Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FutureFriend
Dec 28, 2011

khy posted:

Also, I hear really great things about the murder mysteries. I've done the two that are on the little central island and they're fun enough. The thing is, despite going up in synchronizing it all the drat Towers I can't find any more of the Mysteries. Do you have to unlock them through the story or something?

it's been a while since i've played but from what i remember, yeah, a lot of the missions in areas are locked until uve done enough of the story to have done main mission poo poo in the district.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kuiperdolin
Sep 5, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

No, can't remember, there were never that many bugs unless you played with outdated gpu drivers, the co-op missions are playable solo once you git gud (with one exception, the general Dumas one).

khy
Aug 15, 2005

Kuiperdolin posted:

No, can't remember, there were never that many bugs unless you played with outdated gpu drivers, the co-op missions are playable solo once you git gud (with one exception, the general Dumas one).

I've done two co-op missions and one heist solo.

They're not undoable but some bits are particularly frustrating, especially if you're trying to get all the sync points to unlock skills. One bit that stands out was trying to find and kill all 3 templar snipers at the hanging; I ended up having to redo that section three times because it was timed and I was trying to get the sync point in the nearby hotel.

I thought being restricted to hidden blade only for assassination missions would be annoying but I find it makes me think harder and put more effort into planning my kills than previous games have. I've become quite methodical about clearing out enemies, getting into position, patiently waiting for my target to get in range... it takes me three to four times as long as in previous games but it's very worthwhile to get the feeling of satisfaction for accomplishing a perfect kill and then slipping away undetected.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

khy posted:

I've done two co-op missions and one heist solo.

They're not undoable but some bits are particularly frustrating, especially if you're trying to get all the sync points to unlock skills. One bit that stands out was trying to find and kill all 3 templar snipers at the hanging; I ended up having to redo that section three times because it was timed and I was trying to get the sync point in the nearby hotel.

I thought being restricted to hidden blade only for assassination missions would be annoying but I find it makes me think harder and put more effort into planning my kills than previous games have. I've become quite methodical about clearing out enemies, getting into position, patiently waiting for my target to get in range... it takes me three to four times as long as in previous games but it's very worthwhile to get the feeling of satisfaction for accomplishing a perfect kill and then slipping away undetected.

You arnt actually restricted, it's just other attacks won't kill the out right. They will fall over and thrash around and moan and gurgle like most enemies in the game.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Today Ubisoft announced a really loving cool sounding Discovery Tour Mode. It's gonna be a free update, at some point in 2018, that allows players to explore and learn about Egypt at their own pace without engaging with the games combat and main content.

http://blog.ubi.com/assassins-creed-origins-discovery-tour-shows-different-side-ancient-egypt/

They have also announced the Hieroglyphs Initiative, a real research project aiming to translate ancient hieroglyphs.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TfdWNY7priQ
https://hieroglyphicsinitiative.ubisoft.com/en-GB/home

They're turning into an irl Abstergo.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Deakul posted:

Today Ubisoft announced a really loving cool sounding Discovery Tour Mode. It's gonna be a free update, at some point in 2018, that allows players to explore and learn about Egypt at their own pace without engaging with the games combat and main content.

http://blog.ubi.com/assassins-creed-origins-discovery-tour-shows-different-side-ancient-egypt/

They have also announced the Hieroglyphs Initiative, a real research project aiming to translate ancient hieroglyphs.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TfdWNY7priQ
https://hieroglyphicsinitiative.ubisoft.com/en-GB/home

They're turning into an irl Abstergo.

ok thats pretty loving cool. that definitely adds another reason to pick it up.

Manxome Foe
Apr 6, 2005

Beware the Jabberwock, my son! The jaws that bite, the claws that catch!

khy posted:

So I went ahead and picked it up just to complete the story and I've been playing, but a few things are kind of not making a whole lot of sense. Specifically, Arno seems to have the ability to see his targets memories. But they never really address why he's able to do so. I mean he actually flat out says when I was looking at so-and-so's memories they didn't make sense. So it's not just the player being treated to extra information, it's actually portrayed in the game. Do they ever actually address this later on in the story or anything?

Unity feels like it was made by a completely different team than all of the other AC games. Things like him seeing targets memories, the lack of the white room, the janky combat, the stealth detection (oof, please don't get me started on the stealth detection).

I'd chalk them up to it being a weird-rear end AC altogether.

