Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

Had we turned left instead, we may have encountered something like this...
Stay out of sight

I don't think I've ever seen that cover before. I'm trying hard to place a scene in the book that it actually depicts, and I'm coming up empty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

Goofy?

Badass. Now act like one.

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

I think that mine was the American version. At least, its the version I had.

Stay and play

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

Let's head into the woods.

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

Go gore the gourgaz guys good, guv!

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

Onwards! YIELD FOR NO MAN OR NUMBER!!!

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

RabidWeasel posted:

Didn't these books have fake paragraphs and item prompts for items which never existed? I'm almost sure some of the Fighting Fantasy books worked like that.

The Zork series would occasionally prompt you for a fake item as an honesty check and Grailquest may have as well with subsequent punitive results for trying to cheat. I know this series fairly well and don't believe I've ever run into a fake item check. Can't say for FF.

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

There are a number of math problems in Lone Wolf (and at least one on World of Lone Wolf), but I don't think any were absolutely required to beat the book. Although failing might kill you, there was usually another way around the encounter.

The Cretan Chronicles had an interesting system where a page number in italics instead of normal print gave you the chance to skip 10 pages ahead. This resulted in a possible bonus or penalty in the book which could include historical trivia, picking up on a subtle clue, or admonishment do failing to act in line with Hellenic Grecian customs. It was pretty arbitrary and awesome. It took a bit of working to translate to the LP with varying results.

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

some kind of key or crystal i want to say? i might be thinking of something between the 2nd and 3rd books then.

There's one particular Special Item Crystal Star from Banedon in this book you can only pick up VERY early on (like miss it if you take the wrong path 1st or 2nd choice of the book.) To my knowledge it only has one unique use in the second book, otherwise it simply serves as a reminder that, 'Hey, something happened in book 1' without any obvious benefit.

I believe you can pick up an encounter specific key in the Graveyard as well as 20 gems from smashing skulls but I don't think they're ever referenced again in the series. I'll admit that I don't recall all the specifics of this first book perfectly.

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

6th Sense
Shield
Potion

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

I do believe that on another path from boat to shore, we'd have seen the one legit use for that unique item from the first book that we missed. In case I remember incorrectly, we can get bitten by a snake after we wash ashore. We can open the wound with the Crystal Pendant to suck out the wound, not sure whether the encounter results in death or just an ENDURANCE hit or whether Healing helps here. It's a slightly longer path, but I'm pretty sure it funnels into this one eventually.

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

:black101: LAAAAUUUUUUUUT![mpsur]

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

Avalerion posted:

Parsion cause snake tatoo.

I always thought this was a neat like meta-clue. I can't recall another like it in the series.

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

Tiggum posted:

You know, I've never noticed that before. Neat.

You may have made the connection, but in case you didn't (and for those who may not have):

Earlier in this book posted:

The sailor who claimed to be First Mate Ronan seems to have escaped during the fight. You quickly search the bodies of the harbour thugs, but find nothing of value. However, you do notice that each of them has a tattoo of a serpent on their left wrist. Whoever sent them to kill you must already know of the importance of your quest.

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

"You see some szalls. Your advanced training lets you know that they are from a race known as szalls."

FWIW, I think Legends of Lone Wolf (the straight-up fictional series of Lone Wolf's adventures that got weird) gives a little bit more info on them (wiki contains spoilers), they're basically wimpy Giaks that defected from the Darklands. Unfortunately it didn't do much for their social standing with either forces of good or evil, so the few times they show up they're just kinda window dressing and looked down upon by everyone.

Chase these scrubs away.

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

Just now learning Dever is dead. :(

However, encouraging to hear the news that his son has stated plans to complete the last few planned books. Let's just hope this is more of a Jordan->Sanderson situation than a Herbert->Herbert fiasco.

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

The crossbow, much like the halberd, is not canon.

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

Investigate! Maybe there's a child we can capture to replace the one we just lost.

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

Tangential yet somewhat relevant: I just recently happened upon the full series of Legends of Lone Wolf, a traditional fiction series (co-authored by John Grant) which chronicles books 1-8 (I think) of Lone Wolf. I only had the books which covered through Caverns of Kalte previously, so there's a good amount of material to cover. For now, I will simply remark that Denver lives him some 'dotard'.

