Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
I'm the
Crazy One
Badass Princess
Unstable
Leader
#Sassy #NoFilter
Eale Eye
Macho Man
Explosive Head
View Results

• Locked thread
ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I was actually about to say that I just got Rabbid Mario and tried him out, and I am wondering whether anything will get me to switch from Mario/Luigi/Rabbid Luigi, they so perfectly complement each other and cover all the bases. Rabbid Mario's friendly fire makes him more finicky to use and I don't like his secondary abilities

I run Mario, rLuigi, and either Luigi or rMario depending on the fight.

If it's a fight with lots of enemies or little space, rMario is the way to go. Use his taunt to bring enemies together into a ball, then dash them, then shoot them. He's the best crowd control in the game.

Luigi is much better if there are a smaller number of targets, or if there's plenty of room for him to flank and set up reaction shot traps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

well why not posted:

I'm super, super bad at this game. 2-2 was basically a suicide op for me. Kinda hoping that it's one of those games that actually ends up getting easier as you play, because drat I am not doing well.

Upgrade your weapons.

Don't be afraid to change your character lineup and/or respec their skills. Both are free.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Deltron 3030 posted:

.Are there style points?

There should be.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

spit on my clit posted:

things i like about the game so far (just got through the Buckler encounter)

-Mario's Hero Sight upgrades are cheap compared to other character's special upgrades
-Luigi hasn't dabbed yet
-Rabbids aren't as loud and frequently screaming as I thought they'd be
-Gameplay is great
-what the gently caress why did they make rabbid mario the best character in the game

things I don't like

-doesnt tell me what the turn limit to get a perfect is until i finish the encounter
-first boss sucked
-game keeps crashing on trying to start challenge 1-9
-every time i buy a weapon a newer, better one becomes available almost immediately, curse my lack of self control

Excuse me the first boss owned, and the cutscene after owned even more.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Midboss of World 3 was...pretty easy?

I had more trouble with the level after, when the Valkyries show up.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Lakbay posted:

I had the complete reverse experience with those levels

Actually it was the level after I had trouble with. The one with the Boos.

I think I could take out the level easily on another try, but I forgot how Boos work the first time, and Luigi got teleported into the middle of the entire enemy force. Oops.

The boss, though. Mario, rLuigi, rMario. Killed all the basic enemies turn one. Boss dead by the end of turn 3. Rabbid Mario got shot like twice.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

My go-to squad is Mario plus (pick two of) Rabbid Luigi, Rabbid Mario, Luigi.

Depends on the map and enemy composition.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Macaluso posted:

Uh wow what? Having to restart at the first fight when you restart on the Bowser Jr fight is like weirdly unnecessarily harsh. Probably the only time in this game I thought "Wow that's bullshit"

Trigger M-Power with Mario, and Rabbid Mario with all the dash/speed upgrades can clear out all three of the center enemies in one round. Dash the two bucklers, magnet dance to pull the supporter in, hammer the lot into oblivion.

Then set luigi up on overwatch on one side or the other with sight on the buckler. He'll kill whichever one you choose.

Round two: kill the other guy.

Then for Bowser Jr you do the same thing, except it takes longer and you need to use the pipes to surround him so the overwatch shots pull him one direction, then the other, and back. Just never let Bowser Jr end adjacent to Rabbid Mario, even if it means not getting optimal, full-damage shots.

Ignore the valks except for movement attacks. They'll usually die from taking damage through their shield.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

I finished up the main story campaign last night, and enjoyed every last minute of the game.

I'm probably going to do all the challenges, and play all the co-op stuff too. Game seriously owns.

Favorite bits include:
-Everything about Rabbid Peach is wonderful, from her ruthless behavior to the fact that she looks like a dumpy middle-aged man in drag.
-World 3. All of it. Especially the boss, who had me laughing my rear end off.
-In general this game has hilarious story and cut scenes. (Some of the text jokes fall flat, see below)
-Beep-O being a giant rear end in a top hat to everyone, especially Toad.

Things they could do better:
-I want to be able to drop Mario from my party.
-There was no reason to use anyone other than Rabbid Luigi, Rabbid Mario, and Luigi (pick 2 to go with Mario: rLuigi if you need healing, rMario if you need AOE damage, Luigi if you need movement speed and/or single-target damage). This group can perfect every level.
-If you're wandering around, and you get the contextual "look" button above Beep-O, don't bother. It's some snarky remark about some stupid Rabbid doing some stupid thing. It got old by world 2.
-Some of the overworld puzzles were dull. They weren't hard, they just took time to complete.

Wish List for the Inevitable Sequel:
-Bring in traditional Mario baddies as enemies, map hazards, or both. I want to kick turtle shells at hammer bros through a line of Goombas while Lakitu throws spinies into the world.
-More "puzzle" style bosses (world 3 boss had a basic puzzle aspect) and fewer surprise transformations.
-More alternate win conditions like "reach area". A coin generating/collecting mechanic would be great.
-More abilities with tradeoffs. Rabbid Mario, for example, does huge AOE damage--but deals friendly fire, too. Made him more challenging to use.
-Multiplayer would be amazing, especially if they bring in more advanced tricks like moving a dude through a pipe to trigger an overwatch from Peach that hits her own team also.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

The Hebug posted:

This Bowser Jr midboss battle without anybody dying is hard.

Round 1: Mario does M-Power (you have this maxed, right?), then move Mario and Luigi to opposite sides of the arena. Activate Hero Sight/Steely Stare. Shoot Jr with your third guy, watch as Jr aggros back and forth due to overwatch shots.

Shoot with Mario or Luigi (whoever is furthest), then the other. Move third guy somewhere safe.