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

Dapper_Swindler posted:

ok thats pretty loving cool. that definitely adds another reason to pick it up.

depending on what the buzz is after it comes out, this might be the thing that would get me to buy the game. i would love to see more stuff like this

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3c9eA-ognlQ

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

No one man should have all that Psycho-Power.

Did they ever mention if there was a second playable character like in Syndicate? I remember the early leaks mentioning this was a 2 character game.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Evil Canadian posted:

Did they ever mention if there was a second playable character like in Syndicate? I remember the early leaks mentioning this was a 2 character game.

apparently multiple , one is bayek and one is his wife. others arnt known. heard rumors about one being arno.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Dapper_Swindler posted:

apparently multiple , one is bayek and one is his wife. others arnt known. heard rumors about one being arno.

If I were a betting man, I'd say we get to play as Amunet at some point.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Man everything about this game is extremely my poo poo. Moving away from quicktime prompts in combat, ancient Egypt, the actual origins of the assassins finally(god I hope) being explained, shooting hippos in the face with a bow...

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Deakul posted:

If I were a betting man, I'd say we get to play as Amunet at some point.

probably, my guess is she will be one of the big dlc people.

sexpig by night posted:

Man everything about this game is extremely my poo poo. Moving away from quicktime prompts in combat, ancient Egypt, the actual origins of the assassins finally(god I hope) being explained, shooting hippos in the face with a bow...

this. its the witcher 3 but as a sheriff/detective/guardian in ptolomiac egypt with with psudo souls/for honor/combat. i like the assassins creed games alot, but this is the first one since 4 thats really really got me pumped.

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

No one man should have all that Psycho-Power.

I hope the combat isn't like witcher 3. I like that game but combat is absolutely its weakest point.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
yea AC has always been a favorite of mine even at its lamer points but I am extremely into Origins. I mean, they kinda already had me at 'ancient egyptian wandering sheriff story' being a cool enough idea as is, but adding in 'oh and basically everything you found kinda lame about the old games is gone, also you get a cool hawk buddy' was great too.

Also I hope they have the same guys who did Syndicate's DLC handling this game's, that was some good poo poo, if we get some stuff like that in this it'd totally make the season pass worth it.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Evil Canadian posted:

I hope the combat isn't like witcher 3. I like that game but combat is absolutely its weakest point.

its not at all. i mean more in the world/quest design, its more souls light(light and heavy attacks with trigger and bumper buttons but no stamina stuff)

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
One thing I am curious about. The team who did Black Flag did this, there are boats, Egypt does have a naval history...is boat fighting in the game in some form? I know we can jack fishing boats and all but is there any level of ship to ship combat beyond 'pilot your boat to their bigger boat, jump off, cut throats'?

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

sexpig by night posted:

One thing I am curious about. The team who did Black Flag did this, there are boats, Egypt does have a naval history...is boat fighting in the game in some form? I know we can jack fishing boats and all but is there any level of ship to ship combat beyond 'pilot your boat to their bigger boat, jump off, cut throats'?

apparently there is, but they have been quiet about it and its more like in 3 (in content amount terms) then 4.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
yea not a TON of ways to do 'big epic naval battles' in this context, but nice to here there'll be a little something deeper than river boating up to a guy's pleasure barge to shank him.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

sexpig by night posted:

yea not a TON of ways to do 'big epic naval battles' in this context, but nice to here there'll be a little something deeper than river boating up to a guy's pleasure barge to shank him.

there will be navy battles but they wont be central to the game apparently.

Cultural Marxist
Jun 29, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
[quote="“Evil Canadian”" post="“476893449”"]
I hope the combat isn’t like witcher 3. I like that game but combat is absolutely its weakest point.
[/quote]

I'd gone a bit off the boil with this (which is unusual for me and AC games) but I've just finished re-watching Rome so I'm extremely ready to arrow ancient dudes in the face.

Also, my yearly(ish) hope that something like the Subject 16 stuff from Brohood/Revelations makes a comeback.

Yes, I'm the guy that likes the modern day conspiracy stuff and am History's Greatest Monster™.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Cultural Marxist posted:

I'd gone a bit off the boil with this (which is unusual for me and AC games) but I've just finished re-watching Rome so I'm extremely ready to arrow ancient dudes in the face.

Also, my yearly(ish) hope that something like the Subject 16 stuff from Brohood/Revelations makes a comeback.

