Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
replaying the campaign. i like that they reveal lots of the tech tree at once, and there aren't levels where you're given a new unit perfectly designed for the level and then you go back to whatever you were doing before, like in sc2. also not having lots of annoying objectives which aren't fun. and it's not just rose tinted glasses: the writing actually is better than sc2's. it doesn't try for lots of melodrama and the dialogue doesn't pop up every 20 seconds to break the flow of the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Fartosis

Hizke
Feb 14, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lijqh3Cpqpc

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Slayers YuGiOh!

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Lmfao Michael Grackson gets me every time.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nmqs_6CBzcU&t=64s

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

Meat24Ass.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Neurosis posted:

replaying the campaign. i like that they reveal lots of the tech tree at once, and there aren't levels where you're given a new unit perfectly designed for the level and then you go back to whatever you were doing before, like in sc2. also not having lots of annoying objectives which aren't fun. and it's not just rose tinted glasses: the writing actually is better than sc2's. it doesn't try for lots of melodrama and the dialogue doesn't pop up every 20 seconds to break the flow of the game.

The SC2 story is pure rear end that only got worse with each expansion, I am still sincerely mad about that.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Pewdiepie posted:

Meat24Ass.

Hizke
Feb 14, 2010

Wormskull posted:

Slayers YuGiOh!

Wormskull posted:

Lmfao Michael Grackson gets me every time.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

i was more of a C&C kid but i'm happy for the gamers

Hell yeah! I was always more of an Age of Empires kinda guy, but I liked C&C a lot, too. Especially Generals - that was such a good RTS.
Never really got into SC all that much (until several years ago, when I played it a few times with a friend) but I liked WC3 a fair bit. So, is this actually a good remaster?

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Major Isoor posted:

Hell yeah! I was always more of an Age of Empires kinda guy, but I liked C&C a lot, too. Especially Generals - that was such a good RTS.
Never really got into SC all that much (until several years ago, when I played it a few times with a friend) but I liked WC3 a fair bit. So, is this actually a good remaster?

its completely faithful and looks great, you can even seamlessly swap to the old visuals halo remaster style

the funny thing is a lot of people forgot that in SC1 you had to constantly manually tell workers to work, army units to attack, constantly reselect everything to order them to do things or they just sit around, you cant queue orders, cant easily make groups of units etc.

these are all things sc2 fixed and automated..and it was heavily criticized for this because it made it easier for normal people to get into it lol

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

extremebuff posted:

these are all things sc2 fixed and automated..and it was heavily criticized for this because it made it easier for normal people to get into it lol

Oh whaaaat, so that's all been reverted now? Well, that counts me out, I guess. It's been a feature in AoE2 since 1999, so it's insane that people think it should be changed back for this remaster, haha

Hizke
Feb 14, 2010

extremebuff posted:

its completely faithful and looks great, you can even seamlessly swap to the old visuals halo remaster style

the funny thing is a lot of people forgot that in SC1 you had to constantly manually tell workers to work, army units to attack, constantly reselect everything to order them to do things or they just sit around, you cant queue orders, cant easily make groups of units etc.

It looks good but I haven't bought it, I bought the sc2 battlechest instead. Been learning both, though. Can finally hold my own against the AI as terran and zerg, but still need to work on my speed. Finally sitting down to learn this game is satisfying cuz I remember when I went to Korea in 2002 and my cousins took me to a PC cafe and challenged me to starcraft. I will never forget casually working on making my second barracks when a swarm of zerg maybe half a screen worth flood into my base and decimate it instantly killing me about 10 minutes in and I just had to sit there and watch them take each other apart with comically huge zerg armies lol

Hizke
Feb 14, 2010
zerg rush

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

Major Isoor posted:

Oh whaaaat, so that's all been reverted now? Well, that counts me out, I guess. It's been a feature in AoE2 since 1999, so it's insane that people think it should be changed back for this remaster, haha
Yeah exact replication was kinda the premise though I guess they made it widescreen at least? Replays are compatible between them even.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Aug 24, 2017

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Major Isoor posted:

yeah they went for dead accuracy, this is the true sc1 experience lol. i have every suspicion they did this to shake people out of their nostalgic ideas of what SC1 was and if anyone complains about the awkward ancient controls they'll go "well there IS a game that fixes all these things"

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
It'd be cool if you could at least toggle those features on in custom games.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I've never played SC2, and I've only played maybe 2 hours of SC1, but I can tell you confidently that SC2 is purestrain AIDS.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Oh poo poo this even has the editor... I spent more time in that and the WC2 one as a kid than I've spent doing a lot of the other gaming in my life combined.

