Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Project status: Slow going and snowed in.

We had a bit of whiplash weather and had days of +20°C and then a good wet heavy snowfall by seemingly the evening, then above 0°C so it melted a little, then below 0°C so we got icicles. And so on and so on. It's all thawed out now, but other than taking off the OE springs and struts, it's just hanging. Still thinking what to do with the engine, in terms of time and effort, I'm starting to lean towards sourcing a used engine and popping it in, and dealing with the rebuild at a later date.

In other news, a big lot means big work, and we started working on prepping the area for construction.

Doggo approves all the trips to the new lot.

With that we cut down a number of the overhanging branches and leaning trees to avoid issues in the future. Our worry is that once the house and garage are there, removing those trees will be a pain and with them overhanging or being weighted towards the future home, if there is a good storm they are liable to fall onto the roof and that would be $$$$ not to mention the headache. So out comes the chainsaw and buzz it all off. Managed to avoid Youtube fame and everything went well with no damage to self or property. Sorry guys.

Unfortunately, it looks like some of the trees weren't in the best of health, we found a few that heartwood rot and two which were ravaged by carpenter ants. Looking closer at what's remaining, we'll trim off any branches where there is exposed inner wood or the bark looks damaged. It'll mean more trimming that we hoped but if they're not healthy I would rather take them down in a controlled fasion rather than letting things go naturally, and potentially falling on the new home.

Didn't really take a good before pic, but this is about as good as it gets from my earlier shots of the place:

Otherwise, some more shots of the doggo:

(the bigger the stick, the better)

Also, we've planted about 18 evergreens so far, and will likely plant a few more today. Will probably remember to take pictures eventually...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

The vacant lot you are building on has turf? It looks like it's a park or something.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Indeed it does, it's got a manicured lawn, turns out it also has a sprinkler system, and the groupings of gorgeous mature evergreens. It used to be part of a larger estate, was never consolidated into a single property so while the historic home beside it was sold, this remained with the original owner and was sold to us.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
Very beautiful land!

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Thank you! The more we visit the lot the more we fall in love with it. I feel we made the right choice.

Continuing on with the yardwork. We're now up to 25 trees planted, a nice mix of fir, spruce, pine, and a few tamarack thrown in the mix for fun.

With a bunch of new saplings it means we need to water them regularly. When transplanting we always mark north on the trees and make sure to plant them in the same orientation, and they need a proper good soak to ensure the roots get the water they need, not a light watering. With no well on the lot yet, and it's annoying running to the river to grab water, we bring our own from our rain water barrels at home. 25 trees means 25 4L containers of water.

And yes, I'm very much of the mind that if I have a practical vehicle, it's going to be used like a practical vehicle. You can fit a good number trees in this thing.

We'll likely continue for the next few weeks before trees start their growing season, in our experience transplanting works best in the early spring. Otherwise, as mentioned previously we were disappointed to see some of the trees we had to clear out having these health issues. It's good in the sense that the diseased tree was cut, but not great in that it looked OK from the outside so the health of the others is suspect.

Heartwood rot:

Carpenter Ant damage (or termite, I'm no expert). We did not see the occupants so they're either gone, or residing in something else nearby.

And do we have any arborists in the house? We saw this on a number of the smaller limbs. It kinda looks like heartwood, but darker than I would expect and the twigs 'snap' pretty well which I wouldn't expect from healthy trees. Also, these are small branches, I wouldn't expect to see heartwood until they thicken up more.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Taking a break from all the home developments, I have a minor aesthetic dilema...

A while back I installed yellow LED foglamps. These are about as yellow as I've seen LED bulbs go, but they still had a tinge of that green to them. This irrationally bugged me.

Sleuthing around online, it looks like adding some yellow film can help cut out some more of the blue giving you a more yellow light. I tried yellow film and it actually seemed more green than without. No bueno. So next step was to put in amber film and fire 'er up.

That did the trick. Output is obviously reduced than the no-film option, but eh, I prefer the rich yellow color and can accept the reduced performance from the foglamps.