Yes, I'm the guy that likes the modern day conspiracy stuff and am History's Greatest Monster™.

any good books on the time period? i have only found the stacey shiff one about Cleopatra which is pretty good.

Manxome Foe
Apr 6, 2005

Beware the Jabberwock, my son! The jaws that bite, the claws that catch!

Dapper_Swindler posted:

any good books on the time period? i have only found the stacey shiff one about Cleopatra which is pretty good.

To add to this, are there any good movies? Don't say Gods of Egypt because that movie sucked something fierce.

Orv
May 4, 2011
The Mummy trilogy. :v:

Egypt tends to be something that sees use as a background informant of a movies themes and locales rather than a focus on Egyptian life and politics itself. Which I'm cool with normally, it's better than nothing and dynastic Egyptian architecture and fashion is incredibly cool, but there's no real deep dive anything like there's thousands of medieval European movies. Rome season 2 does probably some of the best noodling around in that stuff but it's still not a focus.

Books I don't know, I'm a lovely idiot who doesn't read much non-fiction.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

To the west, Ancient Egypt is a highly compressed timeline made up of vaguely middle eastern looking people with smoky eye for a civilization that stood unbroken for thousands of years. The Great Pyramids were built in 2,360 BCE, which was a full 500 years before the Middle Kingdom period, which was another 1,700 freaking years before the birth of Cleopatra. You could fit the entire rise and fall of every other human civilization in between the interstitial periods in Egyptian history, that's how incomprehensibly vast it was. So most games about Egypt just tend to hit the usual benchmarks. You know, pyramids, mummies, pharoahs, sun-gods, heiroglyphics (which is still one of the longest-lived writing systems on Earth btw) and lots of sexy eyeshadow.

Orv
May 4, 2011
But what if all that and the Romans everyone has been whining for for years? AC bingo wins again.

Orv fucked around with this message at 15:21 on Oct 2, 2017

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

exquisite tea posted:

To the west, Ancient Egypt is a highly compressed timeline made up of vaguely middle eastern looking people with smoky eye for a civilization that stood unbroken for thousands of years. The Great Pyramids were built in 2,360 BCE, which was a full 500 years before the Middle Kingdom period, which was another 1,700 freaking years before the birth of Cleopatra. You could fit the entire rise and fall of every other human civilization in between the interstitial periods in Egyptian history, that's how incomprehensibly vast it was. So most games about Egypt just tend to hit the usual benchmarks. You know, pyramids, mummies, pharoahs, sun-gods, heiroglyphics (which is still one of the longest-lived writing systems on Earth btw) and lots of sexy eyeshadow.
Ah, that reminds me of Pharaoh and its expansion pack Cleopatra: Queen of the Nile, the old city-building sims published by Sierra. Those games tried to show off all the aspects of city life while also covering the different time periods in the campaign, but of course they also took many liberties and simplified things for gameplay's sake. Still really awesome games, though, and Pharaoh's manual was pretty great as well because it was basically a 300-page book about ancient Egypt.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Yea people have tried to be good on it but it's straight impossible to talk 'Egyptian history' in a detailed way without defining the period and it feels like most things don't even want to acknowledge there WERE periods beyond 'pyramid funtimes' and 'rome'.

Since this is about Ptolemaic dynasty dick waving coming to an end with Cleo's rise, that means we're at 51-50 BC depending how long after Papa Ptolemy's death and how deep in the power struggle we're starting at. Either way this is the end of what we consider 'Egyptian history', the next bit of it is 'Egypt is run by Romans now, poo poo'.

This is kinda a huge part of history. This is the death of the last bits of old egypt. Rome takes it over fully in 30 BC. 'Amr ibn al-'As conquers Egypt to make it Muslim in 642 AD. Between those events it's a major player, and has a rich and interesting history, but it's never 'ancient Egypt' as we view it again.

I can't think of any good things on that time period, sadly. It's a period that doesn't get much love because we tend to look at Egypt as 'it was all mummies and cats until Rome took it over then it was just Brown Rome'. Like already said the pyramids were built almost two thousand years before Cleopatra, one of our main contacts in the game, was even born. We typically use Middle Kingdom as our baseline for Egypt. It was one of the golden ages of the culture and it's where a ton of its iconic creations happened.

