Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

achtungnight posted:

I didn't realize the Cener Druids cameoed so early! :)
Yes, they do. That whole area is full of assholes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

The Cauldron of Fear is probably my favorite if you ignore the super hard final boss who is hard to beat even with the Sommerswerd but an instant kill with the dagger of Vashna.Actually i think it's the book where you start getting harder fight if you have the sommerswerd.

Toplowtech fucked around with this message at 11:08 on Dec 23, 2017

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Jedit posted:

I like the world-building, but this is where I started hating the gameplay. Too many situations where you pick the wrong choice and die, and there's either no hints as to the right choice or it's counter-intuitive.
Yeah that's the point where you seriously need the hunter/divination skills to dodge 80% of the bullshit deaths. And even with divination you can't dodge the "end up in taxidermy form" death in this book because i quote the book "the taxidermist wanted to preserve you for future generations, so you didn't felt him as a threat!".

Toplowtech fucked around with this message at 13:52 on Dec 23, 2017

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Bring one Laumspur, the Fireseeds, 2 meals and a Rope.

Weaponmastery in Dagger for the Dagger of Vashna.

I vote that we pick up Divination this book it's full of bullshit deaths/traps. That and Psi-screen will really help in the next books too.

Toplowtech fucked around with this message at 12:10 on Jan 1, 2018

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Jackard posted:

I vaguely remember Nexus being totally useless, a real trash-tier discipline... so maybe we can actually get it working here!?
I remember being able to swim through boiling hot water and surviving deadly fire like it was nothing. The most worthless skill in most tiers of Lone Wolf power is i think animal control.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Pick the sword and start singing dem bones.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Pick the sword and go sinistra i mean left and hear the word of the lord....

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Morrow posted:

Release the prisoner because we need to buy as much time as possible, with pages of dialogue, to heal.
Release the prisoner Because that's sadly the right meta-gaming answer but also the non-dickish thing to do.

Toplowtech fucked around with this message at 08:08 on Jan 25, 2018

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Tiggum posted:

Please don't say stuff like that. It's perfectly fine to let your prior knowledge of the book/series inform your voting, but actually saying you're doing so is too close to spoiler territory.
Okay then so let's keep talking with that guy FOR PURELY ROLEPLAY reasons.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

1) Pathsmanship because believe me gently caress any jungle that isn't an electronic sub-genre. Also finishing another circle is good.
2) New Weaponmastery: Maces, for the maces in the rare occurrences where they are useful.
3) Special Items to keep: i do not remember most of this book (is it the one where you have a big choice at the start?) but i do not remember it being bullshit so bring the good stuff (Sommerswerd, the dagger, the bow and the armor pieces over the extra stuff like the maces).
4)Things to retrieve from storage&New Equipment: basically get everything back (bring a rope) since our backpack died in the previous book's last chapter. RIP backpack.

Toplowtech fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Jan 28, 2018

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

StuG Jeebus posted:

Why couldn't we tell Paido not to eat the poison
Don't put yourself between a magi and his food is a famous local proverb.

Also one more vote for the mine.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

The_White_Crane posted:

:psyduck:
Is Lone Wolf alright? That seems... really out of character. "Cheeky" is just not something I associate with the character.
Actually, speaking isn't really something I associate with Lone Wolf.
For some reason i have always imagined that the role of Lone Wolf was played by 70s Clint Eastwood, so i guess it's his kind of "cheeky". Just imagine Paido is an orangutan.

Take one silver and get into the mine.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Tiggum posted:

Did someone say something about this book being unusually punishing? Although honestly I think we all knew that was a bad idea. Our effective combat skill will increase by two points to 31 at the end of this book, but our base combat skill without any of our bonuses or penalties will remain at 16 until we do something else to change it (such as completing another lore circle).
There is also a part in the beginning of the book where the special item bow can be destroyed.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Imagine Paido telling the story about that time he nearly died because a kai master tried to nuke a forest.