The full amber foglights are growing on me, but looking closer at the fogs there is a natural area that can be used as a cut-line to do a split between the clear and the film area. Some quick photoshop later, and well I'm torn...

leaning towards the full amber look...

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Bajaha posted:

leaning towards the full amber look...

Looks the best of the 3, IMO. But you know what they say about opinions.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Suburban Dad posted:

Looks the best of the 3, IMO. But you know what they say about opinions.

Yours are correct and clearly the best choice? :v:

Captain McAllister
May 24, 2001

The amber split and full amber make both look like turn signals, and look very...90s.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Captain McAllister posted:

The amber split and full amber make both look like turn signals, and look very...90s.

Yeah. Try to find some Selective Yellow lamps. I'm sure some French company still makes some in whatever lamp style you need.

Fun fact: Selective Yellow is not in the sRGB gamut, so no computer monitor can accurately depict its color, and very very few cameras can accurately capture its color.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

There's a company called lamin-x that makes films for fog lights and I've been considering doing mine in yellow, but I'm at a loss as to why. Would you let me know the benefits of having yellow fog lights please?

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk
Looking awesome is the best benefit imo, but supposedly it’s easier on our puny human eyes and has less glare. I wanna do it too.

BMW loving up a lot of things lately but the green and gold with yellow halos M5 CS isn’t one of them.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

gently caress green cars, they can stay in the 90s

E: Perhaps it was the wine talking. I got so tired of every 2nd vehicle being forest green metallic in the 90's that I'm happy most cars these days are not that color. I had a graygreen metallic E46 once upon a time, and that was the last time I had a green car. I just don't dig green on cars unless it's like acid green on a lambo. Frankly I'm not a fan of green in general unless it's on plants, then I like it. Now every car is a shade of grey and I have no strong feelings one way or the other. Anyway, that's my ted talk on green cars, thanks for stopping by. I also don't like maroon on cars either. Now, lurid blues? That's another matter altogether.

BloodBag fucked around with this message at 21:13 on May 23, 2021

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

:lol: that's a weird thing to hate. Dark Greens can be gorgeous.

Out of curiosity Bajaha, has your contractor come to you with any pricing "adjustments" due to the construction/material craziness in North America? I don't know anyone else in the process of a new build right now. I know a couple other people who want to but now the plan to wait this out.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

BloodBag posted:

Mods?!

Green cars rule.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

The yellow vs white fog light thing has been argued for decades, from my understanding of it the benefits come from, as mentioned, how we process light. The argument for rayleigh scattering (what makes the sky look blue) is incorrect as the droplet size in ground level fog is well above the wavelength of the light involved so rayleigh scattering is not a factor.

The main contributor making the yellow light 'better' is how our eyes focus light. Contrary to what you may believe, the refractive index of a material is not constant for all wavelengths, it will vary based on the wavelength of the incoming light. While the graph below does not show the refractive index of your eye, it follows the same general trend of higher refractive indices at lower wavelengths.

This phenomenon is what causes chromatic aberration. Because the refractive index appears to be different for the different wavelengths, the light will separate based on wavelength as it will be bent ever so slightly differently from the other wavelengths. The below is an exaggeration, but the general idea is shown. Chromatic aberration can be reduced by adding more complex lenses (aspherical, multi-element, etc). This is why high-end camera equipment is $$$$, there is a lot of science in there.

Well, our eyes are pretty much just lenses projecting onto a sensing element. Our rods and cones detect light and send signals to our brains which interpret it. Greens and yellows are focused properly on the back of your eye, Reds are focused beyond the back of your eye, and blues are focused in front of the back of your eye.

Cutting out the blues makes it easier for your eye to focus the incoming light, the blue also stimulates our eyes differently and causes a increased glare response. I believe that comes from the chromatic aberration which causes a 'blurred' image of the blues and having it stimulate a single type of cone in eyes.

Other than that, yeah, it's aesthetic, but there is some science behind yellow being better on the eyes than blue light.

Also, yes Green cars are good.

