Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

This is not an "adopt my cat" thread.

Due to circumstances outside my control, I have to leave the country for six to eight weeks starting in about a month, after which I will return and would like to get my cats back.

I have a pair of bonded cats, about 12 years old, I've had them perhaps 10 years. One is healthy and strong, shouldn't have trouble finding him a temporary home. The other has lost about 30% body weight in 8 months, after being to three different vets still don't have a strong diagnosis, but did identify a possible infection and (probably unrelated) enlarged heart, this requires two pills in the morning (diuretic and antibiotic), and the same two again at night, plus a diet of wet food.

I looked at petfinder and adopt-a-cat, I'm not seeing where I can register my pet for adoption. Another option I am looking at is to find someone to take care of both pets together, or possibly two people to look after the pets independently until I return.

Questions:

1. what does it cost to put up a pet for adoption, especially if they have medical needs, where do I go to list my cat on petfinder, adopt-a-pet.
2. can i pay someone (craigslist ad?) to take care of my cats, what is the per day? we've paid a cat sitter before when we went to a wedding and the daily rate was $40 a day, but only came once a day
3. other options?

I'm a recent transplant to the bay area so I don't have a good network here yet to "dump" them on someone like a family member or close friend. My girlfriend's sister lives nearby but is terrified of cats, I can't imagine her pilling my cat twice a day. She also travels frequently.

4. How do you "sell" the idea of taking care of a dying cat? Abandoning my cat for six weeks is hard enough to think about, I'm struggling with how to make this sound palatable.

My poor cat probably has another month, possibly two or three months left in her, euthanasia seems cruel when she's still moving around and eating and whatnot. Trying to feel out my options here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Anybody?

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

i don't know, talk to a local cat rescue. shoot them to mars. whatever.

lizard_phunk
Oct 23, 2003

Alt Girl For Norge
If I were in your shoes and the oldest cat is actually dying, I would consider euthanasia.

Depending on the situation, it might be less cruel that leaving her sick with a stranger.

At least your other cat could get used to being alone with you before you leave. It's probably easier to rehome one cat temporarily as well.

Disco Salmon
Jun 19, 2004

lizard_phunk posted:

If I were in your shoes and the oldest cat is actually dying, I would consider euthanasia.

Depending on the situation, it might be less cruel that leaving her sick with a stranger.

At least your other cat could get used to being alone with you before you leave. It's probably easier to rehome one cat temporarily as well.

I would be crying my eyes out if I had to make that decision....

I hate to say it as well, but I do think lizard_phunk is right. It might be best for all around.

• Locked thread