think that means conventional party politics are dead.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

one of the funniest photos of all time imo

Dokapon Findom
Dec 5, 2022

They hated Futanari because His posts were shit.

Eat This Glob posted:

got a bunch of maga weirdos in at secretary of state in some places. wyoming will report 1.6 million votes for trump despite having 600k residents and trump will win red states by 100s of millions of votes to make him feel better

Haha wow what a funny thing you remembered :getout:

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

one of the funniest photos of all time imo

I want what they're eating!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Falukorv
Jun 23, 2013

A funny little mouse!
and besides for non-spirits like beer (that often could be quite weak in the "dirty water" times) the boiling is prob a bigger reason for making it safer, 2-5% alcohol wont sterilize anything.