Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---
Hello and welcome everybody to the Jupiler Pro League 2017-2018 thread. This thread is about the top league in Belgian football.
The competition will start started on July 31st and while I'm typing this, the first game of matchday 3 is about to kick off. So let's not waste anymore time and look wich teams will compete for the title this year! This will mostly be a copy/paste of last years hugely succesful thread because :effort:.

The 16 teams who will disappoint us this year

Royal Sporting Club Anderlecht aka Sporting aka mauves et blancs/paarswit (purple and white)
Won the league last year.
What did these scrubs accomplish?

Nationwide: This team is basically the juggernaut of Belgian football, they've been League champion for a whopping 33 times. Their longest streak is five wins from 63-64 to 67-68. They haven't been relegated since 1935. They've won the Belgian Cup 9 times, their longest streak being four wins from 71-72 to 75-76. Anderlecht have won the Supercup 11 times, always as League champion.

Anderlecht are one of the three clubs who won the Belgian League Cup. They won the last edition in 2001. They've won two editions of the Bruges Matins, beating Club Brugge twice.

International: Anderlecht are the most successful Belgian team in Europe, winning:

-The European Cup Winners' Cup twice by beating West Ham United in 1976 and Austria Wien in 1978.
-The UEFA Cup by beating Benfica in 1983.
-The UEFA Supercup twice by beating Bayern Munchen in 1976 and Liverpool in 1978.

2016-2017: They played boring and unattractive football, annoying most of their fans. But with 3 matchdays remaining, they won the league, so yeah, that's not bad.

Trainer: René Weiler (SUI)
Main JPL rivals: Club Brugge, Standard Ličge
You've probably heard of: Youri Tielemans (transferred to Monaco this season, very good lad), Leander Dendoncker (huge talent, I'm surprised they managed to hold on to him).
Founded: 1908

Club Brugge Koninklijke Voetbalvereniging aka blauw-zwart (blue and black) aka Club aka boeren (farmers)
Finished 2nd last season.

Nationwide: Club Brugge have become League champion 14 times, their longest streak being three wins from 75-76 to 77-78. They've won the Belgian Cup 10 times, their longest streak being 2 wins from 1994-95 to 95-96. Club have won the Supercup 14 times, 8 times as league champion and 6 times as cup winner, longest streak being four wins from 2002 to 2005. Club Brugge won the very first Supercup against SK Beveren in 1980. They've won the Bruges Matins 19 times (which isn't really an accomplishment when you're always in the finals since 1991) with a current seven win streak. A comeback against a feisty Wolfsburg kept the streak going.

International: Club Brugge have had mixed success outside of Belgium. They got in the group stages of the Champions League and they got a whopping 0 points there.

-Lost the 1976 UEFA Cup final and 1978 European Champion Clubs' Cup final, both against Liverpool.
-Won the 1981 Kirin Cup.

2016-2017: Finished second in the league, did poorly in the Champions League. Almost lost the second place on the final matchday of the season but they didn't. Don't remember much else about them right now. Their trainer Michel Preud'homme left and they appointed ex-player and ex-STVV coach Ivan Leko.

Trainer: Ivan Leko (CRO)
Main JPL Rivals: AA Gent, Anderlecht, Cercle Brugge
You've probably heard of: Timmy Simons, Tomas Pina Isla, José Izquierdo (who just got transferred to Brighton & Hove Albion)
Founded: 1891

Koninklijke Atletiek Associatie Gent aka The Buffalos

Nationwide: AA Gent have been relegated a few times and are a four time Second Division champion, as well as Second Division Final Round Champion in 1989. After 1989, Gent haven't been relegated. Gent have won the Belgian cup three times and won the Supercup as cup winner in 1984. They won their very first championship in 2015!

International: AA Gent's biggest accomplishment in Europe is being a runner-up twice in the Intertoto Cup. Did decent last 2 season in Champions League and later Europa league. Decent = still in the competition after the winter break.

2016-2017: Awesome season in Europe, with the absolute hightlight being knocking out Spurs at Wembley. Struggled to get into Play Off I, where they almost finished second. But they didn't, they finished third. Still, not too bad. Also bought a ton of expensive players in January and more recently bought even more and even more expensive players.

Trainer: Hein Vanhaezebrouck (BEL)
Main JPL rivals: Club Brugge, Lokeren
You've probably heard of: Lovre Kalinic? Danijel Milicevic? Moses Simon?
Founded: 1900

Koninklijke Racing Club Genk

They won the Belgian League three times and the Belgian Cup four times. They have won the Supercup once in 2011 as league champion. They've also won the Second Division once, the Final Round twice and haven't been relegated since 1996.

2016-2017: Failed to get in Play-Off I and then bossed around Play-Off II and won that. Unfortunately, literally nobody cares about that.