Re: contractor pricing. We are acting as our own GC and engaging the trades directly, as such I don't a single 'price' for the home, and actually still gathering quotes for various things. I did get a quote for the EPS envelope which was higher than expected, but we'll get comparable for traditional construction and make some choices from there. I know talking with others who just bought a new home (from a developer that is building up a neighborhood) and their contract stipulated a max increase which they've hit ($10k iirc over their initial price) and going off of comparables it looks like it would be a $50k increase for their home (1300sqft split level cookie cutter style)

I think we'll have to wait it out a little. It might make sense for the envelope as EPS foam and metal studs shouldn't have skyrocketed, but the interior will have to wait until we get more normalized. Will be gathering concrete and earthwork quotes once we have the grading plan sorted out with the geotech engineer next week.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Our family friends had the (very new, very dumb) builder cancel their contract and pay the $10k penalty, rather than eat the lumber price increase above the contractual overage. Whether or not that penalty cheque is gonna clear now that the builder presumably has no projects on the go is the big question mark.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

BloodBag posted:

Watch yer self bub :cop:

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

BloodBag posted:

I can understand BMW hate but green cars.....?

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

I can understand BMW hate but green cars.....?

Yeah, green cars are the best.

Case in point:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PG3ZGF2vSTw

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk
Best green on sale right now.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Few updates! (cellphone photography because :effort:)

It's been warm enough to get the convertible out and about, so that's what I've been doing. Climbed onto a rooftop to get this shot.

As for what I was doing on a rooftop, I was watching some people do some things with a pump.

My inner perfectionist got the better of me and I replaced both headlights with brand new OE units. IT LOOKS LIKE NEW NOW.

Also, like it was made in the 90's. I actually quite like the amber fogs, not sure why but it tickles my fancy.

Also, being film, removal is just some heat and pulling so if I ever get bored of it, off it goes. With the lights looking new, and the cowl being new, I forgot to buy this small piece and it was bugging me and well, not it's better. The Cali sun is not kind to plastics.

Enough about the fun one, onto the family hauler. It came due for another oil change and did a few more things after.

Did the diesel filter and the air filter at the same time. Lots of little clips to remove to get to these, but surprisingly simple to do. I was expecting more of a pain but easy peasy. Of course this stuff is hidden behind the 'Intermittent service' to scare you to the dealer but this was an easy way to save a few hundred $$$. Basic schedule I've read is every second oil change to replace the diesel filter.

Did some driving and the highway mileage, it is :whatup:

Otherwise been spending a good amount of time at the lot so I will be posting some updates in my home thread soon-ish.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Was someone running a portapower?

new OEM headlights would be great, even with my eggs, but they are *horrifically* expensive. I just can't justify it to myself. Did you get a deal on them somewhere?

Also, I have no problem with the ambers, even for tail signals on the 996. Just works for the vintage, and with the black.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

I was witnessing some hydrostatic pressure testing on CO2 refrigerant piping. It was cool to see in the sense that the gauge went high and we're talking about some pretty crazy pressures but boring in the sense that without the gauge there's no indication of what's happening, which is good because it means the welds were all good. It was initially going to be pneumatic testing but the energies involved meant we would have to clear the building and surrounding area and in the event of a failure the energy released would have potentially leveled the building according to the initial test procedure document that was commissioned. Thankfully the manufacturer accepted hydrostatic testing and it made things much much safer.

FCP Euro had a clearance deal on one headlight and I found a good deal on the other on eBay from Eastern Europe so while still insanely priced, the blow was a little bit reduced. We're still talking buying a decent beater vehicle though with what these cost. Also, was buying just the bare headlamps without ballasts, as mine are perfectly fine and the ballasts are also eyewateringly expensive.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Life is busy.

I remember posting about thinking I had time for a project car. Yeah...

there's sound.
https://i.imgur.com/Txnykgh.mp4

First and foremost, we went from this:

To being full fledged parents with our very own bundle of joy.

Parenthood is challenging and the amount of time I thought I would have was severely overestimated. Eh, we learn from our mistakes. Overall the miracle of childbirth went about as well as we could have hoped, it went very very quickly and is a good story we'll have. The evening of we actually spent a relaxing time at our property fishing.

