Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fanged Lawn Wormy
Jan 4, 2008

SQUEAK! SQUEAK! SQUEAK!
we have two systems at work, one is used for estimating, project management, and purchasing. i hate it, it was clearly written in the late 90s and they've just tacked features on ever since. the two programs in the system are inconsistent in their UI, and both have bad database handling that can create unresoveable problems. (Ie: total items of a purchase order are set to 0, but the sub-list breakout by job has 1, now there is no way to 'receive' that item)

the second system i've never used, it is for accounting, and I suspect it is equally as bad.

information for one cannot be sent directly to the other, so purchasing and accounting are always reconciling information between the two.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turnquiet
Oct 24, 2002

My friend is an eloquent speaker.

in 2014, the neglected siteminder system that saw no increase in staff or budget to support failed catastrophically when the sunone directories for its user stores finally hit the magical "too much" threshold. our giant enterprise ground to a halt and nobody could log into anything during peak business hours for two weeks in a row, and we would spend day and night tinkering with file descriptors and other stupid poo poo on ancient sun boxes to try to get us through the day. like most failures, we had been asking for budget to replace and modernize this mission-critical system for years

finally a vp played golf with a ca rep, and decided we would replace everything, all of it, with nothing but ca software. directories, policy servers, new agents on 100k+ webservers, etc. we spent 12mm for the license, extended support, and a recurring 270k/mo for about 6 ca contractors to manually review each application and "optimize" the access policy. each app used its own domain, so sharing policy objects wouldn't work.

this was all placed under me and my staff. for 2 years we flushed money down the drain at an amazing rate, until we finally called the project done.

we still have the original legacy environment operating, the new siteminder environment, our federation service environment, etc. nobody is capable of shutting down or migrating the last apps that use the old stuff.

and now we are looking to spend tens of millions to launch another migration into azure ad to replace the expensive siteminder environment. and thus my work starts anew.

they didn't want to give annual adjustments this year as part of belt tightening.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Satellit3
Oct 21, 2008

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

We changed from people soft to sap and it's more horrible surprisingly

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Displeased Moo Cow posted:

We changed from people soft to sap and it's more horrible surprisingly

https://blogs.sap.com/2015/12/22/sap-digital-farming/

looks horrible mate

Pendragon
Jun 18, 2003

HE'S WATCHING YOU

Maximum Leader posted:

coworker was at a project at his old company where they spent ~100000000 USD implementing SAP for a small regional office in the middle of nowhere. the plan was global rollout but the entire implementation had to be scrapped and started again from scratch because parts of it were of such low quality.

did the sales person promise the moon and then the implementation team said, "well actually....."?

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Turnquiet posted:

in 2014, the neglected siteminder system that saw no increase in staff or budget to support failed catastrophically when the sunone directories for its user stores finally hit the magical "too much" threshold. our giant enterprise ground to a halt and nobody could log into anything during peak business hours for two weeks in a row, and we would spend day and night tinkering with file descriptors and other stupid poo poo on ancient sun boxes to try to get us through the day. like most failures, we had been asking for budget to replace and modernize this mission-critical system for years

finally a vp played golf with a ca rep, and decided we would replace everything, all of it, with nothing but ca software. directories, policy servers, new agents on 100k+ webservers, etc. we spent 12mm for the license, extended support, and a recurring 270k/mo for about 6 ca contractors to manually review each application and "optimize" the access policy. each app used its own domain, so sharing policy objects wouldn't work.

this was all placed under me and my staff. for 2 years we flushed money down the drain at an amazing rate, until we finally called the project done.

we still have the original legacy environment operating, the new siteminder environment, our federation service environment, etc. nobody is capable of shutting down or migrating the last apps that use the old stuff.

and now we are looking to spend tens of millions to launch another migration into azure ad to replace the expensive siteminder environment. and thus my work starts anew.

they didn't want to give annual adjustments this year as part of belt tightening.

this sounds like a mental breakdown recipe

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

god tier av imo

pram
Jun 10, 2001
agreed

Tatsujin
Apr 26, 2004

:golgo:
EVERYONE EXCEPT THE HOT WOMEN
:golgo:
great av would quote again

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER
Efficiency work is one of the few occasionally quantifiable pieces of work in tech.

Sometimes you can be like "Yep, I did this thing and we now use x% less cloud compute time for the same results, and that's worth y dollars."

Sometimes.

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

people pay SAP money for this sort of poo poo for some reason

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
My entire job revolves around lazy people throwing away perfectly good things, which we wipe the dust off and sell to other people

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
It was pure profit until very recently; ECS was buying our mixed e-waste so we didn't even have to pay for getting rid of a dozen 800-lb gaylords (mods??) per week. That bit stopped a few weeks ago when some other Bay Area e-waste recycler sent them a gaylord with a gas lawnmower full of gasoline mixed in with the scrap, which exploded in their compactor, and now ECS no longer buys e-waste so we have to pay other companies to take the mixed stuff

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

the organisation paid a local software company heaps of real kiwi bucks to develop a bespoke software program and then when the bosses stated that it wasn't really what they were wanting and suggested changes the software company liquidated

lol @ lost kiwi bucks.

Moo Cowabunga fucked around with this message at 09:33 on Aug 14, 2017

Maximum Leader
Dec 5, 2014

Pendragon posted:

did the sales person promise the moon and then the implementation team said, "well actually....."?

im pretty sure they just hosed up part of the implementation somehow

SpaceAceJase
Nov 8, 2008

and you
have proved
to be...

a real shitty poster,
and a real james

Displeased Moo Cow posted:

the organisation paid a local software company heaps of real kiwi bucks to develop a bespoke software program and then when the bosses stated that it wasn't really what they were wanting and suggested changes the software company liquidated

lol @ lost kiwi bucks.

how many bucks?