Trainer: Albert Stuivenberg (NL)
Main JPL rivals: STVV, and not Westerlo like some idiot said last year
You've probably heard of: Thomas Buffel, Pozuelo
Founded: 1988 (As fusion between THOR Waterschei and KFC Winterslag)

Koninklijke Voetbalclub Oostende aka de Kustboys (the Boys from the Coast)

KV Oostende are the closest team to you if you're from across the pond or across the bigger pond. If you want to look the least plastic this club is for you. They had a real good season in the second division, but are best known in this thread for being bought by The Most Obnoxious Man In Football Marc Coucke

2015-16: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WJnOow4BSNg

Trainer: Yves Vanderhaeghe (BEL)
Main JPL rivals: Omega Pharma speculation
You've probably heard of: Silvio Proto, Yassine El Ghanassy
Founded: 1981 (fusion of VG and AS Oostende)

Sportvereniging Zulte Waregem aka Essevee

~~ DEFENDING CUP WINNERS ~~

Nationwide: They were Second Division champion in 2005, haven't left the Pro League since and won the Belgian Cup in 2006.

International: Waregem's biggest accomplishment in Europe was losing to Newcastle in the 3rd round of the UEFA cup.

2016-2017: Got into Play-Off I but it didn't really matter since they won the cup (final against Oostende) and thus were guaranteed European football. So they hosed around and finished 4th or 5th?

Trainer: Francky Dury (BEL)
Main JPL rivals: Kortrijk
You've probably heard of: Mbaye Leye, Timothy Derijck
Founded: 2001 (Fusion of KSV Waregem and Zultse VV)

Royal Standard Club de Ličge aka Les Rouches (The Reds)

Nationwide: They've been Belgian League champion ten times now, their longest winning streak is three wins, from 68-69 to 70-71. Their last win was the 2008-2009 season. Standard has won the Supercup four times, once as cup winner and three times as league champion. Standard has won the Belgian Cup 7 times, the last time in 2016. They haven't been relegated since 1921.

International: Ličge's biggest accomplishment in Europe was losing 2-1 to Barcelona in the UEFA Cup Winners' Cup finals in 1982.

2016-2017: Imploded in a hilarious way. Didn't make it to Play-Off I and bumbled around midtable.

Trainer: Ricardo Sá Pinto (POR)
Main JPL rivals: Anderlecht, Charleroi
You've probably heard of: Jonathan Legear, Jean-Francois Gillet, Belfodil
Founded: 1898

Royale Sporting du Pays de Charleroi aka the Zebras

They've been second division champions twice, the last time was in 2012

2016-2017: Got in POI and finished last there. Played some good football though. They're alright.

Trainer: Felice Mazzu (BEL)
Main JPL rivals: Standard Ličge
You've probably heard of: David Pollet, Nicolas Penneteau
Founded: 1904

Koninklijke Voetbalclub Kortrijk aka De Kerels (The Dudes)

Won the Final Round three times and the Second Division twice, haven't been relegated since 2007.

2016-2017: Uh, finished midtable I guess? Will look into this later.

Trainer: Yannis Anastasiou (GRE)
Main JPL rivals: Zulte Waregem
You've probably heard of: Christophe Lepoint, Teddy Chevalier
Founded: 1901

Yellow Red Koninklijke Voetbalclub Mechelen aka The Yellow Reds aka Malinois aka Malinwa aka De Kakkers (The Shitters)

Nationwide: Four time First Division winner, five time Second Division winner, two time Final Round winner, one time Third Division winner (after bankruptcy), one time Belgian Cup winner. They haven't been relegated since 2007.

International:
1988 European Cup Winners' Cup winner, beating Ajax with 1-0.
1988 European Supercup winner, beating PSV Eindhoven
1989 Joan Gamper Trophy winner, beating Sochaux

2016-2017: Finished 2nd in Play-Off II.

Trainer: Yannick Ferrera (BEL)
Main JPL rivals: Lierse
You've probably heard of: Mats Rits, Dalibor Veselinovic
Founded: 1904

Koninklijke Sporting Club Lokeren Oost-Vlaanderen aka Tricolores aka Lokerse boeren (farmers of Lokeren)

They won the Belgian Cup, their very first trophy, in 2011 and repeated this feat in 2014. They were also the Second Division champion in 1996 and haven't been relegated since.

2016-2017: Started bad, fired Georges Leekens and ex-playre Runar Kristinsonn took over. They played better and finished midtable. Runar Kristinsonn got fired last week (after 2 matchdays, indeed :D) and now Peter Maes is back.

Trainer: Peter Maes (BEL)
Main JPL rivals: AA Gent, Waasland-Beveren
You've probably heard of: Barry Boubacar Copa, Tom De Sutter
Founded: 1923

Koninklijke Voetbalclub Red Star Waasland-Sportkring Beveren aka de Wase Wolven (the Wolves of the Waasland)

SK Beveren had a few titles and a supercup or two I'm pretty sure. Sadly this club has Waasland's honours and not Beveren's so apart from winning the Second Division final round in 2013 they've done gently caress all!!

