Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Well, it's been a while.

I'm the idiot who took this:

and stuffed it into this:

To make this:

And I have neglected my previous thread and it has fallen into archives. Now where did we leave off? Oh right, I just threw tires onto my Baja and parked the Porsche for the winter.

The Baja is great winter machine, and the DCCDPRo and STI drivetrain does a great job of putting power down to the ground in slippery conditions.

When everything works it's just magic, but being a project car there's always something that comes up, doesn't it? I've developed a fuel leak somewhere. It started with a little bit of a whiff of petrol, figured it was just an evap line perhaps, but it soon became a pretty strong smell and it warranted some investigation before it did an impression of an italian super car. My good friend being a generous fellow, allowed me access to his heated work shop so that I could tackle this

Well, I found my issue, it was a crack in the fuel hose running underneath the intake manifold. The one that connects the drivers and passenger side fuel rails. That little fucker that is tucked away under there with just enough access to piss you off because there should be enough room to put a tool in there, but no, there really isn't.

gently caress you fuel hose

Of course rubber hose sticks to the metal pipes like its life depended on it. It was not a pleasant experience, but crisis averted, the car was no longer at risk of self immolating.

And with that, winter was ending, and the Baja went into storage. Although winter gave its last hurrah and came back with some crazy huge snow flakes after I had already switched my wife's subaru to summer wheels

As the temperatures go warmer, and the snow receded, it was time to do some overdue maintenance on the Porsche... and believe me, it was long overdue.

Just... Wow. My words fail me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vbpWozx2A6A

From what I knew about the car, it appeared to be a little on the neglected side. Did not appear to be abused, but definitely neglected by the previous owner. Other than the maintenance that the paperwork indicated, I don't believe the car saw any other care. Motor was filthy, but that's to be expected when getting to it involves getting the top in the service position, removing the cubby above it, removing the sound deadening carpet cover, and finally the protective metal cover.

With the new filter installed, and the engine given a quick bath, it was time to button up from the top.

Attacked it from below now, replaced the oil after the winter.

Tackled the spark plugs and found the coil packs in dire condition. from the date codes they were the originals

Got to test out my new cheap endoscope ($20 CAD, with a micro USB connection to work with any android). All cylinders looked OK with some carbon build up. That would get cleared up nicely later on :getin:

The access was surprisingly nice, I'd say this was easier to do on the porsche than it was on the subaru.

Looks like they've had better days, although surprisingly enough there was no performance indication that anything was amiss. It ran pretty much perfect as-is.

New set was ordered and installed.

While I was doing the back, I also installed something else

Also did the cabin air filter at the same time, and the car was ready to rock for the season. To be continued.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
That seems like much better image quality than the Can Tire endoscope we've been using. Where can you buy it?

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Seat Safety Switch posted:

That seems like much better image quality than the Can Tire endoscope we've been using. Where can you buy it?

Co worker of mine actually tipped me off on them, they're cheap things but work well enough.

https://phoneendoscope.com/products/smartphone-waterproof-endoscope-inspection-camera-for-android-devices

Looks the price went up a smidge from when I got mine.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

The Boxster got new michelin tires and as it got some body work before winter and was looking pretty slick, I took it to a friends detailing shop, Rebirth Detailing, for a full exterior and interior revival plus Xpel paint protective film on the bumper, hood, fenders, and mirrors for good measure. He did a great job, this 12 year old Porsche looked brand new.

Spring was here, I've got an unnatural attraction to the rocky mountains, and for the first time in my life I've got a convertible sports car. Two words. Road. Trip.
(You too get to suffer through my vacation photos!)

Breaking up the drive into two parts was the best decision, gets all the boring highway driving out of the way and let us enjoy the sights fully on the next day as we made it to our final stop. Of course the trip was not without its excitement. In Regina, Saskatchewan when we stopped for lunch, we came back to the car after about 20 minutes and the rear license plate was stolen. We were not in Friendly Manitoba anymore... quick pit stop to move the front plate to the rear and reporting the incident to the RCMP and we continued on our way.

On the way we stopped in the little town of Waterton, a very quaint place with a very laid back feel. I missed this place on my previous trips but this time I was set on experiencing the small town.

