Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

ultravoices posted:

i still have an FTP to schlep files around because half my coworkers are too stupid to understand dropbox.

not even sftp? just plain ol ftp?

nice

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004
edit: double post

maskenfreiheit fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Sep 5, 2017

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

blowfish posted:

do you work in a three letter agency/embassy

how did u know

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?

maskenfreiheit posted:

nice

At a previous gig we used raw FTP to transfer CAD data to/from our outsourced team in India. The username and password were both <company name><year the FTP was set up>.

Because of the industry we were in I had to fill in a form listing everything I was sending to certify that none of the data was subject to export restrictions, so everyone who intercepted it even had a nice index to check against and make sure they got everything. :laugh:

ultravoices
May 10, 2004

You are about to embark on a great journey. Are you ready, my friend?

maskenfreiheit posted:

it was wicked CUTTING EDGE in 1999 or whenever that server was set up.

my coworkers are so helpless that we have to keep using the ftp because even if you explain things in small words several different ways where to put the file so that it will talk to the program from 1989 that they use they can't do it and have to use the batch file that was written for this purpose in 1999 to make it possible for them.

some of them can't even type like normal human beings because they learned on something from this era http://www.vcalc.net/Keyboard.htm

and vigorously refuse to learn how to do anything else.

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax
Idk if this counts but they make people at my job do time tracking on jira. There is no billing associated with this, and we're all salaried employees, so it's just pointless micromanagement, and it turns the jira from a useful project management tool into a web of lies to avoid looking bad in reports.

When they asked me to do this, the conversation went:
Me: Are you going to fire me if I don't do this?
Jira lady: Well, no, but...
Me: Then I'm not doing it

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

JewKiller 3000 posted:

Idk if this counts but they make people at my job do time tracking on jira. There is no billing associated with this, and we're all salaried employees, so it's just pointless micromanagement, and it turns the jira from a useful project management tool into a web of lies to avoid looking bad in reports.

When they asked me to do this, the conversation went:
Me: Are you going to fire me if I don't do this?
Jira lady: Well, no, but...
Me: Then I'm not doing it

well if you're ok with doing the "minimum"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KJtrLKGZZFg

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

JewKiller 3000 posted:

my place used to do this except with an unbelievably lovely oracle thing that didn't understand minutes so you had to convert everything to decimal hours. it used to take a good half hour a week filling everything in.*

eventually management realised literally nobody was reading any of the reports so they scrapped the whole thing quietly

* if you were a scrub who hadn't figured out to hook it up to a random number generator

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

never, like, count out Touchdown Tom, man
everything to do with hardware startups. my current company has an fpy of like 60-70% lmao. also everything to do with supplier quality and doubly so when manufacturing abroad

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
oldjob had an ERP that supported two output format: that printer and that other printer

the printers needed to have hardcoded names not exceeding eight characters

one department had to manually re-enter 200 pages of printouts into excel files daily. in the 2010's

when they transitioned to a new ERP, an analyst dumped an inch thick pile of reports on my desk asking me to recreate them in the new system. I never did. when I left that place two years later no one ever had

that analyst had been spending two weeks a month preparing reports that no one looked at, and we found this out because no one asked for them for two years

pram
Jun 10, 2001
kafkaesque

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
i want a job where instead of people's lives in the line, nothing at all is one the line whatsoever and i still get paid and hopefully laid

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax

echinopsis posted:

i want a job where instead of people's lives in the line, nothing at all is one the line whatsoever and i still get paid and hopefully laid

google is always hiring. can't help you with the sex part tho

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

El Mero Mero posted:

how did u know

it's funny we're currently reintroducing typewriters for the german government/spies because russian hackers are all over every 15 year old computer system operated by idiots

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
Every day business essential people download excel files from Web portals, edit them and save them as csvs, those csvs are uploaded into a Google sheet, then downloaded by tech and imported into the database and some queries copy/pasted and edited by hand to insert the data in other systems.

We've been "about to" go with a vendored solution for at least 6 mo now.

It takes about half an hour of dev time per day and at least an hour of businesser time, and I was expressly forbidden from spending a few hours automating it due to the totally impending 3rd party solution

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
We had to get one of our devops people to spend a day on the phone with a 3rd party talking them through installing an sftp server on one of their windows computers

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

this is a good thread i like it

* getting server space takes a minimum of 2 weeks. you can be crashing and burning production systems due to lack of db space and you'll get the same "please explain why you cannot just delete data to free space" queries and 8 levels of approvals for $50. at the same time, one group was storing like 2Tb in a single SQL Server table for "audit purposes" but admitted that they had no way of querying it and didn't know what those purposes were.

