Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

I was really into SC2 for a while, then I had kids and quit cold turkey.

But if imps are gonna be doing this I'd be up for some games on BGH.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

From what I remember the campaign doesn't have the like two decades worth of balance changes applied, yeah.

I never really figured out how to play SC1 outside of custom money maps which were just a giant field of minerals spelling out "gently caress YOU".

E: if you're learning we can just do 2v2 comp stomps and whatnot. Just picking a basic build order and remembering to always build probes will get you pretty far.

P-Mack fucked around with this message at 14:59 on Aug 15, 2017

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Wormskull posted:

Oh if there's 2v2 I guess I could learn the basics that way.

Like the timings and strategy are all different than they'd be in a real 1v1 match but that stuff is way less important for a newb than just remembering to always be building poo poo.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Wormskull posted:

Did anyone from here add me.

No but thanks for reminding me I'll do it tonight after battle.net loads three years of missed patches

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Added you wormskull. I'm WangPeng#1940 if anyone wants to play SC 1 or 2 or whatever sometime.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Neurosis posted:

replaying the campaign. i like that they reveal lots of the tech tree at once, and there aren't levels where you're given a new unit perfectly designed for the level and then you go back to whatever you were doing before, like in sc2. also not having lots of annoying objectives which aren't fun. and it's not just rose tinted glasses: the writing actually is better than sc2's. it doesn't try for lots of melodrama and the dialogue doesn't pop up every 20 seconds to break the flow of the game.

The SC2 story is pure rear end that only got worse with each expansion, I am still sincerely mad about that.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

You're supposed to play SC2 for 500-1000 hours and then declare it irredeemable AIDS because the latest patch reduced bunker build time by five seconds because blizzard are loving MORONS who don't understand the game on a competitive level like you do.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

I never played LoV aside from the godawful single player, just never found the time to relearn how to play.

Got over fear of losing a long time ago so if imps want to play sometime let's make it happen.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Wasn't Generals not the same team at all they just added the name afterwards?

Regardless, it owned with the zero hour expansion,it went completely all in with the goofiness.

As for SC2, I'm glad to hear they cured its very obvious terminal infections five years after i stopped playing.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Larry Parrish posted:

im aware of all this i just think its stupid to have this extra mechanic when you could not have it and all the same choices get made

Terran/Protoss weren't so bad cause you could use the energy for something else and not be too far behind. Zerg was completely retarded because miss an inject and you have a permanent disadvantage. SC2 was designed around dumb APM sinks and for some reason they acted surprised that normies didn't like it.

I want to live on the planet where Supreme Commander got StarCraft levels of post release balancing and support. The core idea of a minimal micromanagement RTS was there but they made a lot of dumb decisions with the details.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Larry Parrish posted:

Planetary annihilation isnt a very flashy game and the spherical maps are kind of hard to keep an eye on without lots of picture in picture windows, but I think automating macro like it does is awesome and more RTSs should do it. That game isn't about build order, so it's all about expanding your resource income while conducting raids before you mass up and try to wipe a planet of enemies or whatever

I kickstarted that but never actually played the release version. I didn't like the randomly generated maps but I guess I could give it another chance.

Major Isoor posted:

Yeah, the total war games are great for that - especially if you want to get into it for the real-time battles, more than the map/strategy layer. I still think the original Rome: TW is the best, although everyone in each unit looks identical (aside from the captain), so you might prefer say, Medieval 2: TW, where everyone looks different, at least. (Not to mention the graphics are overall improved)

Play medieval 1 instead, it's on steam now and the battles still "feel" better than the later games. The sprites are easier to actually distinguish when zoomed out than 3D models, and the risk-style strategic map is both more interesting and simpler, which means the strategic AI has fewer opportunities to do something moronic. Also you get to fight lots of cool field battles instead of lovely siege after lovely siege.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

fadam posted:

Idk if they changed it since I last played, but I remember the Terran MULE thing being a lot more fun to play with than the other two because it seemed like a bonus instead of being mandatory. Like, if a Zerg or Protoss got distracted and missed a chrono or inject their production cycles were a lot worse and they would fall behind, but Terran mineral gathering wasn't any worse than the other races and their units didn't seem priced to accommodate for the increased mineral efficiency, so you could basically use them whenever and get a nice Mineral boost that would always be useful.

Yep, you could also use the energy on a supply drop which was a nice little gift to bad players who both forgot to build a depot and forgot the mule.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

I prefer matches against people who aren't good at RTSes... Hehe

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Neurosis posted:

99% sure it actually happened in fyad of all places.

pretty sure you're thinking of these guys

https://forums.somethingawful.com/dictionary.php?act=3&topicid=235

https://forums.somethingawful.com/dictionary.php?act=3&topicid=465

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

IdealFlaws posted:

loving same here. I got both expansions at once not too long ago like a FOOL

but that means you can play the engrossing single player campaign and learn how the Zerg were a noble warrior race before being corrupted

e: wrote that as a joke but then I remembered it was real

P-Mack fucked around with this message at 12:27 on Nov 4, 2017

• Locked thread