Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

exquisite tea posted:

Whoever's job it was in AC Syndicate to make London look like a filthy disgusting shithole deserved a medal. Probably the most well-realized concept of a game you can smell.

Opposite for me. Feel like the ol' olfactories wouldn't smell anything (because of the factories). Like just solid chunks of coal that must have accumulated in each nostril every day. Every wall and surface covered in a layer of soot and grime, ripe for those "CLEAN ME" messages people write on dirty cars.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Reflecting a bit on the fact that Aya gave Bayek a hidden blade and didn't tell him it would cut off his finger.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Alchenar posted:

Reflecting a bit on the fact that Aya gave Bayek a hidden blade and didn't tell him it would cut off his finger.

Maybe she assumed he wasn't a loving moron.

Still laugh that there were centuries of people cutting their stupid fingers off and then Leonardo Da Vinci just went ".. uh, what if it doesn't do that?"

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist
Aya herself might have not used the weapon at this point.

It's strange that I'm 15 centuries of assassins being identifiable by the lack of a specific finger Templars didn't spread the word about this characteristic. I guess both organizations had transformations and indirect line of knowledge passage, which is natural for secret societies.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan
also lots of people got to have lost fingers, OSHA didn't exist back then

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

That's a very fair point. It's more about issues with historical portrayals lacking such detail until it's important for the plot.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

ilitarist posted:

That's a very fair point. It's more about issues with historical portrayals lacking such detail until it's important for the plot.

isnt that just kind of how fiction works tho? like, there could be many characters in The Princess Bride with six fingers on their left hand but most likely you aren't going to even look at anyone's hands, let alone count their fingers, until that guy brings it up.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

The term of diversity is a minefield nowadays, but you need diversity for portrayals of environments just for the sake of authenticity. It often doesn't mean historicity or realism of course, but at a basic level if you show a city street with people on it you probably want people to have different dresses, sexes and ages, unless you make a point and it's e.g. a miner town with too many young men or a city after a draft with too few young men.

This could be distracting in tight stories like Agatha Christie thing where you expect every single detail to matter, but it could be part of a general storytelling. I remember seeing a movie about post-WW1 France and a minor character had no hand which was completely unimportant but added to the authenticity of the portrayal: it's a time and place where cripples are everywhere.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
today, after probably well over a hundred hours with the game, i learned there's an auto-movement button in valhalla.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

There's also autocharacter progression button, they're really onto something here.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Rinkles posted:

today, after probably well over a hundred hours with the game, i learned there's an auto-movement button in valhalla.

didn't I post this? they also have an autoclimb toggle, so you can point Eivor in a direction, and enjoy the vistas

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

One day developers will perfect the autoplay button and we will at last be saved from the scourge of video games.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

exquisite tea posted:

One day developers will perfect the autoplay button and we will at last be saved from the scourge of video games.

Just waiting for an AssCreed Vampire Survivors game now.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

Considering Valhalla got a free DLC that was basically Hades it's not as absurd as it sounds. And before that AC Revelations tried to do the tower defense games that were popular few years before. And Odyssey had a PUBG/Fortnite quest, though it was mostly scripted narrative event, not a real thing.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

It's kinda weird to think that such a huge publisher as Ubisoft is in such a complete shambles, but I guess that's what happens when you throw all your chips in the pot of forcing most of your games to follow the same soulless open world microtransaction enabling design and not really care about the actual gameplay part.

Like, Splinter Cell remake probably good if they follow the Dead Space model for success EA demonstrated. Assassin's Creed Infinite I fully expect to be a Skull and Bones level shitshow. Star Wars Outaws may or may not work out. But that's it.

e: and crucially there's nothing about any of those that makes me think 'wow, that'll be a gaming experience I haven't had before'.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Alchenar posted:

Like, Splinter Cell remake probably good if they follow the Dead Space model for success EA demonstrated.

It feels so loving weird to say "well, they're hosed but if they follow the good practices and artistic vision demonstrated by EA they might be able to pull out of the spiral"

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Cyrano4747 posted:

It feels so loving weird to say "well, they're hosed but if they follow the good practices and artistic vision demonstrated by EA they might be able to pull out of the spiral"

It's a sign of the times that this is the bar to aspire to, but EA absolutely know how to recycle the same formula over and over but not so frequently that it gets stale and they know when to drop stuff (ie. C&C) when it's clear that audience fatigue is settling it.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

Alchenar posted:

It's kinda weird to think that such a huge publisher as Ubisoft is in such a complete shambles, but I guess that's what happens when you throw all your chips in the pot of forcing most of your games to follow the same soulless open world microtransaction enabling design and not really care about the actual gameplay part.

It's still made by people, many of them are clearly passionate. I've heard good things about the recent Prince of Persia game. These games aren't new anymore but I consider Watch Dogs 2 and Immortals Felix Razor to be some of the best open games ever made, and AC Odyssey is not that far (though I understand a lot of people hate Odyssey). I'm looking forward to SW Outlaws because it might recapture the magic of these open world games I've enjoyed. People say there are too many of them, and especially too many are made by Ubisoft, but they're all so boring and artificial to me that I'm overjoyed when a game like Watch Dogs 2 makes me feel both like I'm in a real place as well as I'm in an exciting playground with challenges and cheap dopamine hits everywhere. I have a low bar for open world game so merely adequate open world game is a joy to me.