Even the animals were laid back here

After Waterton drove up Crowsnest and stopped to see the Frank Slide

By that evening we had made it to our home base for the week. A delightful BnB in Radium BC

Throughout the week, we went EVERYWHERE. over 6000 km of driving in the week.

Went up the Jasper along what has to be one of the most scenic roads in this country

And of course we stopped by Athabasca falls.

And we saw some wildlife along the route

Driving through the mountains is just incredible. With the roof down you have an amazing view of the mountains towering to either side of you and elevation changes and twisty road are exhilarating. It is just an unbelievable feeling of how in-tune you get with the car through all the curves, it's almost telepathic. Since we were in Radium, we made the drive on hwy 93 through Kootenay many times and it was a dream every single time. Albertans are crazier than I am. There was a time or two that I took some of the downhill curves quick enough to land me in some trouble if I was observed but these guys, yeesh. Had a lifted bro-truck whip around me on a blind corner and he ended up in the oncoming lane because he couldn't keep it in the lane at those speeds. loving mental.

We took a trip up to Revelstoke to see the meadows in the sky parkway, but unfortunately we couldn't make it to the top as the snow hadn't receded far enough and the road was covered.

It was a little disappointing but the drive out was gorgeous and we stopped by the giant cedars boardwalk on the way.

The mountains also have some interesting weather patterns as we found out. We ran into some very localized showers on our way back from Revelstoke and we personally confirmed that if you are going above 100km/h you will not get any water on the inside of the car with the roof down in a pretty decent downpour.

But of course, not trip would be complete without visiting the tourist trap that is Banff. Seriously I love the place but there's no denying it is very much geared towards getting all those tourism dollars.

Oh right, the first time we stopped there it was snowing. I never thought I would drive this car in snow, but here we are.

Now, I was on Michelin Pilot Super Sports, not exactly a winter ready tire. They handled surprisingly well, grip was adequate the whole time and taking it cautiously I was able to get around without issue.

The following day, everything melted and it was back to being sunny and warm. The weather was a roller coaster for sure. Mornings were cool around 10°C, with the afternoon warming up to high 20's.

We stopped by Emerald lake and saw the natural rock bridge.

The rushing water, the soft cool mist around the falls, the experience is just relaxing and mesmerizing to look at.

This majestic grizzly was just walking along the side of the road eating dandelions and minding his own business. We got right up beside him to snap a picture, closest I've ever been to a grizzly

The whole trip was an unforgettable experience. If you ever have the opportunity to tour the canadian rockies in a convertible, absolutely do it.

And if you're from a place that doesn't have Costco booze, Calgary does, and the truck of the 987 comfortably fits two cases of Kirkland French Vodka.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Once I had come back from my trip, I had listed my boxster for sale for what I thought was on the high end. After all it had 175k km on it, spotty service history, and was a 12 year old base model albeit with some nice options on it. I put it up on Kijiji with the lowest effort ad I could muster, 5 pictures and a single line describing the car, listed for $23k.

That was a Thursday afternoon. Thursday night I had been messaged by a potential buyer and we arranged for a test drive the next day. Friday he takes it for a spin, looks it over well, and we agree on $21k for the car. Saturday we meet up at his businesses location and the car and money change hands.

When I had listed it I fully expected it to sit for the rest of summer and that next spring I would list it a more reasonable price. It all felt like it happened in a blur. I miss the car almost immediately after handing over the keys. But I can't be too upset. I've had the car for 10 months, 10k km, and having bought it for $14.5k and being into it for $19k after the maintenance I performed I made some money on it and got to enjoy it. I have to get another.

With the passing of our previous GSD, we had got in contact with a well respected breeder in a town 2hrs west of the city. With much waiting and anticipation, he was finally born and ready to take home. He is a little ball of fluff and energy.

He grew up so fast, almost changing on a day to day basis

He is now just under 6 months old and he's a big one, he'll be like a miniature horse once he fully grows up.

He is the embodiment of mischief, it seems to be second nature for him.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
What happened to the Veloster?

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

mariooncrack posted:

What happened to the Veloster?

Oh I still have it, it's my current summer DD as the Baja has been designated to winter duty only. It was in storage while I had the Porsche out.

