Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

The_Doctor posted:

Maybe I should write that in big bold letters in the OP.

THIS IS NOT GOING TO BE LIKE FAMILY GUY

"Hey The_Doctor, remember when you said this wasn't going to be like family guy?" *cut away*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

shadok posted:

Never liked it much.

If you don't like the Glorious Heritage class then you're dead inside.

CPColin posted:

And it's being broadcast!? For free!?

Does CBS even have the technology to do this?!

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

DancingShade posted:

I hope this show succeeds and completely displaces the rest of the ST franchise so the kind of nerds who get upset over the color of Kirk's shirt threads or the number of windows on the Enterprise can freak out and collapse on the ground, frothing at the mouth in fury.

nobody cares

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Norm MacDonald has no honor.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

IMO skeletons have never been featured as an enemy on Star Trek, might be worth a shot?

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

True, there were those skeleton guys. RIP skeleton guys, Worf killed you.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Jeb! Repetition posted:

Yeah that was a big part of why I didn't like the aesthetics of later treks. I don't consider TNG's bright lighting to be arbitrary or chronologically culture-bound, I thought it was thematic. Part of Trek's optimism and eye toward discovery and understanding. I mean the intellectual tradition it's in is literally called the Enlightenment.

DS9's lighting was done that way for production reasons. They built the sets with modular grid ceilings and put all the lights up there. It's darker but you can do a lot more with the cameras with large sets and unobstructed lines of vision. They built a very large 2-story set that includes the station promenade and Quark's, and since all the lighting is hidden in the set ceilings you can pan the cameras over those big sets however you want. There are a few 360 degree panning shots in Quark's that you might not notice but would not be possible with the way the TNG sets were done.

They explained it in-show that Cardassians preferred dim light and even the fairly dim light on the station was the brightest setting. The Cardassian characters complain about it from time to time.

Voyager had no excuse for its silver and grey color scheme and dim alert condition lighting.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Dukat is a great character because he's exactly the sort of narcissistic creep that takes people in and makes them think that all his failures and cruelty must be somebody else's fault. He's petty, cruel, and not too bright but Alaimo brings so much charm and swagger to the character you can see why he had a fan club.

Dukat is a lot like a handsome Donald Trump come to think of it.

Seasons 1-5 Dukat was the best villain in Star Trek history and it's a shame that they had to make him a raving lunatic so that the fans would stop writing him letters. You just love to hate him.

Arglebargle III fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Aug 13, 2017

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

He's a good villain because you can see how pathetic his "I'm the good guy here" routine really is. Sure he believes it because he's pretty much Dennis from Always Sunny if he was a Nazi officer.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Man I forgot Avery Brooks is a crooner. That was so surprising.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

So they tripped you?

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Jeb! Repetition posted:

It didn't happen to me personally but we watched a video of it happening to another member of the crew.

Would you say that they were tripping?

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Wait what thread is this?!

Arglebargle III fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Sep 5, 2017

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Jeb! Repetition posted:

My biggest concern is that MacFarlane's making the characters too cliched. I mean come on, resentful ex is his second in command, and the human bridge staff are his supportive best friend and a black guy with no filter?

Oh my God they accidentally made McCoy the captain!

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Stuffguyman posted:

lol, this thread

Who cares

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

No secret disguise sideburns. 1/19

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

It's good to make your debut compete with football.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Okay b****** I laughed at least 5 times to the premiere. Making the stoic Guy the one with the weird reproduction is funny. T&g with no sense of professionalism is funny. The jokes were dumb, but when characters did silly things I laughed. It's time to watch a show. And that show is the show. Yeah. It's watching showtimes.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I think there's some natural tension between outright parody, which is funny but has short legs, and sci-fi adventure with jokes, which might be more risky in joke value but has more space to explore.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Yeah that was a funny way for the Humans and Centauri to find out they weren't as similar as first appeared.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

The_Doctor posted:

So they've released a couple of scenes from the next ep. One is some so-so Seth riffing, and the other is this really good character moment for Alara and Bortus. I like it!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dh5tmI1r-vM

Yeah this is the funny stuff on the show. The jokes are crap, but playing out the ridiculous scenarios Star Trek regularly puts its characters into, for laughs, is good and funny. Remember the scene in Galaxy Quest with the awful food? I can't remember any of the jokes in that scene but the horrible alien food and the genuine solicitude of the hosts were funny and memorable.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Same

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

The ridiculous situations are by far the best jokes; McFarlane's character is kinda supposed to be an unfunny dork. We're meant to groan at his egg crack.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

3 DONG HORSE posted:

So you are afraid of ponies? That's all I can really take from that. Bronies = trekkies, same poo poo different uniform. In fact, TNG:Orville::Bronies:Tekkies

Chew on that you puss

Monologues at u

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Isn't he dead?

