Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

So I was gonna ask if any of the Valhalla DLC is worth it. I take it that's a no then?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Kirios posted:

So I was gonna ask if any of the Valhalla DLC is worth it. I take it that's a no then?

IMO the ones that happen in the real world are worth it. There's some cool story stuff in Ireland and France.

The ragnarok stuff looks like it could be interesting if you're deeply invested in all the Odin stuff but eehhhhh by the time I got to it I was just ready to be done and didn't give two shits about anything that didn't directly involve Eavor. Also if I want play a norse mythology video game God of War is right there.

edit: France in particular is a look into how the whole game could have been designed with more heavy assassination elements to be very different and, as far as I'm concerned, better.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist
AC DLCs in general suffer from being mostly pointless in the grand scheme of things, except for Odyssey. They disregard the core fantasy of Animus. In most of them the animus user has no reason to go there. Some (like Freedom Cry or Jack the Ripper) make you play as someone who is not connected to Animus at all, yet they maintain the Animus gimmick. I'm not really into a modern day story but if the devs don't even to provide any justification I can't be expected to care at all.

Valhalla's DLCs aren't great cause they're more of the same, and there's enough of the same in the game already. But at least these are the best versions of Valhalla (and also that Odyssey toe-in island is cool). First Origins DLC was quite disappointing because it copied the most boring biome (rocks) and didn't add anything else except lessening the impact of the original game storyline. Turns out Bayek and Aya are not really not together anymore. But the second DLC was the greatest hits of the original game, it's best form in a small package, and also with some additions. This is the best model for AC DLCs I think, but they don't make much sense when the base game is so bloated.

Kirios posted:

So yeah, if you somehow want more Valhalla in your life then both Ireland and France DLCs are fine. I like Ireland DLC but for no objective reason, maybe it's story felt less psychotic to me (France DLC goes to interesting places trying to explain why looting Paris is self-defense really).

ilitarist fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Jan 28, 2024

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan
I really liked the Jotunheim DLC for Valhalla, loving with space and perspective was a cool new thing. Climbing the Enchanted Tower was a perfect example on how to turn AC into more Tomb Raider, shame it was so short.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

AC has historically had a mix of DLC and the difference between the good and the bad is the good is generally taking the opportunity to experiment with some novel gameplay to see if its worth carrying into the next game.

e: I would say that the Jotunheim roguelike dlc is of the good kind except a) Valhalla's combat model is easy and boring and b) if you tack a roguelike on top of a game that is already bloated and bland I'm just not going to play it no matter how good it might be.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Curse of the Pharaohs is easily the best DLC that Ubi's put out for any of their games.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

ilitarist posted:

AC DLCs in general suffer from being mostly pointless in the grand scheme of things, except for Odyssey. They disregard the core fantasy of Animus. In most of them the animus user has no reason to go there. Some (like Freedom Cry or Jack the Ripper) make you play as someone who is not connected to Animus at all, yet they maintain the Animus gimmick. I'm not really into a modern day story but if the devs don't even to provide any justification I can't be expected to care at all.

Valhalla's DLCs aren't great cause they're more of the same, and there's enough of the same in the game already. But at least these are the best versions of Valhalla (and also that Odyssey toe-in island is cool). First Origins DLC was quite disappointing because it copied the most boring biome (rocks) and didn't add anything else except lessening the impact of the original game storyline. Turns out Bayek and Aya are not really not together anymore. But the second DLC was the greatest hits of the original game, it's best form in a small package, and also with some additions. This is the best model for AC DLCs I think, but they don't make much sense when the base game is so bloated.

So yeah, if you somehow want more Valhalla in your life then both Ireland and France DLCs are fine. I like Ireland DLC but for no objective reason, maybe it's story felt less psychotic to me (France DLC goes to interesting places trying to explain why looting Paris is self-defense really).

TBH I kind of like how the Bayek and Aya thing was semi-walked back. Yeah, I know it undercuts one of the big emotional beats of the ending, but I think it rings true that they couldn't really stick to a clean break after everything that happened.

