Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Sync is basically the only thing that makes AC gameplay work to me, and Brotherhood had the best implementation of it because it gave actual meaningful prizes.

AC needs less freedom because when you have infinite freedom then there's little interesting push. Full Sync is a good compromise between removing freedom entirely and not having actual reasons to do anything but the one simplest method. (Though honestly even full sync suffers from that.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Subjunctive posted:

If you had to choose one video to show someone who has mostly written off the series, which would it be?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e_161qJ5XHM

This is the one I showed my friends about Syndicate, but obviously bias there.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

khy posted:

So is there a mega thread for Assassin's Creed? I have some questions and I'm not sure if this is the best thread for it or if there's a better one. They are Assassin's Creed related but not Origins related.

Just ask it here. most of the time the current AC thread just becomes the megathread.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Harrow posted:

Yes, but is it an entertaining kind of stupid/bonkers? Syndicate’s brand of stupid mostly bored me, but I can go in for a dose of entertaining nonsense every now and again.

I found it more boring to be honest but YMMV. Bayek is an okay character but I found the cast really dull.

Overall the criticism above was my main one. AC:O waves its hands at serious changes but at the end of the day it's still AC and the new combat system doesn't change it enough, while in the end being honestly less fun than Syndicate's Arkham Lite system. It feels sort of like AC1 where if they keep the changes AC:O2 will be a much better game buuuut it depends on if they do.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Dapper_Swindler posted:

A lot of stuff I have seen is mixed between real criticism( not enough changes, story issues or glitches) to the usual “ why isn’t it like _____”. In this case breathe of the wild. Gamesradar loved it so I am sure I will too.

If you like Asscreed you'll like Origins most likely unless the new combat bounces off you hard, which I think is possible.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Harrow posted:

Man, Syndicate's combat was pretty uninspiring, so if AC:O's is somehow even less fun that's pretty damning for me.

I'll still probably pick this up eventually, because I do fall into that "generally like AssCreed" camp. Though I'm also still a little baffled about the heavy emphasis on RPG leveling and loot. I watched a preview video a couple of days ago where one of the devs talked about how they were committed to the RPG systems, so they made sure those systems really mattered no matter what style of play you went for. I keep trying to think of an action/open-world game that I thought was improved by XP/leveling systems and I still can't think of one. Hell, I even think Witcher 3 would've been better off focusing on alchemy, crafting, and mutagens and ditching XP and levels entirely, and that's a series that started as an RPG.

My big problem with AC:O's combat is that it apes Dark Souls in the most superficial manner. It lacks genuine weight and impact. It has more than the old style but at the end of the day it doesn't have the design sense to really sell that style of combat. It's more dangerous and threatening than AC combat has been ever which is a good thing but I never actually wanted to fight the way that I did in Dark Souls or even in Syndicate. The loot system doesn't help either since it makes skill feel a lot less important than numbers. It doesn't hit the mark between the skillful well-designed play of Souls or the simple button-mashing satisfaction of the older AC games. The biggest advantage I think it has is that it means I genuinely considered stealth instead of wondering why Eziobatman doens't just murder everyone with his invincible combat skills.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Oct 26, 2017

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Harrow posted:

Well, that is a bright side, I guess. The only reason to use stealth in a lot of the previous AC games was just to get perfect sync objectives. Now it's because you might actually get owned if you try to take a direct combat approach.

It sounds like it might have a similar problem with that surface-level "we're Dark Souls now" thing that Lords of the Fallen did, but with the advantage that the shallow copy of Dark Souls combat isn't the entire focus of the game.

Yeah, for how negative I sound about it, I do consider it an advantage because an ongoing problem to me in Assassin's Creed was the fact that I never felt assassination was worth it compared to fighting except in very very rare instances. Here I actually had moments of "well, that poo poo ain't worth it, stealth time." That said loot can impact that a whole lot and there are times where just smashing your way through is totally viable especially with upgrades. (The Charge R2 Sword upgrade wrecks a lot of stuff for example because you can charge with your shield raised.)

