Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

The size of the world map is triggering me. Nice graphics though. Would prefer it if the MC of this game was the eagle instead of another boring generic dude.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

It honestly looks like too much game for me to enjoy. I didn't like that about TW3 and that map from Origins is already giving me shingles, especially because you know ubi isn't going to be very strategic about managing quest bloat.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

One of the streamers at Gamescom said something like "and as soon as I got to this new town, 10 quest markers sprung up in a very small area" like this was actually a positive thing so I don't trust them to rein in the icon overload.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Hopefully the eagle will be able to advance parts of the quest for you by unlocking doors and chatting with unimportant NPCs.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Many recent games have gone to a dynamic HUD where they'll only flash relevant quest information, health bars etc. when you're in combat or near a point of interest with almost everything else being customizable.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

To the west, Ancient Egypt is a highly compressed timeline made up of vaguely middle eastern looking people with smoky eye for a civilization that stood unbroken for thousands of years. The Great Pyramids were built in 2,360 BCE, which was a full 500 years before the Middle Kingdom period, which was another 1,700 freaking years before the birth of Cleopatra. You could fit the entire rise and fall of every other human civilization in between the interstitial periods in Egyptian history, that's how incomprehensibly vast it was. So most games about Egypt just tend to hit the usual benchmarks. You know, pyramids, mummies, pharoahs, sun-gods, heiroglyphics (which is still one of the longest-lived writing systems on Earth btw) and lots of sexy eyeshadow.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

I had a dream that I was playing Assassin's Creed Origins but my guy kept getting chased by palace guards that refused to leash even when I rode my horse miles away. I then started to consider at which point horses in Ancient Egypt would no longer be an anachronism and woke up. Well that's my story folks.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Dreams aren't logical, you dopes. You imbeciles.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

If I have the capability to play this game on both a PS4 and high-end PC which one should I do

Ubisoft PC releases are generally pretty solid so I'd probably go with that if you're looking for the full graphical wowser experience.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Jim Sterling was uncommonly warm on Origins in his preview, much moreso than Shadow of War. I think the game certainly looks neat but I think I'll hold off until they patch in Microsoft Encarta mode. Despite the combat revamp and more story-oriented questing systems it still looks like 100+ hours of open world bloat. I just want to actually beat an AC game for once!

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

A game running like crap on some systems and no probs on one with a similar setup is like, the definition of subpar optimization. If performance was affected by a predictable set of controllable factors then it wouldn't be a problem.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Vitamin P posted:

I'm not sure why anyone would ever parry when dodging is so much more reliable. I'm deliberately trying to use parry more to nail the timing but against more than 2 enemies it feels like a liability to even try it.

That said the game is pretty fun. I like the bows being straight up rifle/sniper/SMG/shotgun, it's a bit silly but whatevers. And someone at Ubi should now seriously be thinking about some kind of fantasy world franchise using the combat system; take on a few B-grade genre writers, change Fire Bombs to Fire Ball and go a bit more crazy with the architecture and they've got a Skyrim killer on their hands.

I remember reading somewhere that Ubisoft's corporate culture is pretty strongly against high fantasy, which is why you don't see too many stylized settings across their various IPs. Even their samurai vs. knights. vs. vikings game went for a "realistic" feel to the combat, and stuff like Watch Dogs and The Division attempt to create plausible explanations for all their fantastical elements.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Eh gently caress it, I'm turning in my indie gaming cred badge and downloading this game.

How long until I get to play the dagger lady.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Okay I'm going to play the game now.

How long until I get to be a dagger lady.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

I refunded the game after a couple hours. It ran really poorly on my system and I spent at least 15 minutes getting gangbanged by hyenas on an early quest because I had no arrows. Maybe some other time, I got too much poo poo to do.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

I'm disappointed because the Ubisoft games I've played on PC so far have generally been pretty solid. Black Flag, For Honor and The Division ran fine on my system, no complaints there. In the two hours I played I got tons of hitching, audio distortion + cutting out, 20+ frame slowdowns for seemingly no rhyme or reason. It didn't even seem to matter which graphics settings I adjusted, knocking down the resolution to 1080p did nothing to make it run any better. Not A Very Good Port! I'd stay away from the PC version for now until they fix all these performance issues.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

I'm on an i5 4570 and 980ti with a 1440p G-Sync monitor, so V-Sync turned off no framecap. Settings were much the same as yours, followed the recommended presets except knocking down Shadows and AA to medium. Drivers updated blah blah blah. I'd get a perfectly acceptable 50-60fps indoors and 45ish out in the open, but as soon as I started moving I'd get really bad hitching and slowdown down into the low 30s. That wasn't the only problem though, I'd get bad audio distortion or cutouts during dialogue along with some not-so great pop-in. But that's more or less the textbook definition of poor optimization --- if performance could be predicted by adjusting only a handful of settings then it'd be an easy problem to fix. Maybe if I was enjoying myself more I'd stick through it but nah, I like it when I pay $60 and the game works, instead of not working.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

TescoBag posted:

This is potentially down to the DRM on this game. Apparently it makes calls constantly when moving causing even quite beefy CPU's to bottleneck.