Ouroboros
Apr 23, 2011
With the Animus stuff it kinda feels like that's what they were already doing with Origins at least? I know a lot of people hated the modern day stuff from the beginning but I always liked the premise, they definitely could have pulled it off better though. It seems like they've just almost entirely given up on it by Origins though, it might as well not be there at all (which would probably be the better option given how terrible what is there).

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Ouroboros posted:

With the Animus stuff it kinda feels like that's what they were already doing with Origins at least? I know a lot of people hated the modern day stuff from the beginning but I always liked the premise, they definitely could have pulled it off better though. It seems like they've just almost entirely given up on it by Origins though, it might as well not be there at all (which would probably be the better option given how terrible what is there).

It becomes much more important in Ody/Val. Still not as central as it was in 1 or the Enzio trillogy, but very much there and a core part of the narrative.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

Kirios posted:

I never played the Ragnarok stuff (I hated the Odin parts of the base game) but the problem with the France/Ireland DLC is that it's really just more of the same, but the game itself is already too loving big and you need to finish every single region to see the ending, so you've either already sunk 100 hours in and are sick of it or you're prolonging seeing the ending by another 20-40 hours for some middling side stories. Ireland does at least give you a bobcat mount and some ridiculously overpowered weapons/armor to steamroll the rest of the game with, though, so that's a little fun.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

The thing that bugged me about the Odin stuff is that I kept trying to figure out "what actually happened," since you're basically seeing Eivor's "Norse mythology" interpretation of all the Isu stuff. Like Fenrir is presumably a person, etc. It just feels a bit muddled in a way that's hard to explain.

The Odin areas are visually very pretty, though.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

e: whoops :v:

Carlosologist fucked around with this message at 06:37 on Jan 29, 2024

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Want Kiryu to have his own AC game...

Valentin
Sep 16, 2012

Ytlaya posted:

The thing that bugged me about the Odin stuff is that I kept trying to figure out "what actually happened," since you're basically seeing Eivor's "Norse mythology" interpretation of all the Isu stuff. Like Fenrir is presumably a person, etc. It just feels a bit muddled in a way that's hard to explain.

The Odin areas are visually very pretty, though.

yeah i got to the end and i was like oh okay. so loki hated odin and piggybacked on his resurrection immortality to kill him and ruin his plans (because it seems like this resurrection only operates once unlike the other precursor human resurrecting in the earlier games?), and he did that because of his kid fenrir, who's....the result of a precursor human love affair? which was taboo for unclear but i guess political reasons given what the jotun-aesir divide symbolizes? anyways odin had the kid imprisoned or maybe killed because....i guess implicitly the computer that predicted the solar flare that would destroy their civilization also predicted loki's love affair kid would somehow kill odin? also at some point in all this baldr gets murdered in retaliation (with poison from a berry in a reference to the mistletoe myth?) except odin never reacts to that and never mentions loki in the present day because he still thinks he died permanently? the central idea of the ending works okay but all the scaffolding the whole game builds around it doesn't amount to much in the end.

Valentin fucked around with this message at 09:50 on Jan 29, 2024

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist

christmas boots posted:

TBH I kind of like how the Bayek and Aya thing was semi-walked back. Yeah, I know it undercuts one of the big emotional beats of the ending, but I think it rings true that they couldn't really stick to a clean break after everything that happened.

I know I'm asking too much from a stabbing game, but it didn't look like they semi-walked back, it looked like they never separated, and one of them was on a work trip.

Ouroboros
Apr 23, 2011

Cyrano4747 posted:

It becomes much more important in Ody/Val. Still not as central as it was in 1 or the Enzio trillogy, but very much there and a core part of the narrative.

I just started Odyssey and this is filling me with dread lol. I absolutely do not want to spend any more time than i have to with these reddit-rear end characters

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Ouroboros posted:

I just started Odyssey and this is filling me with dread lol. I absolutely do not want to spend any more time than i have to with these reddit-rear end characters

The vast, vast majority of the time you spend with her is in the end game, and the DLC that explains how you get from Animus'ing around in Greece to Vikings.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Ytlaya posted:

Want Kiryu to have his own AC game...