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Sinteres posted:

You can only get the in game maps through microtransactions now? wtf

It's the same as the last 2/3 games. You can pay real money to have them marked instantly or find them in-game. it's just pay cheats.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

black.lion posted:

So if I liked original AC, Ezio AC, and Pirate AC, but hated all the other ACs.... will I like this?!?!?!?!?!

Uh... maybe? It depends on what you liked about those but disliked about the others.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Lord Cyrahzax posted:

Is there no database in this one? Not having Shaun is a plus, but I'd like some background on the temples I'm climbing

They are adding an interactive tour guide learning thing later on which should more than satisfy that.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

JustaDamnFool posted:

Honestly it feels like a shame that they've been playing so safe with thier choice of historical setting. There's so many fascinating periods and moments in history that deserve some attention.

I mean to be fair 'safe' also means 'marketable.' More obscure eras would be awesome but are less likely to get people going "WOO YEAH" compared to "You are playing a literal Greek Demigod" or "VIKINGS"

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Fuzz posted:

Russian Revolution Moscow/St Petersburg, Rasputin is the main big bad. You have to kill him and save Anastasia at the end, before the rest of the Bolsheviks come and murder everyone.

Eagle dive off dat Kremlin.

But I already played Shadow Hearts 2.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Dapper_Swindler posted:

i am ok with that. i am more curious about settings than characters at this point anyway. i assume next one will be rome again.

I don't think they'll return to something they've already done TBH. Maybe the same character at some point but not the same setting.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

bike tory posted:

They are definitely releasing a day 1 patch that fixes bugs, but whether it will fix the ones you're talking about is another issue.

The review copies are already on that patch so I would take that into account once the embargo is up.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Yeah the PS4 version is a disaster. Constant bugs, things not triggering, crashes, etc. Probably the least stable game I've played

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Jimbot posted:

Is this with or without a day-one patch?

With.

It was worse without it for sure. I can imagine further patching might help.

I enjoyed the game but it was very much a struggle sometimes.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Nov 9, 2020

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I will say that the weird gap in behavior is very noticeable. Eivor goes from "RAID THEM ALL, DIE WITH YOUR AXE IN YOUR HAND" TO "Gosh that was a bit mean you guys" at the drop of a hat.

But that PC Games thing is dumb. You game over for killing too many of any civilian, same as previous games

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I said come in! posted:

While I am enjoying this game, it feels like a transition period between console generations. The game world is much smaller, there is a huge almost exclusive focus on the main story, and no next gen graphic features were implemented. This is kinda like how it was with AC Black Flag, but then the following Assassins Creed was a true next-gen game.

I don't know how far you are but there are several other lands you visit.

Including Asgard and Jotenheim

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

man nurse posted:

Reviews are saying they actually do poo poo with the directionless modern day story, and not only that, but they tie it all up on a satisfying way?

I’ll have to see that to believe it, but that had me more excited about this game than I was.

I am not sure I can say they tie it up but this is probably the most metaplot focused AC since 3

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Earwicker posted:

i am dissappointed to hear that the modern day story still has any presence whatsoever in this series i wish they would just forget the whole animus thing and be like "in this game you are a greek mercenary" or "in this game you are a viking" or "in this game you are a pirate" and leave it at that, those are interesting and fun enough premises on their own and really don't need a bunch of crap about alien dna and computer simulations

You will probably not be so big on this one then.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Lord Hydronium posted:

Kind of an odd question, but does this game feel connected to the other AC games? I've been replaying AC2 and kinda missing just how much that generation of AC games tied into each other: Altair gets mentioned throughout the Ezio games, the America games all share a lot of the same cast, etc. Meanwhile, the last four games all feel like they exist in their own separate universes. The fact that the metaplot just stopped being a thing might be part of it, but since people are saying that's coming back, I'm wondering if that also means Origins and Odyssey get some shout outs.