Anywho... onto car related updates, as it's been a while. I bought a tilting utility trailer for a decent price and immediately added an electric winch to automate the tilting process. It'll hopefully serve us well with the upcoming build. It's already been useful transporting a lawn tractor so we don't have to borrow our neighbors all the time. It's a 2013 model, galv construction with a wooden floor, and new bearings and tires. Pulls well enough from what I can tell.

Prior to the whole drought like conditions we had some bonfires to clear out the small trimmings and whatnot.

And still spending a good amount of time running the hose around and pumping water onto all the new trees. It's been super dry here for the last month and a bit, actually seems to be that everywhere as there are a bunch of forest fires across the country.

The forester pictured is actually at the dealer now, we've been having an issue with a leaky crank seal which originally started while it was in warranty. The one they replaced lasted two years, then the replacement lasted 4 months, and the last replacement lasted some weeks. They brought in some head hauncho from Subaru of Canada / America and they assessed that it needs a new crank due to excessive play. Thankfully it's being covered as the original issue presented in warranty, and it's getting a new shortblock. Gotta say, the dealer has been pretty good at handling this one so far, they even gave a courtesy car while we wait for the block to come in.

Speaking of shortblocks... I bought a shortblock! with heads! so... a long block. Well more like complete engine without accessories.

Welcome home little engine, welcome home. It'll be some work to get it dressed up, but this will be much easier than mucking about with a rebuild with a newborn at home. Plan is to keep it stock(ish) for now, get the car running it's own power, then re-asses and potentially build the knocking engine into something that can handle good power. That's the back-of-the-napkin plan at least.

Now, with an engine... I need some way to remove my old one and put this one in. I can't just hulk it into place so... time for more purchases!

Older gentleman had this in his garage, did one engine swap on his classic impala that needed a motor due to an oiling issue. He listed it for a very reasonable amount, I gave him asking and picked it up a few hours after he posted it on Kijiji. So the baby hauler converted back into an equipment hauler and away we go.

I've also gone full :homebrew: and I feel like I should own shares in RockAuto, RallySportDirect, and some slightly more local tuning shops. So hopefully the momentum keeps up and there will be progress on the impreza.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

I might have mentioned it, but maybe not. Who knows. You get to read it again and experience Deja-vu if I have.

This spring I had my car pelted with gravel/sand by an enthusiastic motorist that was passing me on the highway. Lifted bro-truck with mudding tires (un)surprisingly enough makes for a very effective sand blaster when the plows coming through leave a nice little mound of the grit on the centerline.

This meant that my bumper, driver side doors, and hood got a respray. So the decals had to be redone. For a while the Cayenne was running around mostly naked.

That wouldn't do, and as I really liked what the Cayenne had, I thought might as well make it a full set and have fun with it. (photo dump coming... ye be warned)

With the Cayenne being redone, I got him to better line up how it meets the rear wheel. Now that is pretty much perfect in my eyes.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

And last, but not least. I've rethought the garage, and I think the latest revision is much better than what I had before.

As the parking lifts are future, I went ambitious with the cable actuated bendpak. I like it simply because it's only 4 posts and gives the most open footprint when the platforms are lifted. If I went with two 4 posts there would be a lot of obstructions in the way with 8 posts total that the double door wouldn't really be practical anymore. The single post one seems decent as well and a much more budget friendly option, but wasn't sure if I would want to have them mirrored or both facing the same way so that the post is on the passenger side when driving into the garage.

Basement garage is more built-in shed than garage. Plan is to have it as an unconditioned space, we will need structural slab above it, in particular with the lift there, but with how the grading came out I want to utilize this space rather than have it just be fill and a retaining wall.

E: I was thinking of adding a garage toilet room with the utility sink and the toilet, then flip flopped between urinal and toilet, and now I'm thinking that it'll be best to keep it open. The sink will be for cleanup prior to entering the house if you need to use the facilities while working on something.

Also, garage mezzanine was added, and I think it would work better at the back of the garage rather than the front.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Bajaha posted:

Parenthood is challenging and the amount of time I thought I would have was severely overestimated.

Congrats! And amen to that.

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010
Congrats on the cute baby!

