Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pixelante
Mar 16, 2006

You people will by God act like a team, or at least like people who know each other, or I'll incinerate the bunch of you here and now.
Are you a goon who uses fountain pens?

If no, why not? They’re classy, fun to write with, and totally not a nightmarishly expensive trip into an abyss of brand rivalry, ink spills, and fishing $100 nibs out of your drain trap. We can help you pick a starter gateway pen, and you can join the Secret Santa ink-sample migration in December. (100% deadbeat free in 2016!)

If you already know what a Noodler is, do you like mail? Can you commit to handwriting one letter and mailing it to another person somewhere on the planet (but statistically probably North America)?

Rules:

* Sign up before the end of August 20th. Just send an email to fountainpenssa@gmail.com with your username in the title, and your address in the body.
* Once you’re assigned a buddy, you are responsible for handwriting a letter, putting it in an envelope, and mailing within two weeks. Postage will vary depending on region.
* No really, this isn’t very complicated.

I Don’t Know What to Write!

* Transcribe your favourite recipe for food and/or destruction.
* Tell us what you did this summer--establish your murder alibi early!
* Doodle your feelings, just like you did for your therapist.
* Review some of your inks or pens to validate your life choices.
* Talk about something else you know--like Noodler's backstory or why Metros are better than Lamys.
* List things you've ruined with expensive ink, starting with your credit card balance.

A Few Points...

* basic is fine, but if you have a stash of nerdy stamps, fancy paper, or a wax seal, this is your chance to get Shakespearian.
* tell your buddy what paper/ink/pen you used (because we're the only people you know who care about that stuff!)
* writing back is optional.
* no regional preferences--100% random assignments. (If you cannot afford letter postage to Uzbekistan, stop buying pens.)
* most of us have more pens than interesting things to say--adjust your expectations accordingly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WI221SD7SBY

After you've signed up, post your topic suggestions, vague threats, tips for legible writing, or favourite pen-related ASMR videos here. I'll update with a specific mail-by date once the rotation is finalised.

Pixelante fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Aug 11, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg
Thanks for hosting this! I'm in. Get ready for some really poorly drawn dicks, mystery recipient.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Hope my recipient will like strange Australian slang definitions and some form of recipe written with a pen from the 1930s.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I am also in, looking forward to testing out my new Italics nib!

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

I'm in. Expect some Half Man Half Biscuit lyrics, maybe some recipes, or random bullshit about Scotland.

ephphatha
Dec 18, 2009

Still struggling for ideas, but bullshit aussie slang definitions sounds like it could be good filler. I'll probably send some lovely drawings as well to work through my samples.

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO
here we go

kim jong-illin
May 2, 2011
I'm in, send me whatever but try to keep the badly drawn dongs off the outside.

MY PALE GOTH SKIN
Nov 28, 2006

meow
In. I can generate the endless words, in the form of stories, anecdotes, ink sample testing (I love that poo poo) etc. Please keep NWS stuff off the envelope, I can't think of a good reason to give my kid for why I have an envelope covered in dongs.

Squats
Nov 4, 2009

All goons should be aware: When you send dongs into the abyss, the abyss sends dongs back to you.

(But yeah, it's probably best to keep the outsides of envelopes SFW.)

Perhaps if the letter writer is learning (or already knows) a non-English language, the letter could contain some of their practicing? I'm learning to speak Mandarin Chinese, but I only can write a handful of characters, so I might include a rudimentary sentence in Chinese characters. I can also write a whole lot more in Pinyin (a transliteration of Chinese words using English letters) to work on my regular handwriting as well. Any of my Chinese stuff would include an English translation.

That's my meager contribution to the possible topics pile.

Iznogood
Jul 10, 2001

Email sent!

No idea what I'll write my penpal* yet but I should get an idea eventually!

*victim

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.
Signed up!

I know a little French if anyone wants to practice.

Otherwise I'll probably just write about whatever funny thing happened at work or what our cat did.

No external dongs, please.

Edit: Hahaha wow, what a phrase.

Parasol Prophet
Aug 31, 2012

We Are Best Friends Now.
I'm in! My partner can expect a small doodle and maybe the beginning of a stream-of-consciousness story about it for the writing part, both lovingly rendered in the finest entry-level pens one could imagine. (I'm a beginner at this. But learning!)

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Down4this

Quantumfate
Feb 17, 2009

Angered & displeased, he went to the Blessed One and, on arrival, insulted & cursed him with rude, harsh words.

When this was said, the Blessed One said to him:

"Motherfucker I will -end- you"

I'm in also! There may be threats of an ill-defined nature or horrendous expletives in a non-english language.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg
Dreaming of tessellating dongs...

hyper from Pixie Sticks
Sep 28, 2004

I'm in!