Jr should be at least half dead, and the valk that did the shield is probably dead through the feedback effect.

Round 2: you won't have overwatch, but just juggle Jr's location by choosing who shoots in what order.

Round 3: If overwatch is back, repeat round 1, else repeat round 2. Repeat this step until Jr is dead.

Edit: seriously just ignore the valks.

ConfusedUs fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Sep 18, 2017

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

PneumonicBook posted:

Going to have a hard time activating mpower and Mario's overwatch on the same turn though.

You're right. So just do Overwatch. The key is the back-and-forth overwatch fire to pull him in multiple directions (resulting in him not moving very far at all).

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

mancalamania posted:

I can’t believe this is so hard to Google, but is there any way to switch the starting position of your party members on a map? I get that Mario might be locked in a “team leader” starring position, but I can’t figure out if or how I can swap the other two.

There's no official way to do it. I did some testing myself by swapping out dudes and I found that

1) Swapping a dude for another dude seems to put new dude in the same position as the old.
2) If you quit and restart the mission, the placement of your three dudes seems to be randomized to some extent

I did not ever try:
Take dude A, swap him for dude B.
Then swap dude C for dude A.
If you still want dude C, try putting him in for B.

This might work. If not, quit and restart a few times until you get the placement you want.

Or just roll with it, because all that is too much drat work.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Wonder if he can actually scale walls in game. That'd be pretty cool and differentiate him from others.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

JohnnySmitch posted:

Man, I'm really hitting a wall on the world 4 midboss. I'm starting to consider changing up my go-to team of Mario-Luigi-Ruigi - I love using Ruigi to absolutely decimate the Lava Bucklers in the first part with his vamp dash, but I just can't keep my guys alive against the boss in part two (since I can't abuse vamp to heal the others). I feel like I need to keep Luigi in to take advantage of his crazy range, but he's SO spongy...

I used rMario instead of rLuigi

Break mario to one side and luigi to the other. Set up overwatch for both. Keep rMario in his starter area.

Shoot the boss with rMario. Boss will charge, triggering both overwatches back and forth. He'll be 1/3rd dead or so, with the feedback killing the Valk that shielded him. Stay alive (probably shooting the other valk) until overwatch is available again. If anyone has to eat a hit, make it anyone but Luigi; sometimes this means drawing the boss in by shooting him with someone else.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

JohnnySmitch posted:

Thanks for this! It worked pretty decently for me (even though Luigi still ended up biting it, and I finished 2 turns past "perfect", getting only a "fair"). These last levels are pretty brutal! I'm on the battle now were you start pretty much surrounded by a bunch of Peek-a-boos, Bucklers, and Smashers, and my "aggressive offense" strategy hasn't worked even a little.

I used Mario, and any two of rMario, rLuigi, and Luigi through the entire back half of the game.

rLuigi is the best healer in the game. Give him a vamp weapon and he can snipe people with vamp status from almost anywhere; he's only outranged by Luigi. If they're close you just vamp dash. Either way, this means that any other high-damage character is going to heal to full (or nearly so) after every attack. His damage is poo poo compared to the other three on this list, though, so sometimes you just don't bring him.

rMario is the best crowd control in the game. Run him into the middle of a group, use his taunt to bring everyone close, then it's hammer or shotgun time. As long as you don't leave him to eat more than about 3 shots, or 2 smashes, he'll survive. Then see rLuigi's entry above. Assuming everything isn't just dead, which it might be. It *will* be dead if you triggered Mario's M-Power first. Honestly, I rarely put rMario into cover against groups. There's no point. Someone's going to flank him anyway. His best defense is a good offense.

Luigi is a monster with the best single-target damage in the game. Use his crazy mobility to get him onto high ground, one-shot something, then turn on overwatch. He's going to kill *at least* one or two more things in the movement phase. The only trick is that, by the last half of World 4, he dies in one hit to smashers every time, sometimes dies in one hit to valks, and two hits of anything else. You have to keep him somewhere the enemy cannot reach him, and that means turning all his movement options up to 11, and THEN focus on damage boosts. Both high ground damage and overwatch stuff are worth every point, but only if you can keep him alive.

Mario is your generalist. He's above average support, damage, everything. You should be using his specials every single turn they're available. M-Powering rMario or Luigi on turn 1 all but guarantees most of the enemies who could possibly attack you are dead. But make sure you keep him safe unless you brought rLuigi. It really sucks when Marios survives a map with like 3hp, but there's still another level before the full heal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Wildtortilla posted:

loving hell the difficulty of this game spikes abruptly at challenge 1-9. I've tried this five times at least aND these thunder slammers are killing my entire party. This game suddenly feels more like Fire Emblem than XCOM and I'm enjoying it far less. Too much restarting and figuring out the intended solution to each encounter (Fire Emblem) isn't nearly as fun as making things work on the fly (XCOM). I hope this isn't a sign of what's to come.

The challenges are both optional and puzzles; it's likely you need to re-spec, try a new tactic, or even an entirely new set of characters. There's more than one that's only solvable via Luigi's double jump, for example.

On 1-9 I used Mario, Luigi, Rabbid Luigi. M-Power the group turn one, vamp dash as many as possible with RLuigi (probably worth re-speccing for movement), get Luigi up high, make sure baddies can't get to him, get as many enemies to X health where X <= however much damage Luigi does with overwatch, shoot with Luigi last and turn on overwatch, watch as he kills like 3 dudes in one turn because Luigi is a stone cold killer.

Edit: Also RLuigi's area damage thing is really good if you can wrangle them close to each other. And also don't forget the smashers can hurt each other!

ConfusedUs fucked around with this message at 08:06 on Jan 22, 2018

• Locked thread