Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
I'm the
Crazy One
Badass Princess
Unstable
Leader
#Sassy #NoFilter
Eale Eye
Macho Man
Explosive Head
View Results

• Locked thread
mancalamania
Oct 23, 2008
I can’t believe this is so hard to Google, but is there any way to switch the starting position of your party members on a map? I get that Mario might be locked in a “team leader” starring position, but I can’t figure out if or how I can swap the other two.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mancalamania
Oct 23, 2008
It wasn’t a big issue for a while, but some of those 1-turn challenges would be a lot easier if I had the right team members in the right spot.

mancalamania
Oct 23, 2008

bef posted:

? they are made to be done within the turn of where your guys are. its fool-proof and if its tough thats all on you

Okay then maybe I’m missing a mechanic then because how can you do challenge 1-3 without having a 8-space movement character in the middle position for Mario to jump on (or, alternatively, a 7-space character with Mario also having 7-space movement). I know I can change the skill trees to make the other characters have more movement, but why do I have to do that when I already have a 7-space Luigi with itchy feet stuck on the other side of the river?

Also if the starting placement is essentially randomized between the 3 party members like the poster above was saying, that seems to contradict the claim that the developers accounted for the starting positions went designing the map and a particular starting formation would trivialize the map.

mancalamania
Oct 23, 2008
Okay I figured it out now, thanks. I'm a dope and thought: (1) super effects 100% meant MY super effects were 100%'d not the enemies, (2) that the challenge ended at the end of MY turn and not the enemy's.

mancalamania
Oct 23, 2008

WHY BONER NOW posted:

Oh my god, running through the worlds again to find the challenges and use Beepo's new abilities is such a loving slog.

I had fun with it in the first two worlds, but the third world was such a pain to navigate because of all the branching paths and loops and everything looking the same. I ended up missing two chests there where they will stay un-found for the rest of my life.

This game is really great by the way. I like how even the "supa hard" challenges are actually doable without spending hours minmaxing skill trees and planning out a turn-perfect strategy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mancalamania
Oct 23, 2008
I think someone earlier in the thread said that while the overworld isn't "good," it's great as a cooldown between the more mentally-taxing battles, and I agree entirely. In fact, now I wish every turn-based strategy game had a big dumb overworld with easy environmental puzzles in them.

Except for backtracking through World 3, that part was terrible.

ETA: In other turn-based strategy games I usually can only do one battle per sitting, but in this game I constantly got caught in the loop of doing a battle, being ready to clock out but deciding to lazily explore the next area of the overworld, and then by the time I discovered the next battle I would be ready to play again.

mancalamania fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Oct 21, 2017

• Locked thread