Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

just popping in to say I'm playing origins again and I have no idea why I stopped, it's so drat good.

the scale blows my mind on a regular basis.

my only regret is getting it for PS4 instead of PC, but I remedied that for Odyssey, which I'll jump on soon as I'm done with this :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Back playing Origins again because I refuse to play Odyssey until I finish the second dlc.

I'm not especially unhappy about this, such a good game and I love Egypt.

I picked Odyssey up for the PC, so the visual jump when I do move from PS4 should be significant.

... AC Aztec when.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

In Origins, do shield mods always work, or are they only active while blocking?

Stuff like absorb rate, melee resist, ranged resist absorb value

victrix fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Aug 25, 2019

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Curse of the Pharohs

:stare:

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Origins team doing ps5 launch AC sounds amazing

There been any rumors about the setting?

I really want AC: Mesoamerica for the awesome or AC: Norse to complete the mythological trilogy

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Please be true

I'm just about to finish Pharohs and move on to Odyssey.

Bit bummed I didn't get a legendary sickle or heavy blade until like the last ten hours, and I still don't have a heavy blunt.

Origins is a hell of a game though man.

Hyped to head to Greece in a few hours.

victrix fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Aug 26, 2019

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

This game

:hawaaaafap:

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Worth saving Orichalcum for anything in particular or just buy Greek loot boxes?

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Aaru is one of the most amazing areas I've seen in any game, loved that place

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Story wise is there an appropriate point to do Legacy of the First Blade or Atlantis? Is lost tales of Greece just extra side quests?

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

moist turtleneck posted:

Does anyone else feel bad when you ride your horse off a cliff only for it to buckle and die while you keep running towards your objective like nothing happened

Everything is permitted

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

moist turtleneck posted:

I don't remember which AC it was but one of them has you start the game by playing office simulator and I quit right there and swore off the series until this Odyssey one because I'm a sucker for Greece

Me but Origins as my reentry

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Super stoked for this game, I adored Origins and Odyssey

... why the gently caress is it releasing just days before Cyberpunk :eng99:

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

I always figured it was leading up to a modern day AC3 with us playing Desmond in some slick assassin v abstergo goons in cities around the globe, secret bases, and skyscrapers

but at some point The Franchise became a thing, so now it has plot armor and cannot die

Building a new beefy pc this week, looking forward to giving this another go

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

it's a chill thing to do on a hill

when it is not chill, I leave the hill

that's the drill

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

metrics based design is a plague on game design and I'm incredibly happy there's a thriving indie scene

I get it, AAA dev is incredibly expensive and risky

but rip you if you fall outside their bell curve of engagement due to your personal preferences (or skill in multiplayer games)

I try to approach games like AC with the goal of just soaking up the Obvious Budget - because I'm not going to get the same quality of narrative or boundary pushing I'll find in some $15 games

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

bike tory posted:

The core gameplay is fun and they've created some decent protagonists recently but I wouldn't pay NZ$160 for that alone and it's why I have zero interest in Ubisoft's other sandbox games.

thinking on it, that's probably why I bounced off watchdogs and ghost recon so hard

the framing there ranges from "I have enough corporate hellscape dystopia in my daily life, I don't need it in my games too thanks" to just pure :chloe: on the ghost recon side

and I like stupid cod games for multiplayer, but trying to immerse myself in a pseudo milsim where I'm Clearly The Good Guy is uh, yeah, not working for me

also why Immortals is cool and good :3:

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Earwicker posted:

the comparisons have already been made quite a lot, Ghost of Tsushima is an AC style game better than most AC's but it also owes quite a lot to the series.

also sengoku period japan is like one of the most overused settings in all of video games. but then vikings come pretty close there as well.

seriously

give me mesoamerican, african, or anything but more Japan

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Kassandra (and Odyssey) must have been extremely popular for them to do this

... which is fine, because Kassandra owns

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

DaysBefore posted:

Haven't played an Assassins Creed since the pirate one (which still rules), but I like the Viking Invasion time period. This game worth picking up? Maybe only on a sale?

all three of the "mythological trilogy" are very similar gameplay wise, I think it mostly comes down to which flavor you prefer, sandy, watery, or peat boggy

I want to say one of them is free to play at the moment, but they all go on sale quite often

e: they're on sale right now on ubis store, big discounts

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

malaka!

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

yes, they all go on sale pretty regularly

take your time and smell the roses, I think all three recent ones are great, but they're less great if you try to shotgun them in a hurry

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

excuse me, my Kassandra was just a big gently caress

everyone

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

did they patch in some way to quick swap bows without going to inventory every time?

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Sakurazuka posted:

Well the next game is going to be a forever gaas that they just keep adding bits to

that legitimately reads to me as 'death of a franchise'

guess we'll see, Ubi isn't doing so hot this year

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

.oO (I should play Immortals instead of more Valhalla)

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

malaka

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Odyssey is flanderized Origins, Valhalla is what I thought I wanted after beating Origins and now I'm the dog that caught the car

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Lobok posted:

I don't understand that trailer. Like it would look like an amazing new game if Assassin's Creed didn't already exist but obviously it does so instead it looks like the most generic entry possible. It was just ticking the usual boxes. Until the VO said the name Basim I wasn't sure if it was just a remake of the first game.

