Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

That was a good trip, actually will be running past your general vicinity this Friday, doing a long drive to Kelowna in one go, and then will be coming back over three days on the following Monday. Going to be a bit of a drive for sure.

Well, some updates, I have the Boxster back and the bill definitely hurt a little. All in, the diagnosis, control module, power steering line replacements, AOS replacement, Intake harmonic butterfly tube replacement, and air filter came to just over $5k. Buuuut, my involvement was just swiping a credit card so it's nice to have it sorted with little time and effort committed. With how busy life has been I wouldn't have had the time to deal with all those items so I'm learning to accept it.

In any case, when I took the car out this season I noticed I had misplaced a box high up in the garage and sometime during winter a small box with misc. bits and bobs fell on the car and cracked the spoiler. So, every tragedy being an opportunity, I did some retail therapy and ordered a spoiler from Germany a good few months back. Carbon Fiber (Fibre?) even.

Without further adieu:

Old and Busted (in a tiny spot that you can easily miss if you aren't looking for it)

High and Proud

This was actually a lot easier than I thought. Literally three clips and two 13mm nuts and voila, it's off.

And new fibery goodness installed

:dong:

Pretty pleased with the result and definitely helps me forgot about the recent expense on getting it sorted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Well, if you're spending the night in the area drop a line and we can meet up for a drink. Will probably be getting together with some friends either Fri or Sat PM but PROBABLY Sat so Friday should be free.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

It ended up being a straight cannonball style run to Kelowna, unfortunately we'll have to catch up another time.

That said, this long of a drive was a mistake. Did it once and never again.

Screenshot from Insta

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Is this thread still alive?

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Yes, yes it is.

Alright, so life is exciting, the bureaucratic process is as arduous and painful as everyone jokes. We're 15 months into applying for permits for the new home and just now we are getting to place where we see a finish line.

In the meantime and as a little 'treat-yo-self' (and also because I lack a single 'project' car into which to channel my energy) I bought some parts and as my CPO warranty was coming up in a few months I figured why wait?

ASSUME THE POSITION

Unscrew first, ask questions later.

... maybe ask questions first...

Goddamn rusty piece of poo poo.

YOU WILL YIELD

Apparently when you spend a few thousand dollars, a $5 gasket is too much to include with the kit. Nobody has a gasket for this in the city, so Make-a-Gasket it is. Work in progress photo, wish I took a finished photo, turned out passable, but definitely not my finest arts and crafts moment.

There were these two lines that attached to the DPF, they look like fuel lines, I assume there's some sort of injection occuring here for regen? I assumed it all happened with the high pressure injectors via timing trickery but I guess not?

New and shiny :sparkles:

And so free flowing.

And now we enlist some pixies to make it all happy again. And also GAINZ

Butt dyno says it's got more grunt and seems to accelerate more effortlessly than before. Time will tell how it does. Supposedly it's up to 305hp / 490lb-ft according to the marketing fluff.

To do:

Disassembly of intake and liberal application of solvent and mechanical stimulation to remove potential carbon. Not my image below but apparently that's from a model that's right around my mileage so I got the fear of carbon in me and want to take it all apart and clean.

EGR block off plates to have a physical removal instead of just software.

Install gauges for monitoring EGT's and Trans temps, although I went a little overkill and will have some additional values available so I hope I just don't make it overwhelming and useless.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

Do you think you'll end up needing to upgrade the transmission cooler once you can keep an eye on temps? The transmission is the same across all trim levels, right? So you're still technically below the maximum engineered torque for it?

Also, how nerve wracking was the process of flashing the tune? I'm going to guess: very.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Very is definitely correct. Especially since I come from the land of subaru and Cobb tuning which seems much more refined than this tuner. This had a much more homebrew feel to it. To give you a better idea, the program for pulling and loading tunes/logs/etc from the tuning device is straight to the point with zero fluff. No program menu ribbon, no way to close beyond closing the program window, just click what you're doing, get a default looking user interface.

The car also does a lovely series of error messages and warning chimes as you're programming. It also takes about 5 minutes which seems like an eternity when you're sitting there watching the progress bar on the screen and the cluster freak out.

As for the trans, I can't really tell if it's all the same. There's 28 part numbers for the trans from 2011-2018 Cayennes, the parts catalog doesn't really note anything so differences may be different ratios, the variants for the hybrid models, or just minor updates as some list 2015+ or 2016+. Looking online there doesn't seem to be any definite info on whether there are strength differences between models. It's an Aisin TR-80SD trans, and they're rated up 850nm / 627 lb-ft of torque, which is coincidentally the torque rating for the Cayenne S diesel which was a euro/asian market exclusive with a turbo diesel V8. There's no mention of a lower rating so maybe they're all essentially rated the same?