Seeing as I no longer had a sports car for the summer, and due to being a workaholic I completely forgot to take any of my vacation last year and only found out about it when the company emailed in the spring to let us know that our vacation was resetting. I've asked my manager and I was able to carry it forward into the next year so I took full advantage of that.

The next stop was the East coast. Halifax NS was home for the next week and a bit.

Walking along the waterfront we saw a familiar face, Theodore Tugboat! As a kid I remember watching the show on TV.

And being tourists, we did the most touristy thing imaginable and bought tickets for a ride on the harbor hopper, a repurposed military amphibious vehicle. These puppies are 1960's LARC-V and only 968 were made, at a cost of around 1 million each.

Uncomfortable, loud, and way overpriced, this was definitely a do it once and never again experience. We also had a shortened time in the water as there was a military ship in the harbor that restricted the movement of these so we had to go along a modified route that was 1/2 the time of the regular route.

We stopped by the Citadel to take in some military history and witnessed the changing of the guard ceremony

Also got to chat with one of the guides there about this restored and running Ford model T ambulance. It even had a little oil puddle under it :3:

And you can't stop by in Nova Scotia without visiting the Alexander Keith's brewery.

We made day trips all around, went down to Lunenburg and enjoyed what may have been the best fish and chips in the province.

Knocked off another tourist trap with a quick stop at Peggy's lighthouse on the way back to halifax

and checked out the treasure hunting artifacts on Oak Island

Hopped over to New Brunswick to check out the Hopewell rocks, one of the best places to see the incredible difference between the high and low tides in the bay of Fundy.

Saw the beautiful red coast of Prince Edward Island

Cruised around the harbor of Charlottetown

and had the best lobster I've ever had aboard the Top Notch were we learned about the fishing industry and got to pull up some of the traps they have set.

I've heard of the famous highland loop, and that they have mountains there as well. The draw of mountains had me hooked and of course I had to explore Cape Breton.

Unfortunately the day we went we ran into clouds, but the views were still wonderful. Thick green forest, low impenetrable clouds, and twisty narrow roads. Paradise.

Shifting gears back to quaint small towns, we made the trip to a tiny little island with around 200 inhabitants on the western tip of Nova Scotia, Brier island.

We set off into the bay of Fundy in search of whales but it was a foggy day on the island, the lighthouses were shining bright and the foghorns could be heard echoing back from the mainland.

But farther out to sea the fog cleared and boy did we find those whales.

The whales came right under our boat, and we were in for a real treat. It's apparently quite rare to see a pod of 4 whales together in these waters, the feeding must have been very good that day as they are usually territorial of their hunting grounds.

While we were there we had the fastest car in the world. A rental Jetta.

It was surprisingly enough a Wolfsburg edition so it was very comfy for the trip.

Considering we spend almost 50hrs in the thing and over 3700km, it was good that is was little upscale.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
I love the Maritimes. Those DUKW knockoffs are death traps, even low-speed traffic accidents result in remarkable numbers of dead tourists. Plus, they're not inspected as seagoing vessels so you better hope they never spring a leak when they're in the harbour.

Did you go to the maritime museum in Halifax? The inside of the sub they have parked near Theodore Tugboat is pretty neat to look around.

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Aug 13, 2017

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Seat Safety Switch posted:

I love the Maritimes. Those DUKW knockoffs are death traps, even low-speed traffic accidents result in remarkable numbers of dead tourists. Plus, they're not inspected as seagoing vessels so you better hope they never spring a leak when they're in the harbour.

Did you go to the maritime museum in Halifax? The inside of the sub they have parked near Theodore Tugboat is pretty neat to look around.

We did, as well as the museum in Lunenburg. When we were there they didn't have the sub (or at least we missed it) but did have the CSS Acadia that walked around on, although it was just on the top deck and was kind of barren. And that's great to know now, haha. Luckily we avoided death on this trip. I would think the mass would be enough that it would kind of act like a bus in an accident where as long as you didn't hit a building/tree you'd be fine as a passenger, I don't doubt they would sink like a rock if they sprung a leak.

After my brief Porsche ownership experience, I had begun questioning my ownership of the Baja. It has been a great project and it has taught me a lot, but at this point in time I have lost a little bit of that passion that I had for it. Don't get me wrong, it's an amazing winter machine and still brings a smile to my face everytime it starts up, but I am no longer finding myself drawn to working on it, and I can't justifying any big expenses on it. If I keep it I'll just maintain it best I can but I don't think I'll be modifying it further (... famous last words maybe?)

