Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
IM A STUPID MORON WITH AN UGLY FACE AND A BIG BUTT AND MY BUTT SMELLS AND I LIKE TO KISS MY OWN BUTT
Gravy Boat 2k
Hello my name is Chester (named by wonderful goon: The Lord of Hats)

Pls click on my pic to see my mustache

:siren:Chester was/is a super feral cat that fell in love with me but had no idea how to live in a house. He had “owners” (?) but was clearly abused and neglected. Read the story w/ the “?” Thing on the bottom of this post, under my user picture; ie on the left, for full story.

As of Jan 2018:

As of March 2018

As of May 2018

June 7 2018: :siren: his first cat loaf :siren: :woop: :3: :3: :3: :3: :kimchi:

As of December 2018: he has become an Official House Catte

I also feel that this is important

This is my story of finding a cat and then realizing it’s feral as heck. But he’s a wonderful wonderful catte :kimchi:

original post
—Aug 13, 2017
I found a cat. You know how cats chose you? Well that happened. It started rubbing up on me, and it was totally happy being picked up. It was near a huge intersection with a ton of cars. It didn't have a tag on it. I called the nearest shelter and they said they don't accept strays but they can see if it has a microchip. it didn't. They suggested giving it to the anti-cruelty society but that's a kill shelter so that makes me nervous. Currently it's in my bathroom with a nice bed, food, water, some toys,and a litter box.it is absolutely the sweetest cat. Iteven went into the carrier easily.

I'm debating whether to keep it (I haven't sexed it yet, don't want to stress her out more.) I'm leaning on keeping it and I'm going to to the vet and get her checked out. She looked clean, normal weight, good coat.

So my questions-
-should I keep her, since there's no way to contact the owner?
-what's the best way to introduce cats?
-if this cat turns out to have leukemia (I assume they test for it?) is that a serious risk for my other cats?

I'll post pics later.

Thin Privilege fucked around with this message at 08:41 on Dec 9, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
The rest of Pet Island probably knows more about the hard stuff but if you want to find the owner and don't have a chip or collar, your best bet's sticking up a few fliers in the area, or hoping they do the same. If there's no chips or collar there's a chance there's no owner or it's a crappy one, but that's just speculation, could just be an old person or something.

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
IM A STUPID MORON WITH AN UGLY FACE AND A BIG BUTT AND MY BUTT SMELLS AND I LIKE TO KISS MY OWN BUTT
Gravy Boat 2k
I'm thinking it's an intentional outdoor cat i.e. Didn't escape on its own because it had a collar with a bell on it. My worry is then that if they get the cat back, they'll just put it back outside. :/

Oh and update: cat doesn't like me very much anymore, I tried to put Revolution on it last night because it may have fleas due to being outdoors. It wasn't very happy and scratched me good, and I don't think I got any medicine on its skin. This probably contributed to it not liking me. I know I shouldn't take it personally because it's just scared but I was nonetheless sad :(

It didn't use the litter box but instead used the bath tub. I put the poo in the litter box and put A second box in The tub and foil in the sink.

I put a carrier in the bathroom and covered it with blankets so it's got a nice place to hide.

It's eating treats and ate a bit of food last night.

I put a cardboard cat scratcher with catnip on it in the bathroom.

Thin Privilege fucked around with this message at 14:50 on Aug 14, 2017

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
Gravy Boat 2k
PICS!!!

"gently caress? There are other cats out there!!!!"

:3:

Glamor shot

Updates!

-came home, made sure to make my standard noises so he gets used to them before I went in to the bathroom with him. He came out and greeted me, rubbed my hands and legs. He's such a sweet cat, seriously.

-been opening the door a crack to let him see and smell the other cats and they him, he's been the only one growling/hissing, the others are just interested. Not super angry growl, just a standard one so I think that's going ok.

-I put a towel in his carrier and covered it with a black towel so it's his hidey cave, he goes there, I'm glad he has a place to feel safe.

-vet appointment tomorrow night

-hasn't eaten since the few nibbles last night but I'm gonna break out some canned stinky food and tuna a little later. E: brought out stinky food plus tuna, he ate like a champ. Now has proceeded to lick himself everywhere, all cat-like :3:

-doesn't seem like he's drank water but my faucet drips so it's possible he drank from there.