In any case, I can't really see anything online that would indicate the trans is a weakness. As long as I keep an eye on the temps and treat it with mechanical sympathy I should be good. If it turns out I need extra cooling then yeah, it'll be time to look at options. My main concern is towing since a long sustained load will get everything toasty and with the tune I want to make sure I'm not getting things too hot. \

Went for a good long drive last night, and when everything is up to temp and it's a brisk -8°C, starting from a stop giving it an application of binary throttle it definitely presses you much harder into the seats. :getin:

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

After a bit with the delete and the tune, I'd say it's worth it. Under full throttle EGT's do rise above 800°C / 1400°F so I'm not sure it's all that safe of a tune, but as long as I don't pin it the EGT's stay within what seems like normal limits.

I had some late nights at work and some really foggy weather on the way home. We had a bit a scandal in the city wherin the new streetlights have a defect and the LED chips are shedding their phosphor coating, causing them to emit a rather strong blue light. Makes for nifty photos at least, and an unintentional study on how blue light affects criminal activity I guess. A huge number of these have popped up all around the city.

It finally got warm enough (and snow was finally gone) so I swapped over to summer tires.

The centercaps are a wear item, between carwash chemicals, road debris, and who knows what else, they wear out. The OE ones last about 3-4 years in my experience, the el cheapo knockoffs from overseas last about a season. The OE are at a cost of $200+ per set, the knock offs are $20. It's cheaper to just replace them every season change than pay for an OE set that will look worn 1/2 way through their life anyway.

And I bought another Porsche! an EV even! Thankfully this 918 Spyder wasn't too crazy of an expense, and we have a little motorhead terrorizing the neighborhood already.

I've also found out I really need a cheap project car to have an outlet, currently that's missing from my life and with the stress of the house build and just life in general, I've splurged a little on retail therapy. Ya'll knew I was a knob, but now I've got two bigger ones.

And ooooh. it did not stop there. The side vents on the Boxster are pretty much always grey (I don't know if it was an option to get these body coloured) and while I do like that they stand out against the black, they are a little basic.

Instead, you can get these aftermarket carbon fiber ones, which have a little more scoop to give a more aggressive look. I don't buy that they do anything for performance.

Another mod is to "de-snork" the intake. Essentially the intake on these cars pulls fresh air from the side vent. To help prevent water and debris from making it to the filter these have a baffle plate over the intake tube. This is 100% an acoustic mod, it does zip for performance and probably makes it worst in the rain. In any case, removing the baffle and straightening out the air path lets more of the induction noise through and said noise is pleasing.

The mesh of the side vent should stop the bigger bits of debris, and I got a nice 3D printed cover that goes in place of the baffle that has a honeycomb grille and the 987 Boxster lettering on it for a subtle feature.

Now for even more fun, Steering Wheels! First up the Cayenne. There is a really nice little access panel in the carpet that when lifted allows access to the negative battery cable. Removing this cable essentially kills power to the electrical systems without having to remove the front seat. So with the car made safe and no longer worrying about having an airbag say HI! during the work, I go on.

Popping the airbag out is as easy as using two small screwdrivers to push in two retention springs. They clamp around the two spikes seen in the photo below to hold the bag in place. A surprisingly simple solution.

Next up, once that's all unplugged, it's a 12mm triple square to remove the wheel nut.

Bing Bang Boom, it's off.

Stripped my wheel down to its skivvies and got started on dressing the new wheel. Same size, still heated, but with a nicer perforated leather on the main surfaces and a fancy little band showing top center.

Put it all back together (litterally you only use T25 torx bit to dissasemble this down to component parts. Every single screw. Again pleasantly surprised that it's consistent and not the typical "EXACTLY THE SIZE YOU NEED FOR THE APPLICATION, NO YOU GRAB 5 DIFFERENT SOCKET SIZES YOU MECHANIC PROLE"

Now onto the fun one. This is changing to a completely different steering wheel and while I read it was a relatively simple swap, I wasn't 100% sure what I was getting into.

The airbag comes out with a single screwdriver pushing on a retention spring.

The steering wheel bolt is exaclty the same 12mm triple square bolt. Eagle eyed viewers will also notice, and this surprised the hell out of me, the clockspring has the exact same plugs as the newer style. It has the plug for a heated steering wheel, and the airbag / rest of the controls go through the exact same plug. It is literally plug and play.

And just like that, I went from a 987/997 sport steering wheel, to a 991.2 GT wheel.

Again, very pleasantly surprised how painless this swap is. No error messages, no issues with airbag compatibility, it just literally is plug and play. I really like the look of this generation steering wheel, and I like how even with a few generations between them, the steering fits the interior, in my opinion at least.