It's exactly the same thing with Master of Orion 2 clones - people make them all the time because no one made a great one yet!

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

ilitarist posted:

It's still made by people, many of them are clearly passionate. I've heard good things about the recent Prince of Persia game. These games aren't new anymore but I consider Watch Dogs 2 and Immortals Felix Razor to be some of the best open games ever made, and AC Odyssey is not that far (though I understand a lot of people hate Odyssey). I'm looking forward to SW Outlaws because it might recapture the magic of these open world games I've enjoyed. People say there are too many of them, and especially too many are made by Ubisoft, but they're all so boring and artificial to me that I'm overjoyed when a game like Watch Dogs 2 makes me feel both like I'm in a real place as well as I'm in an exciting playground with challenges and cheap dopamine hits everywhere. I have a low bar for open world game so merely adequate open world game is a joy to me.

It's exactly the same thing with Master of Orion 2 clones - people make them all the time because no one made a great one yet!

Oh yeah I don't doubt the passion of the people at the coalface, but the leadership direction has gone so far off the deep end that it's hard to know if they can come back. I also really enjoyed Watch Dogs 2, but that is a game where the joy and the passion behind the vision was absolutely fighting to get past the open world straightjacket they were in.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Alchenar posted:

Oh yeah I don't doubt the passion of the people at the coalface, but the leadership direction has gone so far off the deep end that it's hard to know if they can come back. I also really enjoyed Watch Dogs 2, but that is a game where the joy and the passion behind the vision was absolutely fighting to get past the open world straightjacket they were in.

Passion and hard work mean nothing to the consumer if the product is poo poo. I could be the most passionate cobbler on the planet, someone who truly cares about footwear, but if I make boots with cardboard soles people are going to be rightfully upset with what I'm selling. At the end of the day it doesnt matter if I'm just incompetent or if Cyrano' Shoeshop got bought out by venture capital vultures who mandated I use cardboard to cut costs.

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~

Alchenar posted:

Like, Splinter Cell remake probably good if they follow the Dead Space model for success EA demonstrated. Assassin's Creed Infinite I fully expect to be a Skull and Bones level shitshow. Star Wars Outaws may or may not work out. But that's it.

e: and crucially there's nothing about any of those that makes me think 'wow, that'll be a gaming experience I haven't had before'.

Man I'd kill for a Dead Space tier remake of Chaos Theory

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Cyrano4747 posted:

This is possibly the meanest thing anyone has ever said about a publisher.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

I genuinely think its the right move though. Ubisoft need to find a way to unlearn the paint-by-numbers game design they're reflexively forcing everything to try and fit and one of the best ways they could do that is to go back and refresh some of their old games that might have been marginally successful but pre-exist this trend and have enough space between the last release that they can re-release them with some tweaks and still have them considered fresh.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Alchenar posted:

I genuinely think its the right move though. Ubisoft need to find a way to unlearn

never gonna happen, Valhalla made too much money

if anything all the Mirage lessons will be: go back to Valhalla

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

valhalla was a mess when it was released, but had the good fortune to be released at the same time as the significantly messier cyberpunk 2077, so it dodged a lot of the bad press that they had to deal with when they released other buggy games like unity and made more money than it should have. also it was pandemic times and people were stuck inside

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

Goa Tse-tung posted:

I understand Mirage sold well. It's a smaller budget game so only Ubisoft knows how much did it pay, but they must have had some idea of trying to not make the biggest best selling game ever. It restored some good faith in the company, which is probably worth something and will improve the sales of next inevitable behemoth game.

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal

Goa Tse-tung posted:

Don't sales largely reflect the success of the previous game? I at any rate bought Valhalla straight away, at full price, because I'd loved Odyssey.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

If that was the case AC4 and Origins would be the worst selling games in the series. I myself bought Valhalla really hoping it will continue the trend of Origins and Odyssey. I saw Odyssey as huge gameplay improvement over Origins but worldbuilding took a step back, and Valhalla was supposed to be from Origins people. I wasn't into Viking thing but Origins and Odyssey vector was so strong I'd buy anything after Odyssey, yeah.

So I guess this was the case for many people like you and me, but there must be a lot of people who wanted a Viking game that is a little bit more historical than God of War. Valhalla also advertised a lot of things for people who didn't like Origins/Odyssey direction: you can't climb everything, there are parkour challenges, there's no loot grind, character progression is there but don't worry, it will doesn't matter cause you can still kill anyone in one hit etc.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
Funny, because I had way more actual fun in Mirage than I did in Valhalla.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

They have a model that works very well for mass consumption video games. For better or worse "ubisoft game" is a sub genre of its own, and I'm not going to pretend I'm too proud to eat that slop myself. This is kind of like a bunch of goons with spoons nerds writing about their opinions of the mouth feel of a McRib.