Thin Privilege fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Aug 15, 2017

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
Gravy Boat 2k
My only fear is that he has FIV or FeLV, I would be completely heartbroken. But luckily the shelter that helped me out getting him a carrier and stuff takes in cats with those diseases and it's a no-kill so there's always that option :/

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
Gravy Boat 2k
Three interested cats.

Cutey face

[timg]http://imgur.com/XO7JB78.jpg[/url][/timg]

E: :siren: update. He is scared to DEATH of rain.:siren: It just started raining and he FREAKED OUT, screaming and panicking. Do not make your cats outdoor cats you assholes!!! I had the window open a crack just for air so you could really hear the rain, but then I closed it and this is what happened (when he realized he wasn't going to get wet)

Don't put your cats outdoors, people.

Thin Privilege fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Aug 15, 2017

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
Gravy Boat 2k
He peed in the litter box!!! :woop: :woop: :woop:

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot

Thin Privilege posted:

My only fear is that he has FIV or FeLV, I would be completely heartbroken. But luckily the shelter that helped me out getting him a carrier and stuff takes in cats with those diseases and it's a no-kill so there's always that option :/

Aren't both of those manageable, but you just have to be careful so other cats don't get infected... oh... Well gonna keep fingers crossed then. The health of your other cats would come first, it just makes sense...

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
Gravy Boat 2k
Update: All the bad diseases negative. Vet and techs said he's a sweetheart. He is. Gonna get him neutered asap (already have appt).

Unfortunately I'm not creative with names so he's been called "little guy" and that may stick. He's about 3, I thought younger cause he's tiny but turns out he's just a small-boned cat. Teensy little butt who says "mreow".

Oh yeah he's super vocal. It is awesome :catstare:

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT

Thin Privilege posted:

PICS!!!

"gently caress? There are other cats out there!!!!"

I just wanna say besides the obvious you're awesome for doin' this and it's a cool lookin' catte, that is exactly what my phone's camera roll looks like all the time too. drat cute cats.

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
We 👏 Need 👏 More 👏 Pics!

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

Thin Privilege posted:

Unfortunately I'm not creative with names so he's been called "little guy" and that may stick.

Donnie?

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?
Nah, he looks like more of a Chester to me.

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
Gravy Boat 2k

Three-Phase posted:

We 👏 Need 👏 More 👏 Pics!

I promise to post more soon!

I'm working on introductions which is a 24-7 job. Booooy cat introductions are hard. All my other cats I adopted as kittens (yes, from a shelter) so the adults just instinctively knew to be nice to them so introductions were super easy.

I think that it's being so difficult is that I've had a bunch of cats before so the smells are INTENSE and the little guy is overwhelmed.

I'm currently having him chill in his carrier (his safe space) in the living room next to me.

:siren:Actually, can you guys read what I'm doing and criticize as necessary?

-bathroom at night/when I leave the house. Has carrier with big soft blanket in it and towel over it so it's a cave. Obviously clean food and water and he's not locked in the carrier.
-initially allowed smells through door, normal hissing ensued, but now my current cats mostly aren't bothered by him. Majority of hissing is from little guy.
-have been slowly taking him out of the bathroom in his carrier to chill with me and get used to smells. It's been pretty calm.
-he immediately, his first day of door opening, made friends with one of my other cats :3:
-when I'm taking him out to the living room the other guys are free to explore his bathroom.
-no sharing litter boxes yet--both duae to lack of fecal sample, plus little guy got upset when he smelled another cats poo when I was cleaning a different box
-petted my most irritated cat with a blanket, put zaid blanked in bathroom.

Cat nap time

I, Butthole posted:

I just wanna say besides the obvious you're awesome for doin' this and it's a cool lookin' catte, that is exactly what my phone's camera roll looks like all the time too. drat cute cats.

Thanks <3

The vet assistant is the only person that I've told the story to that was weird at me for taking him in. "Well obviously someone was taking care of him."* But That "taking care" involves letting him walk around next to dozens of hugely busy roads? And not neutering him? And having no microchip or rabies tag

*her thought process going that he's such a sweetheart and so friendly with humans means he's some caring persons cat :rolleye:
And seriously if you guys knew this neighborhood even the most adamant supporters of outdoor cats would say NONONO.

The Lord of Hats posted:

I like this name a whole lot but he doesn't have a very special chest to warrant it. I don't want "lil' buddy" to stick but it might :/ e.... I do like "chesty" as a nickname though...