Toplowtech fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Feb 11, 2018

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

1. New Discipline: Psi-screen
  2. New Weaponmastery: Quarterstaff
  3. Things to put in storage: The Sommerswerd, like we definitively should for that one book
  4. Things to retrieve from storage: The dagger of Vashna, also bring that magic ring we got last book.
  5. New Equipment: ???

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

nelson posted:

We have an invitation and wish to use it.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

nelson posted:

”Hello there sexy lizard lady. I’m here to find the Lorestone of McGuffiness but I’ll settle for love.” :swoon:

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

You chill with your god in the later books.

Help the soldiers.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

1.Psi-Surge. We will really need Divination next book too. Animal Mastery not only isn't that useful and Curing is better anyway because it get a "if HP<xx gain +YYHP" once per book at higher levels.
2.Quarterstaff Mastery
3.Store the Invitation and Receipt. Like literally don't ever drop the Sword in this particular book. Definitively keep that new ring we got too.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Tiggum posted:

Do we want to look for Sebb Jarel at Pirsi or accompany Prince Graygor to Cetza?
I think Sebb Jarel is [snip!] and Prince Graygor's battle is [snip!], but i will let you people decide.

Somebody fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Mar 8, 2018

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Comstar posted:

Despite playing this book several times and seeing hints you *can* go via the Isle of Ghosts, I never found the way to to do it.

Both routes are interesting and quite dramatically different from what I recall.

Lets go via the Hellswamp and go find Sebb Jarel at Pirs.
I think the only advantage of the Hellswamp is [snip!]

Somebody fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Mar 8, 2018

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Voting AAR too: always attack Roark

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Just throw a coin in the air and let chance choose for us.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

No-one should say no to free gear. Get the gear.

Toplowtech fucked around with this message at 12:33 on Mar 29, 2018

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Eat the berries.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Use the bow to kill the dragon we literally killed a god already and this book can be finished even if it's the first one we play. We should be safe. :suicide:

Toplowtech fucked around with this message at 13:22 on Apr 2, 2018

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Slavic Crime Yacht posted:

Does that silver rod ever actually do anything?
In a later book i think, why did you guys take it and left the Dagger of vashna behind is beyond me. The dagger get an insane + bonus against darklord too and don't cost permanent endurance.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

nelson posted:

We have a bow and a magic arrow. We wish to use them.
Yeah, that.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1wc-AQJ2MYo

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

This book and the first other books of the superomegagreatmaster series have always felt weird to me, like at this point Denver had no idea what to put us against thematically after the darklord defeat. Just the same as before but with more bullshit deaths and bigger CS/END. My favorite part (aka Lone wolf spending one week digging himself out of a loving collapsed underground place) is coming soon anyway.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Tiggum posted:

I'd also like to see some votes on this as a new rule going forward.
Voting yeah i favor of the "Laumspur as soon as possible after EP drops below 20" rule.

Also north wall.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

achtungnight posted:

Stairs. Lone Wolf really shouldn't be climbing walls at his advanced age.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Use telegnosis

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

moosecow333 posted:

Man, I feel like all we’ve done this book is explode, almost get killed by a log, completed a basic math problem, and turned left a lot.
That's literally what you do in most lone wolf book. Next book we dig too.
Also another vote for Kai-:2bong: .

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Smash Cadak's Palantir.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

2x2=4
4x2=8

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Guy Fawkes posted:

It's ALWAYS time to use our splendid Bow!
Next Lone Wolf thread we should all agree to never wish to use the bow.
But this time, let's use the bow.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Oh yeaah, the "it took 15 days to dig yourself out of that place using the sommerswurd as a shovel" moment, my favorite part of the hyperkay series.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

So we are fighting the evil Walt Disney company.Careful their lawyers are powerful.
Take the silver rod and ROW ROW YOUR BOAT QUICKLY DOWN THE STREAM.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Comstar posted:

Grand Weaponmastery sword and dagger. I think it's going to be time to use the The Dagger of Vashna. Also, a flaming Somersword.