Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
I'm the
Crazy One
Badass Princess
Unstable
Leader
#Sassy #NoFilter
Eale Eye
Macho Man
Explosive Head
View Results

• Locked thread
Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
I like how Rabbid Peach just straight murders a dude and takes selfies with him as he falls to his death.

goddamn

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

DalaranJ posted:

Well I got my first non-perfect to the miniboss in World 2 because of those adds. They died really quick though.

In my opinion, one of the best buys on the skill tree is movement+1 for Rabbid Luigi because of how often the game tries to chump you out of a dash first turn.

Also why Luigi and Rabbid Luigi synergize a ton.

Movement for the movement god :black101:

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
It doesn't help that Beep-o's just kind of an rear end in a top hat and no one else reacts to the interjections at all.

I do like that ~his biggest fan~ keeps calling him out on being a dick though. Since literally the only other member of the party who talks is Peach.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Zelder posted:

I wish you could dash into an enemy and stomp jump them in the same movement phase

You can dash an enemy and stomp on another enemy in range at least. It makes Mario kind of insane once you buff his movement damage.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
I just got Rabbid Mario and he doesn't seem that good? Like his movement is pretty low and he doesn't get multi-people bounce like Luigi, and his weapons are gently caress you close range.

I dunno, I feel like I'd rather have either Luigi instead

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Lakbay posted:

I haven't bought a weapon with it yet, but it reads like Stone inflicts everything but bounce and burn. Is there some huge drawback to it because that sounds like a no-brainer to buy if a weapon has it

Its usually competing with Vampire and on units who take a ton of damage like Rabbid Mario

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

SeANMcBAY posted:

I wish you could switch out Mario.

Same.

He's pretty good I guess but Peach and Luigi would be amazing:(

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
3-7 is probably the roughest chapter in the game so far. I actually had to mix up my team to beat it without a death and ditch Rabbid Yoshi.

Rabbid Yoshi is pretty meh overall? He gets an insane number of enemy dashes, but the lowest damage on them in the game. Grenades are basically the worst secondary weapon type and his minigun is kinda pathetic and has a stupidly low crit chance. His yell is okay for triggering overwatch or playing keepaway from the smashy dudes, but his shield is really bad compared to the rest of the Rabbids since it only lasts for 1 or 2 hits.

Hes also the only Rabbid without healing or Vampire access, has the worst health of anyone but Luigi (who is holy poo poo squishy) and generally feels pretty :effort:

I do like his animations though

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Argue posted:

Does Rabbid Mario have some kind of heal?

He has the Vampire property as an option for both his weapons. So its way less consistent than Rabbid Peach's heal or Rabbid Luigi's Vampire Dash, but it gives him some sustain.

He also has insane alpha striking ability. I've definitely come around on him.

Can I also say its weird both kinds of crits cost the same to buy for every character when some are wildly superior? Mario/Rabbid Peach/Peach are mostly okay with both elements offering okay benefits but everyone else clearly just wants one while the other pales in comparison. Vampire, Ink and Stone are just ridiculous compared to Fire/Freeze/Honey/Push/Bounce

Zore fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Sep 3, 2017

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
Rabbid Yoshi has my favorite animations of any of them. Its adorable :3:

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

mandatory lesbian posted:

Honey is still useful as it's the only stopping effect Mario has (that i've seen), and push and bounce have a place in maps with a lot of holes to push enemies in, but they are def more situational

i agree that fire/freeze are lame pretty much always, like I guess freeze might stop an enemy from overwatching but fire is random movement and half the time it seems they run away out of my firing range for the other characters, I hate fire tbh

Biggest issue I have with Honey is that Mario contributes damage mostly with his hammer, and honey is basically useless against the big dudes I want him to stomp then smash sinces its usually the Bruisers or Valkyries who you want to get away from you if possible.

Its okay on the blaster, but since the teleporting fuckers don't proc overwatch it isn't useful against the one enemy type I really want it for.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Tender Bender posted:

Lol still in world 1, I'm bitter that I spent my coins on new weapons and then immediately unlocked weapons that are the exact same but more damage/increased critical chance.

How do you do a golden shot?

