Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

i was more of a C&C kid but i'm happy for the gamers

Hell yeah! I was always more of an Age of Empires kinda guy, but I liked C&C a lot, too. Especially Generals - that was such a good RTS.
Never really got into SC all that much (until several years ago, when I played it a few times with a friend) but I liked WC3 a fair bit. So, is this actually a good remaster?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

extremebuff posted:

these are all things sc2 fixed and automated..and it was heavily criticized for this because it made it easier for normal people to get into it lol

Oh whaaaat, so that's all been reverted now? Well, that counts me out, I guess. It's been a feature in AoE2 since 1999, so it's insane that people think it should be changed back for this remaster, haha

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
drat, no love for Generals? :( It may've been way different from the others in terms of theme, but I think I liked it the best.

Also, it gave us amazing GLA/insurgent voice clips - a friend of mine and I used to use some of the suicide bomber's clips in R6:S, to great effect. (Stuff like "I love a crowd!", "aiaiaiaiaiaiiiii!", "I'll make the sacrifice!", "AK-47s for EVERYONE! (cheering)" etc.)
The problem with that though, is in R6 you only had team VOIP. So yeah, now that you've reminded me about this, I'm kinda tempted to use them with the proximity VOIP in PUBG, sometime. :D

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

DoubleDonut posted:

I think I have all the command and conquers (or at least most of them) because they were extremely cheap once but I never played them. Can a C&C fan tell me where I should start to see if I like them

I'm no expert, but I think it really depends on the kind of theme you prefer. I started with Generals, Tiberium Wars and Red Alert 3, so honestly I think any of those should be good, unless you really want to go back and start from the old '90s games. (And if so, well, I never really played those, so I can't offer much of an opinion)

In terms of theme, Red Alert is a very 'goofy' kind of cold war-era game with armoured bears, etc. while Generals and Tiberium Wars are more semi-serious. TW is more futuristic though, about a war between the UN and some rebels, with some aliens rocking up partway through. Meanwhile, Generals is basically just the gulf war, with a lot of humorous, slightly-culturally-offensive-and-silly choice quotes from suicide bombers and the like, while they hoon around on motorcycles and blow up masses of ill-equipped stereotypical Chinese riflemen

Major Isoor fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Aug 28, 2017

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Ristolaz posted:

play total war warhammer. Or any total war

extremebuff posted:

yeah you could spend a LOT of hours just setting up huge ridiculous battles (esp w mods) in total war

Yeah, the total war games are great for that - especially if you want to get into it for the real-time battles, more than the map/strategy layer. I still think the original Rome: TW is the best, although everyone in each unit looks identical (aside from the captain), so you might prefer say, Medieval 2: TW, where everyone looks different, at least. (Not to mention the graphics are overall improved)

• Locked thread