Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Did they ever finish that SC2 custom map that was just supposed to be big game hunters and a few other maps but with brood war units

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The thing that sucks about SC2 is mostly all the little stuff you have to remember. Like uhh the nexus speed boosts or the command centers super SCV thingy. They don't add anything to the game besides make it harder for people with bad APM

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Neurosis posted:

disagree. they have opportunity costs (except for larvae injecting for zerg where the opportunity cost is almost nonexistent). chronoboosts are used to set up timing attacks and some strategies (e.g. going for extremely beefily upgraded basic units), though doing that weakens the economy; for terran dropping mules means there might not be enough scans to deal with cloaked units (though late game every terran is going to have sooooooo much energy it doesn't matter). they automated these things in lotv to a degree; iirc queens do auto-injecting now, and you don't have to click to chronoboost, each nexus instead has one building permanently chronoboosted except you can change which building it is.

im aware of all this i just think its stupid to have this extra mechanic when you could not have it and all the same choices get made

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

P-Mack posted:

Terran/Protoss weren't so bad cause you could use the energy for something else and not be too far behind. Zerg was completely retarded because miss an inject and you have a permanent disadvantage. SC2 was designed around dumb APM sinks and for some reason they acted surprised that normies didn't like it.

I want to live on the planet where Supreme Commander got StarCraft levels of post release balancing and support. The core idea of a minimal micromanagement RTS was there but they made a lot of dumb decisions with the details.

Planetary annihilation isnt a very flashy game and the spherical maps are kind of hard to keep an eye on without lots of picture in picture windows, but I think automating macro like it does is awesome and more RTSs should do it. That game isn't about build order, so it's all about expanding your resource income while conducting raids before you mass up and try to wipe a planet of enemies or whatever

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

P-Mack posted:

I kickstarted that but never actually played the release version. I didn't like the randomly generated maps but I guess I could give it another chance.

They released a expansion that includes a ranked queue that uses random maps like SC2 does but they're all hand-made. I cant remember the last time anyone actually played a random PA map on the custom servers either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I prefer team matches in RTS games personally, mostly because micro stops being as effective and I'm literally not smart enough to split my attention like that.

• Locked thread