Yes. This game is explicitly connected to the other games. You get the origin of some stuff from AC3 for example.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Eimi posted:

So how involved is the modern poo poo in this game? Is it like Last of Us 2 and a dual plot in the game? Or just more substantial than Odyssey? I'm really sad to hear that there's more of it, even if it's good, because I just don't care and want to be a Greek Hero/Viking.

The overall Isu metaplot in central to the game. It isn't a dual plot but they are going hard in

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

So any opinions on male/female/mix eivor?

I like female Eivor in turns of looks/facial animation/etc better but think male Eivor has a better voice.

I decided on lady because looking badass is worth weaker voice acting and because it's hilarious to see a roughly 9 foot tall woman towering over everything

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Simone Magus posted:

Because of these early impressions and also because I have brain cancer, I'm gonna get this instead of Yakuza 7

No, I don't know what's wrong with me. I've just played a lot of yakuza this year!

Yakuza 7 is the better game by a significant degree but I can understand being burned out.

Just know that Yakuza 7 has a mission where you have to stop a man from pissing off a bridge and when he attacks you his job name is Piss Wizard.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Simone Magus posted:

Ahhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!! My wallet!

Assassin's Creed Valhalla has a mission where you get stoned on mushrooms and frolic in a field so it can go both ways.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Eimi posted:

Has to restart. Also whoever changed the default KBM controls from Odyssey is an idiot.

Also is there no option to hide other peoples photos on the map anymore?

Click the "Legend" icon on the map (or however you access on PC)

Bottommost of the options is those sorts of things. As near as I can tell you have to disable all at once, not just individual ones though

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Yorkshire Pudding posted:

I’m in Harholl and my controller is vibrating hard, non stop. I checked the church and there we’re mall chests but that’s it?

Also why is my character getting shiny and I keep hearing a “whoosh” sound? I thought it was a combat thing but it’s doing it a lot.

You may need to restart. I had that happen once.

The worst means you escaped combat/detection

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Power level is very flexible. I took down PL 400 bosses at level 100

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

If you find combat too lethal beeline for two things in the Wolf tree:

Grit- lets you recover most/all of the damage you took if you hit the enemy quickly after. Works with bows too!

Last Chance: makes it impossible to be taken below 0 health in one attack. As long as you Have berries you can recover and then Last Chance resets.

LC also works on fall damage so once you have an excess of rations you can just jump off mountains and then eat a snack. Saves a lot of time.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Eimi posted:

And hell given how they dip into mythology for legendary weapons, Excalibur is right there, since I highly doubt they will return to England but 300-400~ years earlier.

Excalibur is in the game. It is two handed

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Eimi posted:

:negative:

Is it like normal sized and you just two hand grip it? Or is just a greatsword for no reason?

The latter.

It is very very visibly Isu Tech

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Also a big tip: Early on you'll find out Zealots are going to start hunting you before a castle raid. During that raid you'll battle an honorable oppenent and have the chance to spare him.

Sparing him lets you stop Zealots from actively hunting you. This may sound good but is a mixed bag. It means you don't have to worry about high level enemies popping in but it also makes hunting down the Zealots for the Order menu a much bigger pain in the rear end.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Eimi posted:

I have three related questions, when vendors sell gear, is that the only way it can acquired? As well is there any way to actually preview it instead of just dropping down a save? And lastly is there some trick to actually make silver cause despite all the raiding I've done I'm poor.

That's the only way to get it.
Silver will come more and more quickly as you play the game, but don't be afraid to do 200 silver bets on Flytin because Flytin is super easy and that's a good profit.

To be honest you'll run out of things to spend silver on super quickly unless you want to collect every color of every hairstyle or whatever.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Stupid Decisions posted:

Not sure if I am missing something but none of the big churches or longhouses seem to have ways to sneak in? Just did two missions that asked me to assisinate targets but the only way to get to them was breaking down the front door and charging in. Enjoying the raids but sometimes want to do a bit of climbing and sneaking as well.