Thin Privilege fucked around with this message at 06:10 on Aug 21, 2017

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
Gravy Boat 2k
Also it's been almost a week so I went back to the area and there are absolutely no "lost cat" signs, and I drove a huge radius around where I found him. :(

Clearly some real caring owners :( :(

E: In my mind their thinking was the following, because we all had outdoor cats in Russia so I know a mindset of outdoor cat people**. "He's happy being outdoors, being outdoors is good for a cat!!! and he'll come back any time he wants. If he doesn't then he died and~oh wel that's just natural, just gonna get another cat" oh yeah and not sterilize my pets so I can sell off the kittens (seriously why wasn't this guy neutered?! It's $30!)

**i mean seriously this poor guy was TERRIFIED of rain and being 3 years old he's obviously experienced a ton of it.

Thin Privilege fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Aug 21, 2017

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
Gravy Boat 2k
(Sorry for many posts)

So if I do name him Chester then I think I need to get one of those old-times twisty mustaches to put on him.

E: I started calling him Chester and 'Chesty' and he responds to it.

Thin Privilege fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Aug 21, 2017

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
Gravy Boat 2k
Just sleepin' and smilin'

Last update for the night:

He's in his room, I came in, in eye contact I called him "Chester" and he let out a huge meow. Goons.

Another edit; he's got some feral behaviors. So whoever "took care" of him didn't actually take care of him.

Plus side though: he's happily chomping down a fancy feast can. Yeah it's not good food but they all absolutely love it. 'Chicken & liver' and 'turkey and giblets.' They all go nuts for them. (Btw check out fancy feasts website for wet food, they try to make it look pretty and it's a big lol. Anyways I'm just making sure little guy eats. Now he's licking himself to get the stinky food smell all over him.

Geeze I post a lot. Here's some restitution.

A tongue

A mustache fitting someone named Chester.

Thin Privilege fucked around with this message at 06:16 on Aug 21, 2017

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
You aren't posting enough, that last one only had three pictures of Chester :colbert:.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
You're doing God's work.

I adopt formerly feral kitties wherever possible. My current younger cat doesn't mind rain sounds at all but the other month we heard a... barred owl? "who cooks for you" call outside the house and she BOOKED IT. Wouldn't come out from her hidey hole for half an hour.

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
Gravy Boat 2k
Mostly an image dump this time

Chompin' down on some dry food, and apparently he only likes to drink from a plastic Tupperware :confused:

You human aren't getting MY food!!! :catstare:

And here's the cat he immediately made friends with (through cracked door, they tried to play the paw game :3: . Cats, man.

Ps if you're worried I'm dirty cause of the yellow chunks on the floor, those are from the litter. I use Worlds Best Lavender, which is corn based, hence the color. Btw he took to it immediately. He's actually pretty good at not spraying litter everywhere. Nonetheless, I'm giving his room a good sweeping tomorrow.. I wanted to put it off so he wouldn't have the extra stress coming from the SCARY HAND BROOM :ghost: and also get him comfortable with a routine--and associate litter boxes with good things (of course he'll be in his carrier near his room and thus protected but I just want to make super precautions.)

Thin Privilege fucked around with this message at 05:48 on Aug 23, 2017

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
Gravy Boat 2k
Oh poo poo sorry it's not a pic dump. :( I'll take a bunch more soon.

Just wanna say that he's SUPER active at night. I know they say cats are nocturnal, but the rest of mine follow a human schedule (with 15 cat nap during the day). But for him, I'll come in during the day and he's fast asleep, but if I get up in the middle of the night to use the bathroom, I come into a WIDE AWAKE CAT. Of course petting and baby talk ensues. I heard a VERY loud purr today but I think he can go louder.

I also ordered another 32" sisal cat scratcher to put in his room. Ignore the 4* rating because this thing is fantastic, I've had it for mine (I have a few currently) and gifted it to a bunch of friends and both mine and their cats are obsessed with it--23 cats in all.

It's super tall.

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

I found my kendo stick, bitch!

Lipstick Apathy
This is awesome and so are you. I hope you keep the updates coming, and the pics of course.

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
Gravy Boat 2k
I wrote a long post but I know you guys want pics so I'll just say cat introductions are going better. Most are ok w him and Butters who hated him I realized he just thought I would be replacing him and not giving him attention, so I gave him lots of baby cat talk and pets and scratches and stuff !three feet away! From Chester and he was decent. Stressed but not as much as yesterday.