That's pretty much where I landed

Like it totally looks like a very competent AC game... that I've already played several times

I'm sure it'll make some segment of their fanbase happy, but it didn't do a whole lot for me

Mesoamerica, China, Africa, India, SEA, any of those would have piqued my interest even if the core gameplay was bog standard AC fare

But with the re-re-re-rehashed setting and mechanics? :effort:

I'll check it out when it arrives, I don't bear it any significant ill will or anything, they're just not really doing much to get me personally hyped here

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

I liked the meta plot until

man nurse posted:

I liked the meta plot in asscreed a lot, up until the end of 3,

yeah that

Once it became clear it was a cash cow and going to be a forever IP instead of a story with an ending I pretty much totally lost interest in the core conceit of the metaplot because it was very apparent nothing would happen to change the status quo

I fully expected the finale to be AC in modern day, doing rad assassin poo poo in a modern city with all the skills you learned in the past - which, you know, that's sort of what happened, in tiny bits of the games (and I guess in movie?)

But again, they wouldn't commit to ending it or progressing it in any meaningful way

Which doesn't really affect my enjoyment of 'run around beautifully realized historical location stabbing dudes and dudettes', I just don't want to run around in the same historical location again, there's a half dozen super cool places anyone could rattle off that would make for stunning settings, and instead we get Mirage :shrug:

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Earwicker posted:

to me the main problem with the story is that for the last decade or so it has felt like it was written by a group of like 20 people who weren't really communicating with each other

probably more like 200 but yeah

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

ilitarist posted:

I don't see a problem with this at all.

These games immerse you into a historical setting. Part of it is showing you what people believed at the time. Using all the Isu stuff as an excuse to show myths is a good idea. You can argue about the quality of this presentation, but the idea itself is right.

Yeah I've never had any issue with the core nonsense ancient aliens stuff, I think it's actually a fun framing mechanic

The modern metaplot sucks not because it's an inherently flawed idea, but because there's no real stakes since they've made it abundantly clear they'll never go anywhere with it

Which doesn't actually preclude still doing interesting/fun stuff with it in the historical stories

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

finally, AC mesoanerica

https://twitter.com/IGN/status/1663742344066134021?t=NGOq4Va_iS7ieiFVW2271g&s=19

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Ubi hit me with a lengthy survey so my thoughts were tuned to AC for a bit

I find I'm warming to Odyssey over time even more than I did when I played it (and I really liked it!). First Blade was offensively trash, but I loved the mythical dlc both in Origins and Odyssey (one of the areas in Origins is just incredible).

Conversely I still have not finished Valhalla, and like, theoretically vikings are my favorite of the trifecta.

In practice though, Egypt and Kassandra are just too strong and England is loving boring . It's similar to the problem I had with Witcher 3 (other than the assy combat), shithole villages are... well, lovely.

I'll probably give Valhalla another chance at some point, but I feel like revisiting the first two is more likely.

Mirage doesn't do much for me, the prospect of live service Infinity is repulsive, and Japan AC is less exciting with sushi ghost in existence.

That leaves the future of AC in a weird place for me personally. I guess I can't be too upset given the amount of game there is in the too much stuff trilogy, but it would be loving wild to see AC Maya or AC China or whatever with today's fidelity of AAA games.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Earwicker posted:

Mirage comes out October 5 :confused:

i mean i agree its not a particularly exciting new release and not really what i was looking for in a new AC game, but it is a new game

is it really

*klaxons, .gif, youtube face, LAZY UBISOFT title*

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Kuiperdolin posted:

I'll probably wait until it's on sale. First one won't play day one since Brotherhood.

I dropped the series after that because I thought it needed a big rethink

So I came back for Origins and was quite happy with that and Odyssey

... now they're going back to the formula I lost interest in :shepface:

(Valhalla has problems too, we're at another "time for a refresh" point in the series)

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

come to think of it, Far Cry and Watchdogs have the same problem, I think this is an Ubi-wide issue (lol skull n bones)

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

exquisite tea posted:

Chain Assassinate combined with the legendary effect from the Atlantis DLC that did 50% of your assassinate damage as an AOE. :unsmigghh:

If I replay Odyssey I'm going to straight up have to not use the spear power that did repeated stabs, gave you meter, and kept you invulnerable doing it

That ability was an omega tier crutch that I over-abused and while the animation is rad the first few dozen times, I'm completely sick of even the thought of seeing it again (and it loving gets longer when upgraded)

Come to think of it, one of the weapon types in Origins had a similar overpowered ability, but it was less annoying there due to the speed of the anim, only annoying due to other weapons being less useful on higher difficulty

(Valhalla has been so easy I don't care and just use whatever :v:)

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Vandar posted:

I know it's been said a million times over but Valhalla was so loving disappointing compared to Origins and especially Odyssey.

There's a part of me that wants to give it a second chance but then I think about what an absolute slog that playing it was and I just...uuugh.

When I first played Origins I immediately thought "I hope they do Greek and Norse myths"

Be careful what you ask for

(Odyssey is great though so I guess if the price of that is a very mid Norse game, whatever)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

I think that's both what Mirage tries and fails to do

the reviews sound like "yes this is old school ac and that's cool and fun" and at the same time "this is old school ac and they haven't done nearly enough to innovate or iterate that formula within that framework"

which if you look at it from the lens of a prettied up DLC makes plenty of sense - it's not that the fundamental concept is bad (for people who like it of course), it's that even for people predisposed to like it they didn't do enough here, and for those disinclined, it's going to be a total miss

anyway I'm not here to yuck anyone's yum, if running around in Baghdad stabbing mooks sounds like a good time, dig in!