Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
i finally nerved myself up to play some ladder. i am losing every game but i can see obvious things i'm doing wrong i need to fix each time, and i don't really expect to win when i have a huge uphill battle to acquaint myself with the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
replaying the campaign. i like that they reveal lots of the tech tree at once, and there aren't levels where you're given a new unit perfectly designed for the level and then you go back to whatever you were doing before, like in sc2. also not having lots of annoying objectives which aren't fun. and it's not just rose tinted glasses: the writing actually is better than sc2's. it doesn't try for lots of melodrama and the dialogue doesn't pop up every 20 seconds to break the flow of the game.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
legacy of the void made sc2 from a good but flawed game to a great rts but it was too late and the game was dead (i think it probably wouldn't have lived that long anyway b/c 1v1 rts games where you have no one to blame but yourself are stressful)

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

Larry Parrish posted:

The thing that sucks about SC2 is mostly all the little stuff you have to remember. Like uhh the nexus speed boosts or the command centers super SCV thingy. They don't add anything to the game besides make it harder for people with bad APM

disagree. they have opportunity costs (except for larvae injecting for zerg where the opportunity cost is almost nonexistent). chronoboosts are used to set up timing attacks and some strategies (e.g. going for extremely beefily upgraded basic units), though doing that weakens the economy; for terran dropping mules means there might not be enough scans to deal with cloaked units (though late game every terran is going to have sooooooo much energy it doesn't matter). they automated these things in lotv to a degree; iirc queens do auto-injecting now, and you don't have to click to chronoboost, each nexus instead has one building permanently chronoboosted except you can change which building it is.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

P-Mack posted:

Terran/Protoss weren't so bad cause you could use the energy for something else and not be too far behind. Zerg was completely retarded because miss an inject and you have a permanent disadvantage. SC2 was designed around dumb APM sinks and for some reason they acted surprised that normies didn't like it.

I want to live on the planet where Supreme Commander got StarCraft levels of post release balancing and support. The core idea of a minimal micromanagement RTS was there but they made a lot of dumb decisions with the details.

having options for high apm micro seems good to me, so long as none of it is only required by things that make are pointless handicaps zerg injections are a good example of a pointless macro sink ,as has been said. there's some opportunity cost in that it delays dropping creep but realistically everyone's going to keep making GBS threads out larvae non-stop and creep is a second priority, so it's just a dumb sink - i was kind of wrong, it's not totally autocast, but you can queue injects, so it's not too bad.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

fadam posted:

I hope another RTS game that's incredibly popular and competitive comes out soon. We need more 1v1 games.

lack of binding social interaction, which importantly leaves out the ability to blame losses on other people, makes me pessimistic on this.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
the gently caress did anyone ever micro as a zerg i have ten billion control groups and my production facilities aren't centralised for easily adding to groups and most of my units into the early midgame die so easily anyway there's barely any point in micro so i spend 90% of the time playing around with production and clicking in the general area of the map where a fight is happening

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
remember when that guy got chased out of fyad by someone beating him at brood war? good days

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

In Training posted:

Did you just take the story of Brad Shoemaker flaming people on NeoGAF and challenging them to SC2 duels and get every single detail wrong or did Jeff Gerstmann post on this website 17 years ago.

99% sure it actually happened in fyad of all places.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

yeah that's it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

IdealFlaws posted:

Lol I'm trying to get through the campaign but it's tough to stay interested. I hear protoss story is significantly better. I hope it is true

well. if you mean the campaign, maybe. if you mean the story, no, it's all trash.

• Locked thread