We thought we were prepared having already had one. Not really, but it's working out okay. Much like stuff expands to fill the space, time slips away to meet every need.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
Congrats on babby!

And the vehicles look killer

Bulk Vanderhuge
May 2, 2009

womp womp womp womp
Congrats! Baby photoshoots are just the cutest. The Martini liveries are :discourse:

Alarbus posted:

Much like stuff expands to fill the space, time slips away to meet every need.

Parkinson's law comes to mind, "Work expands so as to fill the time available for its completion.”

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib
:hfive: new dad! Ain't it great and utterly exhausting?

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

In the beginning time lost all meaning. It was a blur of existence. Things are getting better now. I recognize things like hours, minutes, day, and night. They feel ethereal but it's an improvement over having stared into the void.

Got into a groove with work from home, although with regular interruptions to help with our newborn I've been spending more time logged in to make up for the lost productivity. Still, it's nice being able to pull away whenever and told her, feed her, change her, or play with her.

Definitely feeling the tiredness wearing on me, going to see if I can get some more rest in between and recharge. I seem to get bursts of energy, and moments where anything beyond laying in bed feels like a Herculean task. Fatherhood is definitely a good feeling though.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib
Yeah, it's great. I'm sitting here, holding my son after he poo poo on me three times during bath time. Did I care? Nope, it's funny as hell. He's making the weird laughing squeaks he makes as he falls asleep and I couldn't be happier.

Unless I had more sleep and fewer backaches.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
Please enjoy every second of it - I am home today from work trying to get the kids rooms organized and the house nice - and I am just floored with emotions and regret every outgrown shirt and swimsuit that brings back so many memories that I can never get back...

Much love and happiness wished to your family and Sharky too...

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

On the flip side, kid socks and t shirts and onesies make awesome little car detaling cloths so you have an excuse not to throw them out.

Congrats man!

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Dude, I just want you to know that I'm very happy for both of you and I am glad to have met you a couple years back.

House is looking great. Totally jelly of the garage... and your lot!

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Thank you all, and likewise slidebite!

On today's update:

I stood by something very hot.

9L diesel running at full rated load for an 8hr test.

I survived eating this burger.

aptly named the hangover, although I'm not sure if it's meant as the cause or the cure.

And finally, I drove through some fog.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

With that all out of the way, we begin today with showcasing how much of a workhorse the Cayenne has been. I've been sleuthing Kijiji for home and garden materials and found some real slick deals. First up we found a good amount of tyndall stones for free. Just need to put in the sweat to load them and unload. Took two 6'x12' trailer loads a few layers deep to move it all, and even at that I suspect I might have pushed the limit of what the trailer was rated for.

For those playing at home, Tyndall stone is a bit of a local speciality. I believe it's only been found in Canada with the mine just north of Winnipeg being the place where the majority of it is mined. It's neat looking, essentially limestone with dolomite veins throughout. It was formed 450 million years ago and the veins are from the various marine animals burrowing through sediment. Neat!

https://canada.constructconnect.com/joc/news/resource/2017/10/tyndall-stone-a-bedrock-of-manitoba-architecture-1027752w

With all that work done, being a masochist I looked for more. Found a lot of landscaping bricks and managed to get the lot for all of $150. Once again sweat equity is being put in. And believe there was a lot with load. It stacks nicer but overall there is a ton more. estimated around 600 ish bricks (too tired to count it as we were going.) Ended up being a full day's work to move this stuff, three loads in the trailer and of course they were as far as they possibly could be while still being technically in the city. Not that I should be complaining, paying retail would have been easier but much much more expensive.

Overall, it's a very comfy way to move heavy things around. 10/10 would haul more stuff with it.

Which it turns out, I should do more often. I'm getting signs that I haven't driven it enough.

Speaking off... Yeah this has been sitting a bit too long...

Eagle eye viewers will notice I skipped ahead, but... first things first I needed to set the ride height on the new coilovers. They looked to have been set loooooow. I personally prefer a minor drop, so I cranked them up high and hoped for the best.