Also, finally got a new front plate for the Cayenne, and I guess a back plate as well

Voltage
Sep 4, 2004

MALT LIQUOR!
Its amazing how much a new steering wheel makes the whole car feel new again - great work!

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Don't know how well it'd hold up, but I'd throw some PPF on those center caps to see if that buys you a few more years. Should be stupid easy to do.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Agreed on the wheel, and it being right in front of you and constantly touched, it has a massive impact of the "feel" of the car.

With the house build going now I likely won't have any spare funds for a while so the mods keep keep the cars feeling fresh.

As for ppf, I'm not sure it'll work that well. The emblem is embossed so any film would need to be really thin to go into the crevices, otherwise you end up with a small void that'll likely fill up with dirt. Might give it a go if I find some clear film laying around but I don't think it's worth the expense and effort as the sets are cheap as chips when ordering a couple sets off aliexpress or whatever your favorite online marketplace for cheap knickknacks is.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Does clear plastidip exist?

Though ultimately if they're that cheap to replace, that's the way to go.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Vanity, thy name is thyself!

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Jesus loving absolute goddamn fuçk. I've had this car for less than a week

GWBBQ fucked around with this message at 07:10 on Jul 29, 2023

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

I think you're in the wrong thread mate.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Bajaha posted:

Vanity, thy name is thyself!

This is still just a great livery. Do you ever feel silly driving it or just always awesome?

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

I may look silly at times, but the feeling is always awesome. Only real downside is that I no longer blend in anywhere anymore.

And yeah, wrong thread mate... and ouch, self inflicted or mysteriously appeared when parked up somewhere?

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Bajaha posted:

I may look silly at times, but the feeling is always awesome. Only real downside is that I no longer blend in anywhere anymore.

And yeah, wrong thread mate... and ouch, self inflicted or mysteriously appeared when parked up somewhere?

Let me assure you the only time it looks silly is when you're driving slow.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Was out helping a friend at his new lot and he brought his drone out, so while he did some work in a bobcat I took flight and took some photos

I was on the fence about wanting a drone, but after playing with his, I'm starting to seriously window shop them.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

I've succumbed to peer pressure and now have my own expensive flying toy.

And the aerial view of the matching cars is quite niiiiice as well

And it's probably going to be quiet car-wise for a little bit, the house project is the main focus and taking all my attention.

Pup as always pushing the limits of 'STICK'

Captain McAllister
May 24, 2001

What kind of drone did you get?

I got a DJI Mini 2 with the Fly More combo a year or two ago.

I used it to take aerials of my yard which I then scaled in Photoshop to figure out fire pit placement😄.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

I went a little overboard and got the DJI Mini 3 Pro, RC controller with the nice screen, Goggles Integra, and RC Motion controller for a FPV experience, plus the flymore kit, and the "I'm-an-idiot" insurance in case I accidentally think it's a submersible or something.

Tried out the goggles briefly and will need to get used to them. So far just familiarizing myself with the standard RC controller. Also started off with a hard case, 256gb SD, and screen protector for the RC controller from Amazon.

Captain McAllister
May 24, 2001

Bajaha posted:

I went a little overboard and got the DJI Mini 3 Pro, RC controller with the nice screen, Goggles Integra, and RC Motion controller for a FPV experience, plus the flymore kit, and the "I'm-an-idiot" insurance in case I accidentally think it's a submersible or something.

Tried out the goggles briefly and will need to get used to them. So far just familiarizing myself with the standard RC controller. Also started off with a hard case, 256gb SD, and screen protector for the RC controller from Amazon.

Nice! The only thing I'd suggest adding would be a set of folding landing skids - they help keep the aircraft (camera) just that much higher off of the ground, and the weight is negligible.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

http://i.imgur.com/uPbtYmF.mp4

Now my cars are more like the GT4 with golf ball dimples FOR AERODYNAMICS :shepicide:

And our public insurance workers are on strike, so it's gonna be awhile before I can even get a claim going.

Bit of a palate cleanser, little one saw me working on the mower and insisted she knew better. Sheesh, these young mechanics have some attitude.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Ouch, that sucks.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Every place is backed up and with the claims made and cars looked at, we have a mid-next-year date for getting PDR on both. I know the PDR guys can be wizards in their craft so curious to see how it comes out.

In the meantime, not much of an update other than the house project is moving along, and I took some pretty photos with the frost.

Trailer is definitely earning its keep

Otherwise it's gonna be quiet until spring in this thread.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Were you attracting methheads like flies to poo poo driving that trailer around?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Live view of the trip:

https://imgur.com/1f8N4YC.mp4