The rest of the cats are ok w him but still not gonna let free roaming yet because it isn't safe.

i really have to add before I post pics this poor little guy didn't know how to eat treats off the floor. He was confused. (If I give my cats treats I put them on the floor to like, make sure they know it's a treat and not actual food-like if I would put it in their food bowl it would associate it etc.) He never saw his own reflection and when he saw it in the computer monitor, he was like WTF. Then he saw my real mirror and was super confused but did eventually realize that it's him.

So whoever put that nice collar and bell on him was a piece of poo poo basically, not even mentioning the feral behaviors. BTW this guy is TINY, bone size. I thought he was around one year old but vet says around 3. He's the size of a very young teenage kitten (7.5lb and he isn't skeletal, actually looks fine). Ugh. *balls are gone now too!

I still ended up writing a lot of words anyways. Here's some pics.

****omg as I'm posting this my leader cat just straight up went to his carrier and sniffed, and both were cool :woop:

His carrier is his safe home/cave. He has my softest down blanket :3
So here's a happy, sleepy cat.

Wtf is this thing you're sticking in my face

Oh I get it you're just going to stick it in my face a lot (for tha pics)

Little hard to see the tail but he was giving the "happy" flippy tail while I was singing out his name. I have a video but I doubt you want to hear me baby talk "Chester the Bester" a bunch of times.

Thin Privilege fucked around with this message at 07:14 on Aug 28, 2017

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
Gravy Boat 2k

The Lord of Hats posted:

Also thank you for the name <3

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?

Thin Privilege posted:

Also thank you for the name <3

I'm honored that you picked it! It's clear that he's found himself a good home :3:

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
Gravy Boat 2k
I wrote an essay but decided against posting it. Summary: introducing new (adult) cats is a lot harder than I thought and interwebs says it can take months. I'm ok with that. He likes his safe place (the carrier with soft blanket within my bathroom).

I think 2 of my cats (sisters) are his distant cousins cause they look the same and were kittens of a feral cat in the same area, and they like his smell.

No pics cause they're all the same as the ones before. He's doing super good though and I'm teaching him words and his new name.

The Lord of Hats posted:

I'm honored that you picked it! It's clear that he's found himself a good home :3:

Thank you :3:

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
Gravy Boat 2k
Today we learned to headbutt! He only allowed it once but it was a :3:

Cat introductions going even better.

Pics!

(There was a fluffy cat outside the door) (the fluffy cat is former feral and didn't even need an introduction, he's cool w Chester being here).

Headbutt!

I can tell this whole situation is really hard on him. He's a very moody little guy. I'm doing my best to give love and comfort to him and time alone as needed. He loves his carrier cave.

Also he likes to meow, like when he's saying "hi" or "gimme food". I like meowy cats.

Thin Privilege fucked around with this message at 11:35 on Sep 3, 2017

porkswordonboard
Aug 27, 2007
You should get that looked at

Chester is adorable! I'm so glad you took him in. Just fyi for the future - I would have (and have in the past) done exactly what you're doing, but I would also consider checking out Facebook and Craigslist in your area for missing pet info. Whenever I see an cat outside I obsess over my local lost pet Facebook page. It seems people just don't print posters much any more, so you can't rely on that alone to locate a pet, especially as they can stray far from their original home. Just a few tips!

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
Gravy Boat 2k

porkswordonboard posted:

Chester is adorable! I'm so glad you took him in. Just fyi for the future - I would have (and have in the past) done exactly what you're doing, but I would also consider checking out Facebook and Craigslist in your area for missing pet info. Whenever I see an cat outside I obsess over my local lost pet Facebook page. It seems people just don't print posters much any more, so you can't rely on that alone to locate a pet, especially as they can stray far from their original home. Just a few tips!

I did the outside scouting but the shelter who helped me who is located like, 2 blocks from where he was found searched web-wise and other searching (i.e. seeing if someone called since they're so close). And apparently no one cared to respond/he was abandoned. It would explain some stuff he does. :(

I'm seriously surprised the impression on his neck/fur from that collar hasn't gone away yet. Hes probably been wearing it for years. My first cat wore a collar (at the time I thought a cat-safe goth collar would be funny) for a good year and the fluffiness in her neck went back to normal almost immediately.

