Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

No love for the Yellowbird?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

berth ell pup
Mar 20, 2017

I am a business magnet.

Kazinsal posted:

This. An 03-07 (seventh generation) Accord will do you no wrong. Avoid the sixth generation (98-02) like the plague, though; bad transmissions, ignition failures, and fuel delivery problems abound in those.

my 98 has been quite reliable but the transmission finally died this year at ~224k, even though it's a 4 cyl and always had regular fluid changes with the special honda ATF so yeah be careful. it's been in my extended family since new and none of them are hard on their cars so they just die after a while, that's what honda's special snowflake transmissions do.

i bought a new "low mileage" transmission on ebay from a scrapped jdm car for $400 shipped to the freight dock at work and figured out how to put it in myself and it's okay now but it cruises at like 3000 rpm on the interstate so it's not perfect but oh well. final drive ratio was different on the Japanese MAXA vs the American BAXA.

the 7th gen coupes look great and i've always wanted one but I like most accord coupes (except the sixth gen those are not good.)

I know AI wants to play the car game but if you just want a car that does car things Honda or Toyota and definitely not Nissan are good starting points. Then pick model/trim/options as your budget allows. Toyota and Honda haven't made a genuinely bad car in like 40 or 50 years, and you'll always be able to sell a Toyota or Honda because of the nameplate on it. Even at the county impound auctions they both get double what any other car gets, even wrecked and without keys, because of the name on the back.

berth ell pup fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Aug 25, 2017

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Thanks so much for the advice all and also the very excellent bird-themed car suggestions. Tomorrow I'll be driving home a 2002 Celica in absolutely gorgeous condition, with brand new brakes/rotors/tires as apparently the dealership stands up to its extremely high online ratings and maintenances cars before sending them out, along with the usual various guarantees. :)

:stoked:

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?
Yeah but is it a blue celica ?

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Adiabatic posted:

Yeah but is it a blue celica ?

It could have been a Blue Veloster

I personally know they can be very reliable

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?
how bout them black velosters tho

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

gently caress those how bout a BLACK CELICA*??!?!

*pictured: actual car

I think I'm doing this right

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Oh poo poo, birb mod just went hard mode!

you are, gj. Did you get the GTS one with the absurd redline, because I've heard those are rather fun little cars

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

I think it's just a regular old GT. :3: After taking it home today I spent some time visiting local mechanics and getting a feel for them and their establishments, and I found a guy I really like. So, now I have a new car, a new mechanic, and Monday he's going to be giving it a second-opinion once-over and letting me know what I should do to fix it up (I see an oil change and a muffler bracket replacement in my immediate future). I feel like overall I'm sitting pretty. :)

Thank you again friends!

• Locked thread