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

Wormskull posted:

Oh poo poo this even has the editor... I spent more time in that and the WC2 one as a kid than I've spent doing a lot of the other gaming in my life combined.

looks liek i need to get the star raft mememaster

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

In Training posted:

I've never played SC2, and I've only played maybe 2 hours of SC1, but I can tell you confidently that SC2 is purestrain AIDS.

fly away troll

Jackie D
May 27, 2009

Democracy is like a tambourine - not everyone can be trusted with it.

In Training posted:

SC2 is good.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

You're supposed to play SC2 for 500-1000 hours and then declare it irredeemable AIDS because the latest patch reduced bunker build time by five seconds because blizzard are loving MORONS who don't understand the game on a competitive level like you do.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Did they ever finish that SC2 custom map that was just supposed to be big game hunters and a few other maps but with brood war units

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
legacy of the void made sc2 from a good but flawed game to a great rts but it was too late and the game was dead (i think it probably wouldn't have lived that long anyway b/c 1v1 rts games where you have no one to blame but yourself are stressful)

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

I never played LoV aside from the godawful single player, just never found the time to relearn how to play.

Got over fear of losing a long time ago so if imps want to play sometime let's make it happen.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
ive never really "got" an rts. I enjoyed AoE2 a lot and some wc3 but i never truly understood all of them.

starcraft is free now so i could try that

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The thing that sucks about SC2 is mostly all the little stuff you have to remember. Like uhh the nexus speed boosts or the command centers super SCV thingy. They don't add anything to the game besides make it harder for people with bad APM

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

Larry Parrish posted:

The thing that sucks about SC2 is mostly all the little stuff you have to remember. Like uhh the nexus speed boosts or the command centers super SCV thingy. They don't add anything to the game besides make it harder for people with bad APM

disagree. they have opportunity costs (except for larvae injecting for zerg where the opportunity cost is almost nonexistent). chronoboosts are used to set up timing attacks and some strategies (e.g. going for extremely beefily upgraded basic units), though doing that weakens the economy; for terran dropping mules means there might not be enough scans to deal with cloaked units (though late game every terran is going to have sooooooo much energy it doesn't matter). they automated these things in lotv to a degree; iirc queens do auto-injecting now, and you don't have to click to chronoboost, each nexus instead has one building permanently chronoboosted except you can change which building it is.

Reprisal
Jul 20, 2001
a doctor describing symptoms of the AIDS virus

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010

Reprisal posted:

a doctor describing symptoms of the AIDS virus

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Neurosis posted:

disagree. they have opportunity costs (except for larvae injecting for zerg where the opportunity cost is almost nonexistent). chronoboosts are used to set up timing attacks and some strategies (e.g. going for extremely beefily upgraded basic units), though doing that weakens the economy; for terran dropping mules means there might not be enough scans to deal with cloaked units (though late game every terran is going to have sooooooo much energy it doesn't matter).

Thats HIV, Lester. Smaller type of AIDS. They aint out this far unless... aw poo poo

Neurosis posted:

they automated these things in lotv to a degree; iirc queens do auto-injecting now, and you don't have to click to chronoboost, each nexus instead has one building permanently chronoboosted except you can change which building it is.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

getting rid of apm tax bullshit so people can focus on the combat is good.

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

ArfJason posted:

ive never really "got" an rts. I enjoyed AoE2 a lot and some wc3 but i never truly understood all of them.

starcraft is free now so i could try that

Play Red Alert 2

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
oh i remember playing a lot of red alert 1 (on the psx) though i never finished it
how much more complicated is RA2?

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

ArfJason posted:

oh i remember playing a lot of red alert 1 (on the psx) though i never finished it
how much more complicated is RA2?

not very. its one of the best rts games of all time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

also red alert retaliation ftw. i used to play my friend in that using a link cable :c00l:

• Locked thread