* in ~10 years i have never seen a single "enterprise" "platform" get decommissioned, new ones get bought and the old ones left running and costing money. example: currently there are 3 simultaneously "supported" chat clients

* many, many, many teams that exist solely to take file A and compare it to file B because even though system A and system B are connected, they want to manually reconcile them because either a) durr that's what we've always done b) "oh but we need to change the data in B manually, what do you mean that will create reconciliation breaks?" c) it is keeping them all employed

the best was when they were literally comparing a file to a renamed version of itself. this was going on for years, they were like "it's a good process, there are no breaks"

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

FrozenVent posted:

oldjob had an ERP that supported two output format: that printer and that other printer

one department had to manually re-enter 200 pages of printouts into excel files daily. in the 2010's

when they transitioned to a new ERP, an analyst dumped an inch thick pile of reports on my desk asking me to recreate them in the new system. I never did. when I left that place two years later no one ever had

that analyst had been spending two weeks a month preparing reports that no one looked at, and we found this out because no one asked for them for two years

holy gently caress lmao

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

FrozenVent posted:

i missed this lmao

i told a team the other week that "nobody is reading the reports you spend 4 days a month generating". reports are the worst.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

my old job made us enter/print our timesheet in to a excel doc that we all had to individual create for ourselves so the formatting wasn't consistent and then there was an entire data entry department who manually typed the numbers in to whatever lovely payroll software they had because the internal devs couldn't quite crack that difficult nut

that same place spent over 10 years attempting to make their java oracle middleware activex-only ERP software work on any kind of mobile platform and failed miserably multiple times

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

oh yeah printing poo poo, the erp had to have any printers directly mapped to the ERP server because print jobs could not come from the client that was generating them, they had to PS jobs directly from the application server to whatever firewall so some users had to open their firewall for our server on 9100 or whatever the gently caress to get a printout

ConanTheLibrarian
Aug 13, 2004

dis buch is late
Fallen Rib
yeah well our internet-accessible erp uses http for the home page. you know, the one you log in on

every year the graduates figure out that they can manipulate the tests in the training section by fiddling with the urls

naturally all expenses are handled by emailing a spreadsheet and posting off receipts instead of using any of the photograph your receipt style apps

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

oh yeah printing poo poo, the erp had to have any printers directly mapped to the ERP server because print jobs could not come from the client that was generating them, they had to PS jobs directly from the application server to whatever firewall so some users had to open their firewall for our server on 9100 or whatever the gently caress to get a printout

yuuuuuuuup

also if you do manage to somehow get it to save to a file the formatting is all done with spaces and carriage returns

even in a csv

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

my old job made us enter/print our timesheet in to a excel doc that we all had to individual create for ourselves so the formatting wasn't consistent and then there was an entire data entry department who manually typed the numbers in to whatever lovely payroll software they had because the internal devs couldn't quite crack that difficult nut

lmao i can feel this one

ultravoices
May 10, 2004

fart simpson posted:

lmao i can feel this one

marge and sam and eustice and rose all have jobs because they get to tap away in these timesheets, which i assure you are printed out for the entry.

maybe the internal devs knew about this so automating marge and sam and eustice and rose out of a job was a low priority.

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

I have 54 different goals that I have the option to put an activity under when I report my activities and there are about 48 different time codes for reporting my time. There's also a third performance Management system where I'm supposed to upload random documents into of my own formatting and creation for reporting to a manager. None of these three are integrated of course so different things are reported to all three.

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax

ultravoices posted:

marge and sam and eustice and rose all have jobs because they get to tap away in these timesheets, which i assure you are printed out for the entry.

maybe the internal devs knew about this so automating marge and sam and eustice and rose out of a job was a low priority.

i'll automate their entire division if you just redirect 20% of their salaries to me :getin:

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

JewKiller 3000 posted:

i'll automate their entire division if you just redirect 20% of their salaries to me :getin:

ultravoices
May 10, 2004

JewKiller 3000 posted:

maybe you'll get an olive garden gift card out of it.

maybe.

ultravoices
May 10, 2004

only comes in xs and 3xl for that true to life year 2000-slashdot-commenter-thinks-that-i'm-the-bofh look.

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

ultravoices posted:

maybe you'll get an olive garden gift card out of it.

maybe.

make it outback steakhaus :yum:

ultravoices
May 10, 2004

kloa posted:

make it outback steakhaus :yum:

the bloomin' food poisoning.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

small shell scripts are killing the horrendous industry. we left this script blank so you can help

OWLS!
Sep 17, 2009

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I once worked with an infrastructure deployment system that used .xlsx spreadsheets as its primary input.

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

OWLS! posted:

I once worked with an infrastructure deployment system that used .xlsx spreadsheets as its primary input.

so the finance team runs the deployments?

OWLS!
Sep 17, 2009

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

kloa posted:

so the finance team runs the deployments?

I wish, they'd be more efficient.

cheque_some
Dec 6, 2006
The Wizard of Menlo Park

Soricidus posted:

my place used to do this except with an unbelievably lovely oracle thing that didn't understand minutes so you had to convert everything to decimal hours. it used to take a good half hour a week filling everything in.*

eventually management realised literally nobody was reading any of the reports so they scrapped the whole thing quietly

* if you were a scrub who hadn't figured out to hook it up to a random number generator

I once had an internship at a place where you had to badge in at a timeclock, then fill out some cognos timesheet with your hours entered as decimals, and it would kick it back if your hours didn't match exactly with times from the timeclock.

:shrug:

The XKCD Larper
Mar 1, 2009

by Lowtax
Client trusted Godaddy to set up their Wordpress site

pram
Jun 10, 2001

ultravoices posted:

only comes in xs and 3xl for that true to life year 2000-slashdot-commenter-thinks-that-i'm-the-bofh look.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

The XKCD Larper posted:

Client trusted Godaddy to set up their Wordpress site
That is a poo poo sandwich where the bread is also poo poo and all they had was Miracle Whip.

• Locked thread