I've gotten a little too used to the creature comforts, and just overall experience of my Porsche, it's the latest thing that has drawn my interest and I think that is where I'll be looking for projects in the future. Maybe repeat the fix-enjoy-flip for a few more cars until I find *the one* As such I've listed the Baja for sale for $12.5k CAD which I think is a fair enough price. I'm not sure if it'll ever sell as I'm not sure I'd buy someone else's project myself, but if it doesn't I'll be keeping it as a winter car for the foreseeable future.

So I found myself another car:

2005 base same as my last one, 92k km, a few more options than my last one.

The blue looked great in photos, and while the tan is not my first choice for interiors, it works well with the blue.

I had a business trip planned in the near future so I contacted the owner and talked him down to $16,750 CAD from his list of $18k, left him a deposit and arranged to see there car when I would land in Toronto. When I saw the car I was on the fence for buying it:

Bajaha posted:

So, I think I'm going for it. Got to break in my new durametric pro with this one.

Can I get a sanity check? Plan is to give final payment on Thursday so I can back out before then for the cost of my deposit and alternative travel arrangements home.

05 Boxster base, nicely equipped, 92k km

Good:
Low to average km for its age
Body looks great, very minor scratch on passenger side, should be nearly invisible after a polish
Drives great, no abnormal noises when driving, going over bumps, accelerating hard, or braking
Color looks fantastic in person, the yellow isn't grating, sand beige looks really nice
Tires have good tread
Everything electrical works, and so does AC
Shouldn't require anything to pass a safety inspection in Manitoba
Canadian market car

Meh:
One of the POs installed aftermarket radio and amplifier.
All red taillights are not my thing, but are passable.
Tires are dated 2013, so a little old but the tread looks good, no cracking in the sidewall which is a surprise for Michelin's
Black floor mats, and tacky pedal covers
Convertible elastics are worn, they're easy to reinforce though so I'll have to do that
Cheap cf wrap on some interior bits
Missing factory tool kit

Bad:
Missing wind deflector
Seat adjustment knobs (upper back rest ones)- one missing, others suspect, will need replacing most likely
Aftermarket spoiler, install looks ghetto. Would try to replace with factory one if I can track one down
LED lighting installed in few places, computer is unhappy about it when probed with durametric, no warnings on cluster though.
LED in gauge cluster, uneven lighting, bugs the poo poo out of me
No service records with the car
Only has a single key, would need to purchase another.

Scary:
Had 13/19 revolutions in 4 and 3 rev range at 350ish engine hours, assumed to be from single event.
150 revolutions in range 2 at 2900ish engine hours, and last revs into range 1 were at the same time

Currently at 3300 engine hours.

After the drive could hear some valve train noise from motor when kneeling behind it. Inaudible from inside car. Sounded very similar to what my previous one did after winter storage. After a few minutes noise went away. Crossing my fingers it's just from being stored for the last month, and maybe being due for an oil change. The range 3,4 overrev scares me but it was almost 2900 engine hours ago so if excessive damage was done I'd expect it to have surfaced by now.

Overall I'm scare-roused. So far we agreed on $16,000 CAD and at that price I should be able to get away with breaking even even if the motor betrays me and needs replacing. I'm thinking it's worth around $24k-26k in Manitoba based on what I've seen them listed for and having sold my previous one for $21k with almost twice the mileage.

But while the owner was originally accommodating for getting a PPI done, he changed his tune and kept delaying it and finding excuses for not taking it in, so with the clock running out on me being able to find alternative arrangements home (asked my company for a 1-way ticket at first) I backed out of the deal as this was too big of a red flag and the Porsche thread talked some sense into me, and even at the final price it just wasn't worth the risk of having it break down on the 24hr drive home.

So I'm back on the hunt for another.

Bajaha fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Aug 13, 2017

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Oh, I almost forgot!

Because of the previous owners paperwork skills, the Blue Porsche in the previous post is actually mine. As part of receiving the deposit, the seller had filled out the entire bill of sale instead of just the deposit receipt portion, indicating that he had received full final payment of the vehicle and is transferring ownership to me, as well as scanned copy of the registration papers.