Next up was the install. You'll notice I have the Right rear on the Left side. I don't know if I was doing something wrong, these were labelled incorrectly, or what, but when I put them as marked they would interfere with the factory sway bar. The reservoir has to go to the back, forward it does not fit as it interferes with the axle. I did shuffle the sway bar to clear the one side by a mm or so, then it interfered with the other. Flipped sides and there seems to be plenty of clearance so I'll run them this way for now unless someone can tell me what I was doing wrong.

Finally after all these months it's back on 4 wheels.

Drove it over to the garage (fired right up as the battery was on a tender for the last few days). Lifted the hood and grabbed the tools and got to work.

Braap Brapp... WHERE HAS THE 10mm GONE... oh gently caress there it is :doh:

The next day, we attempt to remove the engine. Hubris. Car goes up, I go under and remove the bellhousing bolts. Car goes down, I spend the next few hours fighting it. It desperately wanted to stay in the bay.

Suns down, I'm sweaty, I'm swearing, I'm doubting my sanity. Some precision application of violence and a last ditch effort and the bastard came. Victory!

You know how surgeons mark which leg they are going to amputate and mark the other as DO NOT AMPUTATE. Idiot-proofing this in the hopes I haven't managed to level up my idiocy, I marked the flywheel.

Undressed the old engine, and made a mess in the garage. It's an organized mess at the moment. Everything has a place, and nothing is in its place. Yes. I do currently have 3 subaru engines in my garage. Why do you ask?

Well, gotta start somewhere with the new engine, might as well start from the bottom.

Internals don't look too varnished, hard to see much with subie engines, but no red flags at least. I sprayed some WD40 in the intake ports and turned it over by hand, it felt pretty even and moved nice and smooth.

Some time passes, I did some repetitive hand motions, and got it clean. The PO definitely was a little generous with the sealant.

Killer B pickup and windage tray is in, bolts torqued down. I still need to clean up the remnants of the old silicon that got into the crank area. Going to be annoying to clean... Did the pan as well but didn't take a picture, and the pan was a pain due to the dimples where the old sealant could hide.

Anyways, I have permatex red, but can't seem to find my tube of the black so going to go shopping tomorrow after work and hopefully continue. Updates should come a little quicker on this project at least.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Quick jump to the shops after work and we've got the black gasket maker. Yay!

Assembled, torqued to spec (ish, the spec is super low and my torque spec bottoms out before the specced torque, so a lightly overtorque but eh) Next up on the chopping block, timing belt.

Old one looks ok, I probably could have just chanced it but seeing as the engine is out there's little reason not to do it at this time seeing as it's relatively quick and easy.

This bearing seems to have seen better days. Probably would have gotten loud and failed in not too long so maybe it is good to do it now.

Stripped down to the skivvies and almost ready for reassembly. As you can see I've splurged and got the company23 cam tool to keep things in place while working on it, honestly it makes it easier and you can be lazier so I fully endorse this extravagance.

Side by side with the new AISIN water pump. Key difference is I'm deleting the oil/water heat exchanger so I don't need the 3rd port. Ordered the WRX version of the kit as suggested and we're all set. Quality seems comparable to the OE one, slightly rougher casting but same impeller construction and not many differences to note.

Boom, new stuff on and belt routed. timing marks are all bang on.

With that all buttoned up it's time to jump to the plugs and coils. Plugs look relatively healthy. Likely this was unnecessary but having done these with the engine installed, this was much much easier.

Bougie indeed, these NGK's are some new super fancy precious metal. Stand back irridium, there's a new girl in town.

Some marketing material from NGK, supposedly these are the cats pajamas. They were a decent price on rockauto so I guess I'll be a bit of a guinea pig.

They do have a bit of an interesting look to them, hoping it's not a gimmick, but eh, if they work they work.

Sadly, can't find either of my borescopes so didn't take any pictures or even a good look at the cylinders. Eh, we'll find out soon enough. With plugs in and torqued it's time for new coils. Nice set of delphi's and we're good to go.

That concludes today's work, tomorrow going to tackle the AVCS solenoid that the new motor is missing.

Also, my baby appears to have become much hairier than I remember. Is this normal?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Nice. What's the reasoning for deleting the oil cooler/warmer (Assuming that's what that port is for)?