Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
alright ill check it out, ty

still occasionally think of the scream at 10 seconds
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3HUWUtTZvK4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

red alert 2 is fantastic. red alert 3 is also pretty drat fun, has great meaty SP campaigns and goes up for 5 bucks all the time.

ra2 is literally freeware

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
is tiberium sun an expansion for ra?

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
drat, no love for Generals? :( It may've been way different from the others in terms of theme, but I think I liked it the best.

Also, it gave us amazing GLA/insurgent voice clips - a friend of mine and I used to use some of the suicide bomber's clips in R6:S, to great effect. (Stuff like "I love a crowd!", "aiaiaiaiaiaiiiii!", "I'll make the sacrifice!", "AK-47s for EVERYONE! (cheering)" etc.)
The problem with that though, is in R6 you only had team VOIP. So yeah, now that you've reminded me about this, I'm kinda tempted to use them with the proximity VOIP in PUBG, sometime. :D

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

ArfJason posted:

is tiberium sun an expansion for ra?

no, its a direct sequel to cnc

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
I think I have all the command and conquers (or at least most of them) because they were extremely cheap once but I never played them. Can a C&C fan tell me where I should start to see if I like them

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

DoubleDonut posted:

I think I have all the command and conquers (or at least most of them) because they were extremely cheap once but I never played them. Can a C&C fan tell me where I should start to see if I like them

I'm no expert, but I think it really depends on the kind of theme you prefer. I started with Generals, Tiberium Wars and Red Alert 3, so honestly I think any of those should be good, unless you really want to go back and start from the old '90s games. (And if so, well, I never really played those, so I can't offer much of an opinion)

In terms of theme, Red Alert is a very 'goofy' kind of cold war-era game with armoured bears, etc. while Generals and Tiberium Wars are more semi-serious. TW is more futuristic though, about a war between the UN and some rebels, with some aliens rocking up partway through. Meanwhile, Generals is basically just the gulf war, with a lot of humorous, slightly-culturally-offensive-and-silly choice quotes from suicide bombers and the like, while they hoon around on motorcycles and blow up masses of ill-equipped stereotypical Chinese riflemen

Major Isoor fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Aug 28, 2017

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Wasn't Generals not the same team at all they just added the name afterwards?

Regardless, it owned with the zero hour expansion,it went completely all in with the goofiness.

As for SC2, I'm glad to hear they cured its very obvious terminal infections five years after i stopped playing.

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

TBH I never played Generals because it was after Westwood was dissolved, but it still might be a good game. In general tho I suggest just playing RA2 since it's just barely modern enough to be playable while also still being fun to play

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Neurosis posted:

disagree. they have opportunity costs (except for larvae injecting for zerg where the opportunity cost is almost nonexistent). chronoboosts are used to set up timing attacks and some strategies (e.g. going for extremely beefily upgraded basic units), though doing that weakens the economy; for terran dropping mules means there might not be enough scans to deal with cloaked units (though late game every terran is going to have sooooooo much energy it doesn't matter). they automated these things in lotv to a degree; iirc queens do auto-injecting now, and you don't have to click to chronoboost, each nexus instead has one building permanently chronoboosted except you can change which building it is.

im aware of all this i just think its stupid to have this extra mechanic when you could not have it and all the same choices get made

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Larry Parrish posted:

im aware of all this i just think its stupid to have this extra mechanic when you could not have it and all the same choices get made

Terran/Protoss weren't so bad cause you could use the energy for something else and not be too far behind. Zerg was completely retarded because miss an inject and you have a permanent disadvantage. SC2 was designed around dumb APM sinks and for some reason they acted surprised that normies didn't like it.

I want to live on the planet where Supreme Commander got StarCraft levels of post release balancing and support. The core idea of a minimal micromanagement RTS was there but they made a lot of dumb decisions with the details.

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

all the dumb busy work that went into 'macro' and so on kept me from ever really enjoying playing high level starcraft, but it was a lot of fun to watch back in the day. nada ftw

dromal phrenia
Feb 22, 2004

i really want to like RTS's but my fantasy is having giant armies go toe to toe and that's not at all what RTS games are like

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

P-Mack posted:

Terran/Protoss weren't so bad cause you could use the energy for something else and not be too far behind. Zerg was completely retarded because miss an inject and you have a permanent disadvantage. SC2 was designed around dumb APM sinks and for some reason they acted surprised that normies didn't like it.

