Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
I'm the
Crazy One
Badass Princess
Unstable
Leader
#Sassy #NoFilter
Eale Eye
Macho Man
Explosive Head
View Results

• Locked thread
Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

For me, Rabbids has inched up the Splatoon path of "This looks dumb" to "this looks surprisingly good but I'm not getting it" and is almost at "definitely buying" status. Just need some feedback from non-influencers to confirm the game is decently engaging the whole way through.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I don't expect this game to last nearly as long as XCOM, and the time value there was not so much in an individual campaign but because of the huge effects of variance within the missions and character death, neither of which this game has. (I assume, I don't picture this as the kind of game where Yoshi can be permadead but who knows)

But 20 hours seems like it would be pretty solid and I could see myself going through the campaign a second time on a higher difficulty

Yea this is my concern, the real draw of XCOM isn't just the classes but more how the permadeath influences your decisions and how your campaign changes and gets emergent narratives based on that.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

I still have to finish BOTW, as well as Shovel Knight, I'm near the end of SMT IV on my 3ds, and I have a half dozen games in my backlog on Wii U and 3ds... but I really want to buy this.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Oh man I wanna see how a team of Mario Luigi and Peach do

That's when I found out I'm required by law to have a rabbid on my team. That's kind of bizarre, I mean I admit I wanted to see the slapstick bullshit that would happen with 3 overwatch skills proccing but I guess not now.

Anyone know if I'll be able to remove Mario at some point? His jump is super useful and it's not like he's bad by any stretch of the imagination but it feels more and more bizarre as my party grows that I can only swap in 2 people.

I was thinking about how if this game does well it will be a pretty positive boost to the Rabbids IP and a smart move by Ubisoft to shove them in there. And then the cynical part of me realized that the "one rabbid must be in the party" thing is probably because of that. Play with a rabbid, they grow on you, then you're wanting rabbids as an assist trophy in Smash.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Just played the first bit of this, and I have to say I really like the in between mission running around? Like it's simple and basically downtime, but a lot of times in say Fire Emblem I'll finish a tough mission and want to just chill out for a bit before diving into another, instead of slamming them down rapid fire. Some other people probably feel the opposite though.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

I can't believe this game slowly built up hype since E3 and then at the last minute hit me with a Grant Kirkhope finishing blow. I'm surprised I didn't hear about that until last week.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

This game is making me like rabbids and I don't know how I feel about that.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Lol still in world 1, I'm bitter that I spent my coins on new weapons and then immediately unlocked weapons that are the exact same but more damage/increased critical chance.

How do you do a golden shot?

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

It is kind of weird to plan out meta-strategy in an XCOM-like that I'm intending to complete and move on from, instead of playing in perpetuity.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

I wish you could swap out Mario. The "must have a rabbids" thing isn't even a factor so far because the rabbids are so good I never want to have them out of my party.

Also the low-framerate jumping beans in World 2 are loving with my head.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Wow the World 2 boss is super lame in both style and mechanics, especially after how neat the World 1 boss was.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Halfway through world 4 and the only time I've used anyone besides Luigi and the Rabbid Bros I was just intentionally trying to mix it up.

Rabbid Peach is OK but healing is way less desirable than just being able to kill dudes faster, plus Vampire exists. Grenaducks seem like trash.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Beelzebozo posted:

Once you start facing the endgame challenges you realize that R.Peach isn't about healing as much as she's about having a second sentry. Remote AOE is pretty much essential to mob control in the hardest scenarios (R.Mario melee AOE just gets murdered instantly).

That makes sense. Do grenaducks ever become good? I can't see many situations where they're more useful than either rockets or sentries.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

WHY BONER NOW posted:

Oh my god, running through the worlds again to find the challenges and use Beepo's new abilities is such a loving slog.

I dunno why you can't just select challenges from a menu. I get the abilities/hidden chest things, not crazy about it but part of what they're doing is a "poking around the environment" game, but why do I have to manually run through the entire world to find the challenges I haven't done?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

DalaranJ posted:

You can select them from a menu, but not until you have manually run through that entire world and found them. Which was a really annoying choice.

I did not know that, thanks! Still annoying.

• Locked thread