No you're thinking of Jesus.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

:vince:

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

TealShark posted:

The ratings absolutely tanked last night, pulling a 1.1 in the key demo, down from the 2s in its Sunday time slot.

Not really surprising considering they moved the show to a new time for the 3rd episode. FOX! :argh:

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I am really enjoying how the aliens seem unable to differentiate between human trashy fiction and treasured wisdom.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Girls Just Wanna Have Fun Mexican outlaw was great and exactly the kind of insanity that should have happened on the holodeck rather than the dangerous insanity in Trek.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

There's a really obscure Trek callback in the background of the scene where Bortas and his husband are replicating clothes. A couple humans behind them replicate that loving egg shaped light ornament that shows up all over sets in DS9 and Voyager. I think it was the thing that attracted the nitrous aliens in the episode where Janeway blows up that other Federation ship and it was on the set for the rogue planet in the Omarion Nebula.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

turn left hillary!! noo posted:

In no way does she take 90% of the blame, she has been very clear that Mercer's workaholism severely strained their relationship.

Yeah but she's childish and petty about it at every turn. You can't say "I made a huge mistake and I'm so sorry can you forgive me?" and then turn around and three seconds later shift the blame for the thing you just apologized for.

I'm glad that the show head faked them getting back together in the second episode and showed us they don't get along very well in a domestic situation.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

vermin posted:

poo poo, that's what I get for only watching the episodes once. And only really half watched that that.

I completely forgot he was a rising star. I just remember he was a workaholic and that he always wanted command but never got it so I just assumed the Union thought he was inherently wrong for the position for his failings.

It sounds pretty bad. I think the admiral said he was put on report six times for showing up hungover. And I bet that coworkers would have understood the first few times and not reported him, so probably double digit showing up drunk/hungover episodes. Not something you want in your resume. Second episode establishes that he drinks in the morning when he's in a bad mood and doesn't have to do anything.

Arglebargle III fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Sep 24, 2017

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Lightning Lord posted:

I love Star Trek and I've heard a lot of good things about this show. But I'm hesitant. I like humor in my sci-fi TV, so that's not the issue. I mean, Star Trek was often funny. But I think everything else Seth MacFarlane has done is shrill, wretched poo poo, including American Dad. I'm going to watch this anyway when I get a chance, but I just want to know how prevalent or reined in are the MacFarlane-isms exactly? I'm not going to stop watching if he talks in a funny Peter Griffin voice or some poo poo, I just want to know what's up, that's all.

It's a Star Trek workplace comedy.

He doesn't talk in a funny voice. Most of the humor comes from taking the characters into exactly the same ridiculous situations Trek would put its characters in, only The Orville plays the scene for laughs. These are the guys who got a C in Astrophysics but still got through the academy okay. They're not incompetent fools but their lives are messy and they're not dignified.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Mukaikubo posted:

so in the wake of Discovery I kinda think I should just watch this instead- what streaming things is the pilot and episodes aired to date on?

This one's on TV! There's gonna be reruns.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Best fan theory of the year.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I am the Orville

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Zaphod42 posted:

3rd episode isn't really working for me because I just can't get over how dumb it is that you have a mono-sex species and its still male. That makes no drat sense. And then one of them is spontaneously born female, like they were male/female all along, but they reproduce male-male... Its like the writers have never heard of evolution. There's no reason why an alien species couldn't just have one gender, or three. And if they only had one gender, they would be neither male nor female. Its just dumb.

wow

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Btw your biological objections to the Moklins are worthless hth.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Lol @ applying Earth:biotruths:to aliens. You guys aren't even right for earth. Sex selection mechanisms break down often enough over evolutionary time that Earth animals have five different sex selection mechanisms that I've heard of. And not like flat worms either. There's a mammal with no sex chromosomes I think it's some kind of shrew. There are lizards that only have male offspring occasionally. Works out okay I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Maybe the crew of the Discovery were also day drunk would explain some things.