So yeah, funny enough it's technically mine.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Cool trip! I was across the water from that, at the West Quoddy Head lighthouse in late July. Easternmost point in the US.

Would have loved to see the tides at the Bay of Fundy, but didn't plan ahead for passports, or really have time. We'll cross the boarder one day.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

angryrobots posted:

Cool trip! I was across the water from that, at the West Quoddy Head lighthouse in late July. Easternmost point in the US.

Would have loved to see the tides at the Bay of Fundy, but didn't plan ahead for passports, or really have time. We'll cross the boarder one day.

You're aware that the Bay of Fundy includes Eastport Maine, right? I mean, it's not the Minas Basin, but the tide is crazy and there's a whirl pool, sadly diminished since they put in the causeway.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

sharkytm posted:

You're aware that the Bay of Fundy includes Eastport Maine, right? I mean, it's not the Minas Basin, but the tide is crazy and there's a whirl pool, sadly diminished since they put in the causeway.

As I recall, our trip was timed poorly to see any action in any case. Our destination was the lighthouse, and the weather turned ugly as soon as we finished up there.

Just because I want to say it -Maine is loving boring and I doubt I will rest my head there again.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat

angryrobots posted:

As I recall, our trip was timed poorly to see any action in any case. Our destination was the lighthouse, and the weather turned ugly as soon as we finished up there.

Just because I want to say it -Maine is loving boring and I doubt I will rest my head there again.

I differ. Acadia is stunning.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Wrar posted:

I differ. Acadia is stunning.

Quick Google confirms, the place is definitely picturesque.

That's what I loved about the Maritimes, all the little villages along the coast were so colorful, bright red's, yellows, whites, greens, and blues all with that distinctive siding. Anywhere you looked it was picture worthy. And the twisty back roads with hilarious speed limits at least compared to what I'm used to in the prairies. There was a few times where going the speed limit felt like a racetrack in the rental. We have straight as an arrow roads in the prairies with great visibility marked at 50km/h while here it was winding coastal roads with blind corners everywhere and driveways connecting to the street with 80km/h limits, was a shock at first.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Bajaha posted:

Quick Google confirms, the place is definitely picturesque.

That's what I loved about the Maritimes, all the little villages along the coast were so colorful, bright red's, yellows, whites, greens, and blues all with that distinctive siding. Anywhere you looked it was picture worthy. And the twisty back roads with hilarious speed limits at least compared to what I'm used to in the prairies. There was a few times where going the speed limit felt like a racetrack in the rental. We have straight as an arrow roads in the prairies with great visibility marked at 50km/h while here it was winding coastal roads with blind corners everywhere and driveways connecting to the street with 80km/h limits, was a shock at first.

That was what I expected, was hoping for. Most of hwy 1 to the north of Maine is anything but scenic, or twisty, or maintained. Anything interesting is constrained into small touristy areas that are slam-packed with insufferable Midwesterners, and local Mainers who hate everyone who isn't a Mainer. A short season to sell lobster rolls of dubious and varying quality to corn-fed out-of-towners who couldn't tell the difference.

Acadia is definitely scenic, and we stayed in a cabin right on the coast across from Bar Harbor so I got a good look. I have zero desire to return, and I say that as a person who loves coastal areas.

It's Myrtle Beach with lobster puns and more book stores. I think you visited the better side of the boarder. :)

Blaise
Sep 10, 2003
Welcome back!!! I remember the Baja.

The 987 bit is very interesting as I've been eyeing them for a bit. I drove a 981 was blown away by how much better it was than anything else I had ever driven, and the 987 is very similar but can be had for VERY little money (sub 20k stateside).

I've been reading that the IMS isn't really an issue and they're for the most part reliable if you keep them well maintained. Any recommendations on what to look for? I thought only the cayman had a decently sized trunk (both have same frunk right?)

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Blaise posted:

Welcome back!!! I remember the Baja.

The 987 bit is very interesting as I've been eyeing them for a bit. I drove a 981 was blown away by how much better it was than anything else I had ever driven, and the 987 is very similar but can be had for VERY little money (sub 20k stateside).