2016-2017: I'll get to this later.

Trainer: Philippe Clement (BEL)
Main JPL rivals: Lokeren
You've probably heard of: Siebe Schrijvers, Milos Maric
Founded: 2010 (Fusion of Red Star Waasland and SK Beveren)

Koninklijke Sint-Truidense Voetbalvereniging aka STVV

They won a trophy that doesn't exist anymore in 1999. Best known for being the only club in Belgium with astroturf.

2016-2017: Finished midtable.

Trainer: Jonas De Roeck apparantly (BEL-
Main JPL rivals: Genk
You've probably heard of: Nick Proschwitz, Yuji Ono
Founded: 1924

Royal Excel Mouscron aka whatever

Not much! At one point during the 90s, they found themselves in the fourth provincial division. However, in the last few seasons Mouscron has shot up the ranks, going from fourth to third division in 2011, from third to second in 2012 and now finally to first division in 2014 after winning the second division final round.

2016-2017: Managed ot avoid relegation.

Trainer: Mircea Rednic (RO)
Main JPL rivals: The Belgian Sport Tribunal
You've probably heard of: David Hubert, Shane O'Neill
Founded: 1921 as Racing Club Péruwelz, fusion with Mouscron in 2010

Königliche Allgemeine Sportvereinigung Eupen aka De Panda's
~~ FIRST DIVISION B CHAMPION ~~

What did these scrubs accomplish

What was five years ago a quaint club with a weird moon language became a feeder club for a Qatari scam enhancement academy for promising footballers. All of the staff are also Spanish now.

2016-2017: Played some great football from time to time. Then got in Play Off II and didn't do so well there.

Trainer: Jordi Condom (don't laugh) (ESP)
Main JPL rivals: domestic youth academies
You've probably heard of: Henry Onyekuru (who left for Everton, who loaned him to Anderlecht)
Founded: 1945

THE FRESH BLOOD:

Royal Antwerp Football Club aka The Great Old aka Antwerp aka Stamnummer 1

The oldest professional footbal club in Belgium. Also based in the biggest city in Flanders. It's pretty shameful they spent such a long time in the lower divisions. But now they're here and they won't go back down easily (or so they say).

Trainer: László Bölöni (RO)
Main JPL rivals: Beerschot Wilrijk who are in a lower divsion
You've probably heard of: Sinan Bolat, Obbi Oulare
Founded: 1880

loving playoffs, how do they work?

They don't, but here it is:
- 1 to 6 play against each other in one group with their points halved, top spot becomes champion, fourth (or fifth) spot plays against the winner of:

- 7 to 15 of the First Division A and 2 to 4 from First Division B play against each other in two groups starting from zero, top spots play against each other, winner goes against aforementioned fourth (or fifth)

I hear you ask, why get teams in from the second division? Why not the champions? Huh??? I answer to you that we don't loving know either

WHO'S IN EUROPE HUH???

Haha, funny that you ask!
Well, Anderlecht is in the Group Stages of the Champions League, since they won last season. So far so good.
Club Brugge was in the pre-elimination rounds for the Champions League bot got knocked out. Now they're in the pre-elimination rounds for the Europa League.
Gent, finishing 3rd, were in the pre-elimination rounds for the Europa League but got knocked out by Austrian club FC Altach (yeah I know).
Oostende were also in pre-elimination rounds for the Europa League and got knocked out by Nice.
Zulte Waregem will play in the group stages of the Europa League because they won the cup.

Fans:

First Division:
AA Gent: beedeebee
Anderlecht: the sex ghost
Cercle Brugge: oystertoadfish
Club Brugge: Bacon of the Sea, belgend, Green-Eyed Loco Man, uXs
Lokeren: inktvis
Oud-Heverlee Leuven: Punc
Standard Liege: biglad, Newbori
Zulte Waregem: R.Mute

Lower Divisions:

Eendracht Aalst (Second Amateur Division A): DjCoax, malder
White Star Bruxelles (First Amateur Division): byolante

Anyways, here's the table so far, and right now Zulte-Waregem - Club Brugge is underway. So far it's 0-0.

I'll probably update this OP later, but for now we can begin posting about the JPL! :cheers:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

belgend
Mar 6, 2008

me when The Club do another win

I'm triggered by all the factual errors in the OP but we are T O P O F L E A G U E

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---

belgend posted:

I'm triggered by all the factual errors in the OP but we are T O P O F L E A G U E

Yes I know, I quickly banged out that post while I was waiting for the game to start. I'll fix it later. Totally.

belgend
Mar 6, 2008

end the league ta

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---

belgend posted:

end the league ta

Agreed. Let's start over or something

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Toxx yourselves if you truly have faith in your season's predictions: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3831115&perpage=40

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---
Disband Club Brugge and then end the league please

Grillfiend
Nov 29, 2015

Belgians ITT
(ie Me)

lol Anderlecht

belgend
Mar 6, 2008