That ended in 1782 BC, going by my year guess 1732 years happened between the 'iconic' ancient egypt and the game. I really hope this is a time when Ubisoft backs up their big 'we're a big happy rainbow who loves everyone and takes history VERY seriously' thing and gives us a look at a period of egypt that gets ignored aside from Cleopatra herself. I'm super eager for that educational mode to drop and I'm optimistic about things considering the big theme seems to be 'you're the last of your order, your empire is dying, you're fighting to preserve its honor and glory but probably will wind up being ground to dust with everything else'. That's a good rear end theme for this period of Egypt, that could produce some genuinely very good stories.

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

But if you're looking for movies, Elizabeth Taylor's Cleopatra is interesting for the spectacle if nothing else. If you have more time, HBO's Rome series eventually makes it to Egypt too.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

There was a pretty decent miniseries that aired on Spike that's all about King Tut.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
I've been replaying Unity since it's the only only AC I've never finished. This is fun as poo poo. Shame it had such a hosed up launch I guess. Is the DLC worth getting?

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

sexpig by night posted:

Yea people have tried to be good on it but it's straight impossible to talk 'Egyptian history' in a detailed way without defining the period and it feels like most things don't even want to acknowledge there WERE periods beyond 'pyramid funtimes' and 'rome'.

Since this is about Ptolemaic dynasty dick waving coming to an end with Cleo's rise, that means we're at 51-50 BC depending how long after Papa Ptolemy's death and how deep in the power struggle we're starting at. Either way this is the end of what we consider 'Egyptian history', the next bit of it is 'Egypt is run by Romans now, poo poo'.

This is kinda a huge part of history. This is the death of the last bits of old egypt. Rome takes it over fully in 30 BC. 'Amr ibn al-'As conquers Egypt to make it Muslim in 642 AD. Between those events it's a major player, and has a rich and interesting history, but it's never 'ancient Egypt' as we view it again.

I can't think of any good things on that time period, sadly. It's a period that doesn't get much love because we tend to look at Egypt as 'it was all mummies and cats until Rome took it over then it was just Brown Rome'. Like already said the pyramids were built almost two thousand years before Cleopatra, one of our main contacts in the game, was even born. We typically use Middle Kingdom as our baseline for Egypt. It was one of the golden ages of the culture and it's where a ton of its iconic creations happened.

That ended in 1782 BC, going by my year guess 1732 years happened between the 'iconic' ancient egypt and the game. I really hope this is a time when Ubisoft backs up their big 'we're a big happy rainbow who loves everyone and takes history VERY seriously' thing and gives us a look at a period of egypt that gets ignored aside from Cleopatra herself. I'm super eager for that educational mode to drop and I'm optimistic about things considering the big theme seems to be 'you're the last of your order, your empire is dying, you're fighting to preserve its honor and glory but probably will wind up being ground to dust with everything else'. That's a good rear end theme for this period of Egypt, that could produce some genuinely very good stories.

it was already kinda hosed by the time she got into power. the Ptolemies were basically the targaryens from game of thrones. they were incestuous as gently caress(as alot of royalty was back then) so you would have siblings and parents and offspring murdering each other constantly. daddy ptomley was kinda of a gently caress up and spent alot of time legit lobbying in rome and roman senators would use him as purse. its interesting stuff. as for the other point. most of it is in 48/49 bc but it shows the real egypt not the whitewashed hollywood poo poo. its mix of hellenistic and egytian mixed with other cultures because alexandria was a massive cultural and trading hub. you dont have to worry about them loving up with culture poo poo.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

sexpig by night posted:

I've been replaying Unity since it's the only only AC I've never finished. This is fun as poo poo. Shame it had such a hosed up launch I guess. Is the DLC worth getting?

i am so mixed on unity. i like alot of the ideas, i love the time period and i like alot of the ways the inject the conspiracy stuff into it. the fighting system is fun at times but it sucks that you can just gently caress dudes up like you could with ezio. i guess my biggest issue is it feels more time jumpy and you dont really do much in the revolution or even witness most of it. its purely backdrop, which works in someways but sucks in other.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Dapper_Swindler posted:

it was already kinda hosed by the time she got into power. the Ptolemies were basically the targaryens from game of thrones. they were incestuous as gently caress(as alot of royalty was back then) so you would have siblings and parents and offspring murdering each other constantly. daddy ptomley was kinda of a gently caress up and spent alot of time legit lobbying in rome and roman senators would use him as purse. its interesting stuff. as for the other point. most of it is in 48/49 bc but it shows the real egypt not the whitewashed hollywood poo poo. its mix of hellenistic and egytian mixed with other cultures because alexandria was a massive cultural and trading hub. you dont have to worry about them loving up with culture poo poo.