So he for sure has been out a while.

Update: he and the aforementioned former-feral fluffy cat ate SIX INCHES from each other. Bowls of fancy feast, just next to each other in their bowls. Chester hissed eventually but it's a big step. I'm also glad fluff-butt doesn't give a poo poo.

Fancy feast turkey & giblets (or chicken and liver) flavors drive them to good places.

E: I just (yesterday) changed him from free-fed to a schedule and he's taken to it immediately--he doesn't eat a lot to begin with so that was easy. He's learning "food" "hungry" and "canned" (canned food).

Thin Privilege fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Sep 3, 2017

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
Gravy Boat 2k
Here's only cat that's being a jerk. Butters. He's a literal scaredy-cat. He likes head butts and to whisper *meow*.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Congrats on the new cat. He's a cutie.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Thin Privilege posted:

I'm thinking it's an intentional outdoor cat i.e. Didn't escape on its own because it had a collar with a bell on it. My worry is then that if they get the cat back, they'll just put it back outside. :/

So you stole someone's cat.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Lurdiak posted:

So you stole someone's cat.

if your cat is walking around on/near a major thoroughfare it's not your cat tbh

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
Gravy Boat 2k
And no rabies tag or name tag or microchip, and no one contacted local shelters or other Internet or physical means (I.e. Posters).

Like I said before he's got feral behaviors in him so he's been out a whooole lot. And the collar impression on his fur that hasn't gone away so it's been on for a loooong time. A loving bell collar isn't going to identify your cat.

Thank god he only sprayed once, the first day here. I cleaned that poo poo off the door with natures miracle and once he saw my other cats are ok he hasn't done it since.

Whoever "owned" this cat that I supposedly "stole" took poo poo care of him (and like I assume, probably abandoned). He was skinny, has feral behaviors, no identification, freaked out by his own reflection (never saw a mirror), and didn't understand how to eat treats off a floor.

Having a collar =/= means anything.

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
Gravy Boat 2k
He's learning more about the camera. He has now learned "cat face due to camera flash"

I honestly felt bad after taking this, it's a funny pic but I won't harass him more with the flash. Poor guy, learning so many things.

E: oh and we had an open door meeting with the other cats, one really wants to be his friend and the guy that is upset was sitting submissively (not the right word for cat behavior but close enough) about 8 inches away from Chester.

I'm working on it. Good cats.

Thin Privilege fucked around with this message at 07:36 on Sep 5, 2017

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
Gravy Boat 2k
Oh some more

-this guy definitely was not fed regularly. Most likely just ate whatever he could get. He is happily adjusting to a set feeding schedule :3:

- forgot to say that vet said he has muscle wasting in his back right leg so he was injured and said injury was not taken care of. He's fine overall but he slips sometimes. Just mentioning it now because he just slipped walking on top of his cave.

- he's adjusted to my human schedule of night= sleepy time and when I'm at work =cat nap time and he has many normal cat naps when I'm around.

-he's VERY feral.

-i need help.

I emailed the shelter that helped me, maybe they have some ideas. I adopted a feral from there before and the inyroduction was super easy. So I don't know what to do with the little guy.

Oh man. Help.

Thin Privilege fucked around with this message at 09:54 on Sep 5, 2017

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

I love cattes and am glad you do too :3:

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
Gravy Boat 2k
I really think he's been alone, outside, for a really long time.

But now his carrier (and bathroom) is his safe spot.

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
Gravy Boat 2k

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

I love cattes and am glad you do too :3:

I'm a crazy cat lady :3: (I don't have a billion cats though)

I am nervous all day because I'm thinking how he's stuck in that bathroom all day. I want to spend more time with him :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
Gravy Boat 2k
Today was a good day! I was super lucky that all the cats except leader cat (Kitty) went to the other room so I closed the door and let Chester walk around. He was very like... overwhelmed but I was with him encouraging him the whole time, talking to him. He sees me and feels protected. It's sweet :3: He found the hidey-hole of 2 of my cats and hissed and growled :( other than that though it went ok. He saw Kitty (on a high shelf of course) and neither of them hissed or growled. She watched him all leader-like. Good cats.

E: here's kitty, my leader cat, chillin in the window

E2: he was definitely hurt by his previous "owners" based on how he acts when I pet him. Poor little guy :(

Thin Privilege fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Sep 6, 2017

• Locked thread