I want to live on the planet where Supreme Commander got StarCraft levels of post release balancing and support. The core idea of a minimal micromanagement RTS was there but they made a lot of dumb decisions with the details.

Planetary annihilation isnt a very flashy game and the spherical maps are kind of hard to keep an eye on without lots of picture in picture windows, but I think automating macro like it does is awesome and more RTSs should do it. That game isn't about build order, so it's all about expanding your resource income while conducting raids before you mass up and try to wipe a planet of enemies or whatever

Ristolaz
Sep 29, 2005

By completely blowing off my BS you have passed the first trial

dromal phrenia posted:

i really want to like RTS's but my fantasy is having giant armies go toe to toe and that's not at all what RTS games are like

play total war warhammer. Or any total war

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

yeah you could spend a LOT of hours just setting up huge ridiculous battles (esp w mods) in total war

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

dromal phrenia posted:

I mean.. that's how I've always played them. Building your base + army is like 90% of the fun to me

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Ristolaz posted:

extremebuff posted:

yeah you could spend a LOT of hours just setting up huge ridiculous battles (esp w mods) in total war

Yeah, the total war games are great for that - especially if you want to get into it for the real-time battles, more than the map/strategy layer. I still think the original Rome: TW is the best, although everyone in each unit looks identical (aside from the captain), so you might prefer say, Medieval 2: TW, where everyone looks different, at least. (Not to mention the graphics are overall improved)

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Larry Parrish posted:

Planetary annihilation isnt a very flashy game and the spherical maps are kind of hard to keep an eye on without lots of picture in picture windows, but I think automating macro like it does is awesome and more RTSs should do it. That game isn't about build order, so it's all about expanding your resource income while conducting raids before you mass up and try to wipe a planet of enemies or whatever

I kickstarted that but never actually played the release version. I didn't like the randomly generated maps but I guess I could give it another chance.

Major Isoor posted:

Yeah, the total war games are great for that - especially if you want to get into it for the real-time battles, more than the map/strategy layer. I still think the original Rome: TW is the best, although everyone in each unit looks identical (aside from the captain), so you might prefer say, Medieval 2: TW, where everyone looks different, at least. (Not to mention the graphics are overall improved)

Play medieval 1 instead, it's on steam now and the battles still "feel" better than the later games. The sprites are easier to actually distinguish when zoomed out than 3D models, and the risk-style strategic map is both more interesting and simpler, which means the strategic AI has fewer opportunities to do something moronic. Also you get to fight lots of cool field battles instead of lovely siege after lovely siege.

dromal phrenia
Feb 22, 2004

Ristolaz posted:

i just bought that on a big sale the other day! i've never played a total war before, I just heard it's a really good game

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

I mean.. that's how I've always played them. Building your base + army is like 90% of the fun to me

Exactly! I managed to get 2 friends to play that way with Total Annihilation back in the day and it was fun as hell slowing my computer to a crawl while two massive armies clashed, but most people want to play the normal competitive way and that's not exciting to me.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

P-Mack posted:

I kickstarted that but never actually played the release version. I didn't like the randomly generated maps but I guess I could give it another chance.

They released a expansion that includes a ranked queue that uses random maps like SC2 does but they're all hand-made. I cant remember the last time anyone actually played a random PA map on the custom servers either.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

P-Mack posted:

having options for high apm micro seems good to me, so long as none of it is only required by things that make are pointless handicaps zerg injections are a good example of a pointless macro sink ,as has been said. there's some opportunity cost in that it delays dropping creep but realistically everyone's going to keep making GBS threads out larvae non-stop and creep is a second priority, so it's just a dumb sink - i was kind of wrong, it's not totally autocast, but you can queue injects, so it's not too bad.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

Neurosis posted:

having options for high apm micro seems good to me, so long as none of it is only required by things that make are pointless handicaps zerg injections are a good example of a pointless macro sink ,as has been said. there's some opportunity cost in that it delays dropping creep but realistically everyone's going to keep making GBS threads out larvae non-stop and creep is a second priority, so it's just a dumb sink - i was kind of wrong, it's not totally autocast, but you can queue injects, so it's not too bad.