Oh god yea there's countless routes to go down if you wanna talk about when 'true' Egypt died. There'd scholars that'll say everything from the end of the middle kingdom to the Muslim conquest were the 'real' end of Egypt. Just mainly focusing on when it went from 'cool hair and cats and polytheism' to 'basically Rome's African friend'. Still, great to hear it's will 'hub of the world' Egypt. I'm so excited for this AC to use its platform to actually educate people, please don't gently caress it up Ubi, this is such a cool period in the global stage it'd be such a bummer if you squandered it on "CHECK THIS COOL MUMMY OUT DUDES"

sexpig by night fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Oct 2, 2017

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

Dapper_Swindler posted:

i am so mixed on unity. i like alot of the ideas, i love the time period and i like alot of the ways the inject the conspiracy stuff into it. the fighting system is fun at times but it sucks that you can just gently caress dudes up like you could with ezio. i guess my biggest issue is it feels more time jumpy and you dont really do much in the revolution or even witness most of it. its purely backdrop, which works in someways but sucks in other.
:agreed:

It's weird, because it starts off with you watching the Estates General and escaping the Bastille, and you get the sense than you'll be ACIII-style Forrest Gumping your way through the Revolution, then by the end you're skipping everything after Louis' execution, including the entire Reign of Terror, and Thermidor is like one mission. I enjoyed the game overall, but the last parts with Robespierre are a real waste of the man and the setting.

All the AC games actually seem to have trouble with the ending; it always feels a bit disconnected from the rest.

sexpig by night posted:

Is the DLC worth getting?
I haven't played it, but it's free, so go nuts. (And it gets a good reception from what I've heard.)

Lord Hydronium fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Oct 2, 2017

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Yea I'm only on sequence 3 so I'm not sure how much it glosses over but so far it's fun. If it totally ignores the Reign of Terror I'm gonna be super annoyed, though. I'm a big French history nerd and that'd be, like, the Assassin/Templars' playground...

Still as a game it's solid, and the whole 'huge crows replace the hay bales' thing really does fit the time nicely. Solid game and good to get my thirst quenched until Shadow of War can properly satiate my AC hunger before Origins.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

sexpig by night posted:

Oh god yea there's countless routes to go down if you wanna talk about when 'true' Egypt died. There'd scholars that'll say everything from the end of the middle kingdom to the Muslim conquest were the 'real' end of Egypt. Just mainly focusing on when it went from 'cool hair and cats and polytheism' to 'basically Rome's African friend'. Still, great to hear it's will 'hub of the world' Egypt. I'm so excited for this AC to use its platform to actually educate people, please don't gently caress it up Ubi, this is such a cool period in the global stage it'd be such a bummer if you squandered it on "CHECK THIS COOL MUMMY OUT DUDES"

they won't, i have faith in them with that at least and its not even going to cover her fall as far as i know(though it think the expansion pack will) its gonna be like 2 or 3 year long window.

Lord Hydronium posted:

:agreed:

It's weird, because it starts off with you watching the Estates General and escaping the Bastille, and you get the sense than you'll be ACIII-style Forrest Gumping your way through the Revolution, then by the end you're skipping everything after Louis' execution, including the entire Reign of Terror, and Thermidor is like one mission. I enjoyed the game overall, but the last parts with Robespierre are a real waste of the man and the setting.

All the AC games actually seem to have trouble with the ending; it always feels a bit disconnected from the rest.

I haven't played it, but it's free, so go nuts. (And it gets a good reception from what I've heard.)

well part of my issue is the world never really dynamicaly changes depending on when you are. in the ac games it had in the past. but its mostly san coullates and national guardsmen all the way through.

kxZyle
Nov 7, 2012

Pillbug
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=esqtNWgG9UM

oh my god :allears:

There's also a bunch of previews up. Here's one from PCGamer. And one in video form from GamesRadar:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ww80sIPMcWM

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Yeah, yeah that's all well and good but the biggest news we've got so far is that the motherfuckers put ANIMAL PETTING BACK INTO THE GAME!