If they want to right the ship another paint by numbers Ubi title is probably the way to do it. Far Cry 7 or something along those lines.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Cyrano4747 posted:

They have a model that works very well for mass consumption video games. For better or worse "ubisoft game" is a sub genre of its own, and I'm not going to pretend I'm too proud to eat that slop myself. This is kind of like a bunch of goons with spoons nerds writing about their opinions of the mouth feel of a McRib.

i mean they are turning some people off though. i'm not ashamed to eat ubi slop and i've bought and played every game in the mainline AC series.. until now. everything in the trailers and press for Mirage made it clear that it was not a game i would enjoy, so i skipped it. i doubt i'm the only one.

same with Far Cry. I enjoyed them up to FC4, I thought FC5 made a lot of mistakes but i bought FC6 when it was on sale to see if they'd fixed them and if the setting made things interesting, but it was even worse. unless there's some radical change i doubt I'll be buying FC7.

like speaking as one of their regular and longtime customers, they are loving up. even if you sell slop to slop eaters they are going to notice if the formula is too thin.

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~
How do I get through the mercenary ranks in Odyssey when I'm playing as stealthily as possible? I'm level 23 now and I haven't had a bounty on me since the tutorial island.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

You will still meet mercenaries just walking around. Message boards will have contracts on mercenaries, and when you kill those metrics you'll find info on the others. If you under the expected rank then there's a high chance the the game will lead you to a mercenary that will advance you.

You can also meet some mercenaries in open battles.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Alternatively just go shank some dude in the kidneys in a market square and get a fat bounty the easy way, then murder some mercs, then when you get bored of that go kill the dude who's responsible for collecting the bounty.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
One of my favourite moments in Odyssey was trying to murderize some cultist, which somehow aggroed civilians, some of them died, a nearby patrolling merc joined, and from there it spiraled out of control with dozens of civilians taking their pitchforks and attempting suicide by Cassandra, dead mercenaries and civilians spawning more mercenaries, etc. Cultists man :argh:

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

When people say it's not true Assassins Creed game what they mean is you can have fun in this game.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Alchenar posted:

Ubisoft has like 4 good francises that make money. the issue is they keep chasing trends and hoping they can be take battleroyal money or find a nich game they can turn into a money generator. meanwhile they release either hosed to death games that have been in dev hell, or genuinly pretty good AAA games.

ilitarist posted:

When people say it's not true Assassins Creed game what they mean is you can have fun in this game.

yeah this. I love AC early years but thos games suck poo poo to play on back outside maybe brotherhood.

orcane posted:

One of my favourite moments in Odyssey was trying to murderize some cultist, which somehow aggroed civilians, some of them died, a nearby patrolling merc joined, and from there it spiraled out of control with dozens of civilians taking their pitchforks and attempting suicide by Cassandra, dead mercenaries and civilians spawning more mercenaries, etc. Cultists man :argh:

i love that greece is just as open carry as texas and men and women will loving bumrush the god merc with like an oar or a dropped sword.

Earwicker posted:

i mean they are turning some people off though. i'm not ashamed to eat ubi slop and i've bought and played every game in the mainline AC series.. until now. everything in the trailers and press for Mirage made it clear that it was not a game i would enjoy, so i skipped it. i doubt i'm the only one.

same with Far Cry. I enjoyed them up to FC4, I thought FC5 made a lot of mistakes but i bought FC6 when it was on sale to see if they'd fixed them and if the setting made things interesting, but it was even worse. unless there's some radical change i doubt I'll be buying FC7.

like speaking as one of their regular and longtime customers, they are loving up. even if you sell slop to slop eaters they are going to notice if the formula is too thin.

i like 6 but yeah its too rpgish there are too many bells and wistles and poo poo attached that arnt needed. i dont mind RPG stuff, its just the second it become weird ammo poo poo or weird zone poo poo, it sucks. it worked in odyssy and origins because it let you gently caress around and kept you on a loose leash. that was lol.

ill still probably buy the star wars game.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

imo the best iteration of the ubisoft open world game in a modern setting with modern weapons etc is Ghost Recon: Wildlands. the story is kind of mid but in terms of a living world for loving around and doing cool action thriller stealthy operations in, its much better than any Far Cry game.

unfortunately the sequel to that one (Breakpoint) took the series into a bit of a nosedive and they haven't followed up since. but Wildlands still holds up, i play it all the time

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Top difficulty 4 player coop Wildlands was some genuinely good poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

Earwicker posted:

imo the best iteration of the ubisoft open world game in a modern setting with modern weapons etc is Ghost Recon: Wildlands. the story is kind of mid but in terms of a living world for loving around and doing cool action thriller stealthy operations in, its much better than any Far Cry game.

I never played that game and in general I'm not really interested in Tom Clancy war stuff. Far Cry games at least have interesting wacky setting, even though I wouldn't call any of these games great. For me the best open world game is still Watch Dogs 2 with its focus on diverse city and puzzles everywhere, and all the gunplay is a second fiddle to stealth and puzzles, which is refreshing for AAA open world game.