I've been reading that the IMS isn't really an issue and they're for the most part reliable if you keep them well maintained. Any recommendations on what to look for? I thought only the cayman had a decently sized trunk (both have same frunk right?)

Yeah, the IMS apparently affects around 8% of all 987s pre-08, and anecdotally appears to be a bigger issue with garage queens than cars driven regularly. Most of the common problems from what I've seen involve the interior. The hvac controls have a soft rubber coating that disintegrates if it's exposed to any sort of hand lotion, you'll see plenty of them rubbing off by now. There isn't a really nice aftermarket solution and the factory only sells the whole unit as a piece to the tune of $500 ish CAD. The seat adjustment knobs on the upper bolsters are brittle by this age and many have cracked, replacements are $70ish USD each. The dash vents have a poorly designed vertical adjustment mechanism so they break and need to be replaced as well, replacement dash vents have the same flaw but it seems to take a few years for them to wear out so it may be worth it to replace it, price varies but around $200ish for a used set is reasonable.

The interior seems to be fairly fragile actually...

Yes the frunk is the same across all 987s

The trunk I imagine is smaller than the Cayman just due to the fact that the convertible top has to go somewhere while its down. It's not tiny by any means actually. For how small the car is it is surprisingly roomy.

Mechanically there's not too many pitfalls. Mine had 175k km by the end and I believe it was on the original suspension but it still felt amazing and blew everything else I've driven out of the water in terms of driving experience. Most seem to have some sort of oil seepage from the rear main seal area. Any metallic noises from the motor is a red flag, motors for these aren't cheap and I'm not sure I'd want to open one up anytime soon. The AOS is another thing that seems to be a common failure point, it's not too bad of a job to replace and parts are under $200ish. Mine had a little bit of smoke on startup sometimes, depending on who you ask it's either 100% normal and some have done this since about a year old while others say it's an early sign of AOS failure. If the coil packs haven't been done recently then they'll probably look like mine did when I took them out.

The convertible top mechanism has plastic ends on the support rods, these become brittle and can crack. Mine did but there is an aftermarket solution that just replaces the plastic for cheap. Easy to fix. (old in white, new in black)

The convertible top elastics also get worn out with age, I found that reinforcing them with sewing in new elastic fabric works really well. The convertible top is supposed to tuck into the channels above the door, if they're worn it won't tuck and will instead stretch over top the channel.

You can see how it folds overtop here

After reinforcing those elastics

Otherwise the headlamp sprayers are kind of a gimmick, they spray more of the entire front end rather than just the headlamps. Mine had some stiction to them and wouldn't pop the full way back down without being assisted after they've sprayed.

gently caress I miss that car :(

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

I found a potential next car.

Same Black on Black as my last one, Base model, OEM everything, one owner, full maintenance history and no accidents, 2008 with 83,5k miles in California. Minor cosmetic issues on the front (Seller mentions a light paint scuff and under bumper scraping). Clutch replaced 5k miles ago, new tires 10k miles ago. Don't have the VIN yet but it looks to have painted center caps, heated seats, auto climate control, Bose sound package and Xenon headlamps. Once I get the VIN I'll have a definite idea of what options it has.

Priced at $20,500 CAD.

If everything checks out and it passes a PPI then I think it might be my next car.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Well, It's Roadtrip time!

The car checks enough boxes for me, the maintenance history is impeccable (every 5k miles serviced with all recommended services at the appropriate intervals) and everything I would have wanted to do on it has been done recently (pads, rotors, brake sensors, brake fluid change, tires, AOS, plugs, intake and cabin filters, clutch, flywheel, slave cylinder, crank seal).

So with that, while I find my way through the maze that is importing a vehicle from the US to Canada, I'm planning a road trip!

Plan is to arrive there on Friday, September 8th, begin the journey home on the 9th and make across the border on the 12th, which gives me 4 days to make over 3200km. The western united states are a mystery to me, so I would love to hear suggestions of what to see, where to stop, and what to avoid along the route. I know we have a lot of West Coast goons around so please, bestow your wisdom onto me :911:

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Congrats.

Nevada is boring as hell but Utah is stunningly gorgeous in some areas. If you can spare the time and adjust your route, go through Bryce, Zion, Staircase-Escalante. Hell, I might even be making a Bryce/Moab trip in that timeframe. If you see a blue legacy with Alberta plates good chance its me.

