Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Mr. Lobe posted:

I'm so glad Chelsea Clinton was a nonstarter as a political figure

I like when she said this while married to a hedge fund owner and pulling down a 7 figure salary from NBC

quote:

“I’ve tried really hard to care about things that were very different from my parents. I was curious if I could care about [money] on some fundamental level, and I couldn’t,”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

RandolphCarter posted:

prince phillip told british students in China “if you stay here much longer you’ll all be slitty eyed.”

obituary writer opening the "journalist's thesaurus" to racist, dragging her finger along the page and resting on prone to gaffes

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

colostomy bag with a big dick

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

Klobuchar telling her joke about Trump's hair IN A BLIZZARD

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

everything about government arms procurement is stupid
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.276_Pedersen

"the great war is over. here's an intermediate cartridge we invented for infantry rifles. it weighs 30-40% less than the .30-06, has lower recoil for accurate, sustained fire, and performs well at the sub-500 yard ranges that we found combat actually happens at with virtually no tradeoffs. there are several designs for really nice autoloading rifles that fire it from 10 round clips and weigh less than the bolt action '03 it is replacing"

macarthur: "cool gun, but we are sitting on a pile of surplus .30-06 ammunition so make that gun shoot the old heavy kind of ammo from a new heavy rifle"

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

Milo and POTUS posted:

He really was a dumb motherfucker who kept failing upward at every opportunity. An American success story, really

Yep.

He makes the nepotism appointment Civil War officers look like Hannibal by contrast

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

rolling stone made a list of 50 dumb politics things from the last 50 dumb years
https://www.rollingstone.com/politics/politics-lists/worst-decisions-american-politics-1974-2024-1234940313/

just like every list they make, it was designed to make me mad about the relative rankings and the omissions

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

Dokapon Findom posted:

For a country so concerned about being on lists and "what if (foreign dictatorship) happens here" it surprises me that so many people register with any party

Closed primaries ☹️

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

Milo and POTUS posted:

Pat Tillman quits the NFL but ends up receiving an even more traumatic brain injury

"This war is so loving illegal" - Pat Tillman

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

Spergin Morlock posted:

the UK having to withdraw a warship from the red sea after 3 drone attacks because they were out of ammo

Fat Tony to the admiral: "You idiot, I told you we should have brought more than three bullets"

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

mawarannahr posted:

it's been a while but I don't think hammond was really portrayed in a positive light, this was clear as a child...

He was portrayed as reckless because he was a naive dreamer. His bad decisions stemmed from being overly optimistic that technology could solve any problem.

That's a much more sympathetic angle to audiences compared to a skinflint capitalist.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

Milo and POTUS posted:

They say it because it's a better movie than a hack novel.

Crichton is dead so it is now safe to criticize him without fear of him writing a pedophile character named after you into a book.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

the milk machine posted:

she would have nuked gaza by now

sending combs instead of forks in the humanitarian aid food packages

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

the army from costa rica, a country that famously has no army. nice research there, crichton!!!

he also consulted with a dinosaur expert and told him he wanted to make velociraptors the boogeyman of his book. said expert told that they were too small, and that the monster he was looking for was deinonychus. he agreed and wrote in deinonychus but called them velociraptors anyway because the name was cooler. the discovery of utahraptor fossils in between the book and film release was a very lucky bit of timing.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

Mister Bates posted:

a group of about 10 Nazis (one of them an actual German Nazi, the rest a mix of Americans and Canadians) attempted to pull off a Bay of Pigs style invasion of the tiny island nation of Dominica in 1981, intending to install a puppet government, institute racial apartheid, and ally themselves with South Africa.

they rented a boat to sail to Dominica, but instead of just telling the owner that they were renting it to go on a fishing excursion or something, they told the owner they needed the boat for a top secret CIA operation. he called the cops immediately, resulting in them getting arrested by local cops at the dock with crates full of weapons, ammunition, explosives, and a swastika flag. upon arresting them, the local police discovered that there were also not one, not two, but three undercover ATF agents on the boat.

one of the plotters promptly committed suicide to avoid prison, although the rest received such lenient sentences that he's probably regretting this in the afterlife. one of the men would leave neo-Nazi politics to get into the slightly less shady world of professional soccer management before eventually being permanently barred from the sport by FIFA for cheating, while another became a drug dealer and got shot dead by a customer during an argument in 2005. most notably, one of them, Don Black, later founded a neo-Nazi website you've probably heard of, Stormfront.

had they made it to Dominica their plan was - taking it as a given that a dozen armed civilians could conquer an island with a population of tens of thousands - to then call for white volunteers from foreign countries, raise an army, and use Dominica as a staging ground for an invasion of Barbados

only slightly less poorly planned than the Nazi plan to invade England

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

the BETO cramping calves tweet

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

also lmao the same COLD STEEL GLADIUS "machete" that guy is talking about is pictured hanging from the belt of the Canadian incel dude who tried to shoot up a court and got murked by the first security guard he encountered.

the doughy one with glasses and a balaclava you know the picture

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

HashtagGirlboss posted:

Whatever happened to bannon anyway. I remember they were trying to lock him up for a minute but since it all kind of quietly went away I assume they were unsuccessful

I thought it turned out that Steve Bannon was just Rosie O'Donnell doing a bit?

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Adams is the kind of person who probably made it through high school pretty easily and made "being the smart guy" his core personality trait.

Then he spend the next four decades never once have to challenge himself to be better. Never found the edge of what he was capable of and came to the humbling realisation that where he wanted to be was on the other side of that barrier and it was going to be an Herculean effort to reach it. If ever.

So now he's just a smug prick so far up his own arse he's never coming out.

Didn't he work for HP or something? He got used to being the smartest person in the room and then worked at a giant tech company where everyone else was also used to being the smartest person in the room and refused any kind of introspection and decided to write comics about how I'm the only one who really gets it and I'm still the smartest.

I've met that same guy several times in different jobs who believes they're the only ones who does any real work around here and it turns out they're just insufferable narcissists who everyone avoids.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

RBC posted:

What was her password. I remember it being stupid as poo poo

The Dutch guy that guessed Trump's Twitter password in October 2020 and got into his account because he didn't have two factor authentication enabled.

Password was "maga2020!"

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

An anagram of "grow a penis"

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

should have said "what? no." instead of "yes, and"

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

ALFbrot posted:

Jemele Hill AND Jemele Hill??

If you've seen one, you've seen Jemele

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

got you some daisy cutters!

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

Mister Bates posted:

Lyndon Johnson had the temperature of the White House water heater cranked up to dangerous levels and then had them turn the water pressure in the showers as high as it could possibly go

he apparently once demonstrated said firehose-shower to guests by climbing into it fully-clothed and turning it on and getting full-on blasted by it

he was just preparing for what he expected the afterlife to be

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

Mister Bates posted:

Bolivia still maintains a Navy even though it’s been landlocked for over 100 years

Yeah and the border negotiations ceased once Peru and Chile found out the land they're now sitting on is the best place on the planet to mine copper

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

Mister Bates posted:

the operation was planned in the private room at a Buffalo Wild Wings

The Buffalo Wild Bunch

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

moist turtleneck posted:

trump telling his press secretary Sarah Huckabee to take one for the team if Kim wanted her

I imagine she gave him the side-eye for that suggestion

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

Mnuchin goes the the mint with his wife looking like comic book villains

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

bedpan posted:

donald trump is the most american american to ever amercian. If only one american could survive into the future to instruct later generations on what it meant to be an american, that american would be donald trump.

people of the land. the common clay of the new west