Oh hm you weren't kidding, literally every top voted review on the Steam store page mentions this and warns people against buying the game lol.

Should have checked there first before honoring the word of the goon.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

double nine posted:

so how bad is the cpu problem some people have reported?

I got hit with it and pretty much every top Steam review right now is warning people away from buying the PC version. Refunded until they can fix it. Avoid.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Did the patch that went in yesterday unfuck the PC performance? I would actually like to play this game when it's not taxing my CPU at 60% on the startup screen.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Harrow posted:

I feel like the argument happening now is because some people are answering the question, "What would be a cool setting for an Assassin's Creed game, or something very much like it?", while others are answering the question, "What's a cool setting Ubisoft might actually use in the near future for an Assassin's Creed game?"

Because "who cares about the metaplot" is true if we're just talking about a setting that would be fun to play in, but if we're talking about settings we might actually see, the metaplot definitely does matter.

Realism and tortuous tie-ins to actual historical events are part of Ubisoft's DNA so lesser known time periods are right out, dynastic China or medieval Japan are probably in though.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

I somehow find myself more hype for this than Origins.

PlushCow posted:

Ship stuff isn't as exciting without cannons, but I will take what I can get.

Think of how much ship combat will rule with GREEK FIRE.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

I wish Ubisoft would do the needful and just let me play as a dagger lady 100% of the time.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Alchenar posted:

The actual Odyssey is pretty rich with source material, I hope they steal liberally from it.

I also hope the tutorial consists of you breaking out of the wooden horse and clearing the guards from the walls of Troy.

Players are gonna complain about that long romance section halfway through the game that takes literally 10 years to finish.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

*pounding with a knife and fork on the table at the top of my lungs* CHICKS WITH BOWS! CHICKS WITH BOWS!

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Come back with your level 25 Phalangite Shield or on it.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carlosologist posted:

To be fair Ubisoft has always done a great job in their historical research for these games so we might see something really well done. For all the flaws about AC3, the one thing that it got right was how the American Revolution wasn't a divine event or anything

I appreciated when they showed that time George Washington become a tyrannical God-King and erected a huge pyramid to himself in New York City, an oft-overlooked but I feel necessary episode in our national history.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

drat this game looks really good, Kassandra looks badass, chicks with bows confirmed. #1 hype game of 2019.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

O wow it's this year? Dunno if that's good or bad given AC's history. Still it's hard to resist a Greek-themed asscreed.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

The myth of Aristophanes will canonically be borne out of two NPCs spawning right on top of each other.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Dapper_Swindler posted:

whats nice about this era is their are plenty of books to read about the era, unlike Ptolemaic Egypt. Hell one of the first modern concepts of historical book came out of that time.

100% chance that the antikythera mechanism is going to show up as some sort of ancient time traveling device.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

I literally can't believe that the next Ubisoft game will have gay romances while the next Bioware game will not. 2018, man.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Finally, an AC game I am 100% looking forward to. Grats Ubisoft.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

Oh my lort shut up and take my :20bux::20bux::20bux: already so I can be this amazing Greek lady.
:swoon:

Seriously can you imagine someone who has played all 47 Assassin's Creed games in order and willingly picks the dude again for this one.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Okay, so this is from the Syndicate team. That's One of the Good Ones, right?

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Ubisoft correctly doesn't give a poo poo anymore and "assassin's creed" is just the name of their historical themed RPG series from now on. Which is great since Bioware has totally fallen off the map.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Kopijeger posted:

They probably won't include it, but it could be interesting if they went all in on the customs that were considered normal back then but distasteful now. Like having Alexios in a pederastic relationship with a younger boy, proper athletic nudity and Kassandra being subject to pretty awful sexism.

:chloe:

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Speaking of jokes, in the gameplay demo yesterday Kassandra had that line to the merc "if you want my head, come and take it" which is a very laconic turn of phrase (in the original Greek the expression is something more like "over my dead body.")

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Orv posted:

300 well kick is literally a combat move in the game.

As a huge Dark Messiah fan, the spartan kick in this game looks amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

When Bayek stabs a dude he canonically sees numbers fly over their heads.