Also, if you want to swing a little further north get into Wyoming via West Yellowstone and the Beartooth it's a good time of year to do it, the crowds really die down after this long weekend. It would be a nice run in the Porsche.

Heck, you could even take in the Hoover dam and Grand Canyon with some slight detours. There is a ton of poo poo to see in the west.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
Yeah, go see the tetons, yellowstone, and drive over beartooth pass. That bit you have through WY and ND would really suck, and while you do have to go through ND no matter what, a little detour will make it better.

Blaise
Sep 10, 2003
I'm happy to make suggestions - but please follow them. It drives me nuts when people have trips planned through the western US and just blast by it all.

No offense to the person above but Yellowstone is a maze of minivans. You can easily get stuck for 5-6 hours in traffic if there's a lot of animals that day. And the 25mph speed limit is rough. I was there in October.... if I wasn't on a bike I would have never made it through.

First - Drive through Death Valley. The drive through ALONE is worth it. I can't post a pic because it's so amazing you won't get it until you're there.

2nd - you MUST MUST MUST take route 12 through UT. You are going to be crying with joy blasting through there in a Porsche. It's the stuff dreams are made of. I've been through there on my KTM sportbike and my Xterra and even so I was loving it. The western US is unbelievably beautiful.

Since you're on a schedule I know you dont have much more time than that or I could suggest roads all day. But please please please check out Death Valley and Rt 12. :) If you can spare more time, I'd cut east in UT and drive through Colorado. RT550 is... there are no words.

Do you own a radar detector? You may want to consider one. If they're illegal in Canada just Paypal me a deposit and I'll mail you my ValentineOne, free of charge, to use until you can mail it back before you cross the border.

Blaise fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Aug 29, 2017

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

I go to Yellowstone often and yes, the traffic can be insane but after labor day it quiets down significantly. I've never been stuck in traffic for anything remotely like 5 or 6 hours and I've probably been there 5 times the past 5-6 years in either September or before June. Yes it is still possible to run into heavy traffic at any time, especially if there are animals near the road but it's not that bad. Either way, like you said you don't go to these areas to just "blast by it all" - and you certainly don't go to Yellowstone to do the loop road at 90mph. You go for some of the most incredible scenery on the continent and see things you aren't going to see anywhere else. That said, Beartooth is the NE corner (IE: probably least busy part of the park) and is a hell of a drive with switchbacks and massive altitude changes galore. Zion, bryce, etc is breathtaking. Driving it in a Porsche is just a bonus and it would actually be a waste of a trip to fly through many of those areas at any speeds where you actually need a radar detector.

Blaise
Sep 10, 2003
I can't remember how long it took me in October '14 but I remember passing over double yellows nonstop and a 25mph speed limit and every ranger having radar on.

I do agree about not blasting through this stuff, but we're talking about a very short, very fast trip. So doddling along at 25 will use up precious time... thus the suggestion of sticking to faster roads with less traffic :)

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
I'm jealous of your vacations and your upcoming road trip!

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Thanks for all the suggestions guys!

So far I'm thinking of this route:

LA -> Death Valley -> Hoover Dam -> Grand Canyon -> UT rt12 -> Tetons/Yellowstone -> Beartooth pass -> 94 / Fargo then north across the border.

Tomorrow I'll spend some time with the map and figure out places to stop for the nights and what would be reasonable distance to do each day considering the tourist stops. I'm trying to book my flight to pick up the car late friday so that Saturday bright an early I can start. Looks like this will be one hell of a road trip. I'll try to squeeze in RT550 but it would involve some backtracking, tomorrow I'll probably have a better idea of just how tight I'm making this.

Slidebite - If I see you I'll wave, if you see me wave frantically and make a scene because I can be pretty blind sometimes (I suck at the subaru wave because I usually don't notice until the last second)

Blaise - Thanks for the radar detector offer, I might still take you up on it but for now I'll just have to make sure I keep an eye on my lead foot.

Ohrmazd posted:

I'm jealous of your vacations and your upcoming road trip!

This is my year of vacations, I might've mentioned it before, but I completely forgot about taking any time off last year so I had it all roll over for this year ... and I'm taking full advantage of it.