Also tried to assinate one of the zealots by standing on a high wire above a road and wasn't able to do a drop assasination which is just boring.

Two things that are easy to miss:

Windows can be broken. If a window has black bars in a + along it then you can't go inside through it even if it is broken but if it doesn't then you can just hop in. There is usually at least one in every church.

Keep an eye out for breakable wood when sneaking into longhouses. It's easy to overlook

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Trustworthy posted:

Ooof, the way spears shrink down into tiny little toy spears to fit on your back is pretty distracting :barf:

It bugged me way more with hammers where they transform into itty bitty baby hammers on your waist

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

shortspecialbus posted:

Fighting zealots is the most unfun thing in any assassins creed game ever, including the horrible stealth missions from AC3 and the like.

I did the thing to make them not hunt me. Can I never fight a zealot and still finish the game?

They loving suck and can go gently caress themselves, they are the only thing in the game I'm both bad at and have zero fun doing. There is not enough stamina in the game to dodge their chains of 5 unbreakable attacks and still have enough left for 4 counters in a row. I can stab myself in the dick if I want to get hosed over so badly.

If you haven't gotten it yet the "slow time on near dodge" thing does wonders for that because you only really need one successful dodge to get away from their attacks.

Also using an Ability (I prefer Dive of the Valkyrie) will restore your stamina instantly so you can chain into one of those to keep your assault up.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

SubNat posted:

Ubisoft just astounds me sometimes.

Vision Quest spoiler:
You add a map + questline in Asgard, then add the biggest goddamn collectathon thing in the reboot series, 30 loving tears, for a measly 5 skill points? You probably get like 10+ just doing the quests in asgard!
Why on earth didn't you just like, make one set of equipment or some weapons or -something- that you could barter/craft with the tears, or something? It's especially glaring during launch week when the opal store has some Sleipnir gear on display, you could just have recoloured one of the many many premium-or-opal sets!
I think I looked up the reward after grabbing like 10 of them, and loving hell no.

Vision Quest 2 spoiler:
Ubisoft: hehehehehe this time it's 33 rocks to collect, and no place on the web has yet said what the reward is, beyond 'it's probably like 5 skill points... again.

God, I thought they had fired those designers, since it's not something that's plagued the series much recently. I remember back in the AC2 days that there were tons of things in a similar vein.
Didn't it have some horseshit with like 100 feathers to collect or something?

no, you unlock them in the skill tree, there's like 3 of them scattered around, they're bigger than the normal nodes, smaller than the special ones.

The reward is the same, yes.

The logic behind it appears to be You are in a dream and can't take weapons out of it but like come the gently caress on it isn't like realism is a big deal.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

shortspecialbus posted:

Holy poo poo, this was loving key. Thank you. Trivialized the fight, and calling my wolf in to down him so I could get a stomp in was also super useful.

Anyone else getting frustrated, do whatever you have to for the Brush With Death skill because it's a completely different fight with it, much less frustrating. I didn't expect it to make as much difference as it did, not even close.

Glad it helped!

Another really useful trick for them is the Kick of Tyr or whatever it's called, the rebranded Spartan Kick ability. At level 2 it knocks down enemies and keeps them down for a bit which makes it great for both clearing space or for getting a high-damage stomp in. It's honestly crazy OP. (Very close is Feign Death Level 2 which gives you a free instant stealth attack on whoever you're fighting that isn't a boss and if you combine it with the "timed button press to insta-kill anyone" skill you can basically just wreck the face of any high level enemy with ease.)

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Rinkles posted:

Anything equivalent/similar to Odyssey's Cultist tree?

Yes, it has the exact same thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The Lone Badger posted:

But without the mechanical rewards for killing them.

You get two abilities (and their upgrades) as well as a cloak Which is necessary to get Mjolnir