Even though I know what thread I'm in my mind first went to Kiryu in a huge mech.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Ouroboros posted:

The good thing is that you can usually just hop right back into the animus.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

i've played hundreds of hours of odyssey and i dont even remember who the modern day character is or what they look like or what their surroundings are. i know i'm a filthy main-story avoider and have spent most of those hundreds of hours cruising around the aegean doing completely random poo poo but like.. once you get past the intro sequence, there's a whole ancient greece for you to play around with for as long as you want without seeing any of that animus crap if you don't want to

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

Odyssey also doesn't even let you leave the animus whenever the way Origins did so even if you wanted to pop out to read emails it's not happening

I think the modern day section is like...0.5% of game time in Odyssey? Maybe a whole 1% when you throw in the bad Atlantis DLC

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan
edit misread

jbusbysack
Sep 6, 2002
i heart syd

Alchenar posted:

AC has historically had a mix of DLC and the difference between the good and the bad is the good is generally taking the opportunity to experiment with some novel gameplay to see if its worth carrying into the next game.

e: I would say that the Jotunheim roguelike dlc is of the good kind except a) Valhalla's combat model is easy and boring and b) if you tack a roguelike on top of a game that is already bloated and bland I'm just not going to play it no matter how good it might be.

I fully agree with you. To me it seems like DLCs are both auditions for smaller / branch - studios along with gauging new game models.

The biggest example i can point to is say the experience of France vs Druids (Ireland) vs Jotunheim vs the Roguelike experience in Valhalla.

I would only play 2 of the 4 ever again.

Ouroboros
Apr 23, 2011
I've been playing Odyssey after finishing Origins, at around level 25 so a fair way in. Initial impressions are that it's a cool evolution of the ideas introduced in Origins, though I could see why this would be the straw the broke the camels back if you were unhappy with the new direction for the series, because it absolutely is a doubling down. I'm more familiar with the setting than I was with Egypt and so far the characters and plot seem a little more compelling than they were in Origins (the writing is still absolutely nothing special though), although visually I think Egypt was much more aesthetically pleasing with greater diversity of landscapes and a more interesting colour composition; Odyssey looks great but it doesn't wow me in the way Origins frequently did.

I love the expanded naval combat which I thought really didn't work in Origins as a sort of short enforced detour but does far better here. I like the expansion of the combat system and the choice to add dialogue options is neat, though it's not really fleshed out enough; I get the impression they are caught between wanting to offer player choice and wanting to have a protagonist with a defined character, and they kind of end up in no man's land and fail to succeed at pulling off either. I'm not sure about the expanded gear system, I generally am not a fan of loot RPGs and this goes too far down that road for my taste and ends up feeling like irritating admin much of the time. Also I noticed a weird issue with level scaling where I seemed to be consistently getting weaker as I levelled up, although that has evened out a bit as I got above level 20; the enemies are absolutely way too hp-spongey in general though, and in that 15-20 range it seemed absolutely ridiculous how long it took to kill individual guys of my own level.

I would also say it has some pretty baffling polish issues and backwards steps it has taken from Origins, which is weird as it is clearly heavily built off the back of that game. Parkour especially feels significantly worse than it did in Origins, way glitchier and often it doesn't let me climb certain terrain or objects when it seems like I should be able to, and not consistently at all. I didn't love the massively simplified 'hold A to climb anything' system from Origins, but at least it was consistent that I could climb anything and it felt like the system worked properly, Odyssey's just feels kind of broken.

And finally the modern day sections seem somehow even worse, genuinely some of the worst written characters and dialogue I've ever seen in a game, it's almost impressive. Mercifully they seem to realise this limitation and so far it has been even less prominent than in Origins. I always liked the idea and setup for the modern day stuff in AC, but it's clear at this point they obviously cannot pull it off and should probably not try.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
IIRC there were alternating teams, so the Origins team worked on Valhalla and it was a different one that did Odyssey. Maybe that accounts for some of the weirdness?

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

christmas boots posted:

IIRC there were alternating teams, so the Origins team worked on Valhalla and it was a different one that did Odyssey. Maybe that accounts for some of the weirdness?