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

netburst architecture.

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

atomicthumbs posted:

My entire job revolves around lazy people throwing away perfectly good things, which we wipe the dust off and sell to other people

this is my hobby. I pick up oldputer crap for cheap/trade and resell it for a profit. I have fun doing my idiot sperging and legitimately run a 500 dollar or so profit per year. Nothing to write home about, but it's nice.
this one 50 dollar haul has net me 750 so far

Mr SuperAwesome
Apr 6, 2011

im from the bad post police, and i'm afraid i have bad news

Pendragon posted:

at my company this happens a lot and then it turns out that somehow we wrote "implement X dumb poo poo in Y days for Z dollars" into the contract (and the for Z dollars is if we are lucky) and we have to deathmarch until its done (whilst stopping real work) and end up spending 5 * Z dollars to get it done

and in the end only 1 client ever uses that feature because we scoped it in a stupid way that does exactly what they said, not what is useful

fortunately we mostly stopped that about a year ago

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

telling a sales person "we'd totally use your product if only it had feature x" is an excellent way to get a vendor system that does feature x in the worst possible way

vendors should have a public roadmap and they need to get their sales people to loving pay attention to it

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill
single page web apps that use elasticsearch as a database, op

I loving love watching my computer stop responding while the browser struggles to render a table with possibly as many as a thousand rows (we have much more but the only way the ui "engineers" can think of to stop it actually setting fire to the computer is to impose an arbitrary cap. no paging or anything, that would be too hard)

Mr SuperAwesome
Apr 6, 2011

im from the bad post police, and i'm afraid i have bad news

qirex posted:

telling a sales person "we'd totally use your product if only it had feature x" is an excellent way to get a vendor system that does feature x in the worst possible way

vendors should have a public roadmap and they need to get their sales people to loving pay attention to it

this x lots

All Too Much For Me
Aug 14, 2008

Turnquiet posted:

siteminder
policy servers
siteminder

I hate siteminder so much.

I once found a bug in redacted, I don't care for $VENDOR to identify my SA account where you could redefine the null string.
They kept telling me that version was out of support until I showed them it on a screencast.
Then they stopped talking for a long time.

Satellit3
Oct 21, 2008

qirex posted:

feeling pain from this truth lately

Satellit3
Oct 21, 2008

a coworker once unethically (illegally) took some binaries home to compare new / old source code after our main vendor provided a patch for feature which 'should have' been 'working' over a year ago (see qirex post.) this patch was to fix just a part of the extremely broken feature - but as my cowoker suspected the logic in question was totally unchanged. in fact it was identical other than two variables being renamed. the patch fixed some other unrelated things but the centerpoint was just a big lie of release notes

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
is this a redistribution of wealth

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

atomicthumbs posted:

It was pure profit until very recently; ECS was buying our mixed e-waste so we didn't even have to pay for getting rid of a dozen 800-lb gaylords (mods??) per week. That bit stopped a few weeks ago when some other Bay Area e-waste recycler sent them a gaylord with a gas lawnmower full of gasoline mixed in with the scrap, which exploded in their compactor, and now ECS no longer buys e-waste so we have to pay other companies to take the mixed stuff

Rofl

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

sometimes i help out by converting and editing webex recordings. i'll occasionally get links that allow me to stream a presentation but not download it. rather than go back to the presenter and have them enable downloads in webex it's easier to just use a totally professional tool to rebuild the .arf from the streaming cache.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

duTrieux. posted:

sometimes i help out by converting and editing webex recordings. i'll occasionally get links that allow me to stream a presentation but not download it. rather than go back to the presenter and have them enable downloads in webex it's easier to just use a totally professional tool to rebuild the .arf from the streaming cache.

that tool definitely sends a copy of the webex recording to russia

Fanged Lawn Wormy
Jan 4, 2008

SQUEAK! SQUEAK! SQUEAK!
lom.arf

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

atomicthumbs posted:

YOSPOS: a dozen 800-lb gaylords

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

We're pretty efficient but a bunch of our business partners definitely have people manually uploading .csv's every week. Also one vendor sends what should be equivalent data through two different sources buy sometimes they're different so we have automated checks and email them every time they gently caress up (I'm tempted to automate the email too...) It would take like one 30 line sql query for them to check it themselves but that seems to be asking too much.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

we spent six figures on a dynamics crm implementation where the developers were in a different timezone to us, and there was nobody managing the project from our side. the scope grew until the thing was a ridiculous beast that was meant to also handle erp duties because sales didn't want to talk to pre-sales to make sure nothing was missed off quotes, but didn't want to learn what to put on quotes themselves, and keeping track of <100 items of stock was too hard. they also paid for dynamics 365 licenses for ~50 people for two years even though there were only about six test users.

then the project got shitcanned after 18 months and sales track leads on a spreadsheet now because it would make them look terrible if they were advertising to the rest of the business how poo poo a job they were doing at picking up leads and converting them.

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

we have a budget line item that gets more expensive each year for typewriter servicing

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

El Mero Mero posted:

we have a budget line item that gets more expensive each year for typewriter servicing

lol

N.Z.'s Champion
Jun 8, 2003

Yam Slacker
horrendous inefficiencies: manual linting in general

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
I have to deal with issues with many machines, except when it errors out it spits out a paper error printout and leaves no error on the logs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

El Mero Mero posted:

do you work in a three letter agency/embassy

• Locked thread