Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

i grew up playing this, and i still love watching pro SC and SC2 matches. cant wait to have a nostalgiafest w/ this on the weekend, even if youre afraid of other players it has really good and lengthy singleplayer campaigns

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

probably gonna end up finally picking up legacy of the void too, they made a lot of great changes to the multi recently

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Syncopated posted:

Actually the graphic style is kinda poo poo, this looks like a mobile game or something.

its the same as it was before, just super uprezzed and cleaned up

spent all night watching the vods for shoutcraft kings

Wormskull posted:

Is there a good resource for learning SC1 for a complete noob. I find watching the game on Twitch and stuff almost impenetrable but it doesn't seem like the multi is similar to the campaign in how you play.

the SP is really good at teaching you the units and controls and stuff in both games, but if you really wanna learn to dive into 1v1 there are a lot of great tutorial series on youtube you could easily look up. i feel like throwing out general tips would turn this into a dark souls thread

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

trying to jack off posted:

i never beat the starcraft campaign or did any 1v1s. however i did play 100000 hours of custom maps

i never played the mods growing up but i was super into the custom stuff in sc2, especially coop maps that let you have totally broken custom units

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Sofia Coppola_OD_ posted:

i have a big crush on the sc caster tasteless, but I don't find SC2 watchable anymore. brood war was really the poo poo and even though i will never reach even an intermediate skill level in the game competitively, I still love to both play and watch it, so I hope this is a good thign

i feel like LOTV made it watchable now that theres no 5 minutes of nothing at the start of every match and players are forced to be aggressive and expand quickly, the balance changes are also constant and theyre not afraid to totally redesign units and really shake things up.

this release is reviving the sc1 scene, and the sc2 scene just exploded w/ the recent content releases. what a time to be alive

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Major Isoor posted:

Hell yeah! I was always more of an Age of Empires kinda guy, but I liked C&C a lot, too. Especially Generals - that was such a good RTS.
Never really got into SC all that much (until several years ago, when I played it a few times with a friend) but I liked WC3 a fair bit. So, is this actually a good remaster?

its completely faithful and looks great, you can even seamlessly swap to the old visuals halo remaster style

the funny thing is a lot of people forgot that in SC1 you had to constantly manually tell workers to work, army units to attack, constantly reselect everything to order them to do things or they just sit around, you cant queue orders, cant easily make groups of units etc.

these are all things sc2 fixed and automated..and it was heavily criticized for this because it made it easier for normal people to get into it lol

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Major Isoor posted:

Oh whaaaat, so that's all been reverted now? Well, that counts me out, I guess. It's been a feature in AoE2 since 1999, so it's insane that people think it should be changed back for this remaster, haha

yeah they went for dead accuracy, this is the true sc1 experience lol. i have every suspicion they did this to shake people out of their nostalgic ideas of what SC1 was and if anyone complains about the awkward ancient controls they'll go "well there IS a game that fixes all these things"

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

In Training posted:

I've never played SC2, and I've only played maybe 2 hours of SC1, but I can tell you confidently that SC2 is purestrain AIDS.

fly away troll

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

getting rid of apm tax bullshit so people can focus on the combat is good.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

red alert 2 is fantastic. red alert 3 is also pretty drat fun, has great meaty SP campaigns and goes up for 5 bucks all the time.

ra2 is literally freeware

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

yeah you could spend a LOT of hours just setting up huge ridiculous battles (esp w mods) in total war

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

just like no one wants to sit down and learn an arena shooter, no one wants to sit down and learn a classic arcadey RTS with APM in the hundreds at the pro level. if only COH 2 was good

CoH didnt require insanely fast decision making and the combat was slow enough to let regular non adderall fueled humans play it at a high level, it was more about your positioning, map knowledge+control and key decisions like "do I retreat this squad thats about to get flanked or do I hold out until they can get reinforced"

sc2 is a much better game now, especially for spectators, but anyone who practices it with the aim to one day go 1v1 against Maru is completely loving insane to me

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Wormskull posted:

Aussie CSGO is godlike. I started drunkenly singing Walzting matilda once and five of the people opn hte server started playing different recordings of it along with me.

lmao this owns

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

In Training posted:

Did you just take the story of Brad Shoemaker flaming people on NeoGAF and challenging them to SC2 duels and get every single detail wrong or did Jeff Gerstmann post on this website 17 years ago.

lmfao

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

bump. sc2 is going free to play. apparently you get legacy of the void full multiplayer with no strings attached. guess when they started selling cosmetics for it it was so successful they could just do this lol

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

PleasingFungus posted:

trying to contain laughter I am definitely going to start playing Starcraft now.

lmao i dont expect anyone to, just interesting that this finally happened

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

the story in the sc2 campaigns is bad. theres some really impressive CG stuff of big cyber tanks blowing up big bugs but thats about it, the levels themselves though are really fun.

• Locked thread