Massive overkill on an enemy. Not sure of the exact threshold, but it becomes more common as you get better weapons.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Nephzinho posted:

Stepped away from the game for the weekend, coming back to the world 4 midboss. As I start planning out the week's gaming time, looking at the challenges they do really seem to be gear dependent so that wolrd 1-2-3 challenges should be a cakewalk, I have hated exploration thusfar and won't bother with 100%'ing -- are there any post-game extra hard bosses? Are the secret worlds worth doing or is having endgame gear going to make them dull? Are there "ultimate weapons"? Really not sure what kind ofpost-game content there is if the challenges and secrets were meant to be played in sequence, and if so why they wouldn't have just made them into levels.

There's a secret chapter that unlocks after every completed world that pits you against the midboss in a tougher stage or with harder enemies. Beating it unlocks golden weapons of the next world's tier which have a bonus crit chance against midbosses.

They're always unlocked using the power you gained at the end of the world.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
Beep-0 is such an rear end in a top hat, its great.

Also everyone getting tired of Toad and Toadette's poo poo in world 3.

My favorite dumb joke is still;

"What if the box just has like an old telescope on it?"

"You think???? Well... I guess I'd still let you have it "

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Sarchasm posted:

How am I supposed to best deal with the chargers? I don't feel like the maps are big enough to space them out, and even ping-ponging them between two characters they'll eventually catch up to someone.

I beat XCOM on Iron Man mode and World 2 is just beating my rear end. Everything is so goddamn chaotic.

Upgrade your weapons. Mario's hammers will do a huge chunk of damage to them so use them as a finishing blow. They also don't react to dashes or stomps so whittle them down with those first.

Also remember, Ink status stops them from attacking so always make sure Luigi has Ink weapons. Mario and Rabbid Peach can neuter them with Honey. Mario/Luigi have overwatch you can activate before pulling them with someone else...

There are a ton of ways to handle them. Plus you get Rabbid Mario and Peach soon and their weapons are pretty absurd for damage.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
Also the reveal had some hilariously badly translated poo poo.

Like there was a poster of Mario with "Turtle Shelves???" On it which was just bizarre.

Never Forget

Zore fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Sep 5, 2017

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

al-azad posted:

Honestly I think this image is super important because Nintendo jealously guards their characters and maintains the status quo pretty hard but when another dev works on their properties you get stuff like Peach and Bowser as playable characters. I really want to see Zelda farmed out more because that's one series Nintendo is adamant about keeping traditional. Like Triforce heroes should've been Link, Ganon, and Zelda you have three loving triforce users with unique abilities and infinite possibilities to team them up (if one triforce hero dies you all die, go fight this greater evil) but it's three goddamn Links.

Nintendo is way more open to experimenting with Mario than any other property really. Peach has been playable in most of the platformers released over the last few years, and even stuff like Bowser being playable crops up semi regularly in the RPG entries like Mario+Luigi and Paper Mario.

And honestly a lot of series iteration and experimentation has been for the worse. Let's not forget Paper Mario post Thousand Year Door, the new Pikmin 3DS game that's a platformer, Federation Force, Metroid: Other M, Star Fox Adventures.... which were all attempts to move away from 'traditional' versions of the game.

Mario and Pokemon, and recently Zelda, are their only franchises big enough that they put out mainline games and a lot of weird/niche spinoffs. Some of which become huge and good (Mario Kart) while others flounder (Pokemon Conquest). Contrast it with, say, Donkey Kong where if you put out a weird and experimental title like Jungle Beat its literally the only Donkey Kong you get for like 8 years.

Zore fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Sep 5, 2017

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

al-azad posted:

It's not the gameplay I'm worried about, I still think even the worst Nintendo games are at worse average. But even when they try a new design it's still Bowser at it again, or Andross attacking the galaxy, Ganon ruining poo poo, whatever. You have the biggest catalog of recognizable characters outside of Disney, do something fun with them.

Like Smash? :v:

Also they deliberately get away from all those things you mention pretty often? Like of the last 6 Zelda games, Ganon isn't even there in 3 of them.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Macaluso posted:

Oh my god gently caress ink, what a pain in the rear end mechanic

edit:

FIVE TURNS? loving HOW

Have you tried using Peach over Luigi? Her Shotgun and healing is insanely useful on that level since it makes the status clearing a lot better.