Ratatozsk fucked around with this message at 05:35 on Sep 24, 2017

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

vilkacis posted:

I look forward to hearing about this, because I've never seen them myself.

I'd like to start adding in tidbits in parallel to the LP, if Tiggum doesn't mind. I had all the CYOAs in print form and read the poo poo out of them, so I'm pretty confident that I'll be able to hold back future plot points as they're hinted at in the books. But I do need to read Hunting Wolf through first as well as clarify what to do with a few bygone events like the Crystal Star and its owner: fair game to spoil now? before actually contributing anything of substance.

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

The Firesphere is absurdly useful. I'd put it second only to the Somerswerd as Special Items go, although I'm not sure if Project Aon had tweaked some of the other ones.

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

Kanthulhu posted:

There might be lootbones beneath all those bones.

Search

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

ulmont posted:

From Book 12 to Book 13 we will be limited to carrying forward only certain Special Items in addition.

Interested to see if Project Aon updated that transition. Some of those items had absolutely no use after their introduction so it was a bit of a head scratcher about what made them special and worth keeping around. Though to be fair, plenty had stat bonuses that justified their continuation.

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

Take the key and consume it so that when we are eventually defeated, our vanquisher gets to experience what we just did.

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

If I had to pick a single favorite, it would probably be #5, though #16 will always hold a special place (american version misnumbering be damned).

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

Tiggum posted:

I knew about some of the books being shortened to save money, but I didn't know they changed the order of any of them. What happened and what was the reason for it?

Pages were cut, and as a result page numbers were changed. There was a puzzle whose answer directed you to a page number to continue the plot, and that was not changed to account for the repagination (if that is a word.)

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

Ok, finished Legends of Lone Wolf equivalent to this book, Hunting Wolf. Unfortunately, I think that I'm going to need to start that series from the top to really do it justice, so it will be a bit longer before I'm able to mirror the CYOA live. I'll be able to reflect a little bit on this book when certain events have passed, and then a bit more once we've advanced a few more books given some "canon" events that we skirted previously.

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

A merchant should know goings on a the public house. Tavern name

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

Weaponskill. Even if we don't match the Sommerswerd, we get a bonus if we allow dual wielding or if we consider the Sommerswerd to offer a passive bonus to whatever we're using.

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

It's written vaguely enough to NOT have limitations though! i say we Zoro this poo poo up and wield our holy blade in our mouth while dual-wielding 2 other weapons we find this adventure :v:

Looking for the original LP fan art but archives aren't cooperating. Probably best held until end of book 12 though.

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

OK, so let's chat Legends a little bit. The books are different for a number of reasons. They include a number of points of view other than Lone Wolf's. Here particularly we see through the eyes of Vonotar, Loi Kymar, Alyss (more on her later) and several other characters. We get the chance to see Vonotar capture poor old Loi Kymar and torture him for awhile, as well as watch Loi scheme with Vonotar's pet giak Carag (more on him later) and a few Icemen in a coup to overthrow the mad usurper of Ikaya. Thankfully more adept help shows up before that goes down.

I'll do my best to fill in some gaps as things go. At the moment I've just covered the Legends equivalent of book 3, 3.5, and 0.5 and have a few holes in my memory to patch up.

Anyhoo, at the start of Hunting Lone Wolf is alerted by higher powers of Vonotar's presence. He had encountered him twice previously, once when he killed Lone Wolf's mentor Storm Hawk in the lead-up to the Monastery massacre, and once on the floating death hulk. He makes his way to Ulnar who arranges the mission and sends him to the icy seas.

A large part of the book is dedicated to traversing the ice and facing what challenges come from it. The baknar (and the oil) comes early on which then sets up the doom of the party, as they are attacked by a kalkoth which preys upon the baknar. This then leaves Lone Wolf to venture onwards alone, and at the moment when he stumbles half-snow blind into a cave which back-doors him into the fortress the book is probably past the halfway point.