I would really like a deep dive documentary or long read on how development at a place like Ubisoft works. Not as ammo to fuel my nerd rage against them but because it is truly fascinating. There are different teams but since they are obviously all under one umbrella it'd be interesting to know how sharing and collaboration and coordination happens among the different teams. And then there's how all the outsourcing fits in. You can see how certain story elements need to be consistent but gameplay mechanics are a toss-up between "let's iterate on this" or "let's abandon this" or even "hey this is making a return" and some of it could be explained by teams leapfrogging sequels but not necessarily.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

christmas boots posted:

There have been alternating teams (with some overlap) for most of AC's existence, which is why a lot of the adjacent games using the game generation of their engine feel like watching an argument play out over what the game is supposed to be.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Alchenar posted:

There have been alternating teams (with some overlap) for most of AC's existence, which is why a lot of the adjacent games using the game generation of their engine feel like watching an argument play out over what the game is supposed to be.

Whichever team it was that stared the argument with "so you've played Sid Meier's Pirates!, right?" is the right team :colbert:

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
Also the constant QoL regressions like the teams aren't even talking to each other or playing each others' games (they probably didn't).

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

orcane posted:

Also the constant QoL regressions like the teams aren't even talking to each other or playing each others' games (they probably didn't).

It's not a question of teams not talking to each other. There is so much turnover, and general dept shuffling at big companies like UBI, that they're basically starting from scratch with a new crew every time they start a new game.

Same reason DICE seems to forget how to make a Battlefield game with every new iteration.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Cyrano4747 posted:

Whichever team it was that stared the argument with "so you've played Sid Meier's Pirates!, right?" is the right team :colbert:

Are you sure?

It was Valhalla's team and the director got metoo'd

Deakul fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Jan 31, 2024

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

I like how this series falls apart the moment you spend more than a minute thinking about any of it’s aspects. Like, why does the Greece you run around in need to be a miniature if the real thing, where you cross a real-life 10-mile wide valley in two hoppity hops.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

Mokotow posted:

I like how this series falls apart the moment you spend more than a minute thinking about any of it’s aspects. Like, why does the Greece you run around in need to be a miniature if the real thing, where you cross a real-life 10-mile wide valley in two hoppity hops.

this is...every open world game that has ever existed

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Still dumb

Ouroboros
Apr 23, 2011

Lobok posted:

I would really like a deep dive documentary or long read on how development at a place like Ubisoft works. Not as ammo to fuel my nerd rage against them but because it is truly fascinating. There are different teams but since they are obviously all under one umbrella it'd be interesting to know how sharing and collaboration and coordination happens among the different teams. And then there's how all the outsourcing fits in. You can see how certain story elements need to be consistent but gameplay mechanics are a toss-up between "let's iterate on this" or "let's abandon this" or even "hey this is making a return" and some of it could be explained by teams leapfrogging sequels but not necessarily.

Yeah it would definitely be interesting to see the inner workings of a AAA content mill like Ubisoft. Probably also kind of depressing lol, but interesting nonetheless. I recently learned that AC:Revelations was co-developed by SIX internal Ubisoft dev teams across the world as they rushed to turn it from a mobile game into a full fledged AC game to fill the gap until AC3 after it got delayed. The fact that they managed to gaffer tape together literally all their dev teams, totally pivot the direction of the game and stitch something together in about 10 months, let alone a game as solid as Revelations, is totally crazy.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

I find it fascinating a separate studio was doing just the Thames and boat traffic in Syndicate.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Mokotow posted:

I find it fascinating a separate studio was doing just the Thames and boat traffic in Syndicate.

there's nothing really like that in any of the other games. syndicate also has carriages, a train, and the grappling hook so overall quite a lot of different movement options than a normal ac game up to that point

i like the game a lot, though i do get a bit bored with the strictly "one city" style of map and wish they had also included some countryside. would've worked great with the carriages and trains etc

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Deakul posted:

Are you sure?

It was Valhalla's team and the director got metoo'd

eeeewwwwwwww.

Goddamnit, should have known better than to say something positive about Ubi.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
I was frequently thinking of my time in Syndicate while playing Watch Dogs Legion. Especially while crossing the Thames (on a big cargo drone...).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Whoever's job it was in AC Syndicate to make London look like a filthy disgusting shithole deserved a medal. Probably the most well-realized concept of a game you can smell.