Nothing NSFW on the envelope, please.

unzealous
Mar 24, 2009

Die, Die, DIE!
E-mail sent.

I will likely write about how good things used to be, waxing nostalgic about a largely nonexistent period of time and lamenting the current generation for a variety of vacuous reasons.

Pixelante
Mar 16, 2006

You people will by God act like a team, or at least like people who know each other, or I'll incinerate the bunch of you here and now.
Twenty sign-ups so far!

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

unzealous posted:

E-mail sent.

I will likely write about how good things used to be, waxing nostalgic about a largely nonexistent period of time and lamenting the current generation for a variety of vacuous reasons.

Same, friend.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Will you be emailing us or updating the thread when you're ready? I don't check the email I gave you very much

Pixelante
Mar 16, 2006

Professor Shark posted:

Will you be emailing us or updating the thread when you're ready? I don't check the email I gave you very much

Yup!

:eng101: Last chance to sign up for the exchange. I'll do the rotation tomorrow. :eng101:

Premature
Dec 9, 2014

Shut your eyes, I don't want to get glitter in them.
Buglord
Just scraped in I think. I'll try to find some fancy Australian stamps so at least the poor goon I inflict my bad handwriting on will have something cool to take away from it.

Send me anything but I can read some French and some Swedish if anyone wants to practise.

Teach
Mar 28, 2008

Pillbug
Oops, looks like I missed this by a few hours, depending on timezone. Fingercrossed for dongs on the inside, kittens on the outside.

Pixelante
Mar 16, 2006

Nah, you're good. I'm not sorting stuff til later today.

I'll post here when it's 100% closed.

Pixelante
Mar 16, 2006

Assignments going out tomorrow after I fix whatever the gently caress my kitten did to the spreadsheet.

Incidentally, kitten + diamine oxblood isn't a great combination.

Pixelante
Mar 16, 2006

Assignments are emailed out. Lemme know if anything looks weird.

Lets say September 10th as the date to have something written, addressed, and posted! (Arrival dates are up to fate.)

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
I've never had occasion to send something international before. If I'm just sending, say, a two page letter, does normal postage suffice?

Teach
Mar 28, 2008

Pillbug
Where are you sending from? US?

Pixelante
Mar 16, 2006

Heath posted:

I've never had occasion to send something international before. If I'm just sending, say, a two page letter, does normal postage suffice?

It'll probably be a bit higher, depending on where you are. Check with your post office if the website is as confusing as Canada Posts. They'll be happy to sell you one appropriate stamp.

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.

Pixelante posted:

Assignments are emailed out. Lemme know if anything looks weird.

Lets say September 10th as the date to have something written, addressed, and posted! (Arrival dates are up to fate.)

Just a heads up that the 10th is a Sunday, so people will need to post stuff on the 9th to hit that deadline.

Pixelante
Mar 16, 2006

I was thinking of folks having it in a postbox by the end of Sunday so that it moves on Monday--pretty much just do your best to post something in a reasonable frame of time. Lemme know if you get overwhelmed with life and need a substitute.

I don't check that email as much as I check here, so PM or post if anything comes up.

e: Incidentally, 28 sign-ups!

Pixelante fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Aug 25, 2017

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Pixelante posted:

It'll probably be a bit higher, depending on where you are. Check with your post office if the website is as confusing as Canada Posts. They'll be happy to sell you one appropriate stamp.

Yes, I'm sending from the US, and I will do this. I probably won't be able to get it in the mail til Tuesday since I'm working all weekend and my classes just started on top of that. :shittydog:

inklesspen
Oct 17, 2007

Here I am coming, with the good news of me, and you hate it. You can think only of the bell and how much I have it, and you are never the goose. I will run around with my bell as much as I want and you will make despair.
Buglord
The US Post Office sells "global forever stamps" just like their usual forever stamps, except these ones are round and cost $1.15 each. Such a stamp will get a letter weighing up to one ounce to any country in the world. They come in "moon" and "weird green plant" varieties.

But yeah you can just put $1.15 worth of postage on and that'll do the trick too.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.
My letter is in the mailbox and will be picked up tomorrow!

I used a neat stamp, too. :3:

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
I will be making a trip to the PO tomorrow to send mine out. I may end up just writing a paragraph with every pen I have inked up just for the gently caress of it. Rainbow letters!

Premature
Dec 9, 2014

Shut your eyes, I don't want to get glitter in them.
Buglord
Letter posted, legibility not guaranteed.

Teach
Mar 28, 2008

Pillbug
In the post today, so should be in the US (*rolls 2D6*) next month sometime?

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Letter written and should be in the mail today!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hyper from Pixie Sticks
Sep 28, 2004

Letter posted this morning, to arrive whenever transatlantic postal services do their thing.

• Locked thread