While the Firesphere isn't included, the Blue Stone Triangle is as is the Vagadyn Gate. Once Lone Wolf is inside the fortress, Loi Kymar pops inside his head to guide him. This is of course not done in a direct "Hey, take a left there, a right here, come get me!" kind of way but rather a series of teasing hints. It does allow for a few plot dumps like the Gate but it's mostly obnoxious. There are a few other paths of the CYOA that make their way in like Tygon the Helghast as well as picking up some herbs to knock out some Ice Barbarians that we otherwise kill, with some odd twists added. Loi Kymar repeatedly prods Lone Wolf to take out a few Icies with a steaming bowl of Graveweed (death gas) but finally gives into protestations and swaps it for Gallowbrush (sleep gas). Loi then reflects that this was a test and that he would have killed Lone Wolf if he had indeed killed the defenseless Ice Barbarians. Lone Wolf, the last of the Kai, the slayer of a Darklord, the wielder of the Sommerswerd. All a tad CW supernatural/scifi teen drama, but then again this is pseudo-fan-fic for an 80's-90's CYOA.

The final confrontation is pretty similar, although Lone Wolf wrecks the Akraa’Neonor like an afterthought before they warp back to the Cardonal. However the falling action is a bit harsh. The Guildmaster of the Brotherhood of the Crystal Star (Vonotar rose from their ranks before going bad, Loi Kymar as well) forces Lone Wolf to serve as defense for the traitor for...not really any reasons as all. He then doesn't skip a beat before consigning Lone Wolf to huck Vonotar into the Daziarn for safe keeping. Our hero then retreats back to rebuilding the Monastery, a suspicious eye towards the Kraan periodically winging overhead.

That's about it for Hunting Wolf. I hope to be able to fill out some characters a bit, particularly Lone Wolf, Vonotar, Viveka (remember her?) as well as some unique to the novels. In order to do this, I do need to finish novels 2-4 which roughly cover books 1 and 2. Thankfully they aren't exactly Tolstoy. If any questions arise during this trip into bizarro Lone Wolf, please don't hesitate to ask.

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

vilkacis posted:

I especially like

because it's just so dumb.

I hope the rest of it is every bit as dumb. :allears:

I do believe that Loi Kymar at one point promised to share the secrets of the guild staff with vonotar. He then does so via instantaneous magical means seconds before he passes through the shadow gate. To keep his promise, of course.

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

This is like the prototype of a CYOA roadside sage hut.

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

Guy Fawkes posted:

Enter the Hut.
About Legends, I've read the first books and I mist admit I really didn't like them. The Gamebooks are absolutely one of my favorites, but often the narrative in the novels felt... forced, too many elements of grimdarkness pushed in there only for effect, not for a true narrative purpose.

Agreed. There's plenty of overt butchery of soldiers, bystanders, and children that permeates the early books, plus numerous mentions of rape by raiding giaks. I could understand some of that with a more adult targeted audience, but it just sits uncomfortably here.

Tangential factoid: Lone Wolf receives a bottle of potable Tongues spells from the captain of the Green Scepter before he dies. He later uses this to speak to the Noodnicks in the tunnel to Durenor (did we skip them?) but it resurfaces in Kalte when he uses it to listen in on gossip of his guides and tell the sled dogs to shut up while they get hoisted up a mountain scaled as part of their journey. I appreciated seeing that little tie-in between books that also provides a mechanism for showing a segment of the story otherwise locked behind a rather specific skill. Some of the skills like healing and weapon mastery are easy enough to write in, whilst others are a bit ham handed: 'He had heard tell of the skill of Tracking, and suddenly saw the same field, only in the middle of winter with footprints clearly going to the left towards Holmgard,' (roughly paraphrased.)

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

Tiggum posted:

Oh, and once again I've just got to comment on how utterly hideous some of Gary Chalk's illustrations of people are. That second troubadour looks like a corpse. An ugly corpse.

If memory serves, a headshot of that guy was used for the death tally in the first thread.

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

Put away our weapons, we can always attack with our brain if things go south.

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

While I will admit to general ignorance of book IV, I have never explored the mine before. So south.

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

Fight him in the face!

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

Will you light my candle?

Yes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

ASAP (as sea as possible)