Yeah it's designed to be fiddly on purpose, none of those mechanics pay rent in terms of how interesting they are strategy-wise vs how much mandatory distracting clicking they add.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Idk if they changed it since I last played, but I remember the Terran MULE thing being a lot more fun to play with than the other two because it seemed like a bonus instead of being mandatory. Like, if a Zerg or Protoss got distracted and missed a chrono or inject their production cycles were a lot worse and they would fall behind, but Terran mineral gathering wasn't any worse than the other races and their units didn't seem priced to accommodate for the increased mineral efficiency, so you could basically use them whenever and get a nice Mineral boost that would always be useful.

Squeezy Farm
Jun 16, 2009

dromal phrenia posted:

Play Ultimate Epic Battle Simulator -- it's like an RTS on crack! With zombies!

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

fadam posted:

Idk if they changed it since I last played, but I remember the Terran MULE thing being a lot more fun to play with than the other two because it seemed like a bonus instead of being mandatory. Like, if a Zerg or Protoss got distracted and missed a chrono or inject their production cycles were a lot worse and they would fall behind, but Terran mineral gathering wasn't any worse than the other races and their units didn't seem priced to accommodate for the increased mineral efficiency, so you could basically use them whenever and get a nice Mineral boost that would always be useful.

Yep, you could also use the energy on a supply drop which was a nice little gift to bad players who both forgot to build a depot and forgot the mule.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

I hope another RTS game that's incredibly popular and competitive comes out soon. We need more 1v1 games.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I prefer team matches in RTS games personally, mostly because micro stops being as effective and I'm literally not smart enough to split my attention like that.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

I prefer matches against people who aren't good at RTSes... Hehe

Squeezy Farm
Jun 16, 2009

P-Mack posted:

I prefer matches against people who aren't good at RTSes... Hehe

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

fadam posted:

I hope another RTS game that's incredibly popular and competitive comes out soon. We need more 1v1 games.

lack of binding social interaction, which importantly leaves out the ability to blame losses on other people, makes me pessimistic on this.

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

Neurosis posted:

lack of binding social interaction, which importantly leaves out the ability to blame losses on other people, makes me pessimistic on this.

playing quake was proof to me that it was all my team mates holding me back all those years

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

just like no one wants to sit down and learn an arena shooter, no one wants to sit down and learn a classic arcadey RTS with APM in the hundreds at the pro level. if only COH 2 was good

CoH didnt require insanely fast decision making and the combat was slow enough to let regular non adderall fueled humans play it at a high level, it was more about your positioning, map knowledge+control and key decisions like "do I retreat this squad thats about to get flanked or do I hold out until they can get reinforced"

sc2 is a much better game now, especially for spectators, but anyone who practices it with the aim to one day go 1v1 against Maru is completely loving insane to me

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Just chugged a bottle of 3 dollar wine I found at Wal Mart and I'm feeling ready to game lads... maybe it's time to finally play the campaign on this bad bwoy.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

extremebuff posted:

just like no one wants to sit down and learn an arena shooter, no one wants to sit down and learn a classic arcadey RTS with APM in the hundreds at the pro level. if only COH 2 was good

CoH didnt require insanely fast decision making and the combat was slow enough to let regular non adderall fueled humans play it at a high level, it was more about your positioning, map knowledge+control and key decisions like "do I retreat this squad thats about to get flanked or do I hold out until they can get reinforced"

sc2 is a much better game now, especially for spectators, but anyone who practices it with the aim to one day go 1v1 against Maru is completely loving insane to me

You should always want to game with the big boys.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Wormskull posted:

Just chugged a bottle of 3 dollar wine I found at Wal Mart and I'm feeling ready to game lads... maybe it's time to finally play the campaign on this bad bwoy.

Good luck.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

I'm probnanly going to playe TF2 instead cuz fuicking around talking to stupid teenagers is way more fun. I wish I oculd figure out how to get on australian TF2 servers and hang out with the aussie teenagers who just finished their homework or w/e.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Aussie CSGO is godlike. I started drunkenly singing Walzting matilda once and five of the people opn hte server started playing different recordings of it along with me.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

I consider austrlain and Ireland to be sister cities to the USA.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Wormskull posted:

Aussie CSGO is godlike. I started drunkenly singing Walzting matilda once and five of the people opn hte server started playing different recordings of it along with me.

lmao this owns

• Locked thread