I think I did it in 4 turns with her and RLuigi

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
Why the gently caress does Rabbid Luigi lose Vampire on his initial world 4 guns and replace it with Push? Everyone else has their elements stay consistent, and his were for the first 3 worlds.

:psyduck:

I think I might just stick with his world 3 stuff since inflicting Vampire from a distance is the only way I can get Luigi to survive.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
When do you get real Yoshi? Im at the midboss of World 4 and he still hasn't shown up.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Macaluso posted:

I never go with anything but bounce, maybe vamp in second. Bounce is my favorite. I hate honey/freeze/ink. Fire is alright sometimes.

Ink is absolutely amazing though? Like Luigi can fire off 5 shots of it in a turn with his overwatch and normal shot and it just completely shuts down anythinh it hits for a turn.

Luigi wouls be completely unusable in later worlds with his poo poo health pool if he didn't have Ink.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Folt The Bolt posted:

I'm rather partial to Stone and Vampiric as the best effects, with Ink being solid third best (as disabling an enemy's standard attack options is incredibly powerful). While Honey can't activate Overwatches like Bounce can, I find it's effect of disabling movement more useful than potentially adding some extra damage by bouncing/pushing enemies out of bound if I'm lucky and the enemy's positioned right. I personally think Bounce is better than Push, though both kinda do the same thing in the end, are both rather situational effects, and I think the enemy makes better use of them than you do. That said, I find both better in the hands of the player than the Fire and Freeze effects which are both extremely situational and considerably more useful in the hands of the enemy, though I'm unsure which of those is actually the worst status effect in the game.

If I remember right:

Mario: Bounce and Honey
Rabbid Peach: Honey and Push
Rabbid Luigi: Fire, Push, Stone, and Vampiric
Luigi: Ink and Bounce
Rabbid Mario: Stone and Vampiric
Peach: Fire and Freeze
Rabbid Yoshi: Push and Stone
Yoshi: Unsure about his effects

Yoshi gets Freeze and Ink.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
Jesus this world 4 Midboss is the roughest. Only stage in the game I've had to restart 10 times and you have to replay the stage before it every time.

And the absolute worst is when I finally beat it no deaths I took 4 turns and par was 3 :shepicide:

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Macaluso posted:

Uh wow what? Having to restart at the first fight when you restart on the Bowser Jr fight is like weirdly unnecessarily harsh. Probably the only time in this game I thought "Wow that's bullshit"

Yeah. The Bowser jr. Fight has an absurdly tight time limit too, 3 turns.

It took me like 5 times to beat it without someone dying and I took 4 turns :shepicide:. Only stage in the game I didn't perfect because gently caress replaying both levels again.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Dr Cheeto posted:

Just got Rabbid Yoshi and I'm not entirely sure what his deal is but I'm always down for more forced movement abilities and I finally have access to the good shield Hoppers use. Also his dash looks like a straight-up better version of what Rabbid Peach has going on.

Rumblebangs: how do they work? If I'm firing at someone behind cover does each individual shot have a chance of hitting the target? Is this a good way of destroying cover without explosives? There's no spread, right?

No Rumblebangs work identically to normal guns just with a higher natural damage range and generally lower crit chance. It makes them work like Axes do in a lot of RPGs where they can hit for big numbers or do pathetic damage.

Regular Yoshi has a skill to guarantee crits which makes him an absolute damage monster.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Tender Bender posted:

That makes sense. Do grenaducks ever become good? I can't see many situations where they're more useful than either rockets or sentries.

They can arc over cover which is situationally useful.

They're basically the Blasters of the secondary weapon though.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

SeANMcBAY posted:

What kind of weapons should I have priority in buying? Money seems kinda tight and I don’t want to possibly get screwed over on something and have to grind.

I’m also letting the skill tree auto-fill since I’m new to these kinda games. Is that a bad idea?

Mario is always required so definitely grab his stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

spit on my clit posted:

don't pretend they would put in any rabbid other than rabbid mario, which i would enjoy a lot because he was the only good rabbid in battle

Rabbid Luigi was hella good in battle. And Rabbid Yoshi was... a thing I guess.

Really though it would be Rabbid Peach and it isn't even a contest. She got all the focus/fanart/cutscene jokes.

• Locked thread