Blaise
Sep 10, 2003

Bajaha posted:

Thanks for all the suggestions guys!

So far I'm thinking of this route:

LA -> Death Valley -> Hoover Dam -> Grand Canyon -> UT rt12 -> Tetons/Yellowstone -> Beartooth pass -> 94 / Fargo then north across the border.
Blaise - Thanks for the radar detector offer, I might still take you up on it but for now I'll just have to make sure I keep an eye on my lead foot.

:D :D :D :D :D :D

Makes me super happy to see you're taking my advice. I promise you won't be disappointed. I LOVE WEST COAST ROAD TRIPS.

Be sure to post a proposed route - Grand Canyon is likely a really big detour to just get a look over the edge with the tourist buses. Not saying it won't be cool but it's certainly not going to tickle your driving-senses like 12 or 550. I'd come back and spend a week there and actually hike into the canyon :)

I live in a non-radar state (PA) and my out of state driving right now is only with my truck while towing my miata so I won't be speeding regardless. Let me know if you'd like it, should only take 2 days to ship anywhere. There's plenty of roads out west where you're going to feel silly going anywhere near the speed limit...

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Ok, so here's my proposed route:

Saturday:
Settle final payment at bank in AM, drop off rental at LAX then continue on (most likely beginning around noon?)
LAX -> Death Valley -> Hoover Dam -> Night in Bolder NV (750km)

Sunday:
Boulder -> Route 12 -> Pocatello (1,241KM)

Monday:
Pocatello -> Old Faithful -> Beartooth -> Billings (732km)

Tuesday:
Billings -> Pembina -> Winnipeg (1,314km)

As you've mentioned Grand Canyon is a little bit ways away and adds about 4-5hrs to the journey. With how tight this is already won't get to really take it in so passing it for this time I think.

Looks like I won't be able to get the paperwork in time to the border before my crossing, so plan is to drop off the car for a week's storage and pick it up the following week after all the paperwork has had time to go through the bureaucratic mess. Will be getting family to pick us up from Pembina as it's only an hour and a half drive each way.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
This is gonna be a rough one. Bring a pillow for your lumbar.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

12 hour days in any car (let alone a porch) sounds rough to my old rear end and back.

Blaise
Sep 10, 2003

Larrymer posted:

12 hour days in any car (let alone a porch) sounds rough to my old rear end and back.

I was doing it on a sportbike :)

To the OP: Route looks excellent. PM me if you need that detector... it looks like you do.

You're going to gasp when you crest the overlook into the Death Valley. It's truly stunning.

Blaise fucked around with this message at 13:43 on Sep 1, 2017

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Do yourself a favor in Utah, take Highway 9 through Hurricane, Springdale/Zion to Carmel Junction and then up 89 and 12. Staying on I15 and turning at Cedar City would be faster and you would be driving by Cedar Breaks, but driving through Zion is amazing and will get you back on 89.

slidebite fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Sep 2, 2017

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

slidebite posted:

Do yourself a favor in Utah, take Highway 9 through Hurricane, Springdale/Zion to Carmel Junction and then up 89 and 12. Staying on I15 and turning at Cedar City would be faster and you would be driving by Cedar Breaks, but driving through Zion is amazing and will get you back on 89.

Will do, just did a quick looksy with google street view and it looks stunning already.

And good news! Looks like I managed to get all the necessary paperwork in order for both the US border and CBSA/RIV so it looks like the car is crossing with me on the 12th into Canada. Just have tomorrow to pack and friday afternoon we're flying out, I'm pretty drat excited for this.

Blaise
Sep 10, 2003
We deserve an update :)

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Ya, looking forward to this update!

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Update coming tomorrow, back in Winnipeg but dead tired.

Holy poo poo that was a lot of driving

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Bajaha posted:

Update coming tomorrow, back in Winnipeg but dead tired.

Holy poo poo that was a lot of driving

And from billings east literally boring to tears. Looking forward to the update and the import process.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Bajaha posted:

Tuesday:
Billings -> Pembina -> Winnipeg (1,314km)

Is North Dakota truly as boring as it looks from that map?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib
Glad you made it